Latest rumour...no double points

I have a friend onboard Enchantment right now. He said the latest rumour going around the Diamond Lounge is that there will be an announcement between April and June. Supposedly, there will be no more double points awarded for staying in a suite. He said this is due to too many cruisers jumping up the ladder quickly, and getting D/D+/P status too quickly. I don't know if I believe that or not. But, since suites frequently cost way more than inside/outside/balcony staterooms, how could this be true? Has anyone else heard this rumour?

perhaps your friend overheard speculation that RCI will no longer have the Diamonds in December event? I doubt RCI would take away the doubling of points if in a suite as a ship has a limited number of them so not that many people are jumping levels. And if many people were, RCI is making a killing off the extra it costs to stay in a suite... it will be interesting to see what others can ferret out...

Doesn't make much sense. One of the reasons many book suites, aside from the extra space, is the double C&A points. The money they make has got to be so much more than the paltry baubles they give out to past guests.

I agree with wolfcathorse, the more likely scenario is no more double points for Diamonds in December. That will suck too. We always cruise in December (even before D.I.D) for my wife's birthday.

Truth be told,I would rather they remove the double points, then raise the bar so to speak. ie double up everyone's points needed.. ie 60 for Platinum 110 for Emerald. etc. etc.

As far as Jr suits go, other then the space you book them for the points. They offer nothing else. I think they are sadly in need of a update.

T

I'm surprised that people really pay so much extra JUST to get double C&A points. I can't see how it is worth it. You could buy a lot of champaigne and other enjoyable things with the savings if that is the ONLY reason you spring for a Suite. If you like and can afford a Suite, then the extra points is a bonus, but do you really book a suite JUST for the points?:eek:

After reading Flacruiser99 thread “Is the end near for D+ CL Access”

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1683015

and Kokomo`s thread “Pinnacle points being lowered or another level”

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1677061

I did some searching on CC and I have picked up the following information off many Cruise Critic posts and it may not be 100% accurate and point 7 is only my speculation.

1. Concierge for suite guests

2. Crown & Anchor Diamond members allowed into the concierge 2002?

3. Diamond Plus started approx. 2004

Approximately 5 years later

4. Diamond members culled out of the concierge 2009

5. Pinnacle started Jan 2011

6. In January 2016 Jewel will be the last ship to have a DIAMOND CLUB.

7. Will Diamond Plus members be culled out of the Concierge and moved to the Diamond Club and the Concierge left just for the suite guest as originally planned and Pinnacle?

Personally I think we have a few years left in the CL and it is the best loyalty program of all the cruise lines.

I hope they keep up the double points for suites - coming to this party late, and could use all the extra points I can get... LOL

Thanks to being elite with Celebrity, we already start at Diamond with Royal - but will still have to earn the full amount of points to get to D+ (not starting at the point value for Diamond - but rather at the 15 points they gave us for our Sovereign sailing when they made their point conversion).

Tom

Maybe no more double points for staying in a Junior Suite. That would be a possibility.

Hope that this is not true. I have one booked for this October, and will be none too happy if they change the point policy. They call it a suite, but it has minimal perks other than the extra size, tub, and double points; I chose it for all of those reasons, along with a manageable fare.

Teddie

After reading Flacruiser99 thread “Is the end near for D+ CL Access”

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1683015

and Kokomo`s thread “Pinnacle points being lowered or another level”

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1677061

I did some searching on CC and I have picked up the following information off many Cruise Critic posts and it may not be 100% accurate and point 7 is only my speculation.

1. Concierge for suite guests

2. Crown & Anchor Diamond members allowed into the concierge 2002?

3. Diamond Plus started approx. 2004

4. Diamond members culled out of the concierge 2009

5. Pinnacle started Jan 2011

6. In January 2016 Jewel will be the last ship to have a DIAMOND CLUB.

7. Will Diamond Plus members be culled out of the Concierge and moved to the Diamond Club and the Concierge left just for the suite guest as originally planned and Pinnacle?

Personally I think we have a few years left in the CL and it is the best loyalty program of all the cruise lines.

There's not a lot difference, really, between a DL and a CL. Same food/drink (other than Oasis class) and both have a concierge. I wouldn't be surprised when all ships have DL that they restrict access to D+.

I, for one, am not worried that Royal Caribbean is going to change their program in any way over the next couple of years.

They have a winning program now, better than any other crusieline, and as another poster mentioned, they are ramping up to have a diamond lounge in every ship across the fleet.

So, the guess that Diamond and eventually Diamond + will have use of the Diamond Lounge, a larger lounge than the CL, and full suites and Pinnacle Club members will have the use of the CL.

On some ships, on certain sailings, they have already started "trial balloons" of doing exactly that. Makes one wonder.

But as far as the Diamonds in December goes, if they did away with the program, I would be able to get the type of suite that I want, as some only cruise for the points!:)

But, alas, IMHO, everything is going to stay status quo, I believe, at least for this year, and probably next as well.

Then we may see some shifting and changes being made.;)

Rick

I'm surprised that people really pay so much extra JUST to get double C&A points. I can't see how it is worth it. You could buy a lot of champaigne and other enjoyable things with the savings if that is the ONLY reason you spring for a Suite. If you like and can afford a Suite, then the extra points is a bonus, but do you really book a suite JUST for the points?:eek:

well we are suite only peeps and no that is NOT the only reason . we do enjoy( and use) all the extra perks that come along.. especially the Full room service options and the Concierge Lounge( not only the noshies and cocktail hour, but the services of the Concierge)

and quite frankly.. the extra space is entirely worth it to us. now we had discussed the idea of dropping down to a JS every third or so trip just to save on money, but if they do take away Double points, that would seriously dissuade us from doing so.. as that would be the only reason we'd book a JS.

If Royal starts messing with double points, it will impact some people this way. We are Diamond Plus. At our current rate of travel on Royal--if we can maintain it physically, we will be about 85 before we reach Pinnacle. Without double points for JS and December travel, we'll be in our early 90s.

However, I doubt we will maintain our present rate of cruising that long, so where is the incentive to choose only Royal when, say, an enticing cruise on Celebrity beckons? We're may never reach Pinnacle and we do really enjoy Celebrity's Solstice Class ships.

I do enjoy JS cabins because of the roomy walk-in closet which is almost an extra room. But the cost is a factor in choosing a JS and if there are no double points, why do that?

The only thing I can guess is that Royal is having no problem booking junior suites and does not feel it needs to offer a double-point incentive to get the JSs booked.

While we're on the topic:

I've never understood the idea that guests ascending through the past guest program too quickly is a "problem" that the cruise lines have to somehow "deal with". :confused:

If that's a problem, I'd sure hate to know what a disaster is for them! :eek:

People moving up in the program fast means that they are spending money with that cruise line, and quickly! What business would, in their right mind, call that a problem? Getting guests back across that gangway over and over again is the entire point of a loyalty program!

That's why Diamonds in December is so brilliant. You offer something that costs you very little (double points, some cheap wine, cheap gifts and snacks) to entice your most loyal guests to cruise during one of the off-season months. It worked on us, we did our first 10-nighter last month, the double points being a BIG factor. Your business benefits, your loyal guests feel appreciated, its win/win.

The only issue that might arise is overcrowding in the areas set aside for the high level past guests. And what a great issue to have. "Oh no, we have so many people that keep giving us their money! What do we do with all of them? I know! We'll put a lounge for them on each ship and use a bigger one for overflow if neccessary!":D

While we're on the topic:

I've never understood the idea that guests ascending through the past guest program too quickly is a "problem" that the cruise lines have to somehow "deal with". :confused:

If that's a problem, I'd sure hate to know what a disaster is for them! :eek:

People moving up in the program fast means that they are spending money with that cruise line, and quickly! What business would, in their right mind, call that a problem? Getting guests back across that gangway over and over again is the entire point of a loyalty program!

That's why Diamonds in December is so brilliant. You offer something that costs you very little (double points, some cheap wine, cheap gifts and snacks) to entice your most loyal guests to cruise during one of the off-season months. It worked on us, we did our first 10-nighter last month, the double points being a BIG factor. Your business benefits, your loyal guests feel appreciated, its win/win.

The only issue that might arise is overcrowding in the areas set aside for the high level past guests. And what a great issue to have. "Oh no, we have so many people that keep giving us their money! What do we do with all of them? I know! We'll put a lounge for them on each ship and use a bigger one for overflow if neccessary!":D

I really wish there was a "Like" button on the forum for posts like this! well stated.

Eric

Probably the Diamonds in December that will be ended. There's no benefit to the cruise line to give double points for cheap inside cabins.

Even with double points some of the short cruises were still only around $100-150 P/P.

If they took away those double points what would they do, pay people to go on the cruise?

A TV commercial told me everything you read on the Internet has to be true. :) Who knows if it is true?

It wasn't that long ago there were fierce debates over the rumor that the one cruise, one point system would be replaced soon. Everyone felt too many people were gaming the system by taking 3-4 day cruises and getting to Diamond too quickly. This whole JS debate seems to be a similar theme.

Pricing is the key. Depending on the cruise, JS can be cheaper than Balconies on other cruises. We got triple points on Allure for Diamonds in December because we were able to snag a JS guarantee for only $1,300/person. Only $200 more (total) than the Balcony we originally booked.

Is RCCL planting rumors to get feedback on possible changes?

Archived