Carrying cash around while cruising.

Seas_Please

The bank I spoke of is a small local bank. Not one of the huge nationals, which I've found are typically quite inflexible. Local banks typically depend on their service to bring in and retain customers, so they are easier to work with.

Think this approval will be hit and miss whether a big bank, small bank or credit union. I bank with a regional credit union and have been with them for over 25 years with a perfect record. They would not bend their rules but, did come up with a solution to the problem that worked for us.

Both my DW and I have ATM cards, we opened painlessly a second checking account as a sub-account. This way they were able to provide us 2 more ATM cards for the sub-account. This way we took 4 cards on our last trip and had one or more been kept by the machine or perhaps lost the ability to work we would be able to transfer money via the internet to the sub-account and use the second set of ATM cards to withdraw money.

We will keep these extra cards and account for future use if necessary.

>>sub account< I think I'll go talk to my banker today to set up something like this - I'm always nervous about losing my ATM card as I travel.

Thanks!

Peggy

It may be a good idea but might be a little "over the top", IMO.

Between the two of us we always have 2 separate (different) ATM cards and and just cannot foresee needing cards number 3 & 4. On a very rare occasion we have had to use the 2nd card but never beyond that.

YMMV

PS I hope there never is a "first" when we wish we had cards number 3 & 4 :)

Edited by Paulchili

We just carry the sub debit cards with us so as to have limited exposure to loss. We do not even bring our primary bank cards. Apparently if you need to add more money to your sub cards, you can transfer it online.

This makes us feel very comfortable about carrying around a bank card.

I travel to Europe frequently for work. I am single and have only one ATM card. I have never had an issue using it in any country. In fact, I was in Kenya a year ago and no issues there either. Granted, I generally only take about $200 euros or francs or whatever out at a time, but I've never had a problem.

When traveling abroad I try to use a credit card as often as possible to avoid carrying a lot of cash. I carry an Amex and a Visa and again, no issues.

I do like the suggestion about setting up a separate checking account for travel that has a lower balance in case of theft or hacking--I just may do this. But for the routine shopping, touring, dining--you shouldn't have any issues.

I travel to Europe frequently for work. I am single and have only one ATM card. I have never had an issue using it in any country. In fact, I was in Kenya a year ago and no issues there either. Granted, I generally only take about $200 euros or francs or whatever out at a time, but I've never had a problem.

When traveling abroad I try to use a credit card as often as possible to avoid carrying a lot of cash. I carry an Amex and a Visa and again, no issues.

I do like the suggestion about setting up a separate checking account for travel that has a lower balance in case of theft or hacking--I just may do this. But for the routine shopping, touring, dining--you shouldn't have any issues.

I tend to take private tours on cruises. They generally want to be paid in their local money, not credit cards or US dollars. On our upcoming trip I'll need at least $1000 euro. This is the biggest need for cash, most of our shopping and eating goes on a credit card while on vacation.

Paulchili,

My situation is different than yours: I am single with one ATM card so by getting the second one creates the back up I would not have under normal circumstances.

In your situation, I probably would not bother.

Peggy

I see - that makes sense.

I should not assume anything at any time ;)

I tend to take private tours on cruises. They generally want to be paid in their local money, not credit cards or US dollars. On our upcoming trip I'll need at least $1000 euro. This is the biggest need for cash, most of our shopping and eating goes on a credit card while on vacation.

We do the same and have private tours confirmed for our trip next month. We will be getting Euro from the ATMs once we are in Europe and we always keep some in our safe (leftovers from past trips) to get us started when we arrive.

I have a Capital One Business card that does NOT charge transaction fees for non-US Dollars, but my Capital One personal card DOES charge transaction fees for non-US Dollars.

Think you may want to check on your personal card again. The following was copied and pasted from Capital One and is a generic answer to all credit cards:

Will Capital One charge me a fee if I use my credit card overseas? Capital One does not charge a fee for using your credit card for foreign currency transactions. Foreign purchases will be converted at the foreign exchange rate in effect at the time of processing the charge.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned pre paid currency cards - you charge them up with money online or over the phone, and are available in many currencies. They are used just like a Visa/Mastercard, either at an ATM or a retailer, and the better ones have Amex style card replacement/emergency cash facilities.

Maybe you don't have them in the US, but here banks, travel agents, the post office, and bureaux de change all issue them.....

E.g. http://www.travelex.co.uk/uk/cash-passport.aspx

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-money/card

I'm surprised no one has mentioned pre paid currency cards - you charge them up with money online or over the phone' date=' and are available in many currencies. They are used just like a Visa/Mastercard, either at an ATM or a retailer, and the better ones have Amex style card replacement/emergency cash facilities.

Maybe you don't have them in the US, but here banks, travel agents, the post office, and bureaux de change all issue them.....

E.g. http://www.travelex.co.uk/uk/cash-passport.aspx

http://www.postoffice.co.uk/travel-money/card[/quote']

Have no idea what this would gain anyone yet I do see downsides. Don't believe these are available in the US. We do have gift cards which sound like the same thing although can't buy in foreign currency. Never seen or heard of one. You would have to pay cash for them tying up the money until you spend all of the value of the card.

You would have to use them only at places that take credit cards so not useful where you have to pay in cash which is why we get foreign currency. If I am going to spend at a place that takes credit cards, would want to get my rewards for the use as well as using other peoples money until I have to pay the bill. As I said, no upside and several downsides.

As to using the post office, They lose billions of dollars annually so have no confidence that the money would be available when I would want to spend it.

• 3 years later...

We use ATM's, but only during banking hours at banks. Have done so in Rome, Venice, London, Grand Cayman, and St. Thomas. We took all the XPF we would need to French Polynesia, ordered from BofA before we left, as we knew we would have limited to no access to an ATM at a bank during banking hours.

We use ATM's, but only during banking hours at banks. Have done so in Rome, Venice, London, Grand Cayman, and St. Thomas. We took all the XPF we would need to French Polynesia, ordered from BofA before we left, as we knew we would have limited to no access to an ATM at a bank during banking hours.

Always use the ATM's. Don't remember needing any XPF In FP. All credit cards or U.S. Dollars

Always use the ATM's. Don't remember needing any XPF In FP. All credit cards or U.S. Dollars

at the very most maybe 50 to 75 xpf...the rest of the time its all credit cards which are safe and secure plus earn you points/miles

I never ever book a tour that wont take a credit card as there are a lot of flakes out there and if they cant get get a credit card account from the bank I dont want to trust them either.

We have never encountered better priced tours for cash or dollars. The cabs PPT all like dollars $28-30 plane to ship.

If for some reason you have to have XPF us an atm and get bankers rate.

I am going to Tahiti in Jan for the 6th time and not bringing even 1 xpf.....Tahiti is geared for CC even in the outer islands... and as said before if some "shakey jake" wants cash...he is not going to get my business...

The ATM's we saw were all free standing in hotels, at the airport, etc. We aren't comfortable using those. We always bring enough cash in local currency for the first 4-7 days wherever we are traveling to--obviously purely domestic travel to urbanized areas is a different story.

I like to prepay for as much as I can, and we generally pay cash for everything except hotels (often booked using points earned during work related travel) and an occasional major purchase when outside the US. RDD's I prefer to do on a card, but non-agency landlords often want them in cash and refund as you leave.

If I end up with a lot of extra local currency, I apply it to my hotel folio as I check out. (I did this at the Sofitel at LHR--we had an unexpected windfall of £1500 fall into our hands in London so I avoided a second trip to the Barclays ATM and paid cash for the hotel room and La Belle Époque dinner.)

Whatever is left I either put in the safe for the next time (pounds, Euros, Canadian) donate it in the little envelopes on the plane, or cash out.

We are planning on two weeks again next year, and I am already looking at prepaying as much as possible, particularly given the exchange rate with the Euro right now.

We had a problem using an ATM in Copenhagen a few years ago. Something was wrong with the communication with the US. None of the ATMs worked on a Sunday until the next day when the problem was fixed. Talked to others who had the same problem. Both visa and master card had the problem. So always a value in having some cash.

Be aware that skimmers are even more of a problem in other countries, especially Central America. Many ATMs in Antigua Guatemala, for example, are compromised. Locals know which are safe, as does a good guide. In smaller places, especially on the weekend, the ATM may run out of cash. As someone else mentioned, the machine can eat your card. Best solution then is to immediately cancel the card-assuming you have all the contact info written down with you.

In Russia, the guide would not take credit cards, just cash, but we knew that in advance. Even the American Express office in St. Petersburg wouldn't take our friend's Amex travelers checks-but the ship did, with a charge of course. In Guatemala, some small businesses may take credit cards but add a 7% surcharge. They say use of credit cards is very expensive for them and it probably is true.

Finally, we once tried to use a currency exchange at the airport in Florence, Italy. Found out after we had been quoted the exchange rate and handed over our dollars, that there was a surcharge of $40 that they hadn't mentioned over and above the exchange rate posted. The scam is that they only tell you about the surcharge after they have your US cash in their hands. Once you find out the true cost, they refuse to give you your US cash back if you don't like the deal. One man was screaming at the clerk but it did no good.

Mary

at the very most maybe 50 to 75 xpf...the rest of the time its all credit cards which are safe and secure plus earn you points/miles

I never ever book a tour that wont take a credit card as there are a lot of flakes out there and if they cant get get a credit card account from the bank I dont want to trust them either.

We have never encountered better priced tours for cash or dollars. The cabs PPT all like dollars $28-30 plane to ship.

If for some reason you have to have XPF us an atm and get bankers rate.

I am going to Tahiti in Jan for the 6th time and not bringing even 1 xpf.....Tahiti is geared for CC even in the outer islands... and as said before if some "shakey jake" wants cash...he is not going to get my business...

I find you 100% correct. Do not need very much or any local dollars.

<snip>

In Russia, the guide would not take credit cards, just cash, but we knew that in advance. Even the American Express office in St. Petersburg wouldn't take our friend's Amex travelers checks-but the ship did, with a charge of course. <snip>

Mary

First, Oceania does not charge any fee for cashing traveler's checks, if they are in US dollars. I have done it several times. There is a limit of $500 per day, I believe. The last time was in fall 2015.

If you need an ATM in St. Petersburg, there is one in the lobby of the Hermitage Museum. Gives local currency, of course.

Frances

Check with your local bank - you should be able to order foreign currency through them. Order in advance - it may take a few days.

I've ordered foreign currency through my little branch bank here in New Hampshire. You shouldn't have any problems.

It's good to have some foreign cash before you leave, for taxis, tips, odds and ends.

We've done both the ATM and pre-purchase at our bank. We purchase several hundred euros at the bank at home for about $5.00 fee for up to about 1000 euros. This actually works best for us. And whatever is left over, we have for our next trip to EU countries.

note to self: remember to purchase before trip in April.

Just wondering if you checked the exchange rate in addition to the fee? My experience has been getting currency in advance from the bank/credit union has been 4% + over the ATM plus the fee I have not often seen overseas.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app