Live from Eurodam, Canada/New England, Sept. 22

sppunk

Bonjour from Quebec!

This won't be near the caliber of "live" threads others post, but nevertheless here goes nothing.

We are lounging in Quebec City's terminal enjoying the (blazingly fast) free wifi. Check-in around 12:30 p.m. went as smooth as any, no lines and many individuals stationed to guide anyone anywhere they need to go.

Our flight in last night was I think all HAL cruisers, kidding by context clues (i heard most mention it). Funny story, when boarding begsn the agent identified himself as Mohammad - much to the chagrin if one passenger. "UH OH!," he exclaimed rather abruptly. Got a good laugh out of that one. "Uh oh" is our new catchphrase for funny moments, I believe.

Once inboard we threw our (read: the wife's) purses in the room and made a bee-line for Explorers Lounge to get our dining assignment changed. HAL never fails to put us in early seating, table of 8, despite every cruise we request late seating, table for 2. And as always, we switched without issues.

It's sputtering rain here - a good reason to stop for beers at many (read: lost count) cafes. We walked up the hill twice - once on accident that requires a story longer than the War and Peace. The old city is still old, still walled and still France without the Parisians.

Eurodam is in pristine shape. Day-of-the-week mats were spotted in elevators, so no panics yet. We'll discover later if the chocolate fairy has switched types (the horror!). Haven't been asked yet if we are traveling with our parents, but I'm sure it is coming (we are 30, haven't seen anyone near our age and that is more than OK with us!).

More at some point in the future from the blue-hulled Eurodam..

Observed comment of the day

Older lady, speaking loudly to slightly older man: "I wonder if all these dogs are bilingual like their minders."

Look for great internet in Saguenay as well. I remember being out a ways into the water and it still working. I love that area too. I'll be looking forward to reading your thread since I'll be up soon. Leave the ship in one piece ok:D;)? I think you'll find the ship much better then the Veendam. I hope the weather will be ok. Looking forward to reading more. Have a great time!

Looking forward to your report! We were the only couple below 40 (25 and 24)on our S/B Eurodam trip in 2009, but we had a wonderful time! We were mistaken for crew numerous times which was hilarious. Anyways, we loved the Eurodam and the East Coast is just amazing! We had such a great time we did the trip again a couple years later.

Uh-oh! Our chocolate has changed ... gold squares with no marking whatsoever. Whatever will I do to survive this tragedy? Another Weng-Weng you say? OK!

We are in the terminal hanging out with crew members after dinner. Which is always a blast, unless you are, well, a crew member.

It's around 48 and we were walking (in short-sleeves) and a nice lady told us we should bundle up. Maybe she'll adopt us? ;)

I'll try to post photos but we use a Nikon D700 and don't carry computers - I'll try to snap some iPhone shots if anyone has requests but no promises!

Dinner was sssssllllllllloooooowwwww but good. Took 1:45 somehow, hope it gets a little shorter. Tamarind is tomorrow, hope it though takes longer!

OK, the French lady is signing, time to get moving. Au revior from chilly, hilly Quebec City.

Salut!

Another fitting overcast, chilly morning in the city unsure of its predominate language.

The lido so far has been calm, with short lines and ample seating. I'm not sure what is causing this, but I'll gladly accept it.

Some have asked for photos, so here is the lovely Eurodam nested nicely in Quebec's port.

20f4vao.jpg

Behind us is Oceania Regatta. Contrary to Cruise Critic posts I have not seen any HAL passengers literally jumping ship. We still have a few hours though, eyes will be peeled!

Heads up for future cruisers on this route. All-aboard time is 2:30 p.m, muster at 3 p.m. Plan accordingly.

This morning we walked around the upper town (taking the funicular this time, my feet thank me). Peaked into Chateau Frontenac, doing so short enough without being charged (a rarity in the fine air there). Stopped in at the neighborhood Starbucks only to find out they don't sell chai latte. I know this place is French, but I didn't realize they were communists too. Go figure.

Speaking again of French, last night at 4 a.m. We were awoken to a very loud banging/dropping noise. I thought at first the French navy was attacking our Dutch ship but then thought better and realized that can't be right (they'd be unsuccessful). No idea what it was.

Spotted this sign wandering around today, makes me want to come back in February and do a little sight seeing. I always what to know what caused this to go up.

2hfncjr.jpg

Thats about all. Oh! I am always profoundly confused by these signs. Are we in an emergency supposed to find a family of only one child and run toward them?

5p4o4k.jpg

Tomorrow is a day cruising the St. Lawrence and Wednesday we are in Charlottetown. I've been told I'm driving to Anne of Green Gables. I'm not sure what that is, but was then told we have a few movies to watch today and tomorrow. I just wanted mussels and to see some beaches ...

Older lady to her obvious-delirious husband: "I don't know why they won't give me only American change - I am giving them only American money!"

<snip>

Older lady to her obvious-delirious husband: "I don't know why they won't give me only American change - I am giving them only American money!"

Love it..... LOL.....

Be careful of the falling ice.

I heard just outside of Quebec City had snow last night. :eek:

Have fun and be sure to have mussels in Charlottetown. PEI has THE best mussels anywhere. :)

One of my former colleagues couldn't understand why we was getting USD out of a cash machine in the USA:D. Some people scare me. I'm enjoying your posts. I found it funny that you took the funicular. Even an old lady like me (52) with a bum knee made it up the hill:p;). It's going to be interesting to see if I can do it this time since I'm still not back to normal from surgery this summer. Keep up the good work.

Can't wait to hear about tamarind!! We sail on the Eurodam in November and already made our reservation!

Tamarind on Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam is surely one of the best alternative restaraurants at sea. Many of us here think it really very good in all respects.

Tamarind on Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam is surely one of the best alternative restaraurants at sea. Many of us here think it really very good in all respects.

I intend to eat there at least 5-6 times on on my 15 day cruise in October. I'm addicted to the place.

I intend to eat there at least 5-6 times on on my 15 day cruise in October. I'm addicted to the place.

Each to their own, of course, but as much as we enjoy Tamarind, that would be too much for me.

Just my own preference but twice in ten days is about the right pace for me.......

But we also enjoy Pinnacle and are happy to mix in some evenings there. :)

Enjoy. Hope you have a wonderful time.

Each to their own, of course, but as much as we enjoy Tamarind, that would be too much for me.

Just my own preference but twice in ten days is about the right pace for me.......

But we also enjoy Pinnacle and are happy to mix in some evenings there. :)

Enjoy. Hope you have a wonderful time.

I do love Asian food. There is no way I'd be able to do the Pinnacle that much. I only have 2 reservations so hopefully I'll be able to get in that much. I intend to reserve once I get on the ship because I'm supposed to have quite a bit of OBC. Still waiting for my TA to provide proof of that:rolleyes:. When I was on the NA I bet I ate there that much if not more. The service is the MDR was dismal and some of the food not much better than that.

Archived