House wine?

Im not going to take a drinks package as I wont drink enough each day to warrant one. Will though have a bottle of wine at dinner which will hopefully last me a couple of nights :)

Ive only been on one cruise before with Cruise and Maritime and was delighted that the house wine was very nice and not overly expensive i think was like approx £15 per bottle.

Does any one know how much the bottled wine is for dinner on the Navigator please?

A friend who traveled on MSC said he bought 1/2 or 1/4 jugs of wine on his cruise but the disadvantage of that being it had to be drunk all in one go unlike bottled wine. But that it was cheaper that way.

Thanks in advance for your pearls of wisdom and your experiences x

Some will tell you the house wine is undrinkable, terrible, etc. In my opinion, it's not that bad, but it's not something I'd choose, if I were buying a bottle. They have a pretty hefty mark-up on wine, but you can get a decent bottle at the lower end of the price scale for something like $25 - 30. You can also bring a couple bottles (per cabin) on board with you. They charge a $25 corkage fee to bring that bottle to dinner, though. I've heard some people report that they were not charged the corkage fee, but if you're planning to bring your own into the dining room, I'd at least be prepared to pay corkage.

Some will tell you the house wine is undrinkable, terrible, etc. In my opinion, it's not that bad, but it's not something I'd choose, if I were buying a bottle. They have a pretty hefty mark-up on wine, but you can get a decent bottle at the lower end of the price scale for something like $25 - 30. You can also bring a couple bottles (per cabin) on board with you. They charge a $25 corkage fee to bring that bottle to dinner, though. I've heard some people report that they were not charged the corkage fee, but if you're planning to bring your own into the dining room, I'd at least be prepared to pay corkage.

They won't charge you if you bring it in a glass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As far as the house wine goes: I read a lot about people saying that it is not good. I am by far not a wine snob; I regularly order house wines when out to eat. I must admit that the house wine, La Terre I believe, is not very good. Its not undrinkable, but, I certainly wouldn't be ordering it by the bottle either. Too bad because if you did order the drink package you would be stuck drinking that. Enjoy your cruise!

Neil

There are plenty of wines to buy by the glass, not just the "house" wine. Wines by the glass start at about $7. You can get a good glass of wine for around $9 US. All drinks have a 15% tip added to the price. I suggest you bring aboard two bottles of your choice of wine. You can carry a glass into any dining venue if you like. You may buy a bottle of wine in the dining room and take it back to your cabin if you want. Wines by the bottle start at $27 US plus 15% tip that is automatically added.

One "good" thing about a cruise is buying some different wines by the glass to see if you enjoy them. We generally do this at dinner. Then, when we get back home, we go to the wine store and pay $11.00 for a bottle of wine that we were charged $10.00 per glass for on the ship. I believe in making a profit, but .... I also believe that those who drink A LOT on the ship are kind of subsidizing the "low" cruise price that many non-drinkers pay. I guess this is that "re-distribution of wealth" thing they warned us about.

Im not going to take a drinks package as I wont drink enough each day to warrant one. Will though have a bottle of wine at dinner which will hopefully last me a couple of nights :)

Ive only been on one cruise before with Cruise and Maritime and was delighted that the house wine was very nice and not overly expensive i think was like approx £15 per bottle.

Does any one know how much the bottled wine is for dinner on the Navigator please?

A friend who traveled on MSC said he bought 1/2 or 1/4 jugs of wine on his cruise but the disadvantage of that being it had to be drunk all in one go unlike bottled wine. But that it was cheaper that way.

Thanks in advance for your pearls of wisdom and your experiences x

There is a relatively inexpensive wine that RCCL serves as a “house wine”, called La Terra. It is on the wine list for about $25 per bottle. Some like it, but many do not. It is often served at ship events where there is no charge for the wine so that may sway the positive opinions.

In any case, RCCL has a fairly varied wine list with wine ranging from that $25 bottle to many in the $35 range ( to give you guideline - generally for about a bottle for $8-10 in a wine shop) and then up from there. You don’t have to drink it at one sitting - they will hold it for you to enjoy the next evening.

There may be a link to the current wine list for you to take a look.

As noted, you can also now bring a bottle or two on to the ship. Note that there is a fee to take it to the dining room .

enjoy

M

Thanks every one.

I m really gonna have to swat up on my maths conversion from $ to £ lol :) Gonna need it for the cruise me thinks so I dont over spend :)

Going to be weird thinking in £ converting to $ on the ship and then spending Euros on land. I think I might set my mathematical genius son on the task :) Knew he'd come in useful for something x

As for the house wine maybe ill try a glass at a regular bar and see just how terrible it is first before I risk a whole bottle :)

Dont think ill bother taking the two bottles on board with me, my luck im sure would mean they wouldnt make the flight from UK to rome with out getting broken and the risk of clothes covered in red wine and stuck on a boat scares the hell out of me lol.

Thanks for the advise , much appricated .

Hi HighlandGirlEB,

Welcome to cruise critic, I'm sure you will find it very beneficial for giving you lots of information. Another good thing is to join in the roll call for future cruises,

they give you a lot of good info.

Here is the roll call for your June 9th sailing. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1665563 Oops I just noticed you were on there.

I am originally from Inverness and presently live in Bolton, Ontario just north of Toronto International airport. I used to live on Fairfield Road, still have some relatives there. I still follow ICT every week and am really impressed by both Highland league clubs this season.

Welcome to cruising it will grow on you!

Cheers,

As a matter of interest, is it likely or unlikely that La Terra, being a Californian wine, will be the house wine on Liberty when she is on her Mediterranean schedule?

Oh I don't know about that. I think they have entire compartments filled with it!:rolleyes:

Seriously, there was no shortage of it on our transatlantic from Barcelona to New Orleans. This was after the ship had been in the Med all summer.

As a matter of interest, is it likely or unlikely that La Terra, being a Californian wine,

If you look closely, it is a "California Style Wine" owned by a Vietnamese wholesaler. There doesn't seem to be much information at all about the actual vintner or location where the wine is actually produced.

will be the house wine on Liberty when she is on her Mediterranean schedule?

Likely. They don't seem to change the wines served on the ships, no matter where they sail.

Hi HighlandGirlEB,

Welcome to cruise critic, I'm sure you will find it very beneficial for giving you lots of information. Another good thing is to join in the roll call for future cruises,

they give you a lot of good info.

Here is the roll call for your June 9th sailing. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1665563 Oops I just noticed you were on there.

I am originally from Inverness and presently live in Bolton, Ontario just north of Toronto International airport. I used to live on Fairfield Road, still have some relatives there. I still follow ICT every week and am really impressed by both Highland league clubs this season.

Welcome to cruising it will grow on you!

Cheers,

Hi there :) Just shows what a small world it can be :)

I live on the other side of town from Fairfield road , closer to Raigmore Hospital but know the area well. I dont really have much to do with the football teams but my brother is an avid supporter of ICT and goes to all their matches home and away. However does give me a sence of pride that our two wee teams are doing so well :)

I just work to a tight budget and like to plan little things ages in advance. Comes from bringing up children on a single wage I guess. I plan to have a great time on the cruise but hate to waste money. To be honest Im not really a fan of Californian wine anyways and that house wine just sounds "BAD" lol. Will prob go for some nice aussie red or something to be safe. Depends as we are sailing from Rome maybe they will have some nice Italian Chianti or something :)

Thank you all for your help and advice its great to know matter where you are in the world with the wonders of the internet you can talk to any one from any where and still find an Invernesion lol

I don't understand why Royals drick package only includes house wine. Celebrity and Carnivals packages includes wine by the glass up to a certain amount ($12 for Celebrity and $10 for Carnival). That way you can try different types rather than just house. I love the freedom of the drink packages but won't buy one on royal until they upgrade the wine options

I don't understand why Royals drick package only includes house wine. Celebrity and Carnivals packages includes wine by the glass up to a certain amount ($12 for Celebrity and $10 for Carnival). That way you can try different types rather than just house. I love the freedom of the drink packages but won't buy one on royal until they upgrade the wine options

My guess is that they figure they will make more profit the way they have it set up now, and won't change it unless they need to.

Archived