moved from one cabin to another, same category, cabin marked as no upgrade

vmom

We have booked a balcony on the Diamond Princess for Nov from Singapore. We booked early so as to get the cabin we wanted on the Port side of the Ship. Princess will get a blast from me if we are moved. To move you and put someone in your chosen cabin seems like a dollar or two changed hands.

We have booked a balcony on the Diamond Princess for Nov from Singapore. We booked early so as to get the cabin we wanted on the Port side of the Ship. Princess will get a blast from me if we are moved. To move you and put someone in your chosen cabin seems like a dollar or two changed hands.

Did you have the booking marked "will not accept upgrade?"

A couple of years ago, we booked side by side cabins and marked them No Upgrade, since we were traveling with our minor children and wanted them next door to us.

When we arrived at the port, we found we'd been upgraded - from the insides we'd booked (very far forward) to mid ship obstructed view. They upgraded both of our cabins and kept us side by side. They had sent an email 5 days prior to sailing, but we never saw it as we'd already started our drive to the port.

We were quite pleased with the upgrade, but very surprised it happened since we had definitely been marked "No Upgrade".

So it does happen...although I have no idea why or how.

Just curious as to if many others have had this experience.

I had booked an obstructed view cabin on the Grand. I used the wonderful website link which has views of the various obstructed views on the Princess ships. I love that website.

After great care using this site, I picked out 2 cabins with a good view although obstructed. Both cabins were on the same hallway, although not next to each other. Both cabins were marked as no upgrade.

When I got to port, I discovered I had been moved to a different cabin, same category, but on the other side of the ship. It was also an obstructed view, same level, so not an upgrade. My original room was occupied by two other people, so the cabin was not changed due to needing work done. It was also not a handicapped cabin.

I was initially irritated, since I had picked out those cabin locations specifically for their location on the same hall and for the view from the window. I just accepted the change and did not say anything.

I have now made reservations for another obstructed view cabin on the Caribbean Princess. It has minimal obstruction and I bwill be very upset if I get moved to another cabin unless its for a very very good reason (example, needed work done on it). I marked it as no upgrade.

Do changes like this happen often? I found out my cabin was moved 5 days before sailing and I was not notified.

Any way to lessen the chances of being moved?

You've got me worried now.

We always mark our booking for no upgrade, but our next cruise is offered as a b2b so I hope we don't have a problem. I check the cruise personalizer every few days, and I'll be extra vigilant now. However, since your boarding pass showed the cabin you booked originally I'll still worry until I'm onboard.

Several of you asked for a follow up post as to what had happened when our cabin had been moved shortly before sailing without notification. This is a follow up to that post::)

Princess rep just called and she was very apologetic and very nice.

She acknowledged that our booking had listed no upgrade or changes and that I should not have been moved without first being contacted for my okay.

What had happened is that a family was traveling and wanted two cabins next to each other. According to what I was told, an adult woman ( the teen's aunt) and young teen wanted to be close to the teen's parents. They had two rooms on the same deck, but not next to each other. We were moved so they could be next to each other.

The rep said I should have been called and asked if this was okay before I was moved. She acknowledged that someone from Princess had failed to follow this policy and we were moved without being notified.

If I had been called, I would likely have given the okay for the move given the circumstances. The move to the other side of the ship did make it more inconvenient for us since I was also traveling with my daughter and her husband (mid 20's) and my original location was down the hall from them.

To compensate us for our inconvenience, since the Princess rep did acknowledge our two cabin reservations were linked , she offered us $150 credit for my daughter and I for our next cruise ($300 total for our cabin). I did not ask or request any sort of compensation. My request was that I wanted to know how to make sure I was not moved in the future without first being contacted. It was however a wonderful surprise and a gracious good will gesture on behalf of Princess.

I am glad I called and found out the reason behind the move and was very impressed with the way the Princess rep was so open to my concern and irritation at being moved without notice.

Thank you everyone for your comments, suggestions, and understanding.

quote.gif multiquote_off.gif quickreply.gif

It sounds like it was handled well after the fact. However if the two people wanting cabins together were not previously together, then it stands to reason there were two options. Move Cabin A to Cabin B, or move Cabin B to Cabin A. I would assume that the couple adjacent to the cabin that was moved probably did not have a "do not upgrade" note on their reservation, so why not move them instead of you? The foursome would still be together and you would still have your cabin.

Anyway, it sounds like you are reasonably pleased with the outcome and I think you handled the original issue very well as well. I'm not sure I would have been so nonchalant about losing an obstructed view I had specifically chosen for it's obstruction level and location.

And as a side note I have dealt with Princess a couple times already regarding my reservation and I have also always been pleased and impressed with how fair and pleasant they are to deal with. I'm pleased to hear how fairly they handled your compensation.

Glad to hear that Princess responded, took responsibility and offered you compensation. Whomever screwed up did more than move you without notification: they didn't bother to check your booking for linked bookings and that you also had relatives nearby. There were options other than to move you.

I'm glad you got a little lagniappe from Princess for your issue.

Nevertheless, does it smack to anyone else besides me of "easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission"? Like, just move these nice people and if they should happen to complain, deal with it later. Of course, then they're so polite to us on the phone that we end up thanking them for their mistake! They have us totally hooked in this sick co-dependent relationship. Sigh.

Archived