Future Cruise Credit

janny444

Hi....can someone please tell me what you receive for booking a future cruise credit while on board ship?

You receive up to a 3 category upgrade and an OBC . The amount of the credit depends on the length of your cruise. $50 for less than 7 days up to $300 for a cruise of 14 days or longer. You can transfer your booking to a TA for additional credits.

Hi....can someone please tell me what you receive for booking a future cruise credit while on board ship?

You get a couple category upgrade (but I believe this is only within certain cabin types). But this disappears if you change cabins or cruises at a later time and doesn't apply to the "passages certificate" which is basically a deposit towards a cruise to be named.

You also get OBC (on board credit) for the future cruise - the amount varies on the length of the cruise. Note that this can not be combined with most other OBC or promotional discounts provided by Celebrity. They don't allow "stacking" of OBC unless the OBC is funded by a travel agent.

And the deposit is reduced. It is only $100 per person. And you can pay only $100 and have the other person in the cabin listed as To Be Decided. That way you can have a hold on a 14 night or longer cruise for a lot less than if you booked off ship. And the booking number can even be transfered to another cruise if you change your mind. Great idea!! I like it better than the future cruise certificate as that one is non-refundable.

And the deposit is reduced. It is only $100 per person. And you can pay only $100 and have the other person in the cabin listed as To Be Decided. That way you can have a hold on a 14 night or longer cruise for a lot less than if you booked off ship. And the booking number can even be transfered to another cruise if you change your mind. Great idea!! I like it better than the future cruise certificate as that one is non-refundable.

I too rather book a specific cruise. There are restrictions on the use of Passages Certificate that may limit it's use.

Can someone clarify? A Future Cruise Credit is actually booking a specific cruise while on board, with applicable reduced deposit, OBC and upgrade, but a Passages Certificate is a reduced deposit certificate that gives you and OBC for a cruise not yet selected? Is neither refundable?

And did I read this right - you can book the cruise with only one $100 credit, even though you intend to sail with another person?

Thanks.

Edited by BlueCat1105

I may have the names incorrect. What I'm calling a Future Cruise Certificate is what you purchase on board when you are booking an actual cruise and leave with the cabin assignment et al. Doing this entitles you to the category upgrade and the OBC and the reduced deposit.

What you call a Passages certificate (or whatever its called) is when you buy a piece of paper that simply gives you a confirmation number for a cruise you have yet to decide upon.

Both options can be booked with only the $100 deposit. The difference is the monies you put down for the cruise you booked and chose a cabin onboard for IS refundable; the Passages Certificate is NOT refundable. It stays good forever so if you are sure you will cruise X at some point I suppose it makes sense to take advantage of the OBC and reduced deposit. But note that with the Passages booking you will forfeit the 3 category cabin upgrade. That is only done with the FCC when you are actually chosing your cabin.

Clear as mud?

I may have the names incorrect. What I'm calling a Future Cruise Certificate is what you purchase on board when you are booking an actual cruise and leave with the cabin assignment et al. Doing this entitles you to the category upgrade and the OBC and the reduced deposit.

What you call a Passages certificate (or whatever its called) is when you buy a piece of paper that simply gives you a confirmation number for a cruise you have yet to decide upon.

Both options can be booked with only the $100 deposit. The difference is the monies you put down for the cruise you booked and chose a cabin onboard for IS refundable; the Passages Certificate is NOT refundable. It stays good forever so if you are sure you will cruise X at some point I suppose it makes sense to take advantage of the OBC and reduced deposit. But note that with the Passages booking you will forfeit the 3 category cabin upgrade. That is only done with the FCC when you are actually chosing your cabin.

Clear as mud?

The upgrade is really not a big deal. I usually wind up booking a category I'd be satisfied with and then look for price drops. Usually go from a balcony to AQ or even a Suite. It's really about the OBC and the ability to essentially double up by transfering to a TA. I normally get the OBC from celebrity and gratuties from my TA. In terms of deposit, it's really a case of pay now or pay later. You'll need to pay the full amount at some time.

You also must be aware that Passages may not be valid with certain promotions. I really find that since I hold stock the Passages are really not a bonus for me. Every case and person is different.

How do you go about to book one of these options whilst on board? Is it heavily advertised or do you go to a specific desk & request some more information?

Also, does it apply to any Celebrity cruise (ie. worldwide?)

Applies to every Celebrity cruise. You go to the Future Cruise Office. On S Class ships it's on deck 5 midship port. On M Class ships on deck 3 to the right of Guest Relations. On Starboard side. You can also book Azamara and RCL, but the programs differ.

Edited by Orator

How do you go about to book one of these options whilst on board? Is it heavily advertised or do you go to a specific desk & request some more information?

The future cruise salesperson on board generally does at least one presentation. Look at the Celebrity Today for a presentation/seminar from future cruise salesperson. We generally attend and often find them worthwhile.

And, lets see if I can make this make sense....in my opinion it is a good idea to book a couple of bookings on board. If you use them great; if you don't then the booking confirmation number is transferable to something else. And in this case the deposit is always refundable.

I book in advance.......8-12 months or more.. I shop until I know that I have a good price. I have tried to book on the ship. Every time, I have found that I can do better. On my last cruise, the price that I was given for my next cruise was much higher than what I paid.......almost double. I have friends who think that they are getting a good deal booking while sailing. They also do not shop prices. Usually they go to a local TA and just pay whatever. For them, they got a deal. Shopping for better fares takes time. I am retired and can take time to shop. my advice is to look at cruise before you sail. Know where you want to sail and know what the fares are. That way, you can compare fares. Do not let the holiday spirit sway you into booking blindly.......unless money is no object!

The upgrade is really not a big deal. I usually wind up booking a category I'd be satisfied with and then look for price drops. Usually go from a balcony to AQ or even a Suite. It's really about the OBC and the ability to essentially double up by transfering to a TA. I normally get the OBC from celebrity and gratuties from my TA. In terms of deposit, it's really a case of pay now or pay later. You'll need to pay the full amount at some time.

You also must be aware that Passages may not be valid with certain promotions. I really find that since I hold stock the Passages are really not a bonus for me. Every case and person is different.

Mmmmm...as an earlier post said...clear as mud. I have only ever done FCC with Princess and that is straight forward.

Just wondering about the above quote....we have a balcony cabin booked on the Infinity next May...if the price drops would we automatically receive an upgrade to maybe a suite...if we are lucky...or is it something we have to watch out for ourselves and if the price drops get in touch with Celebrity. We booked through a TA

Mmmmm...as an earlier post said...clear as mud. I have only ever done FCC with Princess and that is straight forward.

Just wondering about the above quote....we have a balcony cabin booked on the Infinity next May...if the price drops would we automatically receive an upgrade to maybe a suite...if we are lucky...or is it something we have to watch out for ourselves and if the price drops get in touch with Celebrity. We booked through a TA

Not automatic and to add to the confusion, not an upgrade. Here's how it works:

You book a cruise. Let's say you book a balcony at 899 pp. Let's say a month later you go online and see that an AQ cabin has been reduced to 899 pp. You contact your TA and request a switch to the AQ, no money due. Now, let's say that the AQ has been reduced from 1099 to 999 and you would like to switch. In this case, since you already paid 899 pp you would simply add 100 pp. Let's say your balcony has been increased to 999pp could you just switch to AQ? NO, since you actually paid 899 pp, you would need to add the extra 100pp. You can move up any time, even after final payment so watch for price drops. You will always keep your OBC no matter how many times you move. It goes with you.

Aaahh...methinks I understand...if an higher grade is reduced to what I have already paid I can switch to the higher grade. Does that apply after the final payment date or just up to the final payment date.

Thank you everyone for your replies

...& it can be very confusing.

We always 'buy this option' while onboard.

We do it for an 'unknown' cruise because we only book through internet agencies that give us the most perks.

We put our $100. down last year. We just booked a cruise on the Equinox for next March. This really is the best we have done because before we have always done 7 day cruises & got $100. onboard credit. This next cruise is 10 days so we get $200. OBC !

Can't beat that. My original $100. became the down payment.

BE SURE TO GET YOUR PAPERWORK WHILE ON THE SHIP & CHECK IT CAREFULLY !

Make sure there is NO agency listed. That way when you book, you just sign it over to whoever you like.

One time they automatically put the name of the agency we had used for that cruise we were on. I did not notice it. A year later when I went to use the certificate, they said I could only use that agency. What a nightmare. It took a week of calls. I had to get that agency to 'release' their rights & the next agency to accept them.

Aaahh...methinks I understand...if an higher grade is reduced to what I have already paid I can switch to the higher grade. Does that apply after the final payment date or just up to the final payment date.

Thank you everyone for your replies

You can upgrade at any time. They are always happy to take more money :)

It really does seem the road to go BUT I have seen a cruise for next September but as I said I don't sail until next May....could I book next September's cruise now and then when I am on board next May do the FFC credit and use it for the September 13 cruise....I know I will have paid a deposit but wondering if I would receive the OBC for the booked cruise.:confused:

It really does seem the road to go BUT I have seen a cruise for next September but as I said I don't sail until next May....could I book next September's cruise now and then when I am on board next May do the FFC credit and use it for the September 13 cruise....I know I will have paid a deposit but wondering if I would receive the OBC for the booked cruise.:confused:

Sorry, can't do that.

Not automatic and to add to the confusion, not an upgrade. Here's how it works:

You book a cruise. Let's say you book a balcony at 899 pp. Let's say a month later you go online and see that an AQ cabin has been reduced to 899 pp. You contact your TA and request a switch to the AQ, no money due. Now, let's say that the AQ has been reduced from 1099 to 999 and you would like to switch. In this case, since you already paid 899 pp you would simply add 100 pp. Let's say your balcony has been increased to 999pp could you just switch to AQ? NO, since you actually paid 899 pp, you would need to add the extra 100pp. You can move up any time, even after final payment so watch for price drops. You will always keep your OBC no matter how many times you move. It goes with you.

Hi Orator, it does not work with me. My travel agent informs me that Celebrity says price reductions are for new bookings only. Lets say I have bought an open passsage certificate during a cruise in January 22nd. Then on August decide to book a cruise for November, which has a back to back reduction. The time of my booking appears as of January and not August. Celebrity has refused to give the back to back reduction, insisting that mine was not a new booking. Celebrity has also refused to allow me to change to Aqua after final payment, arguing again that this was for new bookings only. However many others on my board were able to do it. What am I doing wrong?

Hi Orator, it does not work with me. My travel agent informs me that Celebrity says price reductions are for new bookings only. Lets say I have bought an open passsage certificate during a cruise in January 22nd. Then on August decide to book a cruise for November, which has a back to back reduction. The time of my booking appears as of January and not August. Celebrity has refused to give the back to back reduction, insisting that mine was not a new booking. Celebrity has also refused to allow me to change to Aqua after final payment, arguing again that this was for new bookings only. However many others on my board were able to do it. What am I doing wrong?

I note you are from South America. Perhaps this is why you are not able to change as easily as others. We are in Australia and sometimes experience the same issue, as each region seems to have their own, and different, booking terms and conditions.

I note you are from South America. Perhaps this is why you are not able to change as easily as others. We are in Australia and sometimes experience the same issue, as each region seems to have their own, and different, booking terms and conditions.

That could very well be the reason. Different regions have different booking rules. Here's another possibility (althugh I think you're correct): Sometimes a TA will move you to a group booking which could save you $$$. You'll know this if they ask you to palce more money down. Once you are part of a griuop booking your reservation is through the Group Sales department and you can no longer receive individual discounts. Sometimes the cheaper group rate is not the best way to go. Your TA should be able to advise.

Would this also apply if the booking is made in England that we can't take advantage of any price drop?