On the Dream and NOT happy~!

pomlover

Had nothing but trouble since boarding the Dream yesterday! The safe in our room did not work. Which isn't that big of deal, but we told the 'room' guy and he reported it. Still wasn't fixed that evening, today when we left we ask them to fix it while in port. Was told to call housekeeping. Which I did. Got back from port, still wasn't fixed. finally at almost 9pm, someone came to fix it. First night in dining room we had to wait over 2 hours for our food. I understand it takes alot to get everyone served. But we had alot of empty tables in our areas. Today after a nice nap we started to get ready for first elegant night, then realized our toliet didn't work! We have 2 kids in our cabin and this isn't good. We called maintenence, was told to wait and someone would be right there. We waited a while, noone! So I took kids up to get something to eat, NOT in dinning room, while husband waited for plumber. Guess they wanted to make sure we didn't do something to the toliet??? I called the room to see what was going on, husband was helping 'fix' toliet! Then after guy left my husband had to clean up bathroom floor!! Crazy! He smelled awful! And he was so hungry! We went to talk to guest services and got an apology and got some lame excuse about the toliet. My family has owned a hardware business for over 40 years and I can hear BS when I hear it. Anyway, husband didn't want to get maintnence guy in trouble about him asking for help. But guest services only wanted to talk about that. If my husband didn't help him, the toliet wouldn't have got fixed! We have cruised over 12+ times and only last 4 or so with Carnival because of our kids. But I will say this trip just may change things. We aren't the only one having trouble. So I figure they will have alot of comliments. I hope they get all these problems worked out before the next sail!

Had nothing but trouble since boarding the Dream yesterday! The safe in our room did not work. Which isn't that big of deal, but we told the 'room' guy and he reported it. Still wasn't fixed that evening, today when we left we ask them to fix it while in port. Was told to call housekeeping. Which I did. Got back from port, still wasn't fixed. finally at almost 9pm, someone came to fix it. First night in dining room we had to wait over 2 hours for our food. I understand it takes alot to get everyone served. But we had alot of empty tables in our areas. Today after a nice nap we started to get ready for first elegant night, then realized our toliet didn't work! We have 2 kids in our cabin and this isn't good. We called maintenence, was told to wait and someone would be right there. We waited a while, noone! So I took kids up to get something to eat, NOT in dinning room, while husband waited for plumber. Guess they wanted to make sure we didn't do something to the toliet??? I called the room to see what was going on, husband was helping 'fix' toliet! Then after guy left my husband had to clean up bathroom floor!! Crazy! He smelled awful! And he was so hungry! We went to talk to guest services and got an apology and got some lame excuse about the toliet. My family has owned a hardware business for over 40 years and I can hear BS when I hear it. Anyway, husband didn't want to get maintnence guy in trouble about him asking for help. But guest services only wanted to talk about that. If my husband didn't help him, the toliet wouldn't have got fixed! We have cruised over 12+ times and only last 4 or so with Carnival because of our kids. But I will say this trip just may change things. We aren't the only one having trouble. So I figure they will have alot of comliments. I hope they get all these problems worked out before the next sail!

From one of your previous posts ---

Thank you! Some people will find problems with anything. You have to learn to go with the flow. I you are on a big ship, you have to expect certain things as lines, slower elevators, etc.

I have been on a certain ship that on our floor the "smell" wasn't too pleasant. But you have to realize, that smell is US!! And the ship does it's best to get rid of if when they can! I Just held my breath, walked a little faster and just kept going! It isn''t any different than being in my own house! LOL

I hope your cruise gets better !

Oh my gosh where is your room? I wonder if other cabins had similiar problems in that area?

Don't let that stop your vacation how is the food, how is the entertainment, enjoy the rest of it, things happen. I was once on the Imagination and our ac was not working hardly at all, it was summer months was too warm to sleep it happens unfortunately. If you have further problems in your cabin be presistant for somebody to fix it. Do they have another cabin for you to change to?

We were on the Dream back in May and our cabin was on Deck 2, a cove balcony. Our cabin had toilet issues 3 days of our sailing. It was a headache but they always came within an hour to fix it. unfortunately, toilet issues can be common on cruise ships or at least the several I have been on.

Hope the rest of your cruise gets better!!

It will get better. You've got the power to make the rest of your cruise as good as you allow it!

Happy cruising!

We had some issues on our Dream cruise, but the thing that made it OK was how quickly and satisfactorily the issue was resolved. I can't say enough good things about their Guest Relations team!

Doesn't sound like your issues are being handled as efficiently, so you may want to try this:

English is MY second language, and I know that at least for me, its easier to READ something to understand it. That's why I took the time to WRITE my complaints to the Guest Relations team onboard. Since it's an international crew (many whose English is somewhat limited), I figured I would be more successful with this approach instead of trying to explain the entire situation verbally.

I don't know if that's the specific reason why, but after I dropped my letter off at Guest Relations, my issue was resolved almost immediately, an onboard credit was posted to our account (for our trouble), and we received multiple follow up calls to ensure the issue had been resolved to our satisfaction! :D

If the maintenance guy needed help to fix the toilet, he should have asked another crew member. And cleaned the floor up himself or called housekeeping to do it. Even when the cabin steward is off duty there are others who will fill in when needed. There's no way your husband should have been expected to do either.

That's kind of your husband to not want to get the employee in trouble, I worry about that sort of thing myself but this never should have happened.

I hope word got out about what happened because none of that was ok. Including making you all wait to get something important like a toilet fixed. The maintenance guy needs to learn better problem solving & customer service skills.

I hope the rest of your cruise goes better.

I don't understand why your husband did not call the cabin steward about cleaning up the toilet mess. You also fail to mention if you spoke to the maitre d about the length of time for dinner. I find it hard to believe you sat there for almost two hours and said nothing.

Is this the first cruise since drydock?

We unknowingly got stuck on one of those once.

They hadn't finished, so work continued on our cruise. Add to that a possibly new assembled cruise, and that "well oiled machine" falls apart real quick.

I have leaned to keep away from post dry docks, made easier now that they publish them, and new builds.

They hadn't finished, so work continued on our cruise. Add to that a possibly new assembled cruise, and that "well oiled machine" falls apart real quick.

Anybody remember the horror stories from when the Holiday returned to service after hurricane Katrina? The ship had gone through "upgrades" right before, and there were stories of overflowing toilets, carpets damp with sewage, electrical problems, and overall, a ship that smelled like....well....sewage!

Anybody remember the horror stories from when the Holiday returned to service after hurricane Katrina? The ship had gone through "upgrades" right before, and there were stories of overflowing toilets, carpets damp with sewage, electrical problems, and overall, a ship that smelled like....well....sewage!

Ah yes. Plenty of Holiday stories, yet I can't remember even one for whichever Fantasy class ship that joined her.

And then there were a plethora of stories regarding the Tropicale.

I definately not doubt the OP had these problems but I never let my honey nor would he help maintence fix the toilet, its not his job to do that, and I am very surprised maintence allowed this unless your husband was persistant in doing so. Let maintence fix the issues, its not your job enjoy your cruise.

Toilet is fixed, and your husband now has a story to tell about how he helped fix plumbing on a cruise ship. Not everyone can say that. :D I do agree though that malfunctioning cabins and slow dining service are a pain when you've paid good money for a cruise.

We've had toilet issues before - I think once on RC and once on Carnival. Things like that happen on a cruise ship and luckily it was fixed promptly both times.

We've also had a safe not work and that was a long adventure to try and get fixed. We ended up putting some of our items in a safe box at guest services. It was a little bit of a hassel to do that, but it was better than risking items being stolen. Maybe you could ask for use of a safe box too.

Good luck OP. We'll be on the Dream next week.

I have leaned to keep away from post dry docks, made easier now that they publish them, and new builds.

I had the same experience on the Fantasy just out of dry dock a few years ago. We literally sat in New Orleans terminal 5 hours. There were a few vending machines in the terminal but otherwise no food available, and those emptied out quickly. I had a few snacks in my carry on, as usual for the "just in case". We pulled out a deck of cards and between that and watching the angry and frustrated people act out, were pretty entertained. The ship was planned to sail at 430but the actual departure was midnight.

When we finally were allowed to board, officers in white uniforms were putting out new lounge chairs around the decks, literally taking them out of the boxes. We were told eventually that the delay was for additional "crew member" to arrive. They were flying people in from Atlanta. The new Water Works area was still being completed and wasn't operational yet, so kids were disappointed. There was a bit of a "smell" in some areas, which is the nature of the beast sometimes. It is a boat, after all. There was a leak in the ceiling (from Water Works on Verandah) into the Lido buffet area; ice machines weren't working, etc. BUT, I still had a great trip. Not many people knew about the new Serenity area on that ship, but my friends and I did and enjoyed it pretty much all by ourselves for the first couple of days-then the secret got out. Anyway, I also learned my lesson about 1st sailing out of dry dock. I think it's a good idea to give it a few weeks for the kinks to be worked out.

I hope you're cruise gets better. We've had safe issues before on a RC cruise, but they fixed it promptly. Same cruise our friends had issues with their toilet and that did not go well. The toilet was actually taken from the wall for 24 hours. My friend finally went to guest services in tears and they moved them to a different cabin (better cabin; oceanview to balcony), but they were only able to because someone had gotten off the ship in one of the ports. They were given obc, and a bunch of goodies for their son.

Archived