Royal does away with bag tags...except for Suite and Pinnacle guests

OK -- We all know that we have options to deal with this change:

-- we can do the "martha stewart thing" -- printing, laminating, hole-punching, zip-tying, etc;

-- we can go online and buy cheap luggage tag holders (probably what I'll do); or,

-- we can get blank tags at the pier and fill them out ourselves (or have the porters fill them out).

So, it has been well established that we all have above-average intelligence (and crafting skills) -- and we can deal with this new cutback of services. But, my question is WHY? The cruise lines have always said that passengers can bring on checked luggage, and the cruise line will get it from the pier to your room. Given that, it's in their best interest to have your bags properly tagged in advance, so they can deliver them in a timely manner. The best way to accomplish that goal is to send you the durable, pre-printed tags for all of your checked bags. Of course, if the cruise line can get away with totally shifting that burden to YOU (at no cost to themselves), they will -- and apparently, they have. :rolleyes:

Ah-Ha

Trying to keep-up with this thread,,, I've come to this conclusion..

It started as an interesting and informative forum..

It has morphed into an entertaining and fun thread..

As I now see it.. The question is

To PRINT or not to PRINT

I see this to be an easy solution..

We simply abolish the tags all together

No more porters to tip!!

We all Pull Lug and Tug our own bags to our cabin..

Think about it!!

No more loss of luggage

No more trips to the naughty room!!

Your cabin bar will be stocked the way You like.it..

Remember the good old days ??

Now before you start throwing things at me,,,,, Keep in mind your monitor is fragile.. :D:D

Ah-Ha

Trying to keep-up with this thread,,, I've come to this conclusion..

It started as an interesting and informative forum..

It has morphed into an entertaining and fun thread..

As I now see it.. The question is

To PRINT or not to PRINT

I see this to be an easy solution..

We simply abolish the tags all together

No more porters to tip!!

We all Pull Lug and Tug our own bags to our cabin..

Think about it!!

No more loss of luggage

No more trips to the naughty room!!

Your cabin bar will be stocked the way You like.it..

Remember the good old days ??

Now before you start throwing things at me,,,,, Keep in mind your monitor is fragile.. :D:D

Just think how full the windjammer would be with all those extra bags on embarkation day:eek:

C & A benefit listing on RCI website states that Diamond plus and above will get luggage tags. I can't copy to here for some reason.

Those are the plastic tags with Crown and Anchor Diamond Plus member on one side..........our info on the other.......ID tags,basically.......not cabin number ones.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion... obviously. :)

Personally, I'll miss the tags, but just a very tiny bit.

I did just order the clear laminate ones, and I kind of like the idea of maybe personalizing them a bit. I think I'll put bright card stock under the ship tags and they can double-duty of being easy identifiers when my luggage is on the carousel roundabout.

Those are the plastic tags with Crown and Anchor Diamond Plus member on one side..........our info on the other.......ID tags,basically.......not cabin number ones.

Thanks for clarifying. I guess because it's under planning I thought it meant the ones for your cabin.

Sure it is OB........because it cannot happen......thanks to the U.S. Government laws!

Oh, wait.....we have a President that can sign anything he wants to, and just blow off congress.........so, you might be right...........Not funny!!:(:D:D

Rick

Rick,

Now I'm definitely looking forward to meeting you on JW crossing!:cool:

OK -- We all know that we have options to deal with this change:

-- we can do the "martha stewart thing" -- printing, laminating, hole-punching, zip-tying, etc;

-- we can go online and buy cheap luggage tag holders (probably what I'll do); or,

-- we can get blank tags at the pier and fill them out ourselves (or have the porters fill them out).

So, it has been well established that we all have above-average intelligence (and crafting skills) -- and we can deal with this new cutback of services. But, my question is WHY? The cruise lines have always said that passengers can bring on checked luggage, and the cruise line will get it from the pier to your room. Given that, it's in their best interest to have your bags properly tagged in advance, so they can deliver them in a timely manner. The best way to accomplish that goal is to send you the durable, pre-printed tags for all of your checked bags. Of course, if the cruise line can get away with totally shifting that burden to YOU (at no cost to themselves), they will -- and apparently, they have. :rolleyes:

I will do none of those 3 things. I'll just print, fold and tape. No Martha Stewart thing required.

But now that you mention it, what would happen if the airlines did this with luggage tags? :eek: Made us put our own on. LOL They don't do much for us anymore other than get us from point A to point B. But at least they put a nice sturdy tag on our bag. Oh wait, RCI will do that for us if we wait until we get to the pier. Never mind. :rolleyes:

Gina

Rick,

Now I'm definitely looking forward to meeting you on JW crossing!:cool:

How much trouble am I in now?? I didn't want to bring anything political into this baggage tag discussion.......but there was this issue thrown out, and I felt that I needed to respond to it.;)

And, yes........I'm looking forward to meeting you as well. We have 6 days left before we leave!

Back to the subject of tags..........of which I have already purchased and used, on another line, the luggage tag holders that Amazon sells.:)

Rick

PS......I leave all of the political discussions to my bride.....who will also be aboard!!

Sure it is OB........because it cannot happen......thanks to the U.S. Government laws!

Oh, wait.....we have a President that can sign anything he wants to, and just blow off congress.........so, you might be right...........Not funny!!:(:D:D

Rick

Wow, Rick. You think that it would be a good idea for Carnival to buy Royal Caribbean?!?!??!

Wow, Rick. You think that it would be a good idea for Carnival to buy Royal Caribbean?!?!??!

I think he means it's not funny because it could happen. :confused: Maybe. I'm not quite sure what he meant. :o

I guess it could happen. But there is no sign of that. Let's hope not. Am I making myself clear? LOL

Gina

No! I just think that we live in a world today, where our constitution is not practiced, and anything COULD happen.........just sayin.

The anti trust put in place, some time ago, does not allow Carnival to purchase anything else that would allow them to dominate the business to the point of dictating pricing. That is a fact. The book....."The Devil on the Deep Blue Sea" great reading..........will point that out. The Arison Family tried to purchase Celebrity, and with the Royal Caribbean management team of old......they outfoxed the Arisons, but with that, there were anti trust laws that were set up, so that Carnival could not acquire more cruiselines.

Oh, well, a lot of good this does for the subject of baggage forms!:D

Rick

No! I just think that we live in a world today, where our constitution is not practiced, and anything COULD happen.........just sayin.

The anti trust put in place, some time ago, does not allow Carnival to purchase anything else that would allow them to dominate the business to the point of dictating pricing. That is a fact. The book....."The Devil on the Deep Blue Sea" great reading..........will point that out. The Arison Family tried to purchase Celebrity, and with the Royal Caribbean management team of old......they outfoxed the Arisons, but with that, there were anti trust laws that were set up, so that Carnival could not acquire more cruiselines.

Rick

I was wondering if you were going off onto some anti-trust tangent. :D You should be off practicing your tag making. No wait....you get them mailed to you on both counts. If you can get the button to show up. :rolleyes: :p Good luck with that! :)

Gina

Rick

And for that we are thankful. Carnival wouldn't know what to do with such innovative ships from either RCI or Celebrity. ;) And to keep this thread on subject, the change is not a big deal to me. If we have to make tags then we make tags. Most other cruise lines have made the move to self printing tags.

Rick

CC software will not allow me to use enough :rolleyes: to adequately express my feelings on that matter.;)

And for that we are thankful. Carnival wouldn't know what to do with such innovative ships from either RCI or Celebrity. ;) And to keep this thread on subject, the change is not a big deal to me. If we have to make tags then we make tags. Most other cruise lines have made the move to self printing tags.

Gordon....I have heard that comment many times in this thread....however almost all those other cruise lines also fall under one company....Carnival Corporation.

CC software will not allow me to use enough :rolleyes: to adequately express my feelings on that matter.;)

.....To the nominating committee I would like to put Ocean Boy's name for "Man of the Year" consideration........:)

....."speech...speech...speech......"""

There is a web site that sells all sorts of cruise related stuff and I ordered these really nice luggage tag holders from them. They are re-usable clear plastic. You take your printed luggage tag, fold, insert it into the holder and attach to your luggage handle with the included strap. Mine were around $3 each which includes the shipping cost. I love them! No more laminating, packing tape etc.

Google cuise luggage tag holders and you should find it.

I did...and thanks :)

Packing tape works perfectly - although I have to admit I will miss the excitement i get when I open my mailbox and see the envelope from RCI :o

Oh well, no biggie here.

I always loved getting my docs and luggage tags in the mail though and doing the doc dance. My first 2 RC cruises, our docs were even spiral bound books, then they went to just stapled.

Archived