Breakfast Specials

Pettifogger

About six months ago, I sailed on a relatively long segment of a Grand Voyage and was very pleasantly surprised to find that the breakfast specials we enjoyed some years ago had been restored. For a 'breakfast person' like me, that effectively added an hour or more of delight to the beginning of the cruise day.

At that time, I was told informally that the breakfast specials would be for 'long voyages', so when I booked my next cruise, which was a little more than two weeks in length, I didn't know what to expect. I returned a couple of days ago from that cruise and I'm pleased to report that there were breakfast specials, including my favorite, Dutch style apple pancakes.

Possibly this restoration is even more important to some passengers as a harbinger of other restorations as cruise prices recover.

This is interesting news. I fondly remember the breakfast specials, with the Dutch Apple Pancakes being a favorite of mine, too.

Having recently returned from the 12 Day Baltic Adventure and the 16 Day Viking Passage cruises aboard the good ship Eurodam, I do not recall seeing any such specials on the menu or on any placard (where I remember they were listed) sitting on the table. I do recall very good service in the morning, with the best being our last morning aboard in New York where both of the Assistant Dining Room Managers participated in our service. (Thank you "G" and Hance!)

About six months ago, I sailed on a relatively long segment of a Grand Voyage and was very pleasantly surprised to find that the breakfast specials we enjoyed some years ago had been restored. For a 'breakfast person' like me, that effectively added an hour or more of delight to the beginning of the cruise day.

At that time, I was told informally that the breakfast specials would be for 'long voyages', so when I booked my next cruise, which was a little more than two weeks in length, I didn't know what to expect. I returned a couple of days ago from that cruise and I'm pleased to report that there were breakfast specials, including my favorite, Dutch style apple pancakes.

Possibly this restoration is even more important to some passengers as a harbinger of other restorations as cruise prices recover.

Which ship was this little more than two weeks cruise that provided these breakfast specials?

Sounds good. :)

Happy you got to enjoy the treats.

We had the breakfast specials as well - about 17 days into our 31 day cruise.

Prinsendam as well - and they were very good:D Dh took more advantage than I did - but it was so nice so see the choices:D

Wondering if it is more of a P'dam thing? This was really nice - part of the reason we like the P'dam. Second time - gotta love it:)

In the dining room or the Pinnacle - we didn't see it in the Lido on our cruise

After being on Princess several times I find that HAL has a very extensive menu. I'm surprised they would have specials on top of that. We shall see if they have it on my Eurodam cruise (15 days). If they don't I think I'll survive:D;).

Both of the instances I referred to were on the Prinsendam.

I'm not surprised. The Prinsendam is so far ahead of the other HAL ships when it comes to food and presentation.

Hopefully, this is the start of improvements on all the ships. :)

Before the new extensive menu came out -- around 2010 -- that's when we encountered them and I got the menus and posted them here -- there were specials every day -- at least 3 of them. But on some ships they were not offered in the dining room (or Pinnacle) while other ships had them. It was a hit and miss thing.

Both of the instances I referred to were on the Prinsendam.

Thanks. :)

Happy you got to enjoy them and agree with the others it would be lovely if this leads to other ships offering breakfast specials again.

Which ship was this little more than two weeks cruise that provided these breakfast specials?

Sounds good. :)

Happy you got to enjoy the treats.

Sail7Seas. Did you know that you were quoted on today's Cruise Critic message? I imagine they had to ask your permission. Nice to know famous people.

Sail7Seas. Did you know that you were quoted on today's Cruise Critic message? I imagine they had to ask your permission. Nice to know famous people.

Huh? :confused:

I don't know about what you are speaking?

Where is 'Today's Cruise Critic Message'?

tasted more like a sloppy joe. And never saw creamed chip beef. Both are occasional bfst favorites buy must be home made and not from a package or can. I have rarely seen real corned beef on a HAL ship. Maybe if we sail over St. Patrick's day?

tasted more like a sloppy joe. And never saw creamed chip beef. Both are occasional bfst favorites buy must be home made and not from a package or can. I have rarely seen real corned beef on a HAL ship. Maybe if we sail over St. Patrick's day?

I agree, the corned beef hash is not good.

Archived