New Captains Club Level

diligaf51

In my opinion, yes they sould be dropped down a tier if not cruised in 5 years and dropped to Select if not cruised in 10. Sorry it struck a cord with you, but many major business consider loyality to be a customer that uses their products.

It would be one of their worst choices. Think about how people cruise...they take a cruise or two with kids...then skip many years while kids are in high school, perhaps take a cruise when they are in college and then they have time and money to cruise....just after celebrity cuts their credits or levels....just when you want them back!! The idea is to keep people who cruised once coming back later in life. It would have exactly the wrong effect.....

It would be one of their worst choices. Think about how people cruise...they take a cruise or two with kids...then skip many years while kids are in high school, perhaps take a cruise when they are in college and then they have time and money to cruise....just after celebrity cuts their credits or levels....just when you want them back!! The idea is to keep people who cruised once coming back later in life. It would have exactly the wrong effect.....

I believe that loyalty is using a product on a regular basis, not using it every now and then. People don't stop using an airline, because each year they have to start over again and the same goes for other companies. Sorry you disagree, but it is my opinion. If we all had the same opinions, just think how boring this world would be.

I believe that loyalty is using a product on a regular basis, not using it every now and then. People don't stop using an airline, because each year they have to start over again and the same goes for other companies. Sorry you disagree, but it is my opinion. If we all had the same opinions, just think how boring this world would be.

Southwest, your Reward points never expire, 41 straight qrts showing a profit. American, points expire, we all know where they are.

All we can do is sit back and wait and see what Celebrity is going to do. Until then we will enjoy our soon to be earned status in the top tier of the loyality food chain. Oh, and Diamond on RCCL.

Back to things that really matter in life, like what someone is wearing to dinner.

Southwest, your Reward points never expire, 41 straight qrts showing a profit. American, points expire, we all know where they are.

All we can do is sit back and wait and see what Celebrity is going to do. Until then we will enjoy our soon to be earned status in the top tier of the loyality food chain. Oh, and Diamond on RCCL.

Back to things that really matter in life, like what someone is wearing to dinner.

Delta your miles do not expire, but your tier level does. You need so many miles to maintain your level. I need 5000 more miles by the end of the year to get to the next level. If I don't make it I will say at the level I'm until 2/15. In the end it is up to Celebrity. Richard

Speaking of waffles, those in the new category should get a special waffle stamp on their seapass card.

If you just hold up the card when you order your waffles, they will automatically give you freshly made waffles hot off the griddle.

That way you don't need to go through the explanation each time of why you don't want the soggy, pre-cooked waffles already sitting in the warming pan that they try to give you if you don't insist on fresh ones.

I can't see how loyalty with airlines can be compared to loyalty with cruise lines. People use airlines to get from one place to the other. Quite often, the choice is based on which one gets there in a certain amount of time or is the cheapest.. Cruise lines are entirely for pleasure. I have no loyalty to airlines, but I do to cruise lines.

Some of you who have a lot of Elite points are perfectly willing to take away benefits, and even Elite status, to everyone below you. I think Celebrity knows they can add benefits, but not take benefits away from anyone. People seldom notice losing anything they have never received. But if you take away a benefit they have been receiving, or have been working to receive, they will leave.

I can't see how loyalty with airlines can be compared to loyalty with cruise lines. People use airlines to get from one place to the other. Quite often, the choice is based on which one gets there in a certain amount of time or is the cheapest.. Cruise lines are entirely for pleasure. I have no loyalty to airlines, but I do to cruise lines.

Some of you who have a lot of Elite points are perfectly willing to take away benefits, and even Elite status, to everyone below you. I think Celebrity knows they can add benefits, but not take benefits away from anyone. People seldom notice losing anything they have never received. But if you take away a benefit they have been receiving, or have been working to receive, they will leave.

You might to look around at airlines. At check in I have a certain line to go in. Sometime like a cruiseline. From there I go to the lounge for free drinks. Something like a cruiseline. While I'm flying my free drinks and food are brought to me. Still something like the Elite happy hour. IF you want dinner before your flight in the lounge they will serve you dinner so you can sleep during your flight. Something like having dinner in your room on the cruise ship. Where the cruiseline does drop the ball is while between flights I can get a shower and a massage all for free. I have not heard of free massages for doing B2B cruises yet. But I'm looking. My last trip around the world was great by air. SEA to MEL to NRT to LHR to SEA. Yes even airlines have suites now. Richard

Edited by bigbenboys
move things around

In my opinion, yes they sould be dropped down a tier if not cruised in 5 years and dropped to Select if not cruised in 10. Sorry it struck a cord with you, but many major business consider loyality to be a customer that uses their products.

While I am partial agreement with this, it would not lessen the number of Elites by much (if that is the real issue). I would feel more comfortable with just adding a tier or two above Elite, seeing as the current thresholds are five and ten for Select and Elite perhaps the new thresholds should be twenty and forty.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

While I am partial agreement with this, it would not lessen the number of Elites by much (if that is the real issue). I would feel more comfortable with just adding a tier or two above Elite, seeing as the current thresholds are five and ten for Select and Elite perhaps the new thresholds should be twenty and forty.:D

Interesting speculation as is that of many posters.

To make our musings have more substance it would be helpful to know how many (or what percentage) of "Elites" have how many points (or days, if that becomes the criteria).

Do any of our CC posters know the breakdown of the numbers?

BTW, twenty for the next new level would make me happy, but I would miss having Social Hour with those very frequent cruisers I have met if their venue is separate as on Royal.

No envy for me as I feel X has been generous with their perks. IMO that is why there are so many "Elites" - it has been relatively easy to get to that level for many pax.

I am enjoying the discussions about the unannounced loyalty program. My attraction to Celebrity was the ease of moving from level to level(started cruising more often after children graduated from college). I was sold on Celebrity on my first Cruise. Since I book only C1 cabins and above, I will lack one cruise by the end of the year. I will not be a happy camper if I they change the program. I vote for adding additional levels.

Instead of taking away any benefits from Elite, they might adopt similar further 'stepped' tiers, as P&O have now. 2501+ points (no of days at sea) puts you into their Caribbean level. The next two levels are Baltic (80-200 days at sea in last 3 yrs) and Ligurian (201+ days at sea in last 3 yrs) They take the last 3 yrs date from the embarkation date of your last cruise. Therefore, you don't automatically stay in their top two tiers unless you cruise for the required number of days.

However, you can't count any days at sea with other lines, even within the same group!

Lou

Airlines have levels and to maintain them you must travel with them so many miles with in a year. If you don't travel with them for 18 months you back to zero. So as a cruiseline you would have to cruise every 18 months to maintain your level. If not you will start over. Or drop down 1 level each 18 months that you don't take 1 cruise. Richard

I believe many in the top tier of airline programs are business travelers. a person traveling for business can be a big source of profits. Experienced travelers with more last minute fares (read more expensive fares). More likely to purchase business or first class on long haul flights so they will be quickly able to function on their jobs upon arrival (as opposed to the tourist who can recover at leisure, literally). I do little business travel; I do not even aspire to the top tiers. Those tiers are out of my reach as my job keeps me grounded most weeks. OTOH, those airlines let me keep my miles for years with no activity or token activity (like giving the number when I rent a car), so they are not trying to alienate the regular leisure traveler. So occasionally I get a free ticket or free drinks or free upgrades from my slowly accumulated air miles (enroute to my cruises).

there are no such business "whales" in the cruise industry, just many, many "fishes" paying for pleasure cruises. some can cruise more often, some less often. The occasional cruiser may spend more on extras than the frequent cruiser. The profit model is totally different from airlines. So the loyalty program must be different, too.

Not directed at any particular poster...I just cringe when a poster seems to imply somebody else (who has status in the cruiseline's program) is undeserving or should be culled out of the program. The cruiselines know their business and profit points far better than most CC posters; we likely know the on board experience better than the ledgers. we may not have the big picture of filling ships and generating profits.

Instead of taking away any benefits from Elite, they might adopt similar further 'stepped' tiers, as P&O have now. 2501+ points (no of days at sea) puts you into their Caribbean level. The next two levels are Baltic (80-200 days at sea in last 3 yrs) and Ligurian (201+ days at sea in last 3 yrs) They take the last 3 yrs date from the embarkation date of your last cruise. Therefore, you don't automatically stay in their top two tiers unless you cruise for the required number of days.

However, you can't count any days at sea with other lines, even within the same group!

Lou

I am from the US, and I have not sailed P&O. perhaps that is not surprising given this quote for a CC ship review " But everyone is from the U.K. Foreigners should stay away unless they can live with the oh-so British ambience."( I might well enjoy that ambience for a change). Do you agree it is nearly all UK?

If so, they are drawing from a small (by US standards) geographic area (about the same sq km as Florida plus southern half of Georgia). so everybody in the UK is close to embarkation port by my US standards. Now we need a Canadian to chime in to really lend perspective about size and distance.

Not so for cruise lines seeking mostly North American travelers with a mix of other international travelers. many of the target customers are very far from embarkation ports, so much more travel is involved just to get to the port and home. And generally working people here have far fewer vacation days, so working people do not generally have to so many days to spend aboard even if they wish to.

While I see how that works for P&O, I just do not think that model will translate well.

Edited by Starry Eyes

I'd be fine with them going to say a 5 year rolling program where points 5 years old or more fall off, thus requires loyalty from customer to use regularly and keeps the numbers down.

Continue to track lifetime points counting even those that drop off, and then give super elite access as seems appropriate for those that cruise a lot.

and give points on dollars spent similar to hotels do, dollars spent and number of nights tracked. no more double points for suites etc, as that is covered by additional fare paid. Then make status tied to a particular dollar and number of nights both.

Not directed at any particular poster...I just cringe when a poster seems to imply somebody else (who has status in the cruiseline's program) is undeserving or should be culled out of the program. The cruiselines know their business and profit points far better than most CC posters; we likely know the on board experience better than the ledgers. we may not have the big picture of filling ships and generating profits.

No need to cringe, we are all just voicing opinions and as everyone knows will not have a thing to do with what Celebrity will do. One poster is set on culling the number of Elites (he wanted to set Elite's new days sailed at 140, which would, in my opinion, severely punish a lot of Elite passengers who cruise regularly by knocking them down to Select). I think I came up with a fair way to do it, by reducing the tiers of those that don't cruise on Celebrity for many years, which would not hurt Celebrity's current loyal customers. So in essence, it is all just fun and games for some to try to come up with a program even though we have not control or input on what is going to happen. And, yes, you are correct, Celebrity knows best and I'm sure they will come up with a model that they feel will bring them the most revenue, whether we like it or not.

Edited by NLH Arizona

2501+ points (no of days at sea) puts you into their Caribbean level. The next two levels are Baltic (80-200 days at sea in last 3 yrs) and Ligurian (201+ days at sea in last 3 yrs) They take the last 3 yrs date from the embarkation date of your last cruise. Therefore, you don't automatically stay in their top two tiers unless you cruise for the required number of days.

Lou

I have never sailed on P&O.

It is impossible to have 2501+ points in 3 years!

Even if you sailed EVERY single day that is 1095:confused:

Can you please clarify?

Okay, let's end this. Here's what they should do: Invite me and my DW along with 9 other selected cruisers and spouses or significant other to be their guests on a cruise. The group will meet with high ranking decision makers from Celebrity and be charged with creating new loyalty program. The meetings can be held in my gratis PH Suite to ensure privacy. Figure that this will take 10 to 11 days to complete our work since we should be meeting for about an hour each day. Celebrity's loyalty program questions will be finally answered and they can always use the group as the defense for any attacks.

Okay, let's end this. Here's what they should do: Invite me and my DW along with 9 other selected cruisers and spouses or significant other to be their guests on a cruise. The group will meet with high ranking decision makers from Celebrity and be charged with creating new loyalty program. The meetings can be held in my gratis PH Suite to ensure privacy. Figure that this will take 10 to 11 days to complete our work since we should be meeting for about an hour each day. Celebrity's loyalty program questions will be finally answered and they can always use the group as the defense for any attacks.

LOL! Now that is funny!

After wading through these endless threads speculating and whining on about the reward system Celebrity generously offers I think too many forget.

The first rule of being Elite is: You do not talk about the ELITE CLUB.

FWIW

2nd RULE: You DO NOT talk about the ELITE CLUB.

:cool::cool::D

Edited by A Sixth?

No need to cringe, we are all just voicing opinions and as everyone knows will not have a thing to do with what Celebrity will do. One poster is set on culling the number of Elites (he wanted to set Elite's new days sailed at 140, which would, in my opinion, severely punish a lot of Elite passengers who cruise regularly by knocking them down to Select). I think I came up with a fair way to do it, by reducing the tiers of those that don't cruise on Celebrity for many years, which would not hurt Celebrity's current loyal customers. So in essence, it is all just fun and games for some to try to come up with a program even though we have not control or input on what is going to happen. And, yes, you are correct, Celebrity knows best and I'm sure they will come up with a model that they feel will bring them the most revenue, whether we like it or not.

I know it they are just opinions, and I doubt Celebrity will utilize them much if at all. Just as people have a right to express their opinions, I suppose I have a right to cringe as I read them. Personally I do not like it when somebody in the loyalty program seems judge another in the loyalty program as unworthy.

In part, the question arises what is a valued and/or loyal customer? Perhaps the corporation's definition (and mine) is simply broader than the definition of others.

By many people's definition, I am not loyal. I generally cruise three different lines (Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, and NCL), and I try to mix them up so I will not get bored with menus, shows, activities, style, and so on. This year, I am taking two cruises on each of those three lines. I am at high levels in each "loyalty" program. Is 24 days this year on Celebrity a loyal customer? since I sail other lines, some might say "no", but as I have more than enough captains club credits, I do not wish fellow passengers to attempt to pass judgement my status during the the cocktail hour.