Choice Air seats

Chicago Boy

We always use our Travel Agent to book our cruises. She booked our plane tickets through Choice Air and I have to say the one way price from Chicago to Barcelona for November 23rd is fabulous. Under $600.00 p.p. We tried and our travel agent tried to upgrade us to tourist comfort plus but the airline will not allow to buy the upgrade because our air fair is so low. I wonder if anyone else has had this experience? I'm just curious. Trust me I am not griping. I went on line to the airline and a couple of other sites that sell this ticket and they want almost $3,000.00 for a one way. We love the Trans Atlantic from either Rome or Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale and do it every year.

We always use our Travel Agent to book our cruises. She booked our plane tickets through Choice Air and I have to say the one way price from Chicago to Barcelona for November 23rd is fabulous. Under $600.00 p.p. We tried and our travel agent tried to upgrade us to tourist comfort plus but the airline will not allow to buy the upgrade because our air fair is so low. I wonder if anyone else has had this experience? I'm just curious. Trust me I am not griping. I went on line to the airline and a couple of other sites that sell this ticket and they want almost $3,000.00 for a one way. We love the Trans Atlantic from either Rome or Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale and do it every year.

Who are you flying with?

Have u tried calling the airline directly ?

Those deeply discounted one way transatlantic fares Choice Air sells are generally bulk/consolidator type tickets. The savings can be tremendous, but such tickets generally have fare rules that are not favorable to the passenger. The precise rules vary from ticket to ticket as to what is and what is not allowed. So long as everything runs smoothly generally these tickets are fine, but if a flight is canceled, greatly delayed or a missed connection occur difficulties can arise as these tickets tend to be highly restrictive and you are at the end of the line for reaccomdation versus those holding full price tickets.

Who are you flying with?

Have u tried calling the airline directly ?

I called Choice Air and was told once the reservation had been made they were out of the loop and they could do nothing about upgrading our seating. Choice Air did get us a fabulous price so no complaints about them. I guess if I were the airline I would give priority to those who had paid a lot more than we did. As I said, I was just curious if anyone else had, had the same experience. Traveling used to be easy. Not so much these days.

I called Choice Air and was told once the reservation had been made they were out of the loop and they could do nothing about upgrading our seating. Choice Air did get us a fabulous price so no complaints about them. I guess if I were the airline I would give priority to those who had paid a lot more than we did. As I said, I was just curious if anyone else had, had the same experience. Traveling used to be easy. Not so much these days.

We have used Choice Air to get to Barcelona this Nov for $420 pp from Toronto with BA

On BA website it is indicated we can upgrade if we want to

They is why I ask if you phoned the Airline directly

We have used Choice Air to get to Barcelona this Nov for $420 pp from Toronto with BA

On BA website it is indicated we can upgrade if we want to

They is why I ask if you phoned the Airline directly

We have Choice Air "flex" tickets with Delta. With flex, you don't pay for air until cruise final payment. When I first booked the flights, I was unable to upgrade to Economy Comfort because the flight tickets were not actually purchased. Once I made cruise final payment, I was able to purchase Economy Comfort seats.

Many airlines do indeed restrict paid upgrades to higher fares or elites. If you're, for example, a passenger without status who is on one of the cheapest tickets on the plane, they're already losing money on you, so they'll have very little incentive to upgrade you, even if you offer to pay for it (because odds are you won't be willing to pay enough to make your ticket profitable to the airline)

I used choice air for a flight from mia to bcn leaving on oct. 27. fare was $543 one way. was able to purchase main cabin extra (american's economy plus) for $112 directly on the airline website.

I called Choice Air and was told once the reservation had been made they were out of the loop and they could do nothing about upgrading our seating.

This is not true and probably the "script" a call center agent has. Choice Air OWNS the ticket. They purchased it over a year ago, on contract, with restrictions agreed to by Choice Air and the airline, and it was just "sitting on a shelf" waiting for you to point and click.

IChoice Air did get us a fabulous price so no complaints about them. I guess if I were the airline I would give priority to those who had paid a lot more than we did. As I said, I was just curious if anyone else had, had the same experience. Traveling used to be easy. Not so much these days.

Why do you believe this is a FABULOUS price? It is 1/2 price of a RT ticket. And that is what the cruise lines pay for-RT tickets. 1/2 is sold to you and 1/2 is sold to another passenger. So not such a fabulous price.

I, too, am taking a TA Dec. 1 from Rome to FLL. I was originally going by myself but had been looking for someone to go with me. One of my friends from Northern Missouri decided she could take the time off. So then we started looking for air to get her to Rome. NOT counting the short hop flight from either MCI or DSM to ORD, she is paying $638.94 on Aer Lingus from Chicago to Rome. She has the full protections of the airline, not a restricted ticket.

There ARE ways to get fully protected tickets direct from airlines at about the same price as Choice Air. Just have to do the research or have a TA that understands air, NOT just cruises. MOST TA's don't.

To answer your original question, the chances of you being able to upgrade a Choice Air seat WITHOUT paying a HUGE sum of money is slim and none.

I used choice air for a flight from mia to bcn leaving on oct. 27. fare was $543 one way. was able to purchase main cabin extra (american's economy plus) for $112 directly on the airline website.

There's a big difference between economy plus and premium economy. Economy +/Main Cabin Extra/Delta Comfort are simply seats with a bit more legroom. Premium Economy is an entirely different cabin (i.e. Economy, Prem Economy, Business, First = 4 Cabin Aircraft), so it's considered an upgrade, whereas Economy + is just considered a seat choice within the economy cabin. If you had a ticket that was non-upgradeable, you could still get an Economy + seat, but a Premium Economy seat would be different.

Since I can't figure out what airline OP is flying on, I am assuming it's one with true Premium Economy (such as British Airways or Air France), rather than one with Economy + (United, American, Delta)

AA is one of the few airlines that allows upgrades from almost ANY ticket. Their info generally says any PUBLISHED FARE ticket but they will very often allow paid upgrades from most any ticket, particularly using the website.

As Zach1213 just posted, MCE is NOT an upgrade. And to tell the truth, NOT much benefit. The first row has all the IFE under the seats, so you have to keep getting up and down. The tray tables are in the armrests in a lot of the seats. The galley is now behind those seats and all the banging around carries FORWARD. I thought the 767's were better when the galley was in the middle of that section, with two seats on each side. The noise wasn't near as bad.

Aer Lingus appears to be a minor player out there

Does not fly into Toronto all year long

u6agyny6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Aer Lingus is the national airline of Ireland. They are not a particularly small airline and their connections with other airlines (their codeshares) are fantastic-JetBlue, AA and Etihad plus a couple of others. My employees were placed on an Etihad flight out of JFK when the Aer Lingus flight was delayed. Etihad is one of the best airlines in the world and the service is absolutely stellar.

You have to know how to work their system to book flights very far in advance on their website. Toronto to Dublin service begins next Spring. Currently you have to fly one of their partners to Chicago, Boston or JFK to connect. http://www.meetingscanada.com/news-articles/aer-lingus-to-open-direct-toronto-to-dublin-service-in-2014/

So what you need to do is look at XXX to DUBLIN on their website. Find the flights and price that works for you. Then find DUBLIN (DUB) to wherever in Europe you are flying. You MAY have to purchase the tickets separately to get the best price. Then you IMMEDIATELY call the Aer Lingus office (I don't know whether they have one for Canada but it should be on their website). And have the agent "marry" your two tickets. This insures the luggage allowance from USA to wherever in Europe. AND Aer Lingus also allows up to a two week layover in Ireland without any upcharges if you want to spend time in Ireland.

If you need more help, please ask.

And out of Canada, Air Transat and Air Berlin usually have some pretty good fares, particularly if you are looking at one ways.

We have had the opportunity to review your post and would like to review this with you personally. Please send your booking information and contact details to concerns@celebrity.com as soon as possible. Thanks!

We have had the opportunity to review your post and would like to review this with you personally. Please send your booking information and contact details to concerns@celebrity.com as soon as possible. Thanks!

So now you are concerned about one person's post about being upgraded on a flight when I have REPEATEDLY written to you and called you (including ONE EXPRESS MAIL that you had to sign for) about my cruise on Dec. 1?

I had been charged the wrong price when I booked. I booked the Dec. 1 TA from Rome to FLL with a major cruise agency for ONE PERSON. They kept charging me for TWO PEOPLE, TWO sets of taxes and port fees. I kept pointing out they were wrong, including going to Celebrity DIRECT to straighten it out.

I finally cancelled the cruise because NO ONE could straighten it out, even explain it to me or gave a d*** about what I had booked. I rebooked last night on T****. For two people, less than 2/3 the price originally quoted FOR ONE!!! AND the taxes and fees were correct.

Celebrity maybe lost money. MAYBE the TA did too. I don't know but I got the SAME CATEGORY cabin for 2/3 what the price was originally for ONE PERSON and got the cabin for two.

You live and learn. Last time I will book a cruise 6 months in advance.

Apparently, generating negative publicity in a public forum sometimes causes corporate America to listen.

So now you are concerned about one person's post about being upgraded on a flight when I have REPEATEDLY written to you and called you (including ONE EXPRESS MAIL that you had to sign for) about my cruise on Dec. 1?

Ridiculous. Next time complain in a public forum or on their website. :D

Those deeply discounted one way transatlantic fares Choice Air sells are generally bulk/consolidator type tickets. The savings can be tremendous, but such tickets generally have fare rules that are not favorable to the passenger. The precise rules vary from ticket to ticket as to what is and what is not allowed. So long as everything runs smoothly generally these tickets are fine, but if a flight is canceled, greatly delayed or a missed connection occur difficulties can arise as these tickets tend to be highly restrictive and you are at the end of the line for reaccomdation (sic) versus those holding full price tickets.

Perhaps what you said is not what you meant, but the bolded part is inaccurate. Yes, those with published fares might get better treatment than those with Cruise Air, but you definitely don't need "full price" tickets. Most airline tickets are discounted published fare, nowhere near the full fare that is more akin to the "sticker price."

That is so funny an airline does not want to take more money for someone that wants to pay the difference for the Tourist Plus cabin.

That is so funny an airline does not want to take more money for someone that wants to pay the difference for the Tourist Plus cabin.

That's not the point. Apparently, this poster's fare is not in a fare class that allows this upgrade.

Aer Lingus is the national airline of Ireland. They are not a particularly small airline and their connections with other airlines (their codeshares) are fantastic-JetBlue, AA and Etihad plus a couple of others. My employees were placed on an Etihad flight out of JFK when the Aer Lingus flight was delayed. Etihad is one of the best airlines in the world and the service is absolutely stellar.

You have to know how to work their system to book flights very far in advance on their website. Toronto to Dublin service begins next Spring. Currently you have to fly one of their partners to Chicago, Boston or JFK to connect. http://www.meetingscanada.com/news-articles/aer-lingus-to-open-direct-toronto-to-dublin-service-in-2014/

So what you need to do is look at XXX to DUBLIN on their website. Find the flights and price that works for you. Then find DUBLIN (DUB) to wherever in Europe you are flying. You MAY have to purchase the tickets separately to get the best price. Then you IMMEDIATELY call the Aer Lingus office (I don't know whether they have one for Canada but it should be on their website). And have the agent "marry" your two tickets. This insures the luggage allowance from USA to wherever in Europe. AND Aer Lingus also allows up to a two week layover in Ireland without any upcharges if you want to spend time in Ireland.

If you need more help, please ask.

And out of Canada, Air Transat and Air Berlin usually have some pretty good fares, particularly if you are looking at one ways.

You folks seem to know a lot about booking flights! I can't seem to figure it all out. I have an open jaw flight from NYC or Philly to LAX and then Sydney, Australia back to NYC or Philly to pick up my car. I don't like the China Air 40 plus hours flight. Trying to find a good price and hopefully an upgrade for at least the Australia to USA leg. At 6'4'' long flights are a killer on the legs. - Allan

You folks seem to know a lot about booking flights! I can't seem to figure it all out. I have an open jaw flight from NYC or Philly to LAX and then Sydney, Australia back to NYC or Philly to pick up my car. I don't like the China Air 40 plus hours flight. Trying to find a good price and hopefully an upgrade for at least the Australia to USA leg. At 6'4'' long flights are a killer on the legs. - Allan

If you don't want the China Air (I am seeing China Eastern when I search) option, and want a shorter travel time, you are just going to have to pay more.

Try searching on this webpage and using the "multi-destination" option:

http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

Is this a cruise air booking??? Have you already paid for the flights?

IF not, there are myriad ways to mitigate the long, long, long flight.

1. You post NO DATES so it is very hard to advise

2. Take a break in LA even if you have to book JFK/LAX and return on a separate ticket. AA has very good flights LATE at night that are peaceful and quiet and fly non stop. I fly those AA flights into JFK almost monthly. Spend the night at an airport hotel (Priceline is your friend-should be less than $90).

2. Take a look at Air Pacific. NOT the best flight experience BUT I have flown Air Pacific twice to Australia from LAX. That break in NADI Fiji is a very WELCOME break to get out and stretch your legs, get at REAL bite to eat and continue on your journey. And usually the price is right.

3. Or fly the opposite way through Asia. China Eastern is the cheapest for arbitrary dates with a 4.5 hour layover in Shanghai. For an extra $300, you can fly Emirates through Dubai with only a 2.5 hour layover BUT a great flight experience.

IF it was me and was trying to save a few bucks PLUS have a few extra inches of room without paying for it, I would fly NYC/LAX on whatever airline was the cheapest but the nonstops on AA are great, then a hotel at the airport via Priceline, then Air Pacific. CHOOSE the BACK of the plane and take both aisle seats in the middle section. You MAY luck out and be able to lay down the entire flight. They usually offer an upgrade to first/business class for about $550 AT THE AIRPORT IF the pointy end of the plane is NOT full. Just sent employees to Australia from NYC in August and all three of them were able to upgrade to first/business for $550 PLUS some kind of NYC taxes which I really can't explain since they left from LAX. BUT the total per person each way upgrade was less than $600. And they slept all the way.

While you may not get the greatest service on Air Pacific, you MAY have a chance to really stretch out and SLEEP all the way from LA to Nadi (been there, done that and if you are not large people width wise, two can comfortably sleep head to toe for a long time). Nice little break in Nadi and a short flight to Sydney.

Dates would help. You may also be able to BUY enough miles to fly to SYD through the Middle East on a variety of airlines. Most of the Middle East airlines are truly a class above the rest, even in coach.

You truly have a LOT of options.

Archived