Excursions...lots of cancellations...anyone else getting emails?

bradsnana

It used to be that the cruise lines never released excursions until about six weeks before the cruise. That way they could adjust prices and nobody complained . Now they are releasing excursions so far in advance they really do have little control over price changes in their contracts. I understand that they were probably losing out in the past to people booking private excursions since they were not yet available through the cruise lines & people wanted to get their plans finalized. So now they have themselves in a corner. They want the early bookings, but yet they still want a higher price. If they release excursions early and then prices change then they should honor the old prices for people who chose to book when the excursions first became available.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

It used to be that the cruise lines never released excursions until about six weeks before the cruise. That way they could adjust prices and nobody complained . Now they are releasing excursions so far in advance they really do have little control over price changes in their contracts. I understand that they were probably losing out in the past to people booking private excursions since they were not yet available through the cruise lines & people wanted to get their plans finalized. So now they have themselves in a corner. They want the early bookings, but yet they still want a higher price. If they release excursions early and then prices change then they should honor the old prices for people who chose to book when the excursions first became available.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Our Southern Carib cruise cancelled St. Lucia and added Labadee. Wonder if this is related to excursions being cancelled. Our roll call is very disappointed in the change.It is Legend Dec 13.

Since so many posters think RCI is the evil empire, RCI should just cut their losses and let you all find your own excursions. After all, making a profit on anything is evil. The ONLY reason excursions are canceled is to make your life miserable; we can't have happy passengers.

Hey you, ya you. Have I got an excursion for you, only $19.95. My taxi, bus, ship is not licensed but what the hell, at least you aren't dealing with those greedy bastards on the ship.

Enjoy your excursions!

Edited by steveru621

Since so many posters think RCI is the evil empire, RCI should just cut their losses and let you all find your own excursions. After all, making a profit on anything is evil. The ONLY reason excursions are canceled is to make your life miserable; we can't have happy passengers.

Hey you, ya you. Have I got an excursion for you, only $19.95. My taxi, bus, ship is not licensed but what the hell, at least you aren't dealing with those greedy bastards on the ship.

Enjoy your excursions!

It would be nice to be notified and quickly reimbursed when they cancel an excursion that I booked, that does make me a bit miserable! A small apology and perhaps another excursion suggestion would have been more appropriate along with my quick reimbursement

It would be nice to be notified and quickly reimbursed when they cancel an excursion that I booked' date=' that does make me a bit miserable! A small apology and perhaps another excursion suggestion would have been more appropriate along with my quick reimbursement[/quote']

I agree 100% and there is no defense for them not notifying you. But to assume they canceled an excursion for some sinister reason is also probably not true. It may be they thought a substitute could be had before you boarded, still they should have notified you.

I am not defending the notification mess-ups, but I have found some RCI emails in my spam can. It's a strong possibility you never got it, and your email vendor doesn't notify the sender if they thought it was spam.

Enjoy your excursions!

LIKE. :D

Yes, there are some on here who consider everything that RC does to be greedy, miserable, a conspiracy, deliberately designed just to upset them etc, so that I don't know how they can possibly bring themselves to take a RC cruise. If I thought that a company was treating me so bad, I would go elsewhere. Luckily they are in the minority, or the ships would be empty.

Happy cruising.

Just remember.

If you do book your own excursion, and they do not get you back in time.

The ship will not wait for you. ( and it is up to you to get to the ship again at the next port )

If you do book through RCI, they either wait for you, ( at a cost they have to pay to the port )

or will pay for your hotel, and get you to the next port, on their dime.

:rolleyes:

Edited by Bigtex1622

In Jan we booked with a tour in Antigua. Didn't realize that it was also a ship's tour till after we booked. We were first on the small van, first on the kayaks, they asked our names as we got on and off and made sure we were first in line...and we paid, I believe, at least $10 less per person than what the ship charged, it may have been more. Since I never book ship's excursions I really didn't pay attention until I saw folks with RCI towels on our way back.

Enjoy your excursions!

As with many things in life, people react much better if they are just given reasonable, and honest, explanations. In this case people received no explanation, which might actually be preferable to some trumped up lie, and in many cases it appears they recieved no notification either. That just doesn't make good customer relations.

Well refund is back but still no notice from RCCL on cancelled excursion in Jamaica. I would think the right thing to do would be to notify its clients that this was going to happen. Not very good PR and no way to run a company. I would think the person responsible should have an unpaid leave of absence or better yet do deck work but not undercover. But then again the buck stops at the top and the CEO should take responsibility with the unethical way this was handled. Just think of the clients that aren't members of CC. They're in for a big shock when they board their ship and find no excursion for them. Wouldn't want to work at the shore excursion desk that day. Better idea put officers there that day.

Evie

Well refund is back but still no notice from RCCL on cancelled excursion in Jamaica. I would think the right thing to do would be to notify its clients that this was going to happen. Not very good PR and no way to run a company. I would think the person responsible should have an unpaid leave of absence or better yet do deck work but not undercover. But then again the buck stops at the top and the CEO should take responsibility with the unethical way this was handled. Just think of the clients that aren't members of CC. They're in for a big shock when they board their ship and find no excursion for them. Wouldn't want to work at the shore excursion desk that day. Better idea put officers there that day.

Evie

So true!, if I wasn't on this forum I would never have checked or known about my cancellation

It looks like RCCL added a few excursions to replace the ones cut in grand cayman. But they are pretty much different versions of ones already there. Nothing to get excited about.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have had 3 excursions cancelled for our November cruises.

One reappeared with the lunch part removed and was 9 dollars cheaper, just rebooked without lunch so will steal a doggy bag from the windjammer

I was speaking to RCI customer relations on a different matter and brought this up, she would not comment why!

We had a tour cancelled in May as we sat in the theatre waiting on the bus reason given was lack of numbers (12) and little profit. some poor customer service at times but there seems an arrogance that they can do as they please.

Thanks to this thread, I too found out that my St. John Tour has been cancelled and removed from my reservation. No email notification. Called RCI and spoke with a "reservationist', who couldn't understand why I haven't received the email that she confirmed was sent and well, sent it again - still haven't received it.

This is apparently yet another problem with RCI's IT dept. I do remember that when I made my reservations for this particular excursion as well as booking and paying for 2 different specialty reservations, never received the confirmation emails so I went directly to the pre-cruise planner in my reservation and printed them out. So the bottom line is that if their "reservation desk" sends an email regarding the reservation, I get it, but if it comes internally from Royals pre-cruise planner dept (even when generated by the general reservation dept) I don't get it. It is not because of my internet provider or email account provider, as my sister and her email address are on the reservation as well and she hasn't received any of them either. CAN YOU FIX THIS PROBLEM, RCI??? I won't be holding my breath for the fix.

Thanks again to Cruise Critic for giving me the information about my reservation that the cruise line didn't!

I would think this has more to do with the the Embassy warning about security issues in that area. Could the tours that are now being offered have more security under the control of RCI than the ones being cancelled ?

Roly

Thanks to this thread, I too found out that my St. John Tour has been cancelled and removed from my reservation. No email notification. Called RCI and spoke with a "reservationist', who couldn't understand why I haven't received the email that she confirmed was sent and well, sent it again - still haven't received it.

This is apparently yet another problem with RCI's IT dept. I do remember that when I made my reservations for this particular excursion as well as booking and paying for 2 different specialty reservations, never received the confirmation emails so I went directly to the pre-cruise planner in my reservation and printed them out. So the bottom line is that if their "reservation desk" sends an email regarding the reservation, I get it, but if it comes internally from Royals pre-cruise planner dept (even when generated by the general reservation dept) I don't get it. It is not because of my internet provider or email account provider, as my sister and her email address are on the reservation as well and she hasn't received any of them either. CAN YOU FIX THIS PROBLEM, RCI??? I won't be holding my breath for the fix.

Thanks again to Cruise Critic for giving me the information about my reservation that the cruise line didn't!

Check your SPAM filter. You may have RCI as a trusted contact, but these emails come from a different address.