NB or SB Alaska

stormynow

Seems as if getting to Vancouver or Seattle would be much easier with far more choices than flying in to Anchorage on the day of your sailing. Getting from FL to Anchorage to Whittier all in the same day in time to ensure catching the ship before it leaves could be stressful. Honestly, I haven't looked at flight schedules, so I can't say for sure. But this would seem to be the path of most resistence if you can only arrive on the day of departure.

NB sailings appear to be discounted much more than SB. And on a related note, since you are planning to go next month, there seems to be greater cabin choice on NB cruises (hence the reason why they are cheaper). Some SB cruises have very limited availability.

I agree with the previous poster - if you are forced to fly in the day of sailing, then NB would be your option. Flying into Vancouver would be much easier than flying into Anchorage. Not sure if you are aware that the SB cruises don't actually leave from Anchorage, but usually Whittier or Seward. This means you would have to get a transfer (not sure the railroad would work) from the Anchorage airport to either Whittier or Seward - which are both several hours away.

We just got back from our SB cruise, but we also flew in a week before the cruise to take advantage of seeing Denali National Park and other inland areas. We didn't have too many choices in flights (since we used frequent flier miles) that would have allowed us to fly in on the day of sailaway. Our flight got into Anchorage at noon, but most of the other flights I looked at wouldn't have gotten us in until 5pm or later - too late to make it for a SB sailing.

Whichever way you choose, I would still strongly suggest that you try and fly in a day early. I know weather here in Atlanta has been horrible lately with lots of delays out of Hartsfield. You wouldn't want to chance missing your cruise because of a weather delay. Since you are coming from SW FL, odds are you won't have a direct flight and may have to fly through ATL. Hartsfield can be a pain to get through on a good day if you have a layover, but it can be an absolute nightmare if planes have been delayed due to weather or other unforeseen circumstances.

Either NB or SB you are looking at at least a 5 hour actual flying time to Vancouver and more to Anchorage. Then you have transfer times from the airports to the terminal and then check in times for the cruise. All it would take is just one, repeat just one, delay and you are missing your cruise. Please reconsider trying to do it same day as many have advised. I make the trip from Richmond, Va to Vancouver at least once a year and always seem to run into delays. Good luck no matter how you go.

As mentioned, the advantage of booking a northbound sailing is that you would have a much better chance of making your cruise. The logistics of getting to Anchorage from Florida and then the drive to the actual port which will be at least either 1.5 hours or 2.5 hours depending on the departure port wouldn’t leave much room for error. The road from Anchorage to Whittier or Seward is an accident prone area and subject to hours of closures occasionally.

I will say, your ONLY choice is to fly into Vancouver and take a northbound cruise. You can not use Seattle From Florida, any flight is going to get you there after 10am, likely, which is your latest you can transfer to Vancouver, even this time is "late".

Think carefully about this choice, there are more risks involved and there are not near the availability of flights into Vancouver as there are Seattle. If something happens with your flights, you are unlikely to have any options for later flights getting you to the port on time. If you book using a cruise air option, be well aware, there is NO guarantee you will make a same day cruise.

SB is also a better sale because many people fly up and take a land tour first. Then, they can take their cruise and relax on the way back. NB means you would go on the land tour after the cruise, which is a bit more hectic.

SB is also a better sale because many people fly up and take a land tour first. Then, they can take their cruise and relax on the way back. NB means you would go on the land tour after the cruise, which is a bit more hectic.

Relax??? :) :) :)

I am always an advocate of good planning with a mainland itinerary, which many cruisetours are not. My plans are never hectic and I don't go on an Alaska cruise to "relax", :) My plans are always even.

Key is to have your time, destinations and activities matching. Don't underestimate this. Less can be more.

BQ is correct in that the NB is the only choice you really have. All SB cruises leave from Whittier or Seward and they are both several hours from Anchorage and even when those cruises leave late afternoon/early evening there are a limited number of shuttles between the two towns.

Even trying to fly cross country and make a NB cruise out of Vancouver with a 4PM departure would be risky. You would have at least one if not two connections plus getting through CA customs at the airport . Add to that if you miss the cruise, there is no other place along the route where you could fly and catch up with the ship due to customs issues. You actually go through US Customs prior to boarding the ship. I am not even sure if going back to Seattle and then trying to board at Juneau would even work.

I would seriously re think your plans and travel the day before your NB cruise.

On both our Alaska cruises we also have arrived morning of cruise and the NB works out the best for us...We then fly out of ANC taking the morning (7:30am) cruise train transfer from Seward to Anchorage an amazing trip if you have a same day flight home or want to get to Anchorage early in the day (11:30am).

The Pan Pacific is right there at Canada Place. Not sure the expense though. That's the only one I've read about that I can remember off the top of my head. We didn't stay in Vancouver so I'm sorry I can't be more of a help. The Pan Pacific looked really nice though and you can't beat the location!

Stormynow: There are numerous hotel suggestions for Vancouver on the West Coast departures forum. It is a wonderful city, and a great place to stay for several days before a cruise. We've stayed at the Sutton Place in the past and would definitely stay there again. We have a cruise booked departing from Vancouver in September, and booked the Pan Pacific instead for a change.

I am so glad that you will be flying into the port a day prior to departure. Since we live in the middle of Alaska we fly to every cruise port, and always arrive at least a day early.

Whew! You had me worried with your same day plan, after our recent air delays (on days with absolutely perfect weather). Especially because even with a NB cruise, the ship is At Sea the next day so you will really miss a lot if you miss sailaway.

If you're planning to fly straight home after the cruise, NB is just as good as SB.

Stormynow: There are numerous hotel suggestions for Vancouver on the West Coast departures forum. It is a wonderful city, and a great place to stay for several days before a cruise. We've stayed at the Sutton Place in the past and would definitely stay there again. We have a cruise booked departing from Vancouver in September, and booked the Pan Pacific instead for a change.

Yes, go to the West Coast departures. There is a huge Vancouver thread there along with many others regarding the area.

Relax??? :) :) :)

I am always an advocate of good planning with a mainland itinerary, which many cruisetours are not. My plans are never hectic and I don't go on an Alaska cruise to "relax", :) My plans are always even.

Key is to have your time, destinations and activities matching. Don't underestimate this. Less can be more.

My first thought is that you go on Alaska cruises to "tense up"...:confused:

But actually, I have read others who have made that very remark. THat they use the cruise to rest up from their ambitious cruise tour.

You are the exception, not the rule in this case....

My first thought is that you go on Alaska cruises to "tense up"...:confused:

But actually, I have read others who have made that very remark. THat they use the cruise to rest up from their ambitious cruise tour.

You are the exception, not the rule in this case....

I am the exception with cruisetours. They are "hectic" on the land portion, which is a common statement. Just from reading the itinerary, they never have enough time at some locations. Early morning departures, group point to point, etc.

Independent travelers, you don't see a lot of rushed, hectic itineraries.

Sorry, but you are misreading me. I use my time in Alaska for Alaska. :) I always have an excellent balance with my time and touring selections. There is no "tense" with my trips. I have the luxury to go multiple times and for far longer than the average visitor. It does make a significant difference, but I always advocate second and third looking at initial plans and be realistic with time and distances. Less can sometimes be more. :)

We solved that problem. We always do both, B2B. Just easier that way.

Add to this suggestion, this year there have been BIG give away discounts, with 2 week cruises being less than a single. I picked one up for less than $700. :)

Archived