Wine Permitted to Carry Onboard Now

gw2fll

The packages will be sold onboard. A table will be set up next to the other tables offering the soda and water packages.

Eventually you will be able to pre-order and pre pay online, but at this time it's only available for purchase onboard.

Appartently, these packages have been a huge money maker at Celebrity.

Stay tuned for more info as it becomes available.

I'm hoping it's just like Celebrity!

I'm cruising with the whole family soon and I would buy it in a heartbeat but if we all do-it's not going to be worth it. One non-drinker and 3 beer drinkers.

Please Royal-just like Celebrity!!!:D

SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!

Wait... a 9nighter... 55/pp/day... That's almost an extra G on to the trip. Hmmm. I know I can put a few away, but to add the DW's in there would make things interesting. HOWEVER... If it includes soda, coffees, and some others that we don't have details on, it would def make for consideration. Gotta have the good java in the am!

Found my bill from our past 12n. Total 'drink' bill including tips/coffees/sodaPkg/wine: $774.52. That doesn't include a few 'comped' drinks by well tipped bartenders or what made it to our room 'illegally'. So, in my case, it will be about a wash.

A few questions...

Does the $55/pp/day INCLUDE the tips for the bartenders? I don't see why it wouldn't.

What about the bottled water in the rooms?

I'd love details on this. Hubby likes buckets of beer by the pool, and takes some back to the cabin. I wonder if that will be alllowed? I drink a foo-foo drink by the pool and wine in the room which will be covered by the carry-on wiine now. We go to the Diamond lounge berfore dinner. If we both need to get it, I think it won't be a good value to us.

Details! I need Details! :)

I just talked to RC and they said its not true.

Unfortunately the reps are frequently not kept up to speed on new programs.

I remember calling to ask a question about the nursery on Oasis and the rep I got had no idea there was a nursery on Oasis... It's my one long-standing beef with RC. It must not feel great to have customers inform you of what's going on as opposed to your leadership.

OP, do you have any further confirmation other than "a friend working on Oasis"? What is this friend's job on Oasis? It doesn't make a lot of sense (to me anyway) that this kind of thing would just start TODAY (and on the next turnaround on EVERY ship), with no announcement or anything.

Unfortunately the reps are frequently not kept up to speed on new programs.

I remember calling to ask a question about the nursery on Oasis and the rep I got had no idea there was a nursery on Oasis... It's my one long-standing beef with RC. It must not feel great to have customers inform you of what's going on as opposed to your leadership.

LOL - We found out our division was sold to another company and our division president quit in a huff from on-line newspaper articles about one of our sister companies involved in the sale. We still haven't been formally notified. :rolleyes:

Edited by temple1

I just talked to RC and they said its not true.

It wouldn't be the first time the people on the phones at RCCL don'e know what's going on, and it won't be the last.

I got this information directly from the source onboard Oasis and they ARE selling the unlimited drink packages today.

There was a big shake up at the Miami office, several people lost their jobs and/or were moved to different depts. People from Celebrity moved to RCCL so maybe that's why the changes in the alcohol policies.. i.e. now allowed to carry 2 bottles of wine etc.

Quite frankly, you can believe me or not... I really don't care.. I'm mearly posting the information, as I know a lot of posts have been made asking why RCCL doesn't offer drink packages on cruises outside of Europe.

When I was the first to post about the new menus in the MDR 2 weeks before they started rolling out and 2 months before RCCL made a formal announcement about the dining enhancements.. I was flamed on these boards. I expected no less with this post..:rolleyes:

LOL - We found out our division was sold to another company and our division president quit in a huff from on-line newspaper articles about one of our sister companies involved in the sale. We still haven't been formally notified. :rolleyes:

Sorry to get off topic but I feel your pain. I was once informed my job title had changed in an email sent to the whole company. It wasn't a demotion or anything bad, but still...

OP, do you have any further confirmation other than "a friend working on Oasis"? What is this friend's job on Oasis? It doesn't make a lot of sense (to me anyway) that this kind of thing would just start TODAY (and on the next turnaround on EVERY ship), with no announcement or anything.

My friend is one of the Bar Managers. He's currently roaming from ship to ship to launch this program and conduct the training for the bar staff.

This wouldn't be the first time they launced a new program without any prior announcement. When I was the first to post about the new MDR menus 2 weeks before they started I was flamed and my contacts were questioned.. Believe me or not.. I don't really care.. I'm mearly posting for those that have been interested in RCCL offering these packages.

BTW, RCCL just officially announced the new MDR menus, via an industry webinar last week... 3 months after they started.. so your theory of something new being started without an announcement doesn't really hold much water.

Yes, we need details.....This package could be worth it....If it included bottled water, soda and beer I could see us buying it.

I would imagine it will mirror Celebrity's program or even the packages RCCL offers on some if it's Europe based ships. Some information from the Celebrity site:

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/tabLanding.do?pagename=onboard_beverage_packages#onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic_tab/onboard/asrPanel.do%3Fpagename=onboard_beverage_packages_premium_classic&ComponentTypeId=30&categoryId=&currencyCode=USD

Loyal2RCCL - Thanks for the heads up - I hope someone from the Oasis Roll Call posts something soon. We are on Independence in January and depending on how the package is structured switch our beverage package for the all inclusive.

hmm I shall subscribe to this thread to see where it goes... wouldn't be much benefit for myself (no way I could drink that much every day for a week) but friends I have been trying to lure over from Celebrity might actually jump ship if this is true!

If it is... just another case of the Royal Right Hand not knowing what the Left Hand is doing ;)

I hope the training is serious and comprehensive. We just got off the Nov. 19 Monarch and we experienced a man overboard procedure (not a drill) thanks to a drunk passenger. It was handled wonderfully by the crew, but to be awakened at 3AM with an announcement like that in your cabin is a bit unnerving. The whole thing took three hours and many announcements in the cabin as well as a head count door to door. Come to find out it was a false alarm, thank God, perpetrated by a druInk passenger. For many folks' sake, if this is true, I hope the training is serius and seriously implemented.

The bar staff have gone through additional training on how to watch out for and deal with over intoxication and how to handle guests who have had too much to drink.

Would you please ask your bar manager friend why it would take a drink package to warrant additional training for the bar staff? In my opinion, the staff should have sufficient training to monitor for trouble regardless of the presence of a package.

Even if our bar tab is never that high... to me the comfort of knowing exactly how much it's going to cost (and ideally paying before the cruise) is of value to me. I severly limit how much I would like to have due to not wanting to accidently run up a large bill and be surprised at the end. A drink or two at the pool, a cocktail before dinner, a glass of wine with my meal... it all adds up rather quickly and isn't a lot of alcohol when spread out over the course of a day. I also usually purchase the soda package would also be replaced by this.

I wish they would offer a variety of drink packages like Celebrity. We were on the Eclipse a couple of years ago and are not really alcohol drinkers. However, they offered a package that included sodas, bottled water, and all non-alcoholic drinks for what we thought was a very reasonable price. Perfect for us :D

This would be a good deal for my dad, as he drinks like a fish, and considering beer prices were one of the reasons why he steers away from cruising, it might be a good way to lure him in!

But i fear for me, it will just be a waste. Myself and hubby would probably have about 2 drinks per day. Maybe a glass of wine and a cocktail (beer for him). I might have a few soda's, but i'm not fussed and can just have the free lemonade.

I think the BYO wine and a cocktail in the evening will be enough for me and will save me a lot of money!

I want to remember my holiday :D

Everyone should stop and think for just a minute. If this a huge money maker on Celebrity and RCCL hopes for the same on their ships, how can this be a money saver for the average drinker? It won't won't be a savings for the average passenger. RCCL will make more money by increasing the volume of alcohol sold. I'm not sure if is a benefit to most passengers to increase the amount of drinking.
It could be a win/win if you consider being able to drink more without having to pay more than a set amount a "win".