*** The Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

New shuttle buses.

Are these to move people around the car park ?

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/galveston-to-add-four-new-cruise-shuttle-buses.html

Yeah? Where are they going to take people? That's a lot of money just to shuttle people to the parking lots....

I'd rather see them invest some money into a multi story parking garage with a sky walk to the terminals myself!

Edited by SRV FAN

I'm sailing on Liberty today. Not quite as many D and above but still a lot. D and D+ will have cocktail hour in the Catacombs. Pinnacles can use CL.

We sail on Liberty this Sunday. Booked a JS near the CL ... but are you saying that D+ can no longer use the CL? Just the Catacombs :(? Oh my. TIA for any further info!

We sail on Liberty this Sunday. Booked a JS near the CL ... but are you saying that D+ can no longer use the CL? Just the Catacombs :(? Oh my. TIA for any further info!

Might as well get used to the new situation. No CL on Liberty after the January dry dock anyhow.

Just heard D+ were allowed back in this week. HH was being held in Catacombs due to the large number of D, D+ and P's on board the last two cruises. Things should be back to normal until dry dock, then no more CL!

Carla

We can't wait to come back to Galveston. We sailed on Voyager many years ago and it was one of our favorite trips. We met some very nice people while on board. That time we did a park & cruise, this time we are looking to park closer to the ship so we can be on the road quicker (yes, we are crazy people who drive to our ports from Wisconsin). Where would you recommend we consider parking?

Just heard D+ were allowed back in this week. HH was being held in Catacombs due to the large number of D, D+ and P's on board the last two cruises. Things should be back to normal until dry dock, then no more CL!

Carla

Good news! Thanks so much for the info, Carla! See you next week.

We can't wait to come back to Galveston. We sailed on Voyager many years ago and it was one of our favorite trips. We met some very nice people while on board. That time we did a park & cruise, this time we are looking to park closer to the ship so we can be on the road quicker (yes, we are crazy people who drive to our ports from Wisconsin). Where would you recommend we consider parking?

We usually use CruisePark (http://www.cruisepark.com). Cruise Park is located at 2815 Harborside Dr., directly across the street from Terminal 2. However, their shuttle does not go into the terminals; it will pick you up and drop you off near the entry gate. (This is why they charge less than the other lots, I guess.) So this is not a good option for those who have any mobility issues, as you have to walk the equivalent of several blocks with your luggage.

Other options can be found at http://www.galveston.com/cruiseparking/ but we have used only Cruisepark and hotel parking, so I can't comment on any of those.

We have used EZ Cruise many times and always have been pleased. This last cruise we used Galveston Park N Cruise. It's literally right across the street and we were able to do inside parking for a little extra. Well worth it to us. We always drive to the terminal, drop off our luggage and then go park. You do have to walk across the street or at least one of you does. They were making us cross at the Carnival pier so there is a little walk involved but not bad if you are able. We use the parking places even when we stay in hotels that offer free cruise parking. Hate waiting on those shuttles!! We want to get off the ship and hit the road!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have heard from two sources currently on board LB, and they report that the CL and DL are both back to their original status. So P and D+ are allowed in the CL and of course all D, D+ and P are allowed in the Diamond Lounge which is being used now instead of the Catacombs.I hope this continues for our b2b2b staring this Sunday, Nov. 29.

I have heard from two sources currently on board LB, and they report that the CL and DL are both back to their original status. So P and D+ are allowed in the CL and of course all D, D+ and P are allowed in the Diamond Lounge which is being used now instead of the Catacombs.I hope this continues for our b2b2b staring this Sunday, Nov. 29.

Me, too:D See you guys on Dec. 6th!

Thanks for this info! Looking forward to meeting you on board.

Regards,

Jan

We, too, drive from the north, only we have a little straighter shot from SD. We use ParkNCruise, since it is so close. No waiting for shuttles!

Tiffany

We have always used EZCruise. Like that it is has the highest elevation of any parking lot near the port. The Strand area is known to flood, therefore will not use the indoor lot nor parkncruise for that reason. Of course, if a hurricane hits with a storm surge like with Ike, the only safe place would be on the 2nd floor of a parking garage! JMO

Carla

We have always used EZCruise. Like that it is has the highest elevation of any parking lot near the port. The Strand area is known to flood, therefore will not use the indoor lot nor parkncruise for that reason. Of course, if a hurricane hits with a storm surge like with Ike, the only safe place would be on the 2nd floor of a parking garage! JMO

Carla

That's a good point Carla! Being from the north, hurricane and water surge never even crossed my mind.

Tif

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Book EZCruiseparking on line and receive a $15 discount for parking and shuttle

service ($54.12/week) use code 2015 or $20 discount to park and walk ($48.71/week) use code 20parkwalk. Also, you can rent a car cover for $10.

We use the park walk, DH drops me and luggage off at port then he parks and walks back to terminal, about a 2-3 block walk. On debarkation both of us usually walk to car, who doesn't need the exercise after a cruise!

Carla

Book EZCruiseparking on line and receive a $15 discount for parking and shuttle

service ($54.12/week) use code 2015 or $20 discount to park and walk ($48.71/week) use code 20parkwalk. Also, you can rent a car cover for $10.

We use the park walk, DH drops me and luggage off at port then he parks and walks back to terminal, about a 2-3 block walk. On debarkation both of us usually walk to car, who doesn't need the exercise after a cruise!

Carla

We love EZ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZ is our fav. We let them shuttle us. We have NEVER had to wait more than 2-3 minutes at the lot or at the terminal. The buses are always there waiting on us... Great family run business (that the port of Galveston is trying to put out of business). But they have hung in there & are making it work! Discounts online. Sign up for email & get even bigger discounts.

Hi everyone. We're booked on Liberty of the Seas sailing on 3rd Jan, but we normally sail from Fort Lauderdale so Galveston will be new for us! If anyone on here can help me with these questions that would be brilliant:

1. I saw on another thread about it being a temporary facility while they refurb the port. Does anyone know what the embarkation process has been like since Liberty arrived? I guess she will have just gone out again after arriving? We're planning to get there early just to be sure!

2. We have two nights in Galveston beforehand - any recommendations for things to do and places to go would be much appreciated. We love nice bars and restaurants, and we're into photography, so nice outdoor stuff probably more our thing that museums etc.

3. We've booked the Hotel Galvez at the moment but this is fully cancellable. We know it's a walk or taxi ride to The Strand from there and we don't mind too much, but are open to the idea of moving closer to there and the port - maybe the Tremont or Harbor House. Any advice on whether this would be a good decision?

4. Any recommendations on the best way to get to Galveston from George Bush airport? We're thinking Super Shuttle, or someone on Tripadvisor recommended Island Breezes. Any other suggestions welcome!

Think those are the main things :-) Thank you!

Hi everyone. We're booked on Liberty of the Seas sailing on 3rd Jan, but we normally sail from Fort Lauderdale so Galveston will be new for us! If anyone on here can help me with these questions that would be brilliant:

1. I saw on another thread about it being a temporary facility while they refurb the port. Does anyone know what the embarkation process has been like since Liberty arrived? I guess she will have just gone out again after arriving? We're planning to get there early just to be sure!

2. We have two nights in Galveston beforehand - any recommendations for things to do and places to go would be much appreciated. We love nice bars and restaurants, and we're into photography, so nice outdoor stuff probably more our thing that museums etc.

3. We've booked the Hotel Galvez at the moment but this is fully cancellable. We know it's a walk or taxi ride to The Strand from there and we don't mind too much, but are open to the idea of moving closer to there and the port - maybe the Tremont or Harbor House. Any advice on whether this would be a good decision?

4. Any recommendations on the best way to get to Galveston from George Bush airport? We're thinking Super Shuttle, or someone on Tripadvisor recommended Island Breezes. Any other suggestions welcome!

Think those are the main things :-) Thank you!

Welcome to Texas!! My son lived in Bister for 3 years,,so,a,little familiar with your homeland. I'll try to answer your questions a little!

1. Actually, we will be boarding the Liberty this Sunday so will have first hand knowledge of the boarding process. But, friends that boarded the last 2 weeks said there was no problem. At present they are remodeling the terminal and adding a new addition. However, to alleviate crowding there is a 1700 sq ft (heated and a/c) tent connected to the terminal building to handle overflow.

2. Things to do - can't help much here. We just love to walk around The Strand and/or up and down the Seawall. People seem to really like Moody Gardens you can check it out on line. Maybe others will give you more what to do info.

3.The Gálvez is a beautiful historical hotel that is said to be haunted?? It is located on the Seawall and the beach area. It can be cold in Jan so don't know how feasible it is to be on the beach side of the island. The Tremont is another beautiful historical hotel and right on The Strand. The Harbor House is an old warehouse turned hotel and very quaint also also. All 3 hotels are owned by the Wyndham Group. We really like the Harbor House, the rooms are much larger, it is located 1 block from The Strand and right on the ship channel (very easy to drag your luggage to the terminal) and very convenient to several restaurants. But, all 3 hotels have a shuttle to the port. The Galvez may also have a free shuttle to The Strand. You can't go wrong with any of these hotels.

4. There is a new shuttle company that is getting very good ratings - check out galvestonexpress dot com.

Have a great time in Texas and on the Liberty.

Carla

Welcome to Texas!! My son lived in Bister for 3 years,,so,a,little familiar with your homeland. I'll try to answer your questions a little!

1. Actually, we will be boarding the Liberty this Sunday so will have first hand knowledge of the boarding process. But, friends that boarded the last 2 weeks said there was no problem. At present they are remodeling the terminal and adding a new addition. However, to alleviate crowding there is a 1700 sq ft (heated and a/c) tent connected to the terminal building to handle overflow.

2. Things to do - can't help much here. We just love to walk around The Strand and/or up and down the Seawall. People seem to really like Moody Gardens you can check it out on line. Maybe others will give you more what to do info.

3.The Gálvez is a beautiful historical hotel that is said to be haunted?? It is located on the Seawall and the beach area. It can be cold in Jan so don't know how feasible it is to be on the beach side of the island. The Tremont is another beautiful historical hotel and right on The Strand. The Harbor House is an old warehouse turned hotel and very quaint also also. All 3 hotels are owned by the Wyndham Group. We really like the Harbor House, the rooms are much larger, it is located 1 block from The Strand and right on the ship channel (very easy to drag your luggage to the terminal) and very convenient to several restaurants. But, all 3 hotels have a shuttle to the port. The Galvez may also have a free shuttle to The Strand. You can't go wrong with any of these hotels.

4. There is a new shuttle company that is getting very good ratings - check out galvestonexpress dot com.

Have a great time in Texas and on the Liberty.

Carla

Thank you Carla, that's really useful. We live in Milton Keynes so about 15 minutes from Bicester! I've emailed that shuttle company along with a couple of others, so we'll see what they all come back with. It's such a tough decision between staying on the beach and near The Strand. We love the look of The Galvez (even if it is colder weather) and we don't see much beach here in the middle of the UK, plus it has a hot tub so that's a bonus :-) Do write a post about your experiences of Liberty and of getting on board! Thanks again.

Thank you Carla, that's really useful. We live in Milton Keynes so about 15 minutes from Bicester! I've emailed that shuttle company along with a couple of others, so we'll see what they all come back with. It's such a tough decision between staying on the beach and near The Strand. We love the look of The Galvez (even if it is colder weather) and we don't see much beach here in the middle of the UK, plus it has a hot tub so that's a bonus :-) Do write a post about your experiences of Liberty and of getting on board! Thanks again.

I'll let you know how our embarkation goes this Sunday. I know you don't see much of the beach in your area, so then I would stick with the Galvez. Like I said, think the Galvez has a free shuttle to and from The Strand area and the port, but check with the hotel to be sure. We also like to go to Murdochs, across the street from the Galvez. It is a gift shop on the water but has a large porch where we love to sit, have a drink and watch the waves. Also, the Pleasure Pier is within walking distance and has a Forrest Gump Restaurant.

Happy planning!!

Carla

I'll let you know how our embarkation goes this Sunday. I know you don't see much of the beach in your area, so then I would stick with the Galvez. Like I said, think the Galvez has a free shuttle to and from The Strand area and the port, but check with the hotel to be sure. We also like to go to Murdochs, across the street from the Galvez. It is a gift shop on the water but has a large porch where we love to sit, have a drink and watch the waves. Also, the Pleasure Pier is within walking distance and has a Forrest Gump Restaurant.

Happy planning!!

Carla

So many good places to eat in Galveston. Wouldn't be going to Bubba Gumps. Original Mexican Cafe, Mosquito Cafe, and I forgot the name of the great restaurant by the ocean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have stayed at the Galvez and Harbor House. Both are great. The Galvez has a great restaurant & bar . The Habor House does not, however there are numerous restaurants & bars all withing walking distance. Be sure to try gulf shrimp cocktail wherever you go! I love blackened red fish too... All fresh caught daily. Nonno Tonys has KILLER pizza!

You would not want to walk to the Strand from the Galvez... Opposite side of the island. It will be chilly in Jan & while I enjoy seeing the beach, in the winter, I prefer the port side.

There is so much to see & do in Galveston! Too much to list.... Check out Galveston dot com.... Or tripadvisor dot com....

But being without a car will hamper your travels. There are taxis, but they are not in abundence.

Can't help with the terminal in it's present state.

Can't help with transport from Houston either... We are Texans & drive.

Oh & yes, there is a room on the 5th floor at the Galvez that is haunted. Ask the desk about it if you stay there.

Have fun!

Edited by SRV FAN