*** The Galveston, Texas "Cruise Cam" Watch Group ***

Hi Galveston Webcam Friends!

We just got back on Friday from our first HAL cruise...an 11-night Southern Caribbean out of Fort Lauderdale. It was awesome! I really wish someone would do some longer cruises out of Galveston.

You must have been on the Noordam, one of our favorite ships. Its hard to top Fort Lauderdale for handling cruise ships. We sail again from Fort Lauderdale in March, this time on the Zuiederdam for 11 days.

You must have been on the Noordam, one of our favorite ships. Its hard to top Fort Lauderdale for handling cruise ships. We sail again from Fort Lauderdale in March, this time on the Zuiederdam for 11 days.

We were on the Noordam, and just loved it!:)

Either early....11a or wait until 1:30p. Both those times tend to get you in and on fairly quickly.

Thanks for the reply! The cruise docs say that the ship is boarding at 1:30. Do they actually allow people on board earlier? (Sorry if this is a dumb question, first time cruising RCL and first time cruising out of Galveston).

Thanks for the reply! The cruise docs say that the ship is boarding at 1:30. Do they actually allow people on board earlier? (Sorry if this is a dumb question, first time cruising RCL and first time cruising out of Galveston).

Yes they will allow you to board early, once the ship has been cleared, but you will have to stay in the public areas until 1pm when the staterooms become ready.

Broke the 100 day mark!

Hope you all have the holidays planned out.....gonna start Crhistmas shopping.....lucky, next Monday the stores are open..that is the 24th, not the 17th.

Trying to figure out where we are going to have 11 family members sleep starting next weekend....Think we might get a hotel and ask them to make sure they clean the house before they all go home after Christmas!

Sure whish that great cam that popped up last year showing the starboard side of Mariner was active this year!

One more week until we sail on the Mariner with the entire family, us, kids, and grandkids.

Have a great cruise. Dd and I are on Disney Magic at Spring Break booked while aboard last time. Got a great rate before they realized that week was not o be discounted but honored it for us.

We will be cruising out of Baltimore in January. It is a southern Caribbean itinerary. I admit Baltimore was not the first port I thought of when thinking where can I cruise to the southern Caribbean. :) I have heard nothing but good things about embarkation and disembarkation from there. I love, love, love driving instead of flying to my departure port. But we wanted a longer cruise than 7 days and that means somewhere other than Galveston. Fortunately Southwest has a non-stop from Hobby to Baltimore so flying out a day early will not mean layovers or changing flights.

We will probably plan to cruise again on Mariner out of Galveston in 2014. But this year we celebrating our 30th anniversary and wanted to do something a bit different. I am really looking forward to seeing islands we have never seen along with some nice sea days as well.

I think if Galveston had more year round cruising we might get an improved disembarkation experience. Instead, the limited season means investing in improvements does not pay off year round. So they leave it as is.

I second that emotion! Canaveral was awesome too. Just strolled off with our luggage and on the road to the airport in 20 minutes. Last year was horrible! I've given up hope with Galveston...it is what it is! Disaster. I can no longer even defend the port to those across the country who complain! And I cannot pinpoint where they go wrong, can you? I can only say maybe they do not let people off until we are all like cattle on the promenade! Ich!:mad:

I have to defend it...my cousin just got off Legend of the Seas in Ft. Lauderdale last weekend and it was a disaster! It took forever for them to disembark AND forever to get their luggage. So, I think that sometimes stuff just happens. I've sailed out of FLL too and didn't have much of a problem, other than not being able to find luggage quickly!

Disembarking from Mariner today was a breeze for suite guests. We met in Chops as a group and Luca led us off at 8:45, a bit of a wait as all the luggage was not delivered till then. We were off the ship, thru customs, and in our car we left at our motel in 22 minutes!! Embarkation was not bad either last week. Again, there was a bit of a wait as only three customs agents originally showed up for disembarkation that day. However, I was very pleased to see that when priority boarding was announced, staff were checking for priority passes and directing those trying to cut into the line back to the main part of the terminal.

Disembarking from Mariner today was a breeze for suite guests. We met in Chops as a group and Luca led us off at 8:45, a bit of a wait as all the luggage was not delivered till then. We were off the ship, thru customs, and in our car we left at our motel in 22 minutes!! Embarkation was not bad either last week. Again, there was a bit of a wait as only three customs agents originally showed up for disembarkation that day. However, I was very pleased to see that when priority boarding was announced, staff were checking for priority passes and directing those trying to cut into the line back to the main part of the terminal.

I have a few questions for you. We are leaving next Sunday on Mariner. How do you get your priority pass to board early? We are diamond. However, not all of our cruising group is diamond, but we are all family. Can they board with the ones who do have priority, if we are all together? And do all priority board at once, or do they do it by level: platinum, then emerald, then diamond, etc?

What time did you get to the ship and what time did you start boarding?

What hotel did you stay at and how was it? Did they have a shuttle to take you to the port?

And finally, are there any outlets near the bed? I use my cell as my alarm clock, but I will need to charge during the night and like to have it near me.

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions, and when you have a chance, can you write a review of the cruise?

We checked in about 11:20 and were given a white priority pass and directed to the priority boarding area. First boarding was called about noon for Pinnacle, then all other priority pax. You can ask about family boarding together. It may be allowed or may not. Probably depends on how large the group. Most hotels do not offer port shuttles. We stay in a very basic motel called Gaido's Seaside Inn. It is clean and cheap. The only outlets I know of are at the desk, but that is close to the bed.

I have a few questions for you. We are leaving next Sunday on Mariner. How do you get your priority pass to board early? We are diamond. However' date=' not all of our cruising group is diamond, but we are all family. Can they board with the ones who do have priority, if we are all together? And do all priority board at once, or do they do it by level: platinum, then emerald, then diamond, etc?

What time did you get to the ship and what time did you start boarding?

What hotel did you stay at and how was it? Did they have a shuttle to take you to the port?

And finally, are there any outlets near the bed? I use my cell as my alarm clock, but I will need to charge during the night and like to have it near me.

Thanks for taking time to answer my questions, and when you have a chance, can you write a review of the cruise?[/quote']

Everything is CLOSE to the bed!!! LOL :rolleyes:

Freedom, my family all boarded together, we are diamond, not them. But didn't seem to be a problem as we were divided among our 3 cabins so that it would be silly to make them board without us. At Canaveral the diamonds up are divided from the rest by several hundred feet and go in another door entirely. Best I've had really. Took literally 10 minutes to board and we were in the building at 1:00. Eating by 1:20. Again Canaveral just has it right..debarkation a snap also. Why oh why can't Galv. get it right!?

Edited by BecciBoo

Haven't seen this posted yet: Crown Princess' first arrival is this Saturday.

Hopefully I will be able to make a time lapse of her first arrival. Triumph will be the other ship in port this Saturday, and Disney Magic starts her 8 night / 6 night schedule on Friday. Carnival Triumph and Disney Magic will alternate being in port with Crown Princess every other Saturday.

Going to Houston this Sunday for Christmas, but no trip to Galveston planned.

I was just on the Mariner and Sunday went OK. The last groups were called at 10:15 a.m. (30 minutes ahead of my luggage tag #) and I was in the car at EZ Cruise Parking at 10:52 a.m.

The captain told us that improvements are being made on the ship and the internet speed will be faster starting sometime in January.

Now I'm in "recovery" mode.

Happy sailing to all!

Patti

:mad: So why do I keep going on Norwegian? Here is why. Next New Years eve..... 1600 for a Mini Suite on Norwegian and 1600 for a balcony suite on RCL. Third rider is 400 on Norwegian and 1100 on RCL. Pricing does too count. Travelocity shows 1199 for that room on the Jewel instead of 1600. What... am I booking an airline ticket?:rolleyes:

O.K. rant over... for now.

Your $$$ point of view is valid. We were once major NCL customers, but the product has so deteriorated, we will not spend another cent on them...To each his own.

Galveston has been taking a beating for the Embar/disembark process. bad word of mouth lately.

Also, the location of the new NCL port facilities leaves lots to be desired, unless you are driving in the day of your cruise....again, to each his own.

Maybe by March they will figure out embarkation and disembarkation....we will see...