Live from Eurodam, Canada/New England, Sept. 22

sppunk

Good morning from somewhere outside Newark, N.J.

Last night was somber as it sat end our vacation was ending. But we took advantage of all we could before they kicked us off.

Following dinner we attended the Dancing With The Stars At Sea finale. Would you believe a fruit farmer from Utah won with a perfect score? He performed the Samba, shaking hips I thought were only included in the female version of upright mammals. Legitimately fruit farmer could get down. I hope he goes on to compete on the finale in early January.

Following that we enjoyed the B.B. King Blues Club one last time. This was only the second week they played together - a band of 8 or 9. They are the best musical group I've ever seen on a ship. I hope they move them to the main stage more because the Culinary Center/Queens Lounge doesn't do them justice. On Eurodam? GO SEE THESE PEOPLE.

We met up with our new Dutch friends and - I guess this is the Dutch connection - proceeded to hang out with the cruise director and show manager for a few hours into the wee hours of the night. But not before we went to say goodbye to Diane Fast and give Maria (the most awesome bar steward ever) a hug goodbye.

6:15 a.m. came way too early but you gotta do what you gotta do. We walked off at 7:40 a.m. and performed the fun "How many people will take gypsy rides from the cabstand" game. We counted 7 couples - good luck to 'em. Cabs were few and far between given it was a weekday morning. We waited an hour and were 5th in line. Moral of the story? Patience and street smarts are helpful when disembarking in Manhattan.

The wait gave us time to stare lovingly into Eurodam's eyes as she rise above the western Manhattan infrastructure - taunting us that we can't still be on her.

image.jpg

We then proceeded to the waiting hall in Penn Station. If you're never been to the waiting hall at Penn Station, imagine a Carnival lido after embarkation on a three day booze cruise. They are cousins.

And that takes us up to now, writing from the Quiet Car on the Amtrak Keystone train.

This trip was a good one with very few and minor hiccups. Sure HAL should stay in Boston longer, skip Sydney if they aren't going to stay 12-14 hours and have more waiters so you don't wait 20 minutes between courses. But those pale in comparison to the staff of the Eurodam and the hospitality they provide.

I can only hope our 2014 trip to Norway is as good.

Well, it is time for this "live" thread to end. Thank you all for reading, I hope it was useful or if not at least somewhat fun to read. I've never done one before but had a great time doing it, hope that translated through the posts.

Thanks again. So long from the Amtrakdam.

Observed comment of the day

Man (who of course was blocking the corridor on Deck 2) when being told the cab stand was a city block away: What do you mean it's that far? We couldn't dock closer to cabs?!"

We then proceeded to the waiting hall in Penn Station. If you're never been to the waiting hall at Penn Station, imagine a Carnival lido after embarkation on a three day booze cruise. They are cousins.

AMEN!

Thanks for a fun and informative trip report.

Thanks again for sharing your cruise with all of us. You have us pumped and eager to board the MS Eurodam Oct. 12.

Go Red Sox!:D

I agree with Aliaschief. You have really pumped us up for the Oct 12th sailing.

But being from the SF Bay Area, I must say "Go A's"

We're home. Why is there no lido here? I'm starving.

Thanks for the kind words. I kept all the On Locations in case anyone is interested.

No disembarkation talk thankfully and we received our email survey within an hour of our card being swiped for the final time.

Loved your review, and I cannot believe you are a novice. It was great fun, informative and well-written! Sorry about the lack of service at home, that always gets on my nerves too immediately after a cruise. I mean, I don't even have my landlegs back and am forced to do chores, and then, gasp,,,go to work.

Being a Southerner, I gotta do a shout out to the Braves!

Thanks for your great review. I hope you saved one of those little chocolates to put on your pillow tonight.

Helen

I did. :)

But they pale in comparison to the old style, the new ones aren't very good IMO.

Archived