Signature Suites - Are they worth it?

Viking75

In a signature suite can you order a full breakfast through room service or is it only continental?

I've never sailed in a Signature Suite, so don't know this from experience, but I know I can order a full, hot, room service breakfast in my inside cabin. So I don't know why not in a higher cabin. ;)

DH and I have been discussing the possibility of going from VD4166 with the 18 ft balcony to an SZ GNT. The price diff for 14 days per person for us is $490 PP. We also have a family retreat cabana, so overall I think we have a nice amount of space.

The reason we are considering it is for:

1. The dining table on our balcony that the VD does not have

2. The extra in cabin space

3. The telephone concierge... We are hoping this will keep us from having to go to front desk as much? Has anyone had success with doing alot over the phone or will they tell you to come to guest relations? Any input on this would be helpful. What can they do for you? For instance if you call and ask for a print out of your bill, I am sure you will just need to go down and wait in line for it. Just not sure what they really do.

The price is not bad, just wondering if it is really worth it as the SZs have finally opened. They actually opened for a bit more than I am used to seeing.

So we are not sure.

Our cabin is already amazing I am sure. Its a mini suite on other lines lol and I am totally happy with it, but if I can get a good amount of space and cut my times down at the front desk that would be great.

This is our first non suite on HAL.

Just wondering is $490 PP is even worth it.

Edited by surfergirle

DH and I have been discussing the possibility of going from VD4166 with the 18 ft balcony to an SZ GNT. The price diff for 14 days per person for us is $490 PP. We also have a family retreat cabana, so overall I think we have a nice amount of space.

The reason we are considering it is for:

1. The dining table on our balcony that the VD does not have

2. The extra in cabin space

3. The telephone concierge... We are hoping this will keep us from having to go to front desk as much? Has anyone had success with doing alot over the phone or will they tell you to come to guest relations? Any input on this would be helpful. What can they do for you? For instance if you call and ask for a print out of your bill, I am sure you will just need to go down and wait in line for it. Just not sure what they really do.

The price is not bad, just wondering if it is really worth it as the SZs have finally opened. They actually opened for a bit more than I am used to seeing.

So we are not sure.

Our cabin is already amazing I am sure. Its a mini suite on other lines lol and I am totally happy with it, but if I can get a good amount of space and cut my times down at the front desk that would be great.

This is our first non suite on HAL.

Just wondering is $490 PP is even worth it.

Since I have had 4166 a couple of time and several time in the SZ/SY/SS I would vote for the SZ and yes it is worth the extra $$ or at least for us it is. :)

The one thing to remember too is that of all the categories the Signature Suite is the first category to always sell out, while granted there are some rare occasions for Up Sell offers it is not nearly as often as Signature Suite to Neptune Suite or OV to the Balcony. Then if you ever thought you wanted to try a Neptune Suite once you are booked in a Signature it is very likely to get an Up Sell offer ;)

On another topic only one more episode :eek: Not sure where they will take it. Sunday felt like a final in a way.

I've never sailed in a Signature Suite, so don't know this from experience, but I know I can order a full, hot, room service breakfast in my inside cabin. So I don't know why not in a higher cabin. ;)

Awesome. Thank you for the quick replies.

Since I have had 4166 a couple of time and several time in the SZ/SY/SS I would vote for the SZ and yes it is worth the extra $$ or at least for us it is. :)

The one thing to remember too is that of all the categories the Signature Suite is the first category to always sell out, while granted there are some rare occasions for Up Sell offers it is not nearly as often as Signature Suite to Neptune Suite or OV to the Balcony. Then if you ever thought you wanted to try a Neptune Suite once you are booked in a Signature it is very likely to get an Up Sell offer ;)

On another topic only one more episode :eek: Not sure where they will take it. Sunday felt like a final in a way.

Thanks Lisa, after doing all of our cruises in HAL in a Neptune suite, we just realized it was not doing it for us versus the price we were paying. We love the idea of the 4166 and really think it is good enough for us, BUT I always was curious about the Superior Suites. Sounds like picking up a phone would be much easier and the dining table is a plus.

Do you think that $490 PP for 14 days is a good price? I am not even considering waiting for an up-sell because that will never happen. I have horrible luck. When we decide it will be final.

That is $35 dollars a day, per person. Hummmmmm.

As for upgrading to a Neptune (if we had a SZ Gnt) it would have to be a real deal for us to consider doing it again. But if it happens and its a deal we will jump on it. Otherwise we will be perfectly happy in the VD or SZ Gnt.

Lisa:

On a side note, it did feel really final! This weekend I have 2 weddings and bridal show, so its going to be nuts. I will be getting home as it starts.

I have a feeling poor Warlo will go to tons of effort decorating a wedding space for him and Sookie (poor thing really loves her I think anyway) and I think grandpa Niall will come back and kill him not knowing whats been going on! Its going to be devastating! If grandpa Niall does not do it, someone will. They have a potential to be too happy for anyone to let them be. Eeeekk! Is right! Terry's funeral so sad!

Edited by surfergirle

Double sinks---you are so happy right:) the sinks alone are worth the price of admission. The free standing shower is another selling point. I also love that we can move about the large cabin without one of us having to flatten against the wall while the other passes.

We did try a Neptune suite once but found we hardly used the Neptune Lounge. Also, I didn't like the dressing table in the closet. I like to be able to watch the scenery going by while doing hair and makeup in the morning.

The Signature suites are just perfect for us and worth the extra cost. I remember the first time we tried one it was just to be for that one time and my husband said not to get too attached to the idea. Well we all know how that plays out. :D In the end it was my husband who decided he did not want to go back to sharing sinks at sea. Who am I to argue? ;)

I agree with you as well. We had an offer for an upsell to a suite formerly known as Superior on our first transatlantic, and I immediately thought of the extra sinks when getting ready for early excursions and the extra space for breakfast in the room. Last year, we were on the Ryndam so no Superior/Signatures were available, but we did take a last minute upsell offer for a Deluxe. While the pampering was fun and the coffee machine excellent, the pastries were too convenient and it seemed we were always dressing for some cocktail party.

DH and I agree the sinks, space, and laundry are what we valued the most, so we have a Signature for our Eurodam cruise this month, and have purchased the laundry. In the future, we will probably look for Signatures when available. On smaller ships, Vista suites are fine especially for Caribbean cruises where we are less likely to have early morning shore excursions.

Thanks Lisa, after doing all of our cruises in HAL in a Neptune suite, we just realized it was not doing it for us versus the price we were paying. We love the idea of the 4166 and really think it is good enough for us, BUT I always was curious about the Superior Suites. Sounds like picking up a phone would be much easier and the dining table is a plus.

Do you think that $490 PP for 14 days is a good price? I am not even considering waiting for an up-sell because that will never happen. I have horrible luck. When we decide it will be final.

That is $35 dollars a day, per person. Hummmmmm.

As for upgrading to a Neptune (if we had a SZ Gnt) it would have to be a real deal for us to consider doing it again. But if it happens and its a deal we will jump on it. Otherwise we will be perfectly happy in the VD or SZ Gnt.

Lisa:

On a side note, it did feel really final! This weekend I have 2 weddings and bridal show, so its going to be nuts. I will be getting home as it starts.

I have a feeling poor Warlo will go to tons of effort decorating a wedding space for him and Sookie (poor thing really loves her I think anyway) and I think grandpa Niall will come back and kill him not knowing whats been going on! Its going to be devastating! If grandpa Niall does not do it, someone will. They have a potential to be too happy for anyone to let them be. Eeeekk! Is right! Terry's funeral so sad!

I have to say out of 30+ HAL cruises and the majority were in Neptune Suites over all our favorite category to book really is the Signature Suites. We seldom use the Neptune but we like the extra space for cabin, bathroom and balcony that the Signature Suites provide. I am one that actually dislikes the dressing area on the Neptune Suite. It tends ti get hot and humid in that area from the bathroom shower, the orange tint of the mirror drives me nuts. I much prefer the dressing table out in the cabin with the natural day light. So you can count me in on the fact that yes I think the extra is worth the money :D

Off topic to Surfergirlie, I too will be busy this Sunday and not sure I will be home in time so may have to watch it "On Demand' on Monday night and I said to my husband a couple of weeks ago that Niall would be back at the end ;) I think you could be spot on for your guessing.

On our recent cruise on Eurodam, we opted for an upsell from standard balcony cabin to the Signature suite (5093).

At first I was concerned about its location adjacent to the elevator, but that never was an issue. The cabin was super quiet, and lots of privacy on the balcony.

In our opinion it WAS WORTH EVERY PENNY!!!

Even though our std cabin had a bathtub, I knew DW would LOVE the whirlpool tub, and she used it at least once a day.

On the other hand, I take showers and appreciate having my own glass shower.

The double sinks were a bonus also.

The room is about the size of a standard hotel room, which means about 40% larger than the normal balcony room. The extra space is really nice.

Lots of storage space, lots of closet, and in fact, we didn't even use two of the drawers under the TV.

I'm not sure what the telephone concierge is - never used it.

But we did use room service for breakfast almost every morning.

It was superior to what we've had on any other cruise line.

Most mornings we would get: several glasses of Grapefruit juice; 2 bowls of fresh mixed berries; eggs and sausages; toast; 1 caraffe of coffee; 2 pots of tea, and everything was HOT!!! (and delicious).

It always arrived on time. The only comment I have is that on RCI, and others, they would phone as they were leaving the kitchen so that you are ready when they arrive (ie dressed).

On HAL they don't, so make sure you are prepared. ;) :D

I have to say out of 30+ HAL cruises and the majority were in Neptune Suites over all our favorite category to book really is the Signature Suites. We seldom use the Neptune but we like the extra space for cabin, bathroom and balcony that the Signature Suites provide. I am one that actually dislikes the dressing area on the Neptune Suite. It tends ti get hot and humid in that area from the bathroom shower, the orange tint of the mirror drives me nuts. I much prefer the dressing table out in the cabin with the natural day light. So you can count me in on the fact that yes I think the extra is worth the money :D

I think we are most likely going to do it. $35 a day is not too bad.

We have done both cabin types. For a longer cruise I preferred the extra space of the Signature Suite. For a shorter Alaskan cruise I would prefer the bigger balcony.

We didn't find the telephone concierge that important. For example, when in a regular balcony cabin, a couple of times, we called the front desk before going to bed to ask for a print out of our account and it was under our door in the morning. You can make a call to the concierge or you can make a call to the front desk (or whatever department), either way most requests we have had could be achieved with a single call.

There are very few reports, if any, of those cabins being subjected to noise from above. We have been in them a few times, both under the buffet and the pool, and have never had an issue with noise from above.

I agree, also SS have huge bathrooms with double sinks, also double days towards marnier status

I agree, also SS have huge bathrooms with double sinks, also double days towards marnier status

We have 4 bathrooms in our house, there are just 2 of us, i make DH and i use the same sink (one sink of the double in the master) so i don't have to clean every sink in the house! Lol. I have to as my hands just hurt all the time from the job i do. I can not do things with my hands i used to. And i am only 34.

We are so used to it. But if i do not have to clean it, then by all means!

We have done both cabin types. For a longer cruise I preferred the extra space of the Signature Suite. For a shorter Alaskan cruise I would prefer the bigger balcony.

We didn't find the telephone concierge that important. For example, when in a regular balcony cabin, a couple of times, we called the front desk before going to bed to ask for a print out of our account and it was under our door in the morning. You can make a call to the concierge or you can make a call to the front desk (or whatever department), either way most requests we have had could be achieved with a single call.

Thats so good to know! Thanks for respond about the telephone concierge.

I think only the Neptune Suites qualify for the double day bonus. At least, we were not credited with double days.

I think only the Neptune Suites qualify for the double day bonus. At least, we were not credited with double days.

PS, Neptune Suites and Vista Suites has been my understanding. so on the ships with the categories SY, SS and SZ and with the ships without them the verandah suites are supposed to be included. At least that has always been my understanding.

The easiest way I understood it was....if the name suite is in the cabin category, then it qualifies for the double days.

PS, Neptune Suites and Vista Suites has been my understanding. so on the ships with the categories SY, SS and SZ and with the ships without them the verandah suites are supposed to be included. At least that has always been my understanding.

The easiest way I understood it was....if the name suite is in the cabin category, then it qualifies for the double days.

Oh, I'll have to look into that. We were in an SY on the Noordam and were not given the credit. Thanks for the information!

We had originally booked a VD but paid to upgrade to a SY a few months before the cruise. It wasn't an upsell or upgrade offered by HAL, we paid the current fare for the SY. Maybe I'll send them an email just to ask about it.

Thanks again for the information!

We had originally booked a VD but paid to upgrade to a SY a few months before the cruise. It wasn't an upsell or upgrade offered by HAL, we paid the current fare for the SY. Maybe I'll send them an email just to ask about it.

Thanks again for the information!

In this case you should absolutely get it. Contact the Mariner society.

To me it wouldn't be worth it. But I'm the type who can enjoy an inside cabin. If the difference in price isn't too much for your budget, then only you can decide. But remember that whatever extra you pay could make you decide to skimp on some other things--shore excursions, specialty restaurants, good wine. These are things that I'd rather spend my money on.

I am right there with you, I would rather take two cruises in an inside cabin versus one in a suite but each to there own ;)

I am right there with you, I would rather take two cruises in an inside cabin versus one in a suite but each to there own ;)

Right now we've gotten a steal on VD 4166 with the 18ft balcony, $1619 for 14 days.

To upgrade its $35 per person per day.

Just not sure. Ive had the thought of VD 4166 in my mind forever now...Having a hard time changing my mind set.

We are already 3 stars, and i doubt with the new wine policy we will ever get to 4, so the extra points aren't a biggie.

Edited by surfergirle