Help identifying a HAL ship pic?

diann744

I want to take a moment to post a public “Thank You!” to IRL Joanie for her undercover work on my recent mission to identify a print spotted on a HAL ship many years ago.

My Evil Twin fell in love with it and I hoped to unearth some information that might lead me to being able to obtain a copy for her birthday. I wasn’t able to post openly on CC because I knew Her Evilness would see it and Joanie was gracious enough to do what she could to help me track it down without blowing the secret.

However, it’s been a tough nut to crack and having exhausted everything other than throwing the question out to the full CC board, I finally broke down and told Sis the story while on the wonderful Maasdam cruise they threw us off of yesterday.

I’ll post a photo of the elusive artwork on a separate thread in hopes that someone out there knows something about it. It may be too late for the birthday but Christmas is coming!

Joanie, thank you again for being so kind.

Diann

I’m hoping someone out there in CC land can help me with this. My Sis fell in love with this whimsical picture we saw on a HAL ship several years ago and I’m hoping to track something down that might lead to being able to obtain a copy for her.

I have exhausted my Google-Fu to no avail. (Function: noun; Etymology: google.com (search website) gOngfu skill, art -- Google-Fu -- The ability to use Google with zen like prowess)

I avoided posting openly on CC in hopes of keeping the search a secret from the Twin. I’ve posted similar pleas on all other cruise message boards, but they don’t seem to get the traffic that CC does (Or, as I suspect, they’re just not as worldly and knowledgeable as CCers).

I called Seattle but Ships’ Services couldn’t help. IRL Joanie went above and beyond playing Watson to my Holmes but to no avail.

At this point, secrecy no longer matters.

So now, I throw it out to you.

Does anyone know anything at all that might help me get my hands on this thing?

Many, many thanks!

Diann

Origamiboat.jpg

It looks like the kind of whimsical art that is often hung on the landings of the aft staircases. It seems to me that if you can recall the name of the ship you were on you would be halfway to a solution, because there is often a series of paintings by the same artist. For example, Escher drawings decorate the aft stairwell on the Zaandam.

I’m hoping someone out there in CC land can help me with this. My Sis fell in love with this whimsical picture we saw on a HAL ship several years ago and I’m hoping to track something down that might lead to being able to obtain a copy for her.

I have exhausted my Google-Fu to no avail. (Function: noun; Etymology: google.com (search website) gOngfu skill, art -- Google-Fu -- The ability to use Google with zen like prowess)

I avoided posting openly on CC in hopes of keeping the search a secret from the Twin. I’ve posted similar pleas on all other cruise message boards, but they don’t seem to get the traffic that CC does (Or, as I suspect, they’re just not as worldly and knowledgeable as CCers).

I called Seattle but Ships’ Services couldn’t help. IRL Joanie went above and beyond playing Watson to my Holmes but to no avail.

Many, many thanks!

Diann

Origamiboat.jpg

Diann, you probably have done it but in case you have not, have you tried the art tour that is available to download for your ship. They might very well focus on this painting and give you a name. They are all available on the HAL website to download. I always put them on my ipod and do the tour on board:D

I haven't seen this person post much any more -- but maybe you can contact him.

Ship Café -- in his profile you can see his web page address. Go to "Member List" -- go to the "S" -- he is listed on page 29.

He's a great guy and still very much around.

He does some wonderful photography on the ships...... not just HAL.

Many, many thanks!

Diann

Origamiboat.jpg

It was NOT above and Beyond Dianne, that would have been flying to Topsham and personally showing the emails to Captain Card:D

I wanted to say a HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY (albeit a belated one) to the Evil Twin aka Christy744:)

Topsham, Capt. Card, this is why I'd created the thread asking for your help a month or so ago.

Dianne, I sure hope that we can find out quickly now that this is in the open!!

Joanie

Which ship?

I asked in the other thread you started about the picture......

It might help if you tell us on which ship you saw the picture.

Sail, Dianne and possibly her sister, Christy744, cannot remember which ship in the fleet. It was many years ago.

It looks to be an OLD Italian Style painting that someone (modern style) painted in a Paper Boat?

Dianne, once again, I did nothing special, just did what I always try to do and help:)

HAPPY Belated BIRTHDAY Evil Twin aka Christy744!!

Joanie

It was NOT above and Beyond Dianne, that would have been flying to Topsham and personally showing the emails to Captain Card:D

I wanted to say a HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY (albeit a belated one) to the Evil Twin aka Christy744:)

Topsham, Capt. Card, this is why I'd created the thread asking for your help a month or so ago.

Dianne, I sure hope that we can find out quickly now that this is in the open!!

Joanie

Joanie,

You may have missed the lengthy thread here on this forum wishing Stephen well as recovers from a recent illness.

He may be involved in his recovery and not too busy with e-mails and CC etc.

(Last we heard from him, he is doing great.... thankfully. :))

Joanie,

You may have missed the lengthy thread here on this forum wishing Stephen well as recovers from a recent illness.

He may be involved in his recovery and not too busy with e-mails and CC etc.

I know Sail, I was one of the first to wish him well and a speedy recovery when the thread came out telling us about it.

The posting to him asking for help was a few weeks before his stroke. I think he may not have seen the thread or he was to busy with other things to see it before it got off the front page and buried:)

I just posted the info on the painting that Dianne is asking about iin the other thread.

Joanie

It certainly looks like it is depicting Venice.

Which ships have the 'evil twins' sailed?

That would narrow down which ones to consider.

Seeing she doesn't remember on which ship she saw it, if we know which ones they've been on we won't need to consider ships they haven't sailed.

Just went through Holland America Art Of Cruising Coffee Table book and did not see a picture that resembles the one posted.

In looking at the book there was an introduction from the director of the Rotterdam Maritime Museum. They may have a curator that could identify the painting.

Good luck.

Just went through Holland America Art Of Cruising Coffee Table book and did not see a picture that resembles the one posted.

In looking at the book there was an introduction from the director of the Rotterdam Maritime Museum. They may have a curator that could identify the painting.

Good luck.

LOL, that was the first place I went to look Chief. So I did a Google Search for Paintings of Venice and such and came close but not close enough. Search result I looked at closely was : https://www.google.com/search?q=Venetian+Paintings&client=firefox-a&hs=h9G&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=7hw3UurDG4iwjAKx24DoDg&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1680&bih=879&dpr=1 there are a few that closely resemble but... That is when after like 3 days of checking all over the web that I turned to Capt Card for help, thinking he'd know where to point us.

Joanie

Having that date, then they could look in the HAL Mariner Status to find out the ship.

Good job, John. :cool:

Excellent point.

They can read the list of ships they have sailed and the dates at their Mariners Status records on HAL site.

Archived