Labadee - no more upgraded buffet?

nbsjcruiser

I was on the 9/22 Allure of the Seas and had a cabana at Nellie Beach.

It was worth the $250 for the 4 of us. Probably cheaper than I would pay for an excursion and I feel that I got more value tha a tour of Jamaica or Cozumel.

Had the highest cabana on the hill with private access into the water.. Had the floats, water, nice chairs, lounges and the "upgraded" lunch that everyone is talking about: not to mention the privacy and shade

You dine in the private area reserved for the diamond plus group. They offered the steak, shrimp, chicken along with the dogs and burgers.. and steamed vegetables.

Me- I went with the burgers...

They had nice tables with deep wooden chairs to sit, relax and eat your lunch under some nice shade trees.....

Our caban attendant did get us several drinks from the bar during the day and yes you should be expected to tip them at days end for the service rendered..

Tipping is a private matter but I gave him $40 for the 4 of us..He did a great job .

Yes - I could have gone and got my own drinks but heck- I was on vacation....

At the end of the day , they had a cart drive us back to the security check point..Nice touch.

I would absolutely rent a cabana again..

In fact we felt that day was the best stop on the entire cruise..and we really didn't get a chance to experience all that was offered on the island.

Ken

You need to read this thread from the start. This is not a discussion about was it worth it with all the amenities. This discussion has to do with the "new" description for Nellie's on the RCI excursion page. I even went in like I was booking again for my upcoming cruise and it no longer says upgraded buffet or water. It does say lunch at the three regular buffets.

Now, would you rent it again if you weren't getting upgraded lunch or bottles of water? Is it worth the same amount?

Edited by BND

My point was I believe that your supposition is incorrect.

And yes, I would rent it for just the privacy and shade.

Your post was a rave review for the cabanas with all the amenities. That is not what we're talking about. I've had cabanas on both Barefoot and Nellie's and before the prices went up, they were a decent deal, now without them, not so much.

What we want is to hear from someone who just came back and had a cabana on Nellie's. Also, a response from RCI would be nice.

I apologize . I guess 9/22 is not current enough for you..

IT does appear that you have cruised many carnival cruises ..

I should have realized that you are about quantity, not quality..

You have a magical day..

The diamond plus is next to Nellies Beach surrounded by a wall. Nice place- shaded , nicer quality lounges, private bar , private beach, access is restricted. They do check for your card that you are Diamond plus.. etc..

Edited by KenM

Backing up a step ........

Where is the Diamond Plus reserved area at Labadee?????????

I did not know they had one either.

Barefoot beach is suites and or cabanas on barefoot.

I think Pinacle too, but not sure.

Good question.

Sea Ya

Backing up a step ........

Where is the Diamond Plus reserved area at Labadee?????????

I've not heard of a D+ reserved area at Labadee. Only a gold card (full suite and Pinnacle C&A) area.

I apologize . I guess 9/22 is not current enough for you..

IT does appear that you have cruised many carnival cruises ..

I should have realized that you are about quantity, not quality..

You have a magical day..

Aren't you nice...

I've stayed in a GS several times, have you? Just sayin.....

I could mention all your HAL cruises and what a snoozefest that must have been........

I think we're all thinking that this change was as of 1 Oct or so, just in case you don't get it.

Pinnacle and suite guests all have Barefoot Beach to use. There is no separate D+ area that I've ever heard of.

Edited by BND

This is getting ridiculous!!:( What is RCI thinking.

I loved having our cabana on Nellies last May and enjoyed the upgraded buffet and thought for the price of the cabana it was well worth it.

We have one rented for next May and will not keep it if this is truly the case. And NO Water~~~ c'mon for $250. I think not.

And can someone tell me where the Cafe Labadee is. Why can't RCI then put in a buffet @ Nellies, since we're no longer invited over @ Barefoot.

And where is this D+ area:rolleyes:

Liz

I did not know they had one either.

Barefoot beach is suites and or cabanas on barefoot.

I think Pinacle too, but not sure.

Good question.

Sea Ya

I've not heard of a D+ reserved area at Labadee. Only a gold card (full suite and Pinnacle C&A) area.

I never knew that and neither did these fine folks. Especially Clarea who knows more then any of us and is a useful source of obscure info.

This is getting ridiculous!!:( What is RCI thinking.

I loved having our cabana on Nellies last May and enjoyed the upgraded buffet and thought for the price of the cabana it was well worth it.

We have one rented for next May and will not keep it if this is truly the case. And NO Water~~~ c'mon for $250. I think not.

And can someone tell me where the Cafe Labadee is. Why can't RCI then put in a buffet @ Nellies, since we're no longer invited over @ Barefoot.

And where is this D+ area:rolleyes:

Liz

Yep. Those of us that have one booked and have emailed are waiting for an answer. I have a map of Labadee. Cafe Labadee is in the Town Square area over near Adrenaline Beach before you get to the sports fields/courts. If we cancel, we'll probably go back on the ship for lunch. The lines are a pain because it's just not that well organized.

Edited by BND

I never knew that and neither did these fine folks. Especially Clarea who knows more then any of us and is a useful source of obscure info.

Thank you

And I agree Clarea is a wealth of information:D,

I wonder if cruisers on board or sailing now know any scoop.

As in when it went into effect?

Sea Ya

Yep. Those of us that have one booked and have emailed are waiting for an answer. I have a map of Labadee. Cafe Labadee is in the Town Square area over near Adrenaline Beach before you get to the sports fields/courts. If we cancel, we'll probably go back on the ship for lunch. The lines are a pain because it's just not that well organized.

You're absolutely right I would probably do the same. Take a dip @ Nellies then head back and enjoy a quiet ship:(

That was also one of the nice perks with cabana as to not having to take a hike to get your lunch and wait in those crazy lines.

Doesn't sound good at all. Hoping we get some real feedback from current cruisers. I also hope everyone calls and e-mails there concerns.

We have one booked/paid for next May also. I don't like the changes that are being discussed. It is hard to justify the cost with all the current(old) included ammenities, now it seems ridiculous..... no water even??

I got nowhere with two phone calls, They only quote the same description I can read online. I was also told that it never was included. No response yet from e-mail.

Waiting for some real info from people on board.......

I have 2 reserved for this coming. Thanksgiving. We are 11. I have some In our crew that can't take the sun and they said only six per for food, and I didn't want to split the group meal. Now I don't know what to do. Cancel one? Both? Hang out on the ship? I agree with the others, taking away perks after payment is just wrong.

Dave

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

At the end of this past August we also booked an Over The Water Cabana at Nellies Beach for our March 2015 sailing. Primary reason for booking besides the shade was some of the amenities and conveniences that were included. I gained a lot of great info here at CC about these Cabanas before making that booking. Now to find out after making that deposit of $250 they are taking away most of the benefits. Gees, a few weeks ago we learned they dropped Samana from our sailing and now this. They are taking away everything and worst part without any correspondence to their loyal guest. I will also send an email to RCI.

Also, I do agree as some have mentioned that Bob (Clarea) knows his stuff well and gives very good feedback. I have been on the receiving end of a few of those and I am thankful for the info and intel he shared.

We were in a Grand Suite this past week on Freedom. As concierge guests we were allowed to go in Barefoot Beach. We did not have a cabana, but were very comfortable underneath a tiki hut type of umbrella. The lunch was very nice, and a definite upgrade from the normal offerings. It included steak, chicken, shrimp, and baked potatoes in addition to most of the regular menu. The cove area of the water was so relaxing and quiet that it ended up being one of the highlights of our cruise. :)

Oh my gosh people it's not that big of a deal. We had a OTW cabana this past January and yes had the upgraded buffet and water. In my estimation its worth maybe $15, the steak and seafood skewers were ok but certainly not a deal breaker. Plus the line at the barefoort beach luch was crazy, we waited for probably 20 to 30 mins before we got our food. They only have 1 station with 1 line so it goes slow especially when they run out of food and people are waiting.... ughhh.

We have an 2 OTW cabana's booked for this next March and are certainly not going to cancel because of some just ok steak and seafood. The water was nice but we used the cooler more to order extra beer and drinks to keep them cool.

Believe me it's not a big deal, if you feel cheated then cancel, no penalty :rolleyes:. If you really want the steak then MAN up and pay about $500 more pp and get a GS or above. Then you can have your steak and eat it too...:D

I know, I know it the principle of the thing, they said we would get it and we want it now..... ya ya I get it. 5 year olds ughh....

Oh my gosh people it's not that big of a deal. We had a OTW cabana this past January and yes had the upgraded buffet and water. In my estimation its worth maybe $15, the steak and seafood skewers were ok but certainly not a deal breaker. Plus the line at the barefoort beach luch was crazy, we waited for probably 20 to 30 mins before we got our food. They only have 1 station with 1 line so it goes slow especially when they run out of food and people are waiting.... ughhh.

We have an 2 OTW cabana's booked for this next March and are certainly not going to cancel because of some just ok steak and seafood. The water was nice but we used the cooler more to order extra beer and drinks to keep them cool.

Believe me it's not a big deal, if you feel cheated then cancel, no penalty :rolleyes:. If you really want the steak then MAN up and pay about $500 more pp and get a GS or above. Then you can have your steak and eat it too...:D

I know, I know it the principle of the thing, they said we would get it and we want it now..... ya ya I get it. 5 year olds ughh....

Wow. Sorry, but $225 for shade is not worth it.

Last I checked this thread was about the taking away of amenities that we paid for and booked based on. Why does it bother you how we feel?

Edited by BND

Last I checked this thread was about the taking away of amenities that we paid for and booked based on. Why does it bother you how we feel?

I totally agree with you.

We also have a OTW cabana booked (same cruise as you) and feel we should get EXACTLY what was described when we paid our money.......period.

Would love to hear from some recent cruisers that can give us some first hand info.

You're right, I apologize for my comment, but this thread is starting to sound a lot like the smoking threads. In my mind it's RCCL's right to change anything they want about their company, remember you can cancel w/o penalty and or change lines because you don't agree with what they did.

I am still telling you that the 2 things that are being taken away are not worth even 5% of the price imho. I'm not being mean, i'm not siding with RCCL it's just not worth getting all worked up. If you are booking these cabanas due to the lunch at Barefoot then your booking them for the wrong reason.

I get people are upset because they are not getting what they paid for, if people feel RCCL did this as a deception, then by all means cancel, i'm sure it will be snatched up quick. I am keeping mine because it's a great place to hang, be with family and friends and hang for a great day. Again its certainly not for lunch, and if I have to buy a couple bottles of water so be it.

Again I apologize for my comment. We're paying thousands of dollars for our cruises, I'm just saying don't let $15 or $20 ruin it. Principle or not...

You're right, I apologize for my comment, but this thread is starting to sound a lot like the smoking threads. In my mind it's RCCL's right to change anything they want about their company, remember you can cancel w/o penalty and or change lines because you don't agree with what they did.

I am still telling you that the 2 things that are being taken away are not worth even 5% of the price imho. I'm not being mean, i'm not siding with RCCL it's just not worth getting all worked up. If you are booking these cabanas due to the lunch at Barefoot then your booking them for the wrong reason.

I get people are upset because they are not getting what they paid for, if people feel RCCL did this as a deception, then by all means cancel, i'm sure it will be snatched up quick. I am keeping mine because it's a great place to hang, be with family and friends and hang for a great day. Again its certainly not for lunch, and if I have to buy a couple bottles of water so be it.

Again I apologize for my comment. We're paying thousands of dollars for our cruises, I'm just saying don't let $15 or $20 ruin it. Principle or not...

Did smokers pay $225 just to smoke? NO? It's not the same thing at all.

It's not that they don't have the right to change it. No one said that. We just want to know whether they changed it or not before we keep our reservation.

You have missed the point of this thread (and the other one you chose to post on).

Do not "lecture" us on how we should accept the change. It's called bait and switch but since I know "buyer beware" I'm reserving the right to cancel based on the response we get.

I will not pay $225 for shade. Again, why do you care? You posted on a thread that had nothing to do with you at all as you don't really care.

Edited by BND

Why am I not surprised? The cabanas on Nellie's cost the same as on barefoot, but without the upgraded lunch and bottled water?

Had a similar situation at Cococay. Booked a cabanette, was told it included the upgraded lunch (by the excursions people) only to find out, at lunch time, that it didn't.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Do not "lecture" us on how we should accept the change. It's called bait and switch but since I know "buyer beware" I'm reserving the right to cancel based on the response we get.

Oh, by no means am I lecturing you to accept the change, like I said once you get your facts, then cancel. That is not accepting the change. But change is inevitable, just saying.....

I will not pay $225 for shade. Again, why do you care? You posted on a thread that had nothing to do with you at all as you don't really care.

To be honest, your right right I really don't give a rip if you want to pay $225 or not. Makes no difference to me:D I'm just letting people know of the other choice which is to keep or book a cabana and I don't think you will miss those 2 perks. I think I do have merit to to let folks know that because I have experienced this recently and have 2 more booked and I unlike you think they are worth the $250.

It does suck that they did switch, but I'm sure they were getting a lot of heat from the suite guests who are paying a lot more money than I am.