Choice Air

crusinpeg

Very interesting comments in this thread. I have used Choice Air and currently have a north American flight and an overseas flight reserved with them. On all the reservations, i did read carefully the fare rules. And after careful consideration, I felt it was worth it to accept those rules when on this current booking I am saving approximately 2000 dollars for my wife and I. I have also travelled by booking directly with airlines and have found that their special fares carry a lot more restrictions than their full fares. So I guess it all depends of your tollerance for risk. My whole career was in a very risky environment, and I have learned that the only guarantees are taxes and death. So aside from that, I personally am willing to take on a little extra risk if it saves me a little money. And if it backfires on me , so what, I will just spend the extra 2000 and make it right. Me thinks there are a lot of Fearmongers contributing to this discussion.....

Me thinks there are a lot of Fearmongers contributing to this discussion.....

Don't leave out the wide-eyed dreamers.

I'm a pragmatist. I'm a capitalist. I have no objections to anyone doing anything they wish with their money. My only goal is to do whatever I can so that those are informed decisions. Know the upside, know the downside. Know the risks, know the rewards. Process it with your own risk-tolerance factor and....voila....the answer that's right for the individual.

I tried IcelandAir, and they will get me from BOS to BCN for $724. Unfortunately, they will only do this on Friday, so I have to stay in BCN 2 extra days, so that will add a bit. I also have to get from STL to BOS will will add a bit more.

There are very heavy loads on a lot of the one way flights into Europe during your time frame (October 15-Nov 5). LOTS of TA cruises plus a couple of BIG conventions during that time period.

I could not find a flight on Aer Lingus to BCN, so maybe that would work, but I may have to transfer to another airline to get to BCN.

AER LINGUS EI124

non-stop Chicago/OHare

19:15 Sun 27 Oct 2013 Dublin

08:00 Mon 28 Oct 2013

$640.05pp IF booked today

THEN add the flight on Aer Lingus SEPARATELY-about $100 US-two flights per day-6:40AM and 6PM

The booking engine will NOT allow booking the total trip FROM the USA to Dublin to Europe more than 4-5 months pre flight. And the intra European flights are not generally available until about 9 months pre flight. You can book the intra European flight through October 15 today but will have to wait a couple weeks to be able to book October 28. After both pieces are booked, you call Aer Lingus USA and have them put the two pieces together so luggage allowance and stopover allowance is included in your ticket.

You just have to figure out how to get to Chicago. If it was me, I would drive.

Tried LOT and got $2700 from ORD.

Combination of LOT and AA from STL to ORD to WAW to BCN for $811 if you are willing to leave on Oct. 25 and spend a couple of days either in Poland or BCN. You MAY have to have a GOOD travel agent book this for you. I can do it in SABRE but working the AA website doesn't give me the same fare codes.

I'd really like to consider reasonable alternatives (that's not a middle eastern airline) to Choice Air. I need to go from STL to BCN, leaving Oct 27.

By leaving on Sunday, Oct 27, you are increasing your flight price. Sundays are generally more expensive due to business travel (generally to almost anyplace) and also because Sundays are the start of vacation for many people.

I am curious about your hesitation to use a Middle Eastern airline. IMHO, some of THE BEST airlines in the world-Emirates, Etihad and Qatar. They are mostly owned by their governments which have a LOT of money. They are working to outdo each other in amenities and newer, bigger, fancier aircraft every way they can. Etihad business class tickets include limo pickup to and from the airport. Don't even have to fly first class to get that amenity. And they REALLY bend over backwards to make sure their customers are accommodated and problems are resolved. Just curious.

There are very heavy loads on a lot of the one way flights into Europe during your time frame (October 15-Nov 5). LOTS of TA cruises plus a couple of BIG conventions during that time period.

AER LINGUS EI124

non-stop Chicago/OHare

19:15 Sun 27 Oct 2013 Dublin

08:00 Mon 28 Oct 2013

$640.05pp IF booked today

THEN add the flight on Aer Lingus SEPARATELY-about $100 US-two flights per day-6:40AM and 6PM

The booking engine will NOT allow booking the total trip FROM the USA to Dublin to Europe more than 4-5 months pre flight. And the intra European flights are not generally available until about 9 months pre flight. You can book the intra European flight through October 15 today but will have to wait a couple weeks to be able to book October 28. After both pieces are booked, you call Aer Lingus USA and have them put the two pieces together so luggage allowance and stopover allowance is included in your ticket.

You just have to figure out how to get to Chicago. If it was me, I would drive.

Combination of LOT and AA from STL to ORD to WAW to BCN for $811 if you are willing to leave on Oct. 25 and spend a couple of days either in Poland or BCN. You MAY have to have a GOOD travel agent book this for you. I can do it in SABRE but working the AA website doesn't give me the same fare codes.

By leaving on Sunday, Oct 27, you are increasing your flight price. Sundays are generally more expensive due to business travel (generally to almost anyplace) and also because Sundays are the start of vacation for many people.

I am curious about your hesitation to use a Middle Eastern airline. IMHO, some of THE BEST airlines in the world-Emirates, Etihad and Qatar. They are mostly owned by their governments which have a LOT of money. They are working to outdo each other in amenities and newer, bigger, fancier aircraft every way they can. Etihad business class tickets include limo pickup to and from the airport. Don't even have to fly first class to get that amenity. And they REALLY bend over backwards to make sure their customers are accommodated and problems are resolved. Just curious.

Thank-you very much for this. I realize it must have taken a good amount of time to put this together. The Aer Lingus option appeals to me as I've never been to Dublin and might just spend a few days there before the cruise. The middle eastern thing is just a personal preference.

IMHO, some of THE BEST airlines in the world-Emirates, Etihad and Qatar. They are mostly owned by their governments which have a LOT of money. They are working to outdo each other in amenities and newer, bigger, fancier aircraft every way they can. Etihad business class tickets include limo pickup to and from the airport. Don't even have to fly first class to get that amenity. And they REALLY bend over backwards to make sure their customers are accommodated and problems are resolved.

We'll be sailing to Australia/NZ with X in Feb 2014, disembarking in Perth. While still too early to nail down airfare, I did notice on ChoiceAir a few days ago they were selling Emirates for just over $700 one way (total) PER-DXB-SFO in conjuction with a Nov 2013 Aussie sailing. Really caught my eye seeing that kind of price on such a highly-rated airline. And overall flying time wasn't all that much longer than going via Pacific routes.

Would love to save $2000 per couple! I have to pay for a family of five! Are these figures for business class or economy?

We will probably travel coach since much of the flight is overnight ORD-SCL. At this time I am seeing fares on Kayak ranging from $1475 -2600. A quick check on Choice Air shows the cheapest flights are $2046! Maybe I'm looking too far out (11 months).

We'll be sailing to Australia/NZ with X in Feb 2014, disembarking in Perth. While still too early to nail down airfare, I did notice on ChoiceAir a few days ago they were selling Emirates for just over $700 one way (total) PER-DXB-SFO in conjuction with a Nov 2013 Aussie sailing. Really caught my eye seeing that kind of price on such a highly-rated airline. And overall flying time wasn't all that much longer than going via Pacific routes.

It's highly rated sure, but coach in those 777s are pretty tight. 10x across instead of 9x across. I assume at least one leg is on a 777, if not both. Just be prepared if you're a wider person in torso or shoulder.

It's highly rated sure, but coach in those 777s are pretty tight. 10x across instead of 9x across. I assume at least one leg is on a 777, if not both. Just be prepared if you're a wider person in torso or shoulder.

Yeah, both flights are in 777s, and I'm super pickey when it comes to seating configurations in steerage. I doubt I'd do it, even if ChoiceAir offers similar rates in 2014. But it really caught my eye, given the next price up from $700 was $1600 for Pacific routes!

Don't leave out the wide-eyed dreamers.

I'm a pragmatist. I'm a capitalist. I have no objections to anyone doing anything they wish with their money. My only goal is to do whatever I can so that those are informed decisions. Know the upside, know the downside. Know the risks, know the rewards. Process it with your own risk-tolerance factor and....voila....the answer that's right for the individual.

Good answer Flyer

I don't believe anyone on here is a fearmonger. Whatever choice one makes is fine. As Long As the decision they make is an informed decision. Cheapest without knowing the risks or restrictions is not an informed decision.

Good answer Flyer

I don't believe anyone on here is a fearmonger. Whatever choice one makes is fine. As Long As the decision they make is an informed decision. Cheapest without knowing the risks or restrictions is not an informed decision.

Exactly. How many times has a poster who bought Choice Air said, "my tickets aren't restricted; I was able to go on the airline website and pick my seats and everything!"

You need to be careful with the "Flex Fares" through Choice Air. Everyone thinks they are great because you do not have to pay until the final payment date, BUT your flights on the airline of choice are NOT guaranteed. I have seen plenty of postings from those who found themselves on another airline and itinerary.

If using Choice Air, pick your flight and routing and pay in full. We have used them for a one way transatlantic recently on SWISS with no problems and flight was $496.00 from the US on our preferred flight. We then booked our return flight from Ft Lauderdale directly through our airline of choice, not through Choice Air.

SWISS will talk to you directly even if booked through Choice Air, you can pick or change your seats, and they will email you confirmations. I do not know if other airlines will do the same if not booked directly with them.

We have also flown Aer Lingus one way from Amsterdam, booked directly and loved the flight.

We've had much the same experience with Choice Air as Patti described above. In addition, Choice Air gives you a unique payment method called Flex, where you pick your flights, freeze your prices, but don't have to pay until cruise final payment date. You only need to pay the Choice Air non-refundable service charge of $25pp ($15pp domestic).

But flight including airline is not guaranteed until you pay. The fare will be guaranteed but not the airline. We have seen unhappy people on our cruises when their direct flight was no longer direct.

But flight including airline is not guaranteed until you pay. The fare will be guaranteed but not the airline. We have seen unhappy people on our cruises when their direct flight was no longer direct.

It was probably still direct. It was probably not still nonstop.

We had a choice of a 1 hr 5 min layover in LHR or a 2hr 55 min layover. I chose the longer layover as I was worried that the shorter one could cause me some grief. Do you have to go through customs in LHR or are we considered in transit.

The operative phrase there is "Flight Connections" nowadays !

http://www.heathrowairport.com/heathrow-airport-guide/flight-connections

I looked recently, they said allow 90minutes for transfer from AA to BA. On the link below there's a spot on the left side of the page where you can plug in your flight numbers to see the transfer info. http://www.heathrowairport.com/

• 4 weeks later...
Does anyone have experence getting Delta Skymiles on ChoiceAir flights? I am still unsure if the flights are considered published or unpublished for mileage accrual.

We got Delta mileage credit for our Choice Air flight to BCN back in 2011.

Does anyone have experence getting Delta Skymiles on ChoiceAir flights? I am still unsure if the flights are considered published or unpublished for mileage accrual.

Some are published, some are unpublished. Thus some flights will get you mileage and some won't.

Some are published, some are unpublished. Thus some flights will get you mileage and some won't.

That's the problem. I am trying to determine if there is a way to know beforehand what I am purchasing. So far the price difference between Delta and Choiceair has been minimal so I book directely with Delta to get the miles. But I have a international one-way coming up and the price difference is wider. But I need the miles to maintain my status with Delta so I need to determine what is more important.

For a definitive answer go to Sky Miles benefits.

If you are booked under an "E" code the answer is no sky miles. However, frequent Delta flyers know that the system is full of glitches. There are also additional fare codes with reduced MQM's and benefits.

• 2 weeks later...

my experience with choice air is horrible. I made the mistake of booking choice air for my upcoming cruise and I am very sorry I did. They booked me a United Flight operated by Copa Air at a cost of $160.00 more than the flight is with Copa Air. The price match offer that they are offering right now is something they do not stand behind. So of course they would not price match the flight. Actually they told me "the bottom line is they will not price match my flight." Now I find out from United that Choice Air booked it wrong and they should have booked directly with Copa Air. So I called Choice Air talked to a supervisor named Jeffrey and he said he would not change my booking to Copa Air unless I paid a penalty. Even though it was Choice Air mistake they still want me to pay more. When Choice Air first booked my flight through United Choice Air did not provide me with the proper booking number nor did they provide me with a seat number (even though on RCCL site it says that choice air provides you with a seat number). In order to get my proper information I had to call United they gave me my Copa Air booking number then I had to call Copa to book my seats. After all this frustration of me calling to get my right booking number and booking my own seat, I called choice air and told them according to the RCCL website they were supposed to do all this for me. Choice Air in turns asks me to read it from the website where it says thats what they are supposed to do. If you book with Choice air plan on paying much more than the 15 to 25 dollar fee they automatically charge. Plan on paying an inflated airfare amount and plan on doing all the work yourself to get yourself a seat assignment. Plan on dealing with very rude people that offer no customer service but yet will be very combative with you when you tell them what RCCL says what they are supposed to do for you. Just plan on headaches and aggravation when booking through choice air.

__________________:mad:

Archived