How much luggage?

beachbum6264

We take 4 suitcases -- 3 large and 1 medium plus 2 carry-ons. I have many clothes that can not be washed and worn (if I am lucky) only once.

Besides doing the 21 or 22 day cruise -- we have to spend 1 night at our airport hotel for early morning flights, then 2 or 3 days in the embarkation port. At the end of the cruise we have to spend a night at a hotel before flying home, then a night at our airport hotel before driving home the following day. So we are basically gone 4 weeks -- thus a lot of clothes in the first 4 or 5 days before we even get on the ship.

Somehow I manage to go away with one large suitcase and two carry-ons. One carry-on is durable medical equipment.

The length of the cruise, and the itinerary don't matter. I have taken cruises that started and ended in hot, humid areas, but went to Antarctica along the way. Doesn't matter. One week or 35 days---doesn't matter. I will admit that on a 1-week cruise the suitcase isn't quite as full, but usually it comes in somewhere in the neighborhood of 42-43 lbs.

For our 31 day cruise, we had one large checked bag and 1 carry on each. We always had formal wear but had to plan for warm to cool weather (FLL to the Baltics, South America and Antarctica, Arctic cruises.). We packed for 7 days on the longest one and paid for unlimited laundry, which was so very worth the cost. For the three 16 - 19 day cruises we've been on, we basically did the same without the laundry on the 16 day cruises and self laundered on the 19 day cruise. Fullness of the checked bag varied but we've never paid for overweight bags.

Four large bags for us. We tend to take longer cruises and arrive at the embarkation port three days early. We always stay at least one day on disembarkation. Of course we always have our carry on luggage as well. They fit under the seats.

We have free laundry but there are a number of things that I would not put in the dryer at home so I certainly don't send them out to the laundry.

I keep trying to pare the amount of luggage down but have never been successful. They are always a little less than full to allow for shopping.

We never have any kind of discussion about the number of bags because packing is my department.

Nowadays when I shop for clothes and shoes I'm always conscious of the weight. DH and I travel quite a bit, not just cruises, and unless we are out in our RV, regardless of whether it is two weeks or a month, the maximum luggage we take is what we can manage ourselves: each a large checked bag and one carry on plus a mini day pack for him and purse for me. DH's carry on is wheeled and we have a Bag Bungee to attach it to a large bag. He always stores this carry on in an overhead bin on the plane. My carry on is a tote that has a zippered compartment on the back that fits over the handle of a roller bag and fits under the plane seat. After the seatbelt sign is off I place it between the back of my legs and my seat and don't lose any leg room. It holds our electronics and snacks. I divide up our clothes between the two large bags (The one time our daughter bought tickets for a play the night of our arrival was the time DH's bag was delivered the next day...no more his and her bags), and we have a change of clothes in the carry on. Our formal clothes go in the largest bag which came with a removable garment bag... Nice feature... And in the other bag we have our best "smart casual" outfits. We hope to enjoy traveling for many more years even though the old backs now give us a bit of trouble.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I take a 21 inch roller, DW takes a 24 inch roller. Plus one small carry on between us.

We take this for two weeks and we took the same on our 6 month trip.

We dress in layers. Nothing gets in the suitcase that is not worn several times. We take two pairs of shoes each...one on our feet and one in the suitcase. We no longer bother with formal nights in the MDR.

And we are working hard to get it down to 2 21 inch rollers at the very most. Carry on would be our dream/ultimate end point.

We try to get by with two big 28" suitcases and two carryons no matter what the length of the tour/cruise. The exception was Alaska where we took a rolling duffle as a third checked bag for cold weather items. I know it is tough to do, and believe me, I have not gone more than two weeks on ANY trip. For a longer trip, I am speechless, I don't know what in the worldI would do for that long of a trip. I don't have to worry about it too much, I don't think our finances would allow us to go more than 14 days anyway...........!:)

One good thing, HAL has laundry service on the ship, so that must help for a longer cruise. Now a longer land tour, I don't know what in the heck people do on those except try to find a Laundromat somewhere!

I think the longest we've travelled is 18 days. Cold at home to a hot weather cruise, then back to cold to visit relatives for a few days, then home. One carry on each, and one checked bag each. We used the ship's laundry service. We took formal wear, along with enough cold weather clothing to manage at the relatives' place.

The longest we have been away is around 38 days - but it really doesn't make much difference - it's the variable weather that affects things. We only want luggage we can manage if at all possible. It frees you up not having to rely on porters, etc. Traditionally we have either one checked bag each or 3 bags for the two of us (smaller). We each have a carryon - DH with the camera equipment and that stuff and I with the essentials and Ipad.

And yes, we do formal nights and pack for it. Although it bothers DH, I do weigh the luggage. We usually don't take it to the weight limit - it's too heavy and too hard to manage - I'd rather bring a third bag than have 2 heavy bags that are difficult to manage.

Nowadays when I shop for clothes and shoes I'm always conscious of the weight. DH and I travel quite a bit, not just cruises, and unless we are out in our RV, regardless of whether it is two weeks or a month, the maximum luggage we take is what we can manage ourselves: each a large checked bag and one carry on plus a mini day pack for him and purse for me. DH's carry on is wheeled and we have a Bag Bungee to attach it to a large bag. He always stores this carry on in an overhead bin on the plane. My carry on is a tote that has a zippered compartment on the back that fits over the handle of a roller bag and fits under the plane seat. After the seatbelt sign is off I place it between the back of my legs and my seat and don't lose any leg room. It holds our electronics and snacks. I divide up our clothes between the two large bags (The one time our daughter bought tickets for a play the night of our arrival was the time DH's bag was delivered the next day...no more his and her bags), and we have a change of clothes in the carry on. Our formal clothes go in the largest bag which came with a removable garment bag... Nice feature... And in the other bag we have our best "smart casual" outfits. We hope to enjoy traveling for many more years even though the old backs now give us a bit of trouble.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

More trouble as you get older. We limit ourselves to what we can handle without help, saves a lot of time in some airports.

Last cruise we used the ship's laundry and they did such a nice job we used them again at the end and got home with mostly clean, pressed cloths! :D

Took some of the downer feeling away.:cool:

4 suitcases here as well - 2 large, 2 medium. I've really ,really tried to get it down to less bags, but my weakness is shoes, and lotions and potions take a lot of room too.:o

It isn't shoes for us.

But -- since we have to take our own shampoo (usually 2 bottles on longer cruises), hand soap (2 bars) and we both have medical creams that are in tubes larger than 3 ounces. All these things get spread out over the 4 suitcases.

We have always used taken small carry-ons for years. One is for the medical bag and a few incidentals. The other one is for camera equipment and my chocolates.

Thankfully they are small as DH is now in charge of them since I am in a wheelchair going through the airports and embarking and disembarking the ship.

My DH and I have that "conversation" every time we travel! ;) He likes to take one suitcase each, plus one carry-on each (plus my purse), whatever the length. I like to add in one soft/duffle bag, for shoes, books, etc. (Less vital now that I have a Kindle, but still useful for bulky stuff.) I have a largish carry-on, with wheels (actually a computer case that I've cut the dividers out of, because I wanted to have a bag with a strap to slip over the handles of my big suitcase), and I stuff that with our nightclothes, plus a change of clothing and shoes for myself. DH has electronics in his carry-on, and also carries all our travel documents, pills, etc. I fit my camera and kindle in my purse.

We do do formal nights, but DH now just wears his comfortable black walking shoes - I don't think anyone has ever noticed, and his shoes are so big and bulky, I think I could take 4 pairs for his one!

We have started each one packing his/her own suitcase, and that has eased some of the arguments! Of course, at the end I might just see if he has a little space left over for a few of my things! He used to do all the packing and mix it up, but I was quizzed over everything, so it's simpler to just pack my own!

My DH and I have that "conversation" every time we travel! ;) He likes to take one suitcase each, plus one carry-on each (plus my purse), whatever the length. I like to add in one soft/duffle bag, for shoes, books, etc. (Less vital now that I have a Kindle, but still useful for bulky stuff.) I have a largish carry-on, with wheels (actually a computer case that I've cut the dividers out of, because I wanted to have a bag with a strap to slip over the handles of my big suitcase), and I stuff that with our nightclothes, plus a change of clothing and shoes for myself. DH has electronics in his carry-on, and also carries all our travel documents, pills, etc. I fit my camera and kindle in my purse.

We do do formal nights, but DH now just wears his comfortable black walking shoes - I don't think anyone has ever noticed, and his shoes are so big and bulky, I think I could take 4 pairs for his one!

We have started each one packing his/her own suitcase, and that has eased some of the arguments! Of course, at the end I might just see if he has a little space left over for a few of my things! He used to do all the packing and mix it up, but I was quizzed over everything, so it's simpler to just pack my own!

Yes, one suitcase each and one carry on each plus my purse. It has worked so far..........however, I would never allow him to pack his suitcase.....I do all the packing. Otherwise he would travel with one pair of cutoffs, an old ratty t-shirt, two pairs of underwear, and a pair of jeans for formal night :eek:..........no thank you! I make sure everyone is presentable as required! ;)

4 suitcases here as well - 2 large, 2 medium. I've really ,really tried to get it down to less bags, but my weakness is shoes, and lotions and potions take a lot of room too.:o

I also take many pairs of shoes & can't seem to get it down..But we drive to the port..When we've had to fly to the port, was able to pare it down to 2 checked bags & 2 carry-ons..:eek::eek: The big joke among my Friends is asking DH how many pr's of shoes I took..LOL Like you Meds, Cosmetics and one change of clothes with extra shoes go into our carry-on's..

For our 68 day cruise we shipped one large 29 inch (borrowed that one), 3 medium 25-26 inch directly to the port...Then we carried one 26 inch plus two carry-ons..On that trip I took 9 pairs of shoes & wore every pair..For our three week cruise will probably take 6 or 7 pr. of shoes, but many of them are sandals, which really count as 2 pr..My walking shoes are the heaviest..DH only takes two pairs one of which he wears..LOL On our 68 day cruise we had to have the bags ready before Christmas for shipping & had a Jan 05 departure, so most everything had to be pressed since the bags were at the port for two weeks..

One of our 26 inch bags is actually a hanging bag with pockets..We put DH's suit or TUX, some dress shirts & pants plus most of my formal clothes & jackets in it..I put shirts inside his suit/TUX or my jackets & put the arms through the jackets. All are hung in plastic dry cleaner bags & hope they won't be too wrinkled by the time we unpack them..If so have to send them out to be pressed.. Fortunately we are 4 star so laundry & pressing is free..

Always cross pack every bag, just in case a bag is lost...:eek::eek::eek: Thank goodness never had a lost bag..

For our three week cruise plan to take the one hanging bag, one or two 25/26 inch & one 21 inch to be checked at the port.. Then we'll take two small rolling duffel bags, which HAL gave us on our Prinsendam cruise for Meds & cosmetics.. Love those little rolling duffel's..They look a bit like this:

http://www.jcpenney.com/everyday-prices/athalon-xtra-lite-21-wheeled-duffel-bag/prod.jump?ppId=1a1cad6&Nao=24&pN=2&searchTerm=rolling+bags&dimCombo=null&dimComboVal=null&catId=SearchResults&colorizedImg=0900631b81a443beM.tif

Cheers..Betty

Yes, one suitcase each and one carry on each plus my purse. It has worked so far..........however, I would never allow him to pack his suitcase.....I do all the packing. Otherwise he would travel with one pair of cutoffs, an old ratty t-shirt, two pairs of underwear, and a pair of jeans for formal night :eek:..........no thank you! I make sure everyone is presentable as required! ;)

Oh I had a good laugh over your post..;):D

DH is the same as your DH & I'm the same as you..Never ever let him pack his own bag! DH will forget half of the things..When he traveled for business he was better, but I still had to check his bag as he might forget a change of socks etc.. If not he would say to me You Forgot etc etc...:(

DH wears his plain black shoes with his TUX & I don't think anyone has ever noticed..If they did, they were polite..

Only once on a formal night an inebriated younger man made fun of DH in his TUX when he got on the elevator..DH laughed it off, but I was a bit upset..:(

Betty

Archived