Zuiderdam May 2013 Fuel Fee Applied

Baileybasset

Received an e-mail overnight from HAL notifying us that they have charged us an additional $8.02 per cabin for the surplus fuel charge. Our cruise has been paid in full for two months and does not sail until May 2013. Will they refund the fuel fee if the cost drops? Doubt it. Seems really "cheap" for a cruise line with HAL's reputation to be charging this small a fee on a fare of over $4000 per cabin. I have e-mailed them about this and am awaiting their response. Will post the answer if and when it is received.

Received an e-mail overnight from HAL notifying us that they have charged us an additional $8.02 per cabin for the surplus fuel charge. Our cruise has been paid in full for two months and does not sail until May 2013. Will they refund the fuel fee if the cost drops? Doubt it. Seems really "cheap" for a cruise line with HAL's reputation to be charging this small a fee on a fare of over $4000 per cabin. I have e-mailed them about this and am awaiting their response. Will post the answer if and when it is received.

HAL has posted clearly they reserve the right to re-instate the fuel surcharge - so far we have all been unscathed but it looks like they are bringing them back in place:rolleyes: Maybe that's why the website isn't working today:confused:

I thought fuel prices had been going down - but obviously they suspect something - and yes, they will refund if they can cancel it.

Not a good omen as we cruise in May 2013 too:eek: haven't received anything yet though!

I would watch crude oil prices. They had in fact dropped over the last several months, but in the last month have rebounded pretty strongly.

Two years ago, on Noordam, the Captain stated the 10 day cruise we were on would burn about $700000 in fuel.

How can we tell if the cost goes down? Or do we just trust them?

I guess for now you will have to trust them - they may be basing this on future forecasts - on the bright side - it is actually possible to get on the ship and discover that they have had to add them. There was a big kerfluffle the last time this happened - so I think that is why they are giving you the notice.

From the HAL website - The company reserves the right to re-instate the fuel supplement for all guests at up to $USD9 per person per day if the NYMEX oil price exceeds $USD70 per barrel.

The oil price has been above this for some time - so it would be pretty hard to gage it. Interesting as I checked the May pricing for the Zuiderdam (assuming you are on the May 13th sailing? - only one I saw) and they are not showing the fuel supplement in the pricing - very strange:confused:

Hypercafe - Sorry, you are right. I meant to say only fuel surcharge, not surplus.

Kazu - We are on May 18th sailing.

Thanks - checked the May 18th and the fuel charge isn't showing there either - very strange indeed

I wonder if this charge has anything to do with the introduction of the North America Emissions Control Area? If it is only $8 for the cruise it could be the additional charge for the days when the ship has to change to the lower sulfa fuel?

I wonder if this charge has anything to do with the introduction of the North America Emissions Control Area? If it is only $8 for the cruise it could be the additional charge for the days when the ship has to change to the lower sulfa fuel?

I'm wondering the same thing too? Haven't gotten any notice on the fuel supplement being added to our cruise - and we sail on May 13th - but not going in the op's direction;) Looks like it is $8 per day if I reading the op's post correctly.

Looking forward to what the op finds out.

That makes a lot more sense than thinking it's the reinstatement of the surplus fuel charge.

The surplus fuel charge is per person, not per cabin. And it is a lot more than $8.02; it's $9. per day.

Nowhere in my email document received today does it say Surplus Fuel Charge.

What it does state is that Government Fees and Taxes now exceed the estimated fees and taxes when we booked by $8.02 per person. See attachment below

I am on this same sailing and received the same info, but as I said, it is NOT A FUEL SURCHARGE, it is an increase in Port Fees or Taxes. We just went through this a couple weeks ago on the May 11th cruise that we are also on.

Image2.jpg.dbeb7e9707e98ba15550f779b327caf7.jpg

Joanie

Nowhere in my email document received today does it say Surplus Fuel Charge.

What it does state is that Government Fees and Taxes now exceed the estimated fees and taxes when we booked by $8.02 per person. See attachment below

I am on this same sailing and received the same info, but as I said, it is NOT A FUEL SURCHARGE, it is an increase in Port Fees or Taxes. We just went through this a couple weeks ago on the May 11th cruise that we are also on.

[ATTACH]241160[/ATTACH]

Joanie

Thanks Joanie that makes more sense because 8.02 is such an odd amount for fuel supplement charges. I presume that the 8.02 is a one time fee, not a per day charge?

Joanie: I haven`t received an email yet for my Zuiderdam cruise. I`ll have to check my booking. Never received an email for my Zaandam cruise stating not going to Mazatlan. HAL sure can get people confused.

I think you may have booked after the new tax increase ;)

Hopefully the OP understands that it is the Taxes that went up a total of $8.02 per person and not a Fuel Charge.

Here is the thing with HAL, they change the tax rate FREQUENTLY,(especially Alaska) in all honesty if I changed and sent notifications out on every tax increase/decrease that HAL does it would be half of my day. (OK maybe a bit of stretch here but you get my point) I started to make the changes a few years ago then found a month or 2 later it would decrease and often be less than it started. At this point I never get concerned about the tax charges this far out till it is actually getting close to HAL's Final date. These same cruises had 4 different tax changes last year before final and I expect them to be the same again this year and trust me it will happen after final too.

Here is the thing with HAL, they change the tax rate FREQUENTLY,(especially Alaska) in all honesty if I changed and sent notifications out on every tax increase/decrease that HAL does it would be half of my day. (OK maybe a bit of stretch here but you get my point) I started to make the changes a few years ago then found a month or 2 later it would decrease and often be less than it started. At this point I never get concerned about the tax charges this far out till it is actually getting close to HAL's Final date. These same cruises had 4 different tax changes last year before final and I expect them to be the same again this year and trust me it will happen after final too.

I don't want my TA wasting her time (and flooding my email) sending me a notification every time HAL increases/decreases taxes or port fees. Just at final is fine with me. ;) Now, if it's a price drop, I want to know right away so I can do a little celebratory jig! :D

Thanks Lisa & Joanie - so it's only a port tax increase - and a one time charge - no biggie OP - this happens all the time - it can happen when you board as well - it can also go down. This is totally legit and no biggie IMO.

It's only $8 (and 2 cents) for the entire cruise -no issue - HAL can't control the port taxes. Whew (where is a sigh of relief icon) I thought it was a fuel surcharge - that would add a bit of bill to our cruise next year:eek:

Certainly not surprising. I think I had predicted a fuel surcharge sometime ago when crude started to rise again.

After all, HAL reserves the right to add a fuel surcharge. Read your cruise contract carefully.

Archived