Thanksgiving Day onboard. Please make me feel better.

We're sailing on Allure with my inlaws for Thanksgiving week. I just had a total panic moment when I realized for the first time that I can remember I won't get to see or hear at least some of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Ugh! Thinking of all the little traditions that will be different this year. I'm so sad! But I wonder what all is done to observe the day onboard the ship. Anyone want to share past Thanksgiving experiences???

We're sailing on Allure with my inlaws for Thanksgiving week. I just had a total panic moment when I realized for the first time that I can remember I won't get to see or hear at least some of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Ugh! Thinking of all the little traditions that will be different this year. I'm so sad! But I wonder what all is done to observe the day onboard the ship. Anyone want to share past Thanksgiving experiences???

They will offer turkey and stuffing as one of the entrees at dinner.

We have three generations again going on Oasis this Thanksgiving, and I am excited about it again. Besides the usual traditional Thanksgiving dinner, we had lots of fun (I guess as much as you could on a ship) at the "black Friday sales," they had onboard! I hope you will love the holiday on the ship!:)

Suggestion: Get a tape of a past parade. (I am sure that they are available online; youtube or some other video posting site).

Download it onto your laptop or tablet.

Take it with you.

:)

Suggestion: Get a tape of a past parade. (I am sure that they are available online; youtube or some other video posting site).

Download it onto your laptop or tablet.

Take it with you.

:)

I love this idea... All the prettiness of the floats/marching bands/horses, and you can fast forward past the inane prattle from the announcers and the multitude of commercials!

We make it a point to sail during Thanksgiving every year. You'll of course have the traditional turkey dinner offered in the MDR. You can enjoy the dinner and choices without having to cook or clean up. Your ship will be in St. Maarten on that day and I'm sure you'll be out and about instead of catching the parade on TV (not sure if they showed in onboard/aquatheater or not). We did Allure during Thanksgiving in 2011 and loved it. They start setting up Christmas decorations in the promenade and will have their own parade (if you catch it). I remember another time them playing Christmas music at the pier in St. Maarten with steel drums. The best part of it all is what ever you do will be better than sitting home in the cold in front of a TV. Enjoy and make the best of your day and start a new tradition.

I don't understand.. Thanksgiving was last weekend. Oct 14th.

What am I missing?

:cool::cool::cool::D:D:D

JUst think, you can have thanksgiving in Canada, then come down to the US and have a second one here.

We sailed on Thanksgiving once. Personally, I wouldn't do it again. Why? 1) The price was high. 2) The ship was crowded -- so crowded, in fact, that we were assigned to a little side room instead of a table in the main dining room -- that was a very bad thing. 3) Our first and last days (in and out of Florida) were chilly, though I don't think that was typical.

As for Thanksgiving traditions, I could take or leave the parade, but if it matters to you, taping a previous parade makes good sense to me. Another option: If it's a shore day, do you suppose a bar might be showing the parade? It'd be a bit early for a bar to be open, but it might happen. The turkey dinner was very nice, and it was one of our formal nights -- I believe they shifted the formal night to make that work. And, yes, Christmas decorations began appearing the next day; I did enjoy that.

I will miss the parade this year too. I work a 12 hour night shift Wednesday night and Thanksgiving night at the hospital so I will be sleeping. No turkey dinner either unless I get a frozen dinner as the family will be with other relatives that day. I have learned over many years that it is just a day like any other and life goes on. Someday I will retire and enjoy Thanksgving, Christmas and many other holidays like "normal" people do.

Seriously I hope you have a great cruise and enjoy not having to cook and clean. Not all is lost for me as I will board Oasis the Saturday after Thanksgiving. That will get me through this year.:)

My family and I cruise every year and the only time we are all available is actually during Thanksgiving. Every RC cruise I have ever been on, they usually have a feed of the parade going on. It's nice to just lay in bed, order room service and watch the parade on a day at sea which is usually the situation I am in, but this year will be my first time being on an island on Thanksgiving day! It will be okay, If you can help it DVR the parade at home and catch up when you return! ;)

Love cruising Thanksgiving. You should be able to view part of the parade on-line via the Internet on the ship. Also, you typically have a choice of either turkey or ham (which I like, not being a turkey fan).

Love cruising Thanksgiving. You should be able to view part of the parade on-line via the Internet on the ship. Also, you typically have a choice of either turkey or ham (which I like, not being a turkey fan).

Actually, it's a full normal menu in the MDR that includes the turkey dinner as a selection ....

LuLu

~~~~

My one and only (so far) cruise was over Thanksgiving. Other than some guilt over leaving my mother with all of the cooking (I did bake some pies early and left them in her freezer), it was wonderful. There were decorations on the ship, and the traditional turkey dinner was served in the MDR. My favorite part was being able to put my feet up and relax on Thanksgiving day for the first time in almost 50 years. :) Photo of decor attached.

Thanksgiving.jpg.b2ada89361397971906ec209b00f8184.jpg

Since Macy's just announced that they will open all their stores at 8 p.m. on THANKSGIVING DAY, I urge everyone to boycott watching the parade (and it goes without saying to NOT run out to shop on Thanksgiving night). If their tv ratings go down, maybe Macy's management will see the folly of their decision and let their employees have a real holiday next year.

Enjoy your parade-less cruises. Wish I was going along with you.

Since Macy's just announced that they will open all their stores at 8 p.m. on THANKSGIVING DAY, I urge everyone to boycott watching the parade (and it goes without saying to NOT run out to shop on Thanksgiving night). If their tv ratings go down, maybe Macy's management will see the folly of their decision and let their employees have a real holiday next year.

Enjoy your parade-less cruises. Wish I was going along with you.

Good luck.

Too many Black Friday shoppers wanting to get a jump start on the Christmas shopping.

I gave up on the parade a few years ago. All it is is full of advertising for movies, tv programming and listening to the hosts talk. Your lucky if they show a few floats. It used to be all about the floats and bands. we took our years ago t Manhattan to watch it in person. Froze our butts off but nothing beats seeing it live. It's an experience you will never forget.

Archived