Learning to be Elite.

specialdiet

And remember NEVER admit that you love the free drinks - if you get the vouchers you MUST complain because all Elites know that they love the cocktail party ONLY for the wonderful company of others so well traveled. Of course I'm not Elite so we can't speak - or make eye contact - that would be a social breach of epic proportions. :eek:

It's obviously for the opportunity to associate with the more refined element. Surely, a few dollars worth of alcohol wouldn't be enough to influence the behaviour (or multi-thousand-dollar purchasing decisions) of those us who breathe the rarified Elite air.

But of course PEOPLE LIKE YOU wouldn't understand that.

(Sorry, having flashbacks to a bad Oceania cruise experience...)

And remember NEVER admit that you love the free drinks - if you get the vouchers you MUST complain because all Elites know that they love the cocktail party ONLY for the wonderful company of others so well traveled. Of course I'm not Elite so we can't speak - or make eye contact - that would be a social breach of epic proportions. :eek:

This is the best one yet!!!!

Clearly specialdiet ,you are worthy of this long deserved status for your wit.

As as Elite, do you get a special diet?

You also now want to start posting that the program needs to be changed to require more cruises, so that the riff raff don't get into The Club. :D
Known as "pulling up the ladder behind you". As soon as I make this exalted station ,I will agree with you.

Clearly specialdiet ,you are worthy of this long deserved status for your wit.

As as Elite, do you get a special diet?Known as "pulling up the ladder behind you". As soon as I make this exalted station ,I will agree with you.

OMG - I LOVE this "pulling up the ladder behind you" - I'm going to use this for sure!!!! Yes remember that now that YOU are Elite the criteria MUST be changed. If it took you 10 - 7 night cruises or less based on cabin selection - X must surely realize that it should now be by days sailed only and it should be 541 days as the minimum. :rolleyes:

Ha! All the cruise lines have loyalty rewards, but I think RCCL/Celebrity are the only ones that have Happy Hour each night. I've never gotten a voucher....:rolleyes: And RCCL gives you a welcome basket and bottle of wine when you are Diamond Plus.

That said I am an Elite member, but really inferior to the Concierge, Suite, Aqua and balcony groups. They get most of the Elite stuff AND a butler, their own dining room, etc.

Me? Inside cabin at a great price. Steerage all the way, Baby! See ya in the Happy Hour Lounge!:cool:

Lisa

Do not forget an Elite snob always opens the conversation with "How many Cruises...." - Await the reply from a lowly person and then say "Oh, we are Elite" - With that the lowly person must remove themselves from the conversation, and the ship.;)

Ha! All the cruise lines have loyalty rewards, but I think RCCL/Celebrity are the only ones that have Happy Hour each night. I've never gotten a voucher....:rolleyes: And RCCL gives you a welcome basket and bottle of wine when you are Diamond Plus.

That said I am an Elite member, but really inferior to the Concierge, Suite, Aqua and balcony groups. They get most of the Elite stuff AND a butler, their own dining room, etc.

Me? Inside cabin at a great price. Steerage all the way, Baby! See ya in the Happy Hour Lounge!:cool:

Lisa

At least if you are going to gripe, keep it accurate :) concierge and balcony don't get their own dining room or butler; suites don't get their own dining room; aqua don't get a butler.

Now do you feel better in you steerage cubby hole.

Lisa

Bring on the Elite cull!

Do not forget an Elite snob always opens the conversation with "How many Cruises...." - Await the reply from a lowly person and then say "Oh, we are Elite" - With that the lowly person must remove themselves from the conversation, and the ship.;)

A true knob knows that we only talk in cruise credits. 18 cruises, 54 credits, please. Yes, we meant knob.

Lisa

Where is the dining room for the Concierge and balcony groups?

I've learned so much from all of your responses, yet still don't feel entirely ready for the momentous undertaking of cruising as an Elite. Luckily our next voyage isn't until May! :D
Fortunately you still have eight months to practice in preparation, so hopefully you won't embarrass yourself on your first cruise as Elite, the way that some of us who were uninformed and unprepared unfortunately did.

Roll a long piece of red carpet out on your driveway and practice walking up and down on it with your nose held high in the air each day, without tripping.

On rainy days, try not to squish too much.

Cast disdainful looks of superiority toward anyone else around who is not Elite, such as family members or pets or the mail carrier or UPS delivery person.

Hire some neighborhood children to line up and act as paparazzi and admirers, so that you will not be startled by all those flashbulbs going off in your face and the crowds requesting your autograph when you arrive at the pier for embarkation.

As you probably know, shaking hands is discouraged on cruise ships.

Once you become elite, you no longer do fist bumps or high-fives but instead are expected to give the royal hand wave.

Practice until it becomes effortless for you. If you are not already familiar with the correct way to do it, here are the instructions

Royal Wave: How Do the Royals Do It? - ABC News

Note that there was an mistake in the original article where it said

"“That particular style of wave is pretty much restricted to members of the royal family,” and I believe it was later amended to read

"“That particular style of wave is pretty much restricted to members of the royal family and Elite passengers on Celebrity cruises."

Good one. Now that my wife and I have finally made it, I must remember not to doff my cap or tug at my forelock whilst aboard.

ROLF, ROLF and ROLF again.

I will be monitoring the OP's future posts carefully to see if his input becomes subtly altered once he has begun enjoying the new status.

There's been mention of the secret handshake and I believe that there may also be some strange intiation practices happening in Michael's Club. Last time I walked past during the day it looked like they were having a seance. I do hope there aren't any behaviour modification practices in play - a bit like the gulags or the workers' re-education camps. If he comes back wanting a new super duper Big Kahuna level my suspicions will be confirmed.

On our Azamara cruise in January , they gave a bottle of champagne and some sort of plaque or something to the person with the most cruises...we were on for 30 days so this happened a couple of times...of course it was the same person each time....he was on for like 6 months...others were complaining that they should get something also...we were embarrassed for them...they certainly practiced being, "ELITE"...

I will be monitoring the OP's future posts carefully to see if his input becomes subtly altered once he has begun enjoying the new status... I do hope there aren't any behaviour modification practices in play - a bit like the gulags or the workers' re-education camps. If he comes back wanting a new super duper Big Kahuna level my suspicions will be confirmed.

Doh! If I weren't Elite I'd become self-conscious!

As for behaviour modification, my wife is a psychiatrist, so I'm pretty sure I'm immune by now. Or she wants me to think I am anyway. :)

Archived