Learning to be Elite.

specialdiet

My wife and I just hit our 10 points, so for our next sailing we'll be Elite. As I slowly appreciate what a massive change this will be, I have carefully researched the ramifications through the many threads on this discussion forum.

I believe the following points do summarize what I need to know, but of course, I would welcome any feedback from those who have done this much longer, my new brothers-and-sisters-in-status.

1. After all those years of suffering in concierge class and suites were merely the price of entry into the exceptional experience that is Elite cruising. I will finally have a true cruising experience. From the inside stateroom I booked.

2. When the ship staff call me "sir", they will mean it. Not like before.

3. My loyalty points demonstrate my civility and class. They have nothing to do with qualifying my level of disposable income.

4. I am unique and special. The other 500 Elites onboard are a statistical anomaly, or more likely were sent by head office to ensure I didn't feel awkward with my new status.

5. I now realize what an incredible bargain onboard laundry and internet were as a regular passenger. Because they are Elite perks they are obviously worth much more than what they are charging. Overly generous to non-Elite passengers I now understand.

6. The Elite level of the Captain's Club is for my benefit, not Celebrity's. Sure, at lower level, it's just a business decision, but Elite transcends that.

7. It is now my responsibility to ensure that lower class passengers know how much better things were in years past. How the ships were shinier. How the captain met with each guest individually. How passengers were just better people.

8. Free drinks and other perks obviously cost much more than individualized marketing efforts.

9. As Celebrity will surely add a new class of membership any day now, I must keep sailing with Celebrity to ensure I qualify, or heaven forbid, lose some perks.

10. With how I'll be now treated on Celebrity, it would be ridiculous for me to ever sail on a real luxury line, and be treated just as one of their average passengers.

My wife and I just hit our 10 points, so for our next sailing we'll be Elite. As I slowly appreciate what a massive change this will be, I have carefully researched the ramifications through the many threads on this discussion forum.

I believe the following points do summarize what I need to know, but of course, I would welcome any feedback from those who have done this much longer, my new brothers-and-sisters-in-status.

1. After all those years of suffering in concierge class and suites were merely the price of entry into the exceptional experience that is Elite cruising. I will finally have a true cruising experience. From the inside stateroom I booked.

2. When the ship staff call me "sir", they will mean it. Not like before.

3. My loyalty points demonstrate my civility and class. They have nothing to do with qualifying my level of disposable income.

4. I am unique and special. The other 500 Elites onboard are a statistical anomaly, or more likely were sent by head office to ensure I didn't feel awkward with my new status.

5. I now realize what an incredible bargain onboard laundry and internet were as a regular passenger. Because they are Elite perks they are obviously worth much more than what they are charging. Overly generous to non-Elite passengers I now understand.

6. The Elite level of the Captain's Club is for my benefit, not Celebrity's. Sure, at lower level, it's just a business decision, but Elite transcends that.

7. It is now my responsibility to ensure that lower class passengers know how much better things were in years past. How the ships were shinier. How the captain met with each guest individually. How passengers were just better people.

8. Free drinks and other perks obviously cost much more than individualized marketing efforts.

9. As Celebrity will surely add a new class of membership any day now, I must keep sailing with Celebrity to ensure I qualify, or heaven forbid, lose some perks.

10. With how I'll be now treated on Celebrity, it would be ridiculous for me to ever sail on a real luxury line, and be treated just as one of their average passengers.

LOL - Your forgot to mention "To wear my new shiny pin at all times to evidence my new found status. Also to regularly point to it when engaging in conversation with those of a lower club classes";):D

LOL - Your forgot to mention "To wear my new shiny pin at all times to evidence my new found status. Also to regularly point to it when engaging in conversation with those of a lower club classes";):D

There is no shiny pin, not even a dull one... :confused:

Unless of course one earned their points through reciprocity...

That what lanyards are for along with your CC cap to stick your pin(s) on.

:D

Also forgot:

you shall be both ...

a) disappointed there was not such an obvious recognition of ones vip status

and

b) disappointed there was such an obvious entrance with red carpet for vip's to board the ship

:D

You also now want to start posting that the program needs to be changed to require more cruises, so that the riff raff don't get into The Club. :D

And to do away with reciprocity... :rolleyes: so the riff raff from that 'OTHER BRAND' :eek: dont get in!

You also now want to start posting that the program needs to be changed to require more cruises, so that the riff raff don't get into The Club. :D

I thought one item (#9) along those lines was probably enough, though given a certain other thread, I could have easily had all 10 items about stepping on the poor, errr, I mean, definitively proving that The Club was now perfectly at capacity. :)

That ship has sailed... ;)

And to do away with reciprocity... :rolleyes: so the riff raff from that 'OTHER BRAND' :eek: dont get in!

Both of those ships have sailed...

You missed the obvious

11) I can now post on Cruise Critic with authority, starting each post with "as an Elite....." or "Being Elite....." Suddenly my opinions and responses will be revered by the common folks who read these threads :)

12) Celebrity will finally read your comment card, instead of throwing it in the bin immediately after you disembark. Only Elites are qualified to leave feedback, and negative feedback will be responded to promptly with free cruise certificates.

You missed the obvious

11) I can now post on Cruise Critic with authority, starting each post with "as an Elite....." or "Being Elite....." Suddenly my opinions and responses will be revered by the common folks who read these threads :)

oH MY:eek: The power:D

12) Celebrity will finally read your comment card, instead of throwing it in the bin immediately after you disembark. Only Elites are qualified to leave feedback, and negative feedback will be responded to promptly with free cruise certificates.

That's funny, I was going to actually include something like that in #8, as in

... cost much more than individualized marketing efforts. Like actually bothering to read or respond to anything on your cruise comment card.

And remember NEVER admit that you love the free drinks - if you get the vouchers you MUST complain because all Elites know that they love the cocktail party ONLY for the wonderful company of others so well traveled. Of course I'm not Elite so we can't speak - or make eye contact - that would be a social breach of epic proportions. :eek:

Archived