Formal Attire Requirements

bmtpsu

Most cruisers do dress up on the formal nights in Blu and in the Specialty Restaurants. It is not mandated but it is a special night for most cruisers.

We were in Blu last Fall on a repo to San Juan from NJ- a cruise that I would think would have a fairly casual vibe. Smart casual vs. Formal of some sort was about 50/50. And no one seemed to care one way or the other. No sneering from the formals and no "who do they think they are's" from the casuals. And vice-versa. :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Forums mobile app

Aw, shucks. If you're not going to post anything controversial, how can we sling mud?:D

Sorry, I'm getting lazy. How's this:

In reality you can get away with virtually anything in the MDR so long as you slip the maître d' a generous tip on the first night. However taking a tux is useful as they can be used to reserve deckchairs.

Better?

In reality you can get away with virtually anything in the MDR so long as you slip the maître d' a generous tip on the first night. However taking a tux is useful as they can be used to reserve deckchairs.

Better?

Hmmm. Formal dress code AND chair hogging! Nice try for a warm-up. When you're ready for a more strenuous flame war, add in that you want a smoking section added to the dining room, that you want late seating with your toddler, and that you wear lanyards with everything!:D

Most cruisers do dress up on the formal nights in Blu and in the Specialty Restaurants. It is not mandated but it is a special night for most cruisers.

Many cruisers look to the spec restaurants as an escape from the constraints of formalwear.

Better?

I know you are trying to be funny but someone may take it serious that you can avoid the dress codes by slipping money to the maitre'd........There are new people out there who read these posts.

And then there are those of us that use the spec restaurants as an excuse to dress formal! :p:D

And with the quality slipping in the MDR, some of us go to the spec rest to get a better meal:D

That is as long as we don't slip on a flip flop and get our tux dirty and have to go change:)

Hey Wallie5446 - seeing how you are from Texas can I ask you a question? This last weekend at my dd's wedding - there was a fellow wearing a cowboy hat - inside at a pretty upscale place. Being that we were in Michigan (the beautiful Sunset Coast on the west side) it really stood out. I would think wearing one's hat indoors is bad manners but am I not understanding the culture of the cowboy hat? Inquiring minds want to know. :D And back to our regular thread.

I know you are trying to be funny but someone may take it serious that you can avoid the dress codes by slipping money to the maitre'd........There are new people out there who read these posts.

But most new readers here have IQ's over 50.:)

....and have a sense of humour.:D:D

But I do agree that any talk about slipping money to the maitre'd should be confined to the "tipping" threads.

FYI -- this was just posted by someone who just disembarked Reflection:

"Formal nights on the 11 night Eastern Med. were the first and last sea days, and the whole ship except the Oceanview was requested to dress formally."

This is consistent with some other reports that this has been the case sporadically on other ships. Don't know what this means, if some Hotel Director has gone rogue and made up his own rules, or if there is a transition in place, or if it was just a mistake.

When in doubt, look it up.

From the Celebrity web page.

Evening Dress Codes

Main Dining Room

Cruise Length # of Smart Casual and Above Evening # of Formal Evening

2 - 6 days 1 - 5 1

7 - 11 days 5 - 9 2

12 - 15 days 9 - 12 3

16+ days 12+ 4

(Formatting leaves a lot to be desired.

Examples of 'Smart Casual and Above' and "Formal' attire include:

Smart Casual and Above

Ladies: Skirt or pants/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) complemented by sweater or blouse.

Gentlemen: Pant/trousers (no holes, rips or tears) with collared sports shirt or sweater. Shirts must have sleeves.

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip flops are not allowed in the evening hours. As a courtesy to our guests, we respectfully require and enforce compliance with dress code at the entrance of your restaurant of choice. Additionally, guests are asked to follow the 'Smart Casual and Above: dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances.

Formal

Ladies: Cocktail dress, gown or dressy pantsuit

Gentlemen: Tuxedo, suit or dinner jacket with slacks.

Specialty Restaurants (Including Blu for our AquaClass Guests)

The dress code at Celebrity's Specialty Restaurants is 'Smart Casual and Above' for every night of your cruise. Formal attire is only required in the main dining room on your formal evenings. Emphasis added.

And then there are those of us that use the spec restaurants as an excuse to dress formal! :D

I have to ask... How many of the casually dressed people in those spec restaurants were looking down their noses and muttering how YOUR formal wear COMPLETELY RUINED *T*H*E*I*R* dining experience?!? :confused:

Are you SURE you didn't feel "out of place" since you were NOT dressed like everyone else?

Didn't dressing formally in an informal venue completely destroy the "special feeling" of dressing formally?

Did anyone mention you might be displaying a paucity of manners towards your fellow cruisers for dressing formally in an informal venue?

Were you not concerned that the Maitre D' might hand your husband a polo shirt to wear over his Tux? (or would he just wear it to the table and then place it over the back of the chair?)

Were you not concerned that you might be spoiling the other diners' "special feeling" of everyone dining in casual clothing?

i have to ask... How many of the casually dressed people in those spec restaurants were looking down their noses and muttering how your formal wear completely ruined *t*h*e*i*r* dining experience?!? :confused:

Are you sure you didn't feel "out of place" since you were not dressed like everyone else?

Didn't dressing formally in an informal venue completely destroy the "special feeling" of dressing formally?

Did anyone mention you might be displaying a paucity of manners towards your fellow cruisers for dressing formally in an informal venue?

Were you not concerned that the maitre d' might hand your husband a polo shirt to wear over his tux? (or would he just wear it to the table and then place it over the back of the chair?)

ROFLMAO :d :d

And with the quality slipping in the MDR, some of us go to the spec rest to get a better meal:D

That is as long as we don't slip on a flip flop and get our tux dirty and have to go change:)

And truth be told, even though it's a step above, the specialty restaurants haven't exactly been stellar experiences the last year or so either.

Hey Wallie5446 - seeing how you are from Texas can I ask you a question? This last weekend at my dd's wedding - there was a fellow wearing a cowboy hat - inside at a pretty upscale place. Being that we were in Michigan (the beautiful Sunset Coast on the west side) it really stood out. I would think wearing one's hat indoors is bad manners but am I not understanding the culture of the cowboy hat? Inquiring minds want to know. :D And back to our regular thread.

You only thought the CC boards got warm talkin bout dress codes! The Cowboy hat is a gig all its own. There are many formal shin-digs in these here part's that you dont get in if'uns you dont have on your Stetson, and it best not be no cheap $400 or $500 one neither. But as far as what would Ms Manner's say is prim and proper, I dont have a clue:)

And truth be told, even though it's a step above, the specialty restaurants haven't exactly been stellar experiences the last year or so either.

Please know that I was being totally 'toung in cheek' as mentioned in post #13:D

The Cowboy hat is a gig all its own. There are many formal shin-digs in these here part's that you dont get in if'uns you dont have on your Stetson, and it best not be no cheap $400 or $500 one neither. But as far as what would Ms Manner's say is prim and proper, I dont have a clue:)

Bum Phillips was a class act..

"Mama always said that if it can't rain on you, you're indoors." (Explaining why he wouldn't wear his cowboy hat in a domed stadium)

Archived