Latest rumour...no double points

The only reason to change the program, in my view, would be to cope with the quickly increasing number of D+ cruisers. On a recent cruise, I heard that serious consideration was being given to creating one or more levels between D+ and Pinnacle. That seems to make some sense as it is a long way from the 175 points for D+ to the 700 needed for Pinnacle. Possibly Double Diamond at 350 points, Triple Diamond at 525 and Pinnacle at 700. That would create two new levels, each requiring an additional 175 cruise points.

PC Members receive Gold Card Perks. Balcony Discount and Value of C&A Savings Certificate are the same for D+ and PC Members as well as what is included in the Ultimate Value Coupon Book.

What benefits would you suggest C&A come up with for Double Diamond and Triple Diamond Members?

Royal lost out when they changed the program. We used to have a goal of becoming Diamond. It seemed within reach. Then they changed the point system.

We then saw how much harder it was going to be to reach the Diamond level. Instead, we saw that it was a good time to try some other lines.

Since the decision, we've spent $$$ on Disney and are getting ready to spend $$ on Carnival or NCL.

I can't imagine cruising without benefits now. Once I get to D+ I'll also sail Celebrity because they'll give me a high level of perks. I don't see myself sailing HAL or NCL without benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PC Members receive Gold Card Perks. Balcony Discount and Value of C&A Savings Certificate are the same for D+ and PC Members as well as what is included in the Ultimate Value Coupon Book.

What benefits would you suggest C&A come up with for Double Diamond and Triple Diamond Members?

There are already some additional benefits such as the extra diamond amenity and the 150% single rate for solo cruisers that kick in around the 350 and 525 point levels. So, RCCL has already established some benefit changes, based on cruise point levels, within the D+ caegory. They just have not opted to apply names to those levels. By doing so the could display recognition and appreciation to cruiser who have reached these plateaus. Plus it would establish some goals that might seem more achievable for many present D+ members and the new levels might prove handy for RCCL when the number of D+ members become unmanageable.

...What benefits would you suggest C&A come up with for Double Diamond and Triple Diamond Members?

They could add back some of the policies they removed, like price drops up to 72 hours before sailing. That would be a great PC benefit.

Maybe the ability to combine savings certificate, balcony discount, shareholder OBC at one of the lower tiers.

Hope that this is not true. I have one booked for this October, and will be none too happy if they change the point policy. They call it a suite, but it has minimal perks other than the extra size, tub, and double points; I chose it for all of those reasons, along with a manageable fare.

Teddie

What if they just changed the title/category from JS to something else and eliminate the term suite from the title? It's their company and can do whatever they like.

They could add back some of the policies they removed, like price drops up to 72 hours before sailing. That would be a great PC benefit.

Maybe the ability to combine savings certificate, balcony discount, shareholder OBC at one of the lower tiers.

I would love to see that! I have commented before that I would be perfectly happy if they would restore the OBC for price drops and eliminate the ability to cash out OBC attributed to price drops. I don't think there is a thing one can but on a ship, with maybe the exception of shore excursions that costs them more than 50% of retail. Imagine the mark-up on drinks! I think that would be a nice gesture of goodwill that would not cost them as much as before when many folks cashed it out.

I also agree with renaming the JS if double points are eliminated for that category. Behold the new Oceanview Balcony with Tub category.

Hopefully this is all just a rumour. But, remember when we all thought that adding the "Emerald" level was a rumour? I could see Diamonds in December changing or going away. But, since it's only for Diamond and higher C&A members, those cruisers already have the status required for perks such as the D-lounge. So, that doesn't make much sense.

I think the JS cabins should get double points, considering they usually cost a decent amount more than other cabins. For example, on my transatlantic coming up in April on Liberty, an inside is going for $369 for 12-nights and a JS is going for $1399. Why would someone get the same points for those cabins, when one is $1000 more per person? If someone is spending that much more, they should be rewarded for it. Yes, more space costs more, but hopefully they'll reward those who spend more with double points.

Peter

Now you're talking. Just, please don't add any more wine to the amenity list. :eek: It would be so nice if they would add something for us non-wine drinkers.......and I'm not talking a cheese plate or a fruit basked.:D

I can't imagine cruising without benefits now. Once I get to D+ I'll also sail Celebrity because they'll give me a high level of perks. I don't see myself sailing HAL or NCL without benefits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As soon as you're at the Diamond level with RCI you are automatically (well, after making the appropriate email or call) Elite with Celebrity - their highest level.

Being Elite with Celebrity is how we reached Diamond with RCI - actually I thought it too easy, having accomplished Elite after 5 cruises with Celebrity! (though I am not complaining ;))

Tom

Now you're talking. Just, please don't add any more wine to the amenity list. :eek: It would be so nice if they would add something for us non-wine drinkers.......and I'm not talking a cheese plate or a fruit basked.:D

How 'bout some more chocolate covered strawberries?

R&D

I agree. I am working on a nice collection of beach towels!!!:)

I agree about the word Suite, and I also don't care about making Pinnacle (because it's not likely in my world) BUT if I was counting points to get to D or D+ I certainly would care.

Also, want to mention....I love Junior Suites, not only for the size and closet, but because I like the sitting (living) area near the balcony door.

I love suites for their large size and the double points as a fringe benefit. We went from Gold to Diamond in 2.5 years with the cruises that we have done. I am Loyal to Royal, and will gladly accept my double points.

If I read your quote correctly, it sounds like you are like me. You like the JS for the size and closet as well as the sitting area. The room we stay in is just a bit bgger. The double points are also a nice perk for you too. You should care about them as one day as life changes they just might matter. We figure we might make Diamond+ and who knows from there.

On a side note about points and C&A gong size.

If people didn't care about the point collection there should be a discount on the cruise price. If a buyer isn't going to continue loyalty them why need the points? It would be like a no frills discount of say $100pp. There might be way less people ever started in C&A, or people who climb the point totem pole as they would rather have the discount now, than when they reach Platinum and higher. Just an idea.

While we're on the topic:

I've never understood the idea that guests ascending through the past guest program too quickly is a "problem" that the cruise lines have to somehow "deal with". :confused:

If that's a problem, I'd sure hate to know what a disaster is for them! :eek:

People moving up in the program fast means that they are spending money with that cruise line, and quickly! What business would, in their right mind, call that a problem? Getting guests back across that gangway over and over again is the entire point of a loyalty program!

That's why Diamonds in December is so brilliant. You offer something that costs you very little (double points, some cheap wine, cheap gifts and snacks) to entice your most loyal guests to cruise during one of the off-season months. It worked on us, we did our first 10-nighter last month, the double points being a BIG factor. Your business benefits, your loyal guests feel appreciated, its win/win.

The only issue that might arise is overcrowding in the areas set aside for the high level past guests. And what a great issue to have. "Oh no, we have so many people that keep giving us their money! What do we do with all of them? I know! We'll put a lounge for them on each ship and use a bigger one for overflow if neccessary!":D

Here here!

I wouldn't hold my breathe waiting for that!

Too many post to read them all. I just hope the two suites I have reserved one in 20013 and one in 20014 will be grandfathered In that is the reason I booked them.

I know I've booked some sailings way early - but yours are most impressive!! :D

Tom

The only reason to change the program, in my view, would be to cope with the quickly increasing number of D+ cruisers. On a recent cruise, I heard that serious consideration was being given to creating one or more levels between D+ and Pinnacle. That seems to make some sense as it is a long way from the 175 points for D+ to the 700 needed for Pinnacle. Possibly Double Diamond at 350 points, Triple Diamond at 525 and Pinnacle at 700. That would create two new levels, each requiring an additional 175 cruise points.

I like this idea. The bump from D+ to Double D and Triple D (sounds like bra sizes, doesn't it? :D) could have some distinguishing perk added in. I personally would like to see them give upgrades at the Double and Triple levels: book a balcony and get upgraded to a higher balcony or JS, or something similar.

We still have a school age child at home and can't cruise as often as we would like. When we do head out to sea on RCCL we want to be spoiled and choose the grand suites space and amenities. This will move us 'up the ladder quickly' , and we do pay a good price for it...Spring break on the Mariner...

Yes, a JS cabin still earns you double points there has been no change.

Holy Molly, I thought I was going to have a heart attack ? :eek:

Thanks for the clarification that brought me back from the Twilight Zone. ;)

I have a friend onboard Enchantment right now. He said the latest rumour going around the Diamond Lounge is that there will be an announcement between April and June. Supposedly, there will be no more double points awarded for staying in a suite. He said this is due to too many cruisers jumping up the ladder quickly, and getting D/D+/P status too quickly. I don't know if I believe that or not. But, since suites frequently cost way more than inside/outside/balcony staterooms, how could this be true? Has anyone else heard this rumour?

I can't see this being true. I can definitely see Diamonds in December going away. From a corporate perspective, that always seemed like a bad idea to me, no wonder you have too many D+ members who are overwhelming your lounges.

Archived