Just when you though it was safe.....

MR NW GUY

To stop being concerned about Hurricanes! And now this late arrival...

****CNN NEWS ALERT******

A hurricane watch is in effect for parts of the U.S. Gulf Coast after Tropical Storm Karen formed in the southeastern part of the Gulf of Mexico, the National Hurricane Center said.

A hurricane watch covers the area from Grand Isle, Louisiana, east to Indian Pass, Florida. A tropical storm watch is in effect from west of Grand Isle to Morgan City, Louisiana, an area that includes metropolitan New Orleans.

Karen is producing winds of 60 mph and is moving north-northwest up the Mexican coast, the hurricane center said. It has a high chance -- "near 100 percent" -- of becoming a hurricane or cyclone in the next two days, it said.

We've been so lucky thus far this hurricane season. Certainly hope everyone remains safe. So many other problems in U.S. right now, the last thing anyone needs is a natural diseaster.

October safe? Last year I started Halloween off in a hotel in NYC with no power awaiting a ship scheduled to pick me up at a closed port. I ended up waiting 20 minutes on the street trying to flag a taxi to take me to a closed airport which still had rental cars, so I could get back home. I'm hoping for a much calmer October this year so LAFFNVEGAS can get off my ship and I can get on.

Roy

October is safe??? I join everyone else who are incredulous with this statement. October is prime hurricane season here and in the Atlantic. It actually extends into November.

I do hope everyone stays safe of course, but we shouldn't be surprised with the hurricane news (unfortunately).

No, October isn't "safe". Most of us know that. :rolleyes:

Neither is November, and a few years ago there was what would have been a hurricane, except it was December, so that didn't count.

Just because we've had a quiet season so far, doesn't in any way mean we're out of the woods. My new community lost 60 trees last year in Sandy. I'm hoping we continue to have a quiet season. My insurance company already isn't happy with me since I was hit badly by two hurricanes in the last 5 years. Lots of downed trees and flooding.

October is a very active month for hurricanes.

peakofseason.gif

10_1_10_nhc_sm.png

Thanks for posting this!

All of us who live in hurricane country realize October is a time when we quite often have our worst hurricanes & tropical storms ... but some folks don't so thanks for this.

LuLu

~~~~

Living in Florida we never breathe a sigh of relief until the end of Nov..Aug to Oct. are the most worrysome months for us..We live on one of the farthest points close to the river & during one Hurricane several years ago we lost our power for 8 days..

Two of the 10 Most costly Hurricanes was Wilma in Oct 2005 & Sandy in Oct. 2012..

We had Hurricane Windows with an impact rating of 130 mph, installed in both our House & now our Condo..We always hope & pray that the winds will never go over that.. SIZE]

Betty

October is a very active month for hurricanes.

peakofseason.gif

10_1_10_nhc_sm.png

Hey arewethereyet.... Thanks for the visual graph that shows the peak of the storm season is Sept 10 and by the time Oct arrives, the graph shows a far less number of storms.

I better choose my words more carefully here...

Sorry for any misunderstanding by my apparently miss leading topic headline.

Cheers!

October safe??? Try telling that to anyone here on the east coast of the US or Canada. We have another month to go before we can start to relax.

I won't even try to speak to this because I live on the west coast, but I see enough on the news to know and remember - it ain't safe yet!:eek:

Archived