Alcohol now being destroyed

antsp

First of all you didn't read the package . Go to celebrity.com and read their 1 2 3 sale which has the alcohol package for $70 per per per day and everyone must buy the package.

The 123 sale is what they're giving away for free, I'm talking about buying the package. You are confusing the two. If you buy the packages anyone of drinking age can buy a package, you both don't have to, but with the 123 giveaways both people have to pick the same freebie. And there is no $70 package...go ask on the Celebrity board if you don't believe me. The premium package is $54 + 15% gratuity equaling $62 a day

We each carried one bottle of wine on board with us. Two of the bottles were liter size Chardonnay. We asked room service for 6 wine glasses and after enjoying a glass in our staterooms we refilled the glasses and took them with us to the main dining room on three occasions. We were not charged corkage and no-one even asked where they had come from. This was not particularly an attempt to save money on our part, although it did save a little

This explains why we will pay a corkage fee on the bottles after the first two. People have been abusing the privilege of bring wine on board and consuming it in the public venues. It is NOT being consumed in ones cabin. Despite what anyone says they are sneaking it into the dining room to save a few bucks and that costs us all in the form of higher fares.

The 123 sale is what they're giving away for free, I'm talking about buying the package. You are confusing the two. If you buy the packages anyone of drinking age can buy a package, you both don't have to, but with the 123 giveaways both people have to pick the same freebie. And there is no $70 package...go ask on the Celebrity board if you don't believe me. The premium package is $54 + 15% gratuity equaling $62 a day
I will take a second look because i just booked a Celebrity cruise for next year and the liquor package was quoted as $70 PP and both of us had to have it. I don't drink enough to make it worth while so prepaid gratuities makes more sense for me. Next Saturday I'm sailing out of San Pedro on the Sapphire where the OP says her Champagne was dumped. I plan to bring a few bottles of Wine and will put them in my carry on and see what happens. I suspect the OP had a liter bottle which is not permitted, only 750 ml bottles are allowed. I am taking 750 ml bottles only and expect no issues.

Let's see cruiselines have us paying their employees salary,buying our own food, Chastising each other for "Breaking the rules" set forth by the all knowing cruiselines and paying higher fares.....hmmmmmm

Yep sounds like the ideal vacation.NOT!:rolleyes:

All inclusive is looking better by the minute:)

I just though i would come back in on this thread as i am the op who started this. I am writing this post off line as i need to preserve most of my 250 mins over this 14 day cruise.*

This is whats happened in detail. We have been in LA for 5 days pre cruise, we are from the Uk. There are 6 of us in total in 2 seperate cabins. On Wednesday we packed all our cases. My wife had bought a bottle of Vodka and a big bottle of sparkling type champagne, my brother a large bottle of morgans spiced rum, this was in some fancy type bottle, the vodka and rum where for home, the champagne for on board.*

After we had checked in at San Pedro a large sign was on dispaly 4ft high size,it was as we approached security in the terminal, displaying alcohol check point ahead, i thought then that there may be a problem.

*After boarding and muster we returned to our cabins, both cabins had yellow cards on the door handles, at first i thought it was a all clear sign for the muster, it wasnt, directions to deck 4 near midship.*

Down on deck 4 about 20 people stood in line in front of us, we handed in the yellow card, our case was placed on a table and we were asked if there was any alcohol inside, we aswered yes, opened the case and asked to remove it. At no point did they search the case, we handed over 2 botlles from our case and my brother handed over his one.*

This is now were it all gets nasty

We are now told because that we have some alcohol outside the rule all will be destroyed, all gets very heated now, we ask to speak to a superviser, a guy instantly appears, smurking away in delight that he has got one over on some passangers, unless you where there its hard to describe this mans smug and smart ass atitude, i have never ever seen this on PrIncess before it was disgusting. We tried to explain the rum and vodka where gifts for home the smirk just got bigger.

Our alcohol was put in a big grey bin, all of it, other wines where getting tagged and put on a trolley i guess you will get them back at they end, but none of ours.

We put a complaint in at the pursers desk about this guy, he is only an officer, head off the food and beverage dept, we got his name as we where dealing with him, he was only to pleased to give it to us.*

It was only yesterday we see a picture of him in the Atrium along with all the other officers of the Golden.*

So we have *heard nothing back about our complaint, we have been told it will definatly be today ( fri ). Are main complaint really is about the Food and Beverage director and his delight in destoying are property. Where can a complaint about a head of a dept really go.

Odd this is, on the map they give you at check with your cabin number on, princess *state there alcohol policy. It says any liquour will be kept until the end of your cruise and returned. We havent commented on this yet as i only noiced it this morning whilst checking out the map. No one at the pursers desk could understand why the drink was being destroyed. I will hopefully have an update by close of play by today.*

Update. Still no internet as of today fri so i have this response pending on my ipad.*

Had a message left on vice mail. Ths is the new policy, its issued from there head office, its going fleet wide. Golden is the 1 st to run it. Sorry but tuff.*

Thats it sorry its long but theres the details.*

Antsp

I thank you also for your on the spot report re byo booze. I can only imagine the dramas other cruisers are going to have at embarkation and at ports in the future with enforcement of the alcohol/wine policy. So many of us Princess cruisers for many years have enjoyed bringing on local wines at ports. It appears staff including F&B Manager have been unprofessional and in fact rude. Why not complain to Princess head office re their attitude or corner the Captain? I would.

I do not like the idea of paying $15 for each additional bottle of wine over the permitted one per person at embarkation and I won't be in that deal, they can get knotted.

Enjoy Golden Princess. We are on her next year, around South America.

I can see this topic attaining record comment !

We put a complaint in at the pursers desk about this guy, he is only an officer, head off the food and beverage dept, we got his name as we where dealing with him, he was only to pleased to give it to us.*

One of the rudest people I have ever encountered on Princess

is a food and beverage manager. I think in that position, they

are so used to beating crew, that they are unable to adapt to

dealing with passengers.

I can't post his name, because the post will be deleted, but he is bringing out Royal.

More than enough reason for me to stay away from that ship.

This is just silly. I bet that hotel that gave you "all that" for $69.50 per person per day also offered you a lovely view of a parking lot that would never change as long as you stayed there. If that's all my vacation is going to be, I might as well stay at home.

A ship provides a 24/7 view of the water. Sure, sometimes that water is surrounded by a freight dock, but still, it's water. Location, location, location.

And, speaking of location, on a ship it changes every day.

But, if all you want to do is park your car, stay in your hotel room and drink all day, I think that $69.50 per person per day is exactly what you should spend on your vacation. And that parking lot view is exactly what you should get.

It was a comparative study of value per person per night. The hotel is used pre cruise for but one night. My error in the differential. The difference is an additional $141.50 per person per night to have two meals, see some mass entertainment and view all that water 24/7

It was a comparative study of value per person per night. The hotel is used pre cruise for but one night. My error in the differential. The difference is an additional $141.50 per person per night to have two meals, see some mass entertainment and view all that water 24/7

Don't forget to add in the airfare, that will really tip the balance.

I am sure that you have now convinced many people to

simply stay at their local airport hotel, rather than traveling

any further to take a cruise for their next vacation.

First let me say that I do not drink by choice having grown up in a family of alcoholics. My wife usually has no more than one fruitie drink per day on the ship and on some days none. She may or may not have a glass of wine with her dinner. On a really hot day she may have a cold beer. She is certainly not an alcoholic and can go for days, even weeks, without a drink.

We have never brought alcohol on board a ship other than an occasional bottle of local brewed beer from a port we have visited for my wife. And then it is in our carryon with no attempt to disguise it or hide it. We have never had a problem, but maybe that is because we have so many gray hairs.;)

If cruise lines want to continue to treat its passengers like children or common criminals, they will find that passengers will just move to other lines that treat them like adults and law abiding citizens.

For me it really isn't about saving money at all, but more about being treated like an adult. All of the silliness of bag checking, naughty rooms, etc., is more than I can tolerate. I experienced that once on NCL and never went back.

Truth be told, being able to board as much wine as one desires, paying the $15.00 corkage fee, will actually save us money as we will now be able to bring our own wine into the dining room and clubs, rather than purchasing Princess wine, which is marked up considerably more than $15.00 per bottle. Moreover, we will be able to have the wine we really want, rather than what is available in the Princess cellar. So, other than the hassle of buying and boarding it, the new policy will be a win for wine lovers and a loss for Princess.

I honestly don't see how Princess anticipates they will win. People who never brought their own wine on board will continue on as always and buy what they always bought. People who always brought wine on board for in-room consumption will continue to do so, probably in greater quantity than previously, and just pay the corkage fee and start brining their own wine into the dining room. So, at least from our perspective Princess will gain the corkage fee, but lose the sale of the wine we would have typically purchased at dinner or in the clubs.

Of course, some will migrate to Holland America.

The thing that bothers me the most about this whole thing is all of the misinformation and lack of communication and staff training as witnessed in Australia. If the champagne was actually destroyed, as the original poster stated (and I have no reason not to believe her) this would be another example of poor communication and training.

Now I know that a bunch of you will jump in and say that it was destroyed because it was in her checked bag, but the Princess VP clearly stated in her interview yesterday that it makes no difference if your wine/champagne is in your checked or carry on bags.

Very poorly planned, communicated, and launched, in my humble opinion.

BEST and most intelligent comment on this subject!!!

Let's see cruiselines have us paying their employees salary,buying our own food, Chastising each other for "Breaking the rules" set forth by the all knowing cruiselines and paying higher fares.....hmmmmmm

Yep sounds like the ideal vacation.NOT!:rolleyes:

All inclusive is looking better by the minute:)

we are thinking the same thing! Just not getting a welcoming feeling here. Not just the "rule" itself, but the poor handling of the whole thing.

Janet

Celebrity requires both people in a double occupancy cabin buy the package to prevent cheating. I saw they do indeed have a cheaper packages besides the $70 one. The complimentary lounge is worthless to early diners and those that do go for a drink are not allowed to take it to their cabin to enjoy on their balcony or where ever they want. I prefer the mini bar from Princess.

As someone who will be sailing on Celebrity at the end of April I can tell you that you have mistaken. First the most expensive package is only $54 plus gratuity a day and second both passengers are not required to purchase it. I think you are confusing it with Royal Caribbean who has that rule.

Has anyone experienced paying the corkage fee on wine? If so, what was the process? A seperate line? A fee collection table? Applied to your on- board charges? Have no problem paying the $15, just wondering how it happens.

It looks like Princess has a definite "Roll-out" schedule for the enforcement.

Maybe we can turn this thread into something like this:

Date:

Embarkation point:

Ship:

(enforced) (not enforced)

People could then plan accordingly as time progresses. If not interested, others could move on to other topics.

I think that the OP intended this thread as a heads up to others due to what happened to them, not so much as an ethics debate.

Just a thought.

It looks like Princess has a definite "Roll-out" schedule for the enforcement.

Maybe we can turn this thread into something like this:

Date:

Embarkation point:

Ship:

(enforced) (not enforced)

People could then plan accordingly as time progresses. If not interested, others could move on to other topics.

I think that the OP intended this thread as a heads up to others due to what happened to them, not so much as an ethics debate.

Just a thought.

It would be nice if Princess would just let people know when they will start enforcement.

I wonder how those that use Rum Runners are making out with this new policy.

We just got back from a cruise on the Caribbean Princess. When we got on the ship, we just ordered a bottle of scotch from room service. It was about $6 more than you would pay for a similar bottle purchased at Total Wine, but we didn't have to deal with the hassle factor.

I would expect Princess to come out with some sort of alcohol package at some point in the future, but to pay $50 or so per day for it and get your monies worth, you'd be bombed for the entire cruise.

I just though i would come back in on this thread as i am the op who started this. I am writing this post off line as i need to preserve most of my 250 mins over this 14 day cruise.*

This is whats happened in detail. We have been in LA for 5 days pre cruise, we are from the Uk. There are 6 of us in total in 2 seperate cabins. On Wednesday we packed all our cases. My wife had bought a bottle of Vodka and a big bottle of sparkling type champagne, *

Just as I suspected, your bottle was outside of the 750 ml allowed. I would think Princess will not care about your complaint regarding the officer because in doing his job he is bound to make the person unhappy. It sounds like the officer needs some training in handling disgruntled passengers more sensitively but he's probably sick of smugglers giving him a bad time.

One of the rudest people I have ever encountered on Princess

is a food and beverage manager. I think in that position, they

are so used to beating crew, that they are unable to adapt to

dealing with passengers.

I can't post his name, because the post will be deleted, but he is bringing out Royal.

More than enough reason for me to stay away from that ship.

Put it this way, i knew how to spell his 1st name

Put it this way, i knew how to spell his 1st name

I encourage you to complain directly to princess about him.

I complained on the email survey, and then sent a separate letter.

Nothing happened. Apparently Princess is only interested in complaints

about low-level crew.

Sadly, a few months later I encountered the same 'gentleman'

working on Ruby.

I encourage you to complain directly to princess about him.

I complained on the email survey, and then sent a separate letter.

Nothing happened. Apparently Princess is only interested in complaints

about low-level crew.

Sadly, a few months later I encountered the same 'gentleman'

working on Ruby.

I guess you know who i have encounted then

Don't forget to add in the airfare, that will really tip the balance.

I am sure that you have now convinced many people to

simply stay at their local airport hotel, rather than traveling

any further to take a cruise for their next vacation.

Then it's Hilton you work for?

Archived