What do you do to make picking up luggage easier?

fuelerdude

My DW and I are going on our first cruise together and she doesn't necessarily appreciate my way of making it so luggage is easily discerned from other luggage. When I travel via airlines, or on my last cruise, I place a single band of duct tape, high visibility in color, around anything other than carry on luggage. I've found it much easier than looking through the sea of black luggage most have, and it can be spotted from a mile away ;). Plus you just never know when a little duct tape will come in handy as well.

In order to help ensure my DW doesn't feel embarassed due to the ungainly nature of the duct tape band, what do others do to help identify their luggage very easily?

When I travel via airlines, or on my last cruise, I place a single band of duct tape, high visibility in color, around anything other than carry on luggage.

I do the same thing with bright fluorescent yellow duct tape .... I put a large X on each side and on the handle.

Look for some large (approx. 3") brightly colored luggage tags, such as a parrot, fish, pair of flip-flops, anything cruise or travel related. Attach them to the luggage handles with split key rings or zip ties. The flimsy chains that are usually supplied with luggage tags break too easily, especially when going through the conveyor belt systems at airports. We've done this for several years and never had a problem locating our bags. I've also seen bags with large colorful pom-poms attached to the luggage handles.

I have black luggage so I put a bright colored strap around it. Plus it helps just incase of a zipper malfunction.

I also have very bright colored tags on the handles.

I have rainbow, green striped, and red/white houndstooth straps and big neon pink luggage tags. I bought them at walmart (or target maybe) for about 5 bucks.

I have an orange handle cover that velcro's around the handle. This is an example.

http://www.homeclick.com/travelon-1234044-set-of-2-handle-wraps-in-neon-green/p-540048.aspx?chnl=productads&ven=google&kw=1234044&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=5400481234044&gclid=CMSCksWdnbUCFQKoPAoddTkAXw

The ones I have were actually giveaways at a trade show a few years ago. Several of the vendors were giving them away....which means they have their name on it, but oh well....they were free!

I do the same thing with bright fluorescent yellow duct tape .... I put a large X on each side and on the handle.

I'm with you, only I use hot pink duct tape in the shape of a smiley! and I travel enough to know there are many things more embarassing than that!! Ha ha :eek:

My DW and I are going on our first cruise together and she doesn't necessarily appreciate my way of making it so luggage is easily discerned from other luggage. When I travel via airlines, or on my last cruise, I place a single band of duct tape, high visibility in color, around anything other than carry on luggage. I've found it much easier than looking through the sea of black luggage most have, and it can be spotted from a mile away ;). Plus you just never know when a little duct tape will come in handy as well.

In order to help ensure my DW doesn't feel embarassed due to the ungainly nature of the duct tape band, what do others do to help identify their luggage very easily?

Personally I see nothing wrong with the duct tape strap but since she does, you might want to purchase a colorful luggage strap instead. That is what we use. We have a rainbow strap. We also put a purple ribbon tied to the handle of the suitcase.

http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Deluxe-Luggage/dp/B000SL04IE/ref=zg_bs_2477392011_2

We have brightly colored luggage (bright red, purple, green), plus I make yellow yarn tassles on the handles. This helps on the baggage carousel at the airport.

But it hasn't been an issue on cruises since we've started hauling our own bags on the morning of debarkation.

Duct tape now comes in all sorts of colours and patterns.

My cruise suitcases now all have a large, bright, orange T on them (for my last name) and have the orange duct tape around the outside of the suitcase.

My work travel suitcases are decorated with zebra striped duct tape.

Getting off our last cruise, the porter said that our suitcases were the easiest he's ever found - just look for the bright orange "T".

I think your duct tape marker should work great. Anything that shouts out, "this is not your bag", the louder the better, and not to be shy about it. Anybody who has had their bag grabbed by somebody else, even eventually returned with apology wouldn't be self conscious or embarrassed. Not to mention reducing the hassle of finding your bag amongst thousands on disembarkation.

Go with the duck tape. My mom had her suitcase picked up by a priest, she got his vestments in the same brand of suitcase. Her tag was still on so he called her, he didn't want her underwear but if it was a bag full of valuable things and a different person picking it up.... The duck tape is not only so you find yours, it is so someone else doesn't grab you bags.

We are seasoned travellers... my DH puts the heavy duty packing tape around our luggage on both sides, covering the locks, I add some colored ribbon to the handles... also put our itinenary inside with contact information. We don't care what our luggage looks like, as long as it arrives. :D We also try to book the most direct flights possible, no code shares if we can avoid as well.

Rainbow belts around each piece, fluorescent plastic "ribbons" on the handles. Itinerary inside each bag.

The ribbons on the handles saved us once at the port - DH had placed his passport in his bag - found it just as it was going in the hold. Black bag on its side, on the cart STACKED WITH BLACK BAGS :confused: - he doesn't balk at the ribbons anymore

Marking your bags will also keep "unsavory" people from grabbing your bag

My next luggage purchase will be the most garish, outrageous, color that I can find:D

I have had luggage straps go missing so I don't use them any more.

We have for some occasions put bright coloured tape all around luggage. It is also an easy way to know if it has been tampered with. We have done this on busses and hotel/hostel luggage storage areas as well as planes.

Our last trip I had bright yellow ribbons on everything. It also helps to find zipper tabs if you have ribbons on them.

Archived