I'm Convinced! Now - Nieuw Amsterdam or Westerdam????

missac

Thanks to all you lovely people who helped - I think we're going to give HAL a try this winter! Full disclosure - I posted the same request for help on the Princess Board (we've also done a couple Princess cruises) and we think we're a better fit over here.

So please tell me - do I want the NA (because all those food options look great!) or do I want the Westerdam (because so many people seem to love her)?

Itin is basically the same - swapping St. Maartin for St. Thomas, I think, and we've been to both countless times so it doesn't make a ton of difference. I like St. Maartin a little better but I would rather have a better ship experience.

Help on this and then, I swear, I'll stop asking questions!

Thanks!

HMMMMM

Really tough.

We have many days on the Westerdam and we do love her.

But we love the Nieuw Amsterdam because she has the Tamarind Restaurant which we love.

Having been to both St Thomas and St Maarten many, many times -- again hard.

Just wish that the Nieuw Amsterdam had St Maarten as we do not care for Crown Bay.

Boy -- I guess I didn't solve this problem for you.

Wish you luck in your decision.

Thanks to all you lovely people who helped - I think we're going to give HAL a try this winter! Full disclosure - I posted the same request for help on the Princess Board (we've also done a couple Princess cruises) and we think we're a better fit over here.

So please tell me - do I want the NA (because all those food options look great!) or do I want the Westerdam (because so many people seem to love her)?

Itin is basically the same - swapping St. Maartin for St. Thomas, I think, and we've been to both countless times so it doesn't make a ton of difference. I like St. Maartin a little better but I would rather have a better ship experience.

Help on this and then, I swear, I'll stop asking questions!

Thanks!

Yes, you want the 'Westerdam' ;)

The advantage to NA over Westerdam is Tamarind and Silk Den. But you are aware of that distinction.

We've sailed both ships and I give the edge to Westerdam.

I just like the feel of that ship more for no particularly specific reason though we did find her crew to be very friendly. :) That is not to say that NA does not also have a wonderful crew as she does.

You really won't go wrong sailing either. IMO

As others have said. :)

The Westerdam should feel less crowded. It has fewer passengers in essentially the same amount of public space.

Less competition for seats in the Lido and show lounges when so many people want to be in the same place at the same time. Less competition for more deck chairs around the Lido pool.

We just visited St. martin on our recent cruise and spent a beautiful day at Coco Beach at Orient beach. Really beautiful spot and so much nicer than St. Thomas, although I like Magen's Bay Beach there too, but not as nice as Orient.

I've been on both ships - no question from our experience - the Westerdam wins hands down. She has the highest return ratio next to the Prinsendam and I get why.

Service on this ship was wonderful IMO and I would happily sail on her again. S

Haven't sailed on NA yet, but staff on Westerdam were fantastic when we were on it. And count us in in the repeaters. The decor is the most elegant and tasteful out of all the Vistas, without being over the top modern (atrium on Noordam)

Archived