What % of passengers

mutare

What % of passengers actually use Cruise Critic? I only discovered it when a reviewer I emailed with some first time questions recommended it. How did you get to know about this site?

I found CC from an article link.

The highest participation in a roll call I been on is around 5% of passengers but usually much less. Some people use CC only for information with no intent of joining in tours or roll call so no way of knowing how many of those types there are.

I have to say, after a rather creepy experience in a roll call, I don't engage in roll calls, and we have 17 cruises on our resume. And I know quite a few other CCers who also don't participate in their roll calls. So numbers on a roll call don't reflect the participation percentage. Heck, I see evidence every day here that a large number of people on Cruise Critic don't even know what a Roll Call is!

On the other hand, I do read the roll calls for our cruises (just don't engage). I see on our upcoming B2B, the there are over 60 people gathering for the M&G, which would be 3%.

We minimize our Roll Call participation because its often taken over by folks that want to talk about their dogs, cats, birds, etc. And we have had some that organize skits at the Meet and Greets and become somewhat clingy onboard. So we keep a low profile on many cruises :)

Hank

What % of passengers actually use Cruise Critic? I only discovered it when a reviewer I emailed with some first time questions recommended it. How did you get to know about this site?

Difficult to say exactly what percentage of cruisers are even aware of Cruise Critic, let alone those that use the site. There are several other cruise forum sites, but this one seems to have the largest number of members and the most activity. I came across this site a few years ago when I was on line doing research on some cruises.

I've read that it is less than 2% of cruisers. Cruised for at least 5 years before I stumbled upon CC and got along just fine without it. Have learned quite a few handy things since joining. What amuses me the most is when a roll call doesn't have a large number of participants so people think they're going to be on an empty ship.:D

You may have to include the uncounted lurkers, too. People who come here to look at things, but don't sign up or have signed up but never post. The "lookie Lous" of the Internet world... They could bump it up a percent of a percentage point.

I joined Cruise Critic back in 2001 -- when there only about 20,000 members. I was hunting around the Internet and stumbled onto this site.

There was a time when I used to join the Roll Calls. Some actually contacted HAL and arranged for Meet & Greets. A couple of times we just had informal get-togethers.

The last Meet & Greet I attended there were over 70 people that attended on ship of about 2000 passengers. Not bad.

But once the Roll Calls wanted to do gift exchanges, play games and do cabin crawls -- I dropped out of them.

There are a small percent of the passengers participating in the Roll Call. If someone wanted they could collect the numbers for all cruises to get an accurate percentage. Beyond that there are a number of people that participate in CC, but do not join Roll Calls. This number is more difficult to estimate. Finally, there are people who read CC, but do not post.

According to this website http://www.statisticbrain.com/cruise-ship-industry-statistics/ in 2010 there were 14.3 million cruise ship passengers. Out of that number there has to be a percentage who take multiple trips in a year. In a completely arbitrary fashion we will say that equals 2.3 million passengers, leaving 12 million passengers per year. There are 1 million members on cruise critic. Fractions were never my strong suit, but I come up with .08%. That is my SWAG answer:).

I found CC and another cruise related site through Google. That site was less intimidating than CC so that's the one I used the most, although I lurked here from time to time also. Eventually I realized that CC was the better resource and made the switch.

FWIW we had 3 people on my last roll call.

According to this website http://www.statisticbrain.com/cruise-ship-industry-statistics/ in 2010 there were 14.3 million cruise ship passengers. Out of that number there has to be a percentage who take multiple trips in a year. In a completely arbitrary fashion we will say that equals 2.3 million passengers, leaving 12 million passengers per year. There are 1 million members on cruise critic. Fractions were never my strong suit, but I come up with .08%. That is my SWAG answer:).

I found CC and another cruise related site through Google. That site was less intimidating than CC so that's the one I used the most, although I lurked here from time to time also. Eventually I realized that CC was the better resource and made the switch.

FWIW we had 3 people on my last roll call.

Your SWAG is as good as any guess I can come up with. Just one point, only about half of the CC members have ever posted. While I am sure some are new and others just like to read, I am sure many of the non-posters have not been here in a long time.

Tell us about the creepy experience. Please.

I have to say, after a rather creepy experience in a roll call, I don't engage in roll calls, and we have 17 cruises on our resume.

I will pass. Suffice to say, as mentioned by someone else, "clingy" was a problem.

I joined Cruise Critic back in 2001 -- when there only about 20,000 members. I was hunting around the Internet and stumbled onto this site.

There was a time when I used to join the Roll Calls. Some actually contacted HAL and arranged for Meet & Greets. A couple of times we just had informal get-togethers.

The last Meet & Greet I attended there were over 70 people that attended on ship of about 2000 passengers. Not bad.

But once the Roll Calls wanted to do gift exchanges, play games and do cabin crawls -- I dropped out of them.

I am beginning to feel the same about Roll Calls. Gifts, Games. Cabin Crawls. Slot pulls.etc But i do enjoy all the information about ports and tours.

I attended a cabin crawl for the first time in May. When I had 1st heard of this I thought it might be rather lame, but decided to give it a try anyway. I'm so glad I did. I only wish I had taken a camera for it because many of the cabins we checked out were the atypical ones. I finished that cabin crawl feeling like I would have a dilemma choosing what type to book next time. I was surprised to see some ocean view cabins that I greatly preferred over balcony cabins.

Archived