Royal does away with bag tags...except for Suite and Pinnacle guests

Awhile ago a thread was started on ways that RCI could either save money or enhance revenues. Someone suggested exactly this, that RCI should do like the airlines and institute a baggage charge.:rolleyes:

And we think the threads about dining room attire are bad now. :rolleyes: Can you imagine what people will wear over and over again? Good bye formal nights.

Gina

Wow, I am really surprised that no conspiracy theorists have landed here. Isn't it obvious what no tags is leading up to. With all the cut backs and changes that are occurring both here in the cruise industry and the airlines, the obvious next step for RCI after abolishing free luggage tags is to start charging for any luggage that RCI must handle for you. After all, you are perfectly capable of carrying your own luggage. Why should RCI provide you free luggage handling?

I guess you haven't seen this yet:

Readers Not Sold on Carnival’s $50 Pay-for-Perks Scheme

Lately, it seems Carnival just can’t get anything right — at least as far as many Carnival loyalists are concerned. First, cruisers were disappointed with the new VIFP (Very Important Fun Person) past-passenger program. And then, just when the furor was starting to die down, there was yesterday’s announcement: The line will begin testing an unprecedented program that gives a “capacity controlled” number of cruisers access to perks enjoyed by Carnival’s top past passengers (Platinum- and Diamond-level members). For $50 per cabin, cruisers get access to fast-track embarkation, priority dinner seating, express guest services access, priority tendering, early access to their cabin, express luggage delivery, and choice of early or late debarkation.

In a Cruise Critic poll, nearly 70 percent of the 2,000-plus respondents said no way would they pay. Of those, almost 20 percent said they were already upper-level members of the VIFP program and already get priority embarkation and such. And, going by their comments on the original story and posts on Facebook, these elite Carnival cruisers think the value of perks could be diluted by expanding access.

“I think it devaluates the loyalty that people have, and were/are willing to show to any organisation, when you start selling those perks for a fee,” Facebook follower Andi Scott posted.

Trey Troy agreed. “Even though they CLAIM it is Capacity controlled….it still takes away from the value of the program we earned as elites.”

But Platinum- and Diamond-level Carnival cruisers aren’t the only ones who said they’re not fans of the new program. Half of all respondents said they wouldn’t pay because they’d rather spend the money on something else. (Booze was the overwhelming favorite “something else” — FB follower Cindy Yoder pointed out that she could “have 8 cocktails for that.”)

“Nothing listed is worth paying for,” commented Christy Arnold Spivey. “Last several cruises we were on we walked right through embarkation. Luggage delivery is no big deal. We carried off our luggage on majority of last cruises and that was fast also.”

Facebook follower Tommy Johnson agreed, “There is a cost/benefit equation to this offering and, to me, there just isn’t enough benefit (from the items listed) to encourage me to hand over an additional $50. I can do without the stated perks and not feel as though I’m missing out on something.”

Still, far from everyone is dead set against the new program. Just over a quarter of readers said they would be willing to pay for access to elite-level perks like fast-track embarkation and early cabin access.

“Had a suite last year with priority embarkation and it was awesome. Definitely worth $50 bucks,” commented Barbara Saylor.

Facebook follower Nanette Wise Moreira also said she was keeping an open mind. “I wanna get my fun on. I will say this, I don’t want to be nickel and dimed to death like the airlines. But I may try this new thing.”

One brave reader even tipped his hat to Carnival for the sheer marketing brilliance of the program.

Tom Pecena, owner of Ahoy Cruises, commented: “Great money maker. They are charging for things that don’t cost a dime.” Pecena added he wouldn’t pay for any of it, “as I know from experience it won’t make one iota of difference in the cruise experience.”

http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2012/08/08/readers-not-sold-on-carnivals-50-pay-for-perks-scheme/?isalt=0

Wow RCI is now in the same class as Carnival and NCL. Woah..that is not good. But..I will handle it and print them out and attach them with a stapler.Ug...:D:D:D

This should come as no surprise to anyone.....Royal Caribbean International's Senior Vice President of Sales is Vicki Freed. Freed joined Royal after 29 years with Carnival Cruise Lines, where she spent the last 15 years as senior vice president of Sales and Marketing.

This should come as no surprise to anyone.....Royal Caribbean International's Senior Vice President of Sales is Vicki Freed. Freed joined Royal after 29 years with Carnival Cruise Lines, where she spent the last 15 years as senior vice president of Sales and Marketing.

Maybe Carnival secretly still has her on the payroll. RCI better watch out!:D

What the he--, make your OWN tags with friggin' colored construction paper and then laminate it, paint, cut, paste, WHATEVER!!!! Get your children/grands involved. It'll be therapeutic for the whole family! Have a few drinks while you're doing it, and you won't give a flyin' hoot what RCCL does...:eek:

Or maybe Carnival just wants to have fewer things to change after it buys RCI.

LOL. Heck they own just about everyone else.

I am not worried. I haven't sailed RCI in a long time but have been eyeballing some potential cruises with them for within the year. Printing tags isn't going to kill me. I will print em off at work where everyone can see them and make them jealous. lol

Prior to this whole episode, people who have preprinted their own tags have suggested laminating them because they tend to rip off if you don't. Laminating, cutting, punching holes, and using twist ties is 'arts and crafts' to me. I'm glad you don't mind it. I don't want to do it for 5 people.

I am with you! There should be somethings that can be done more efficiently but remain for the convenience of everyone .. guests and employees etc. !!

It's really sad seeing adults complaining about such a stupid thing. If you don't want to print them yourself, you can ask the porter. He has plenty and they are as good! get over it guys, it's a fact and you will have to live with it. As simple as that!

It's really sad seeing adults complaining about such a stupid thing. If you don't want to print them yourself, you can ask the porter. He has plenty and they are as good! get over it guys, it's a fact and you will have to live with it. As simple as that!

No, what's really sad is your criticism.

Yes, criticism for adults complaining about such a stupid thing. Really don't get it. How many times a year do someone cruise on average that they can't print or just ask the porter for that label?

Yes, criticism for adults complaining about such a stupid thing. Really don't get it. How many times a year do someone cruise on average that they can't print or just ask the porter for that label?

As long as no one is taking those options away from you just relax and don't worry about what concerns others.

Agreed

A lot:D

So you are the judge of what's stupid and what's not?

Actually there has been very little complaining on here and a lot more humour than anything else. :p

It's to some of us just the "principal" of yet another small gesture that some appreciate being taken away.

LOL. Heck they own just about everyone else.

I am not worried. I haven't sailed RCI in a long time but have been eyeballing some potential cruises with them for within the year. Printing tags isn't going to kill me. I will print em off at work where everyone can see them and make them jealous. lol

You've got to be kidding me. You mean you're still planning to cruise RCI after hearing about this problem? :rolleyes:

Gina

......Hey Lovey....Is "porter" what you refer to Gilligan these days? Give my best to Mr. Thurston Howell III..........

Not funny.:(:D:D

Sure it is OB........because it cannot happen......thanks to the U.S. Government laws!

Oh, wait.....we have a President that can sign anything he wants to, and just blow off congress.........so, you might be right...........Not funny!!:(:D:D

Rick

Hard to take someone serious who names themself after a puppet :p :D

7742794162_6f4e0b5704.jpg

Archived