Latest rumour...no double points

If they do eliminate double points for JS cabins, they better rename them and lower the price.

Agreed! What is now a JS was a Category C balcony cabin when we booked our first in 2002. And there is confusion about what perks a JS gets that can lead to some real unpleasantness onboard. We witnessed a couple berating the LA on Jewel because the RCI vacation planner had told them that they were entitled to perks that a regular cabin doesn't get. Well, yes, but the rep didn't mention that they don't get all of the suite perks. So when they went up to the Hollywood Odyssey for cocktails they were booted out by the bartender (there were no gatekeepers). The LA said that happens quite a lot. Not everybody is Internet savvy enough to find out in advance that there are differences between a JS and a full suite, and if the RCI reps aren't telling them, they should just do away with the category and go back to Cat C on order to avoid the unpleasantness.

A TV commercial told me everything you read on the Internet has to be true. :) Who knows if it is true?

It wasn't that long ago there were fierce debates over the rumor that the one cruise, one point system would be replaced soon. Everyone felt too many people were gaming the system by taking 3-4 day cruises and getting to Diamond too quickly. This whole JS debate seems to be a similar theme.

Pricing is the key. Depending on the cruise, JS can be cheaper than Balconies on other cruises. We got triple points on Allure for Diamonds in December because we were able to snag a JS guarantee for only $1,300/person. Only $200 more (total) than the Balcony we originally booked.

Is RCCL planting rumors to get feedback on possible changes?

LOL, I just saw that commercial! I really don't think that people book a JS just for the double points. We enjoy the extra room and would book it if the price is right regardless of how many points we get (easy for me to say, I know).

I sometimes think RCI plants rumors to boost bookings. I'm sure there were a lot of points runs when the revamp of C&A rumors started swirling about.

If they do eliminate double points for JS cabins, they better rename them and lower the price.

Sounds like a topic for a new thread, renaming the junior suite. That'll get those crazy CC brains turning.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed! What is now a JS was a Category C balcony cabin when we booked our first in 2002. And there is confusion about what perks a JS gets that can lead to some real unpleasantness onboard.

Sounds like a topic for a new thread, renaming the junior suite. That'll get those crazy CC brains turning.

If memory serves me right, at least one ship in the RCI fleet already calls the JS something else...something more befitting if I remember correctly. Vision Class maybe? I'm sure someone here will know that piece of trivia.

If memory serves me right, at least one ship in the RCI fleet already calls the JS something else...something more befitting if I remember correctly. Vision Class maybe? I'm sure someone here will know that piece of trivia.

You are on the right track Paul. When we sailed the Vision in 2002 in Alaska we had a "C" cabin on deck eight, those are now all JS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, but then folks would just try to smuggle extra points on board for their Junior Suite (a/k/a Premium Balcony Cabin).

Hmmmm, I should try to patent the idea for "Point Runners" Now you can sneak in extra points to get to higher C&A levels without paying for a suite. Order now and get a free added bonus, which includes fake gold cards to keep up the appearance while on board. These will work with other cruise lines' loyalty programs too. :rolleyes: :p

Eric

Would I be wrong to suggest that with three new ships pending, RCI isn't gonna' screw with the loyalty program right now? If they add to the fleet instead of replace, won't that help spread out the Loyal to Royals.

Pricing is the key. Depending on the cruise, JS can be cheaper than Balconies on other cruises. We got triple points on Allure for Diamonds in December because we were able to snag a JS guarantee for only $1,300/person. Only $200 more (total) than the Balcony we originally booked.

Is RCCL planting rumors to get feedback on possible changes?

And that was most probably due to the fact that the JS cabins were over priced to begin with so they made them a guarantee to get them filled by modestly increasing the guarantee price over the balcony price. Good Marketing.:D

And that was most probably due to the fact that the JS cabins were over priced to begin with so they made them a guarantee to get them filled by modestly increasing the guarantee price over the balcony price. Good Marketing.:D

So true! Only our second JS, and we only booked one because the price and our want for a treat intersected at the right time. :D Triple points were a very tiny part of our decision...

There have generally been two schools of thought. What you do on Royal (take a cruise or not), or how you cruise on Royal (how much money you spend in total for all phases of your cruise). Is the difference between a balcony and JS worth 2 points? Is the difference between an inside and JS worth 2 points? That logic would mean GS, or OS should be worth 3 points. There has been fierce opposition to treating cruisers differently in any way, but the very reasons for loyalty levels means someone will be treated differently. Oh well.

Isn't that the truth? They only started easily filling the JS, as I can see, when they stopped giving the bonus points to those who were upgraded to JS from D cabin bookings. Now high level cruisers, who are in serious competition, have to book their double point rooms to keep up. :D

It could be amusing though if it happened. Just think how high the prices of the full suites would go when high level PC have to book them to stay in the game. :eek: And we could grab some real deals on a JS.

No...I don't think it will happen. The whole pricing structure would have to seriously change.

Gina

Even with double points some of the short cruises were still only around $100-150 P/P.

If they took away those double points what would they do, pay people to go on the cruise?

That's my point exactly. People will still cruise with prices that low. They're that low in September and October as well and they're not double point months.

I thought the reason they started "Diamonds in December" was that people weren't cruising as much and the early month sailings weren't selling as well. I will guess that if they eliminate Diamonds in December, many people will go back to other "shoulder season" sailings.

DH and I can sail any time. We like going then there aren't as many little kids and when we can get a good deal. I really don't care when we go!!

Grandeur: Superior Oceanview Suite

I don't see how THAT clears up any confusion!

RCCL created the problem themselves way back when:

when they automatically extended points to all family members regardless

of whether or not they individually earned the points themselves;

gave the same number of points for 3 and 4 day sailings as for longer

ones which allowed many more people to qualify for the higher levels

than they would have be entitled to

Now, they want to correct it?

Should prove to be very interesting.:D

MARAPRINCE

Even with double points some of the short cruises were still only around $100-150 P/P.

If they took away those double points what would they do, pay people to go on the cruise?

Sorry this is OT, but I like your new avatar Mr. E. :)

OK, now back to the rumor discussion.

Probably the Diamonds in December that will be ended. There's no benefit to the cruise line to give double points for cheap inside cabins.

Benefit- To fill cabins in December when things are slow. Their higher tier loyalty members were the best target, less likely to have young children, be able to travel in December, or be motivated to celebrate the holidays with the whole family on board.

While we're on the topic:

I've never understood the idea that guests ascending through the past guest program too quickly is a "problem" that the cruise lines have to somehow "deal with". :confused:

If that's a problem, I'd sure hate to know what a disaster is for them! :eek:

People moving up in the program fast means that they are spending money with that cruise line, and quickly! What business would, in their right mind, call that a problem? Getting guests back across that gangway over and over again is the entire point of a loyalty program!

That's why Diamonds in December is so brilliant. You offer something that costs you very little (double points, some cheap wine, cheap gifts and snacks) to entice your most loyal guests to cruise during one of the off-season months. It worked on us, we did our first 10-nighter last month, the double points being a BIG factor. Your business benefits, your loyal guests feel appreciated, its win/win.

The only issue that might arise is overcrowding in the areas set aside for the high level past guests. And what a great issue to have. "Oh no, we have so many people that keep giving us their money! What do we do with all of them? I know! We'll put a lounge for them on each ship and use a bigger one for overflow if neccessary!":D

Exactly- how many times do we speculate on this board while standing in our own flip flops? Walk a mile in the wing tips the RCL executives are wearing when you think about motivations. Members may be annoyed that lounges are bursting at the seams- they think its great! They may be getting feed back that some high roller suite guests don't like sharing the CL with loyalty members, and they may respond to that with more separation in order to put more value into their suite level pricing. But we all need to look at it from their POV if you want to speculate what changes might be made, not our point of view!

There's not a lot difference, really, between a DL and a CL. Same food/drink (other than Oasis class) and both have a concierge. I wouldn't be surprised when all ships have DL that they restrict access to D+.

Not all Diamond Lounges offer free food. We just did a B2B and had access to the Diamond Lounge for the first time. There were no free foods not wine and discounted mixed drinks.

In fact many of the people we met in the DL were complainting that there were no free appertizers available on The Navigator. I was just happy to have a place to relax and get my one free glass of wine every night. Yes, one glass because that is all I wanted. Then after dinner I was more than happy to go to The Schooner Bar and pay for my Lemon Drop Martini.

Not all Diamond Lounges offer free food. We just did a B2B and had access to the Diamond Lounge for the first time. There were no free foods not wine and discounted mixed drinks.

In fact many of the people we met in the DL were complainting that there were no free appertizers available on The Navigator. I was just happy to have a place to relax and get my one free glass of wine every night. Yes, one glass because that is all I wanted. Then after dinner I was more than happy to go to The Schooner Bar and pay for my Lemon Drop Martini.

The Navigator does not have a Diamond Lounge. You attended the Diamond Event. Two different things.

The only reason to change the program, in my view, would be to cope with the quickly increasing number of D+ cruisers. On a recent cruise, I heard that serious consideration was being given to creating one or more levels between D+ and Pinnacle. That seems to make some sense as it is a long way from the 175 points for D+ to the 700 needed for Pinnacle. Possibly Double Diamond at 350 points, Triple Diamond at 525 and Pinnacle at 700. That would create two new levels, each requiring an additional 175 cruise points.

They should change the name of the JS cabins and remove the word suite and do away with the double points for those cabins. Would clear up any confusion as to perks. The points do not sway me one way or the other. I could care less about making Pinnacle.

I agree about the word Suite, and I also don't care about making Pinnacle (because it's not likely in my world) BUT if I was counting points to get to D or D+ I certainly would care.

Also, want to mention....I love Junior Suites, not only for the size and closet, but because I like the sitting (living) area near the balcony door.

Navigator is scheduled to get a Diamond Lounge sometime in either 2014 or 2015 when she goes in for her enhancements.

Currently there is only a Diamond Event, which is what you experienced and where you were given complimentary champagne, wine and soft drinks with all other beverages available for purchase at 25% off their normal price. There usually are no hot and cold appetizers at the Diamond Event.

As others have mentioned, a Diamond Event is not the same as a Diamond Lounge (or Club as they seem to want to call them now), anyway since you mentioned it, I thought I would mention that you're not likely to get a Lemon Drop Martini in a CL/DL, but you might have gotten it at 25% off if you had stayed at the Diamond Event.

If RCL begins fiddling with the loyalty program and perks again--it will drive away people like me. We currently have 50 points and are booked in a JS this spring. There was not a huge difference in the cost of the JS vs the balcony. In addition to size, the double points were a factor in booking the JS. We are working our way to Diamond. We feel that spending $300 now and getting there in fewer cruises actually is a good value. "D" benefits are very generous and would save us money for many cruises to come.

PS--We lost a night at sea (one point)when they changed to the current system. It was a small thing--but, it still made no sense. Give everyone a point for each night they had at sea. [ short cruises --or long cruises--that would be fair] But, because we took long cruises we lost out.

If they do it again we might decided to spend our money elsewhere.

Archived