Move away from seating with 'strangers' in MDR

So interesting... this thread has brought up memories for me of our first cruises in the mid-90s on the now-defunct "Big Red Boat."

A family-oriented cruise (most of you probably know that it ran 3- and 4-night itineraries in rotation with 3- and 4-night stays at Disneyworld, before Disney started their own cruise line) on older, smaller ships -- no balcony cabins, the only gym was a dank interior room on the lower decks where old men lifted weights -- but it had (obviously) a great kids program, and very traditional dining:

Three fixed mealtimes per day (and if you had the early dinner seating, you had the early breakfast time, too -- we usually missed that!). You would always "dress" for dinner (not necessarily formally, but nicely) -- and you had fixed tablemates... who were always there, because, after all, there was nowhere else to go!!

This was my family's introduction to cruising... as a single mother of two young children, it was wonderful for me to get to converse with other adults... and for my two children, it was a great opportunity to learn how to dress, sit, eat with good manners and talk with other people in a polite way (rather than in our generally informal home atmosphere where I was the only adult). They are now in their 20s and know how to handle themselves in a wide range of situations! (Of course, they also had plenty of time in the kids program onboard and in port to hang out with other children their own age, play, relax, eat "fun" meals, etc.)

I understand the pleasures of freedom... choosing from multiple dining options, eating when you want and where you want, not having to watch your children (I loved going to all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean with great outdoor restaurants where they could run around during the meal without disturbing the other diners -- because they could run out to the beach right next to the table!!) -- however, it's also special to have some of the traditions of cruising continue...

I sincerely hope they NEVER do away with traditional, fixed dining, where you can meet and talk to new people. Yes, sometimes your dining companions do not become your best friends... but sometimes they do!! I have made many friends cruising, some of whom I cruise with to this day...

As it happens, I'm traveling with one group of cruising friends very soon, and we're doing MTD on our upcoming Oasis cruise (my first time). I'll be curious to see if I meet anyone new at all, or if I just hang out with my "old" cruising friends. Hopefully I'll find other opportunities to chat with new people and maybe strike up a new friendship; we'll see...

I suppose that honeymooners and/or those on a special romantic or anniversary cruise might prefer to be on their own... but perhaps they'd also enjoy sharing their happiness with others! I've had great fun with newlyweds on shared shore excursions, etc., and it's always nice to celebrate their special times along with them.

JMHO

Actually, that was my point. See what you highlighted in my post. The point I was making was that the Windjammer has become a more popular choice for dinner, and RCCL should consider providing a way for WJ only people to not reserve a spot in the MDR. Thinking on it further, it would help RCCL plan amounts of food to prepare for WJ dinner as well. If the WJ is crowded, there might be wasted dinners in the MDR and items running out in the WJ.

But if they do this they would need to increase the capacity of the WJ. No point in having extra food if there is nowhere to sit. Why have so many MDR levels if they are all half empty, they could turn one of them into another buffet.

You are right about the food and seating capacity. Thus, another reason to add WJ only as another dining choice when booking so that RCCL can judge how many will be in the MDR and how many will be in the WJ.

Having 3 options (MDR, MTD and WJ) can only help RCCL better plan usage of space and staff. I hope they add this at some point.

:)

Great thread. I just got off a 7-night Canada/NE cruise and this topic really hit home. I went by myself and had the late dinner seating. I had a great table, the other people were nice and funny, but 2+ hours for dinner really is too long for me. Especially by the end of the week, I really wished I had chosen MTD and just gone to the WJ. One night I scoped out the WJ, curious how crowded it was for dinner. It wasn't crowded at all - this was around 7:30; I'm guessing earlier, when I'd prefer to go, it was more crowded. But the selection of food looked fine; it's not as if the food quality in the MDR is so awesome.

Last year on my Bermuda cruise, I went with a group and we had the early seating in the MDR. The service was much faster, I'm sure because they need to get everyone out in time for the late seating. I definitely don't recall sitting there wondering what was taking the waiter so long, as I did on this recent cruise.

Great thread. I just got off a 7-night Canada/NE cruise and this topic really hit home. I went by myself and had the late dinner seating. I had a great table, the other people were nice and funny, but 2+ hours for dinner really is too long for me. Especially by the end of the week, I really wished I had chosen MTD and just gone to the WJ. One night I scoped out the WJ, curious how crowded it was for dinner. It wasn't crowded at all - this was around 7:30; I'm guessing earlier, when I'd prefer to go, it was more crowded. But the selection of food looked fine; it's not as if the food quality in the MDR is so awesome.

Last year on my Bermuda cruise, I went with a group and we had the early seating in the MDR. The service was much faster, I'm sure because they need to get everyone out in time for the late seating. I definitely don't recall sitting there wondering what was taking the waiter so long, as I did on this recent cruise.

I remember the same years ago when I still used the MDR. The one time I had late seating, the meal seemed to take longer. I would have thought the last seating would be rushed since the crew wants to clean up and close down as soon as possible. Shows what I know. :)

Over the past 13 cruises that my husband and I have gone on, a few of them we went with 2 or 3 other couples therefore making a large table of our own friends. When we don't cruise with our own group of people, my DH and I want to be seated with others....it does 2 things: it gives us the opportunity to meet a few other people and have some diverse conversation as well. Let's face it -- my hubby and I can have dinner with each other every night at home.

We have experienced both early dinner and the late seating -- we prefer the early. We have found service is quicker, and it gives us the opportunity to more leisurely enjoy the EVENING activities that happen after dinner. I don't need a 2 hour dinner, but a nice 60 minute dinner works for me....I rush enough at home, and on vacation, I want to enjoy more. Early dinner seating gives me enough of both!

Edited by Paulette3028

• 2 years later...

Just completed another very good cruise on Royal over Thanksgiving. DH and I don't like to be seated at a table for two (when we are home, most often we have dinner with just each other). Our strategy has been to send an email to rcldining@rccl.com. This department has been wonderful in putting us at a table of 8-12, so that we meet others on the ship and at dinner at least have fun conversations about what people have done that day or plan for the evening.

This past cruise was no different. Great results can be achieved through rcldining@rccl.

I don't believe RCI is moving away from seating people together who are not sailing together...they just don't know who is more open to being seated with strangers....so let them know, if that is what you want.

Just completed another very good cruise on Royal over Thanksgiving. DH and I don't like to be seated at a table for two (when we are home, most often we have dinner with just each other). Our strategy has been to send an email to rcldining@rccl.com. This department has been wonderful in putting us at a table of 8-12, so that we meet others on the ship and at dinner at least have fun conversations about what people have done that day or plan for the evening.

This past cruise was no different. Great results can be achieved through rcldining@rccl.

I don't believe RCI is moving away from seating people together who are not sailing together...they just don't know who is more open to being seated with strangers....so let them know, if that is what you want.

I also request our MDR table size through rcldining@rccl and we are always accommodated with our request for a table for two. I wish Celebrity had a dining request link.

We enjoy a table for 6 or 8 because we enjoy meeting people and in the past through our TA we let her know our table preferences, however she already knows so haven't said anything. If we ever sail the Oasis or Allure we will be sure and let her know.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

I also request our MDR table size through rcldining@rccl and we are always accommodated with our request for a table for two. I wish Celebrity had a dining request link.

I believe that the rcldining@rccl.com address will get you to people who handle the seating for the Celebrity line as well. This address goes to the parent company department for overall Food and Dining services, not just the Royal brand.

Part of the issue with seating strangers together, particularly on ships with many dining options, is that some may wish to take advantage of the other options leaving vacancies at the table. This can cause delay and disrupt serving when the absent passengers have not informed the other guests or staff that they will be absent.

Also, we must understand that onboard staff may only be telling us what they think we may want to hear. Or, they may just be misinformed.

Edited by RocketMan275

Part of the issue with seating strangers together, particularly on ships with many dining options, is that some may wish to take advantage of the other options leaving vacancies at the table. This can cause delay and disrupt serving when the absent passengers have not informed the other guests or staff that they will be absent.

Also, we must understand that onboard staff may only be telling us what they think we may want to hear. Or, they may just be misinformed.

It is considerate to tell you wait staff if you KNOW that you will not be dining in the MDR one evening because you are enjoying a dinner in a specialty restaurant. In this way they know not to wait for you. I consider it courtesy to the other cruisers as well. Simple solution.

We do it all the time; typically we eat at one specialty restaurant, Izumi, if it is onboard the ship we are sailing on.

We love the larger tables as well, just had a terrible experience on our last cruise 5 yrs ago on Explorer. We were seated at a table of 6 others and had our two kids with us. The six others were much older - and kept on and on about politics and bowel movement schedules to the point where we asked to be reseated. They couldn't help us move so we just did the windjammer henceforth. You can definitely tell what your table mates are going to be like within the first ten minutes of conversation.

We were just on Oasis last week and had asked to be seated at a large table in hopes to meet some new people. We ended up at a table for just our family of 4. When I asked the head waiter about moving tables, he said they were moving away from seating people with 'strangers' unless they are solo cruisers, as most couples and individual families are usually asking to be seated separately. He even mentioned that with all the new ships, they are being designed to accommodate more and more tables of 2 and 4, or pushed together for groups of 5 or 6, and the larger tables (8-12 people) are usually only used by people who are cruising as a group of 8-12 people.

While I was dissapointed to not have tablemates, I feel that Royal should move towards having only MTD, given all the specialty restaurants that are also available. I know now for my next cruise to book MTD and not hope for tablemates. Or that I should try to find tablemates in my roll call and reserve to be seated with them.

We always request a large table because like meeting new people. On our last cruise we were seated at a table for 4, so some nights it was just the 2 of us. I guess we'll just go with the flow from now on.

Since this thread has been resurrected, I'll throw in my two cents. I seem to be in the minority, but I have absolutely no desire to dine with people I don't know.

Whether it is just my husband and me sailing, or whether it is my husband, me and any number of our six young adult children sailing with us, we enjoy dining with just the family. Upon boarding, one of the first things we do is check our table in the MDR to make sure it is the size we've requested.

Even when we go to the MDR for breakfast, I always request a table for just the number in our party. We sometimes have to wait, but that's fine with us.

For us, vacation time is time to reconnect with family. Dining is an intimate experience. We don't eat on land with strangers and certainly don't find it appealing to eat at sea with strangers.

For those of you who have made lifelong friends in the dining room, how wonderful for you. It is just not our cup of tea.

Edited by KelJ

Nah, I'm with mema... it's just kind of a strange thing to do. :confused::cool:

What skin is it off your nose?

It's still relevant info. It's not like this thread is about the benefits of learning Morse Code for getting a job as a high-paying telegraph operator.

Over the last 7 cruises we have requested table for two, as we have been so disappointed with large tables where tablemates don't show up and feel like fools sitting alone with a large table. The straw that broke our back, was some years ago, we did a 13 day Medit. cruise and requested and seated at a table for 12, and guess what, on many nights it was us and Flemish couple

who spoke no English and we spoke no French.--it was very frustrating. By the way, on our Feb. Quantum cruise we asked for table for two and since the tables were close together we met and conversed with Paxs both to our right & left and did not have to yell across when dining at a large table.

I believe that the rcldining@rccl.com address will get you to people who handle the seating for the Celebrity line as well. This address goes to the parent company department for overall Food and Dining services, not just the Royal brand.

I'll check that out for our 3 April 2016 Celebrity Eclipse Cruise. Thanks for bring this thread back from the archives no matter what a couple of whiners posted. I didn't realize threads had an expiration date on them.

We, too, love tablemates....it's really the only part of dinner we look forward to nowadays....the company is always better than the food!

We are "empty-nesters" and eat almost EVERY meal together...just the 2 of us....so having others to share meals with is such a treat!

We were just on Oasis last week and had asked to be seated at a large table in hopes to meet some new people. We ended up at a table for just our family of 4. When I asked the head waiter about moving tables, he said they were moving away from seating people with 'strangers' unless they are solo cruisers, as most couples and individual families are usually asking to be seated separately. He even mentioned that with all the new ships, they are being designed to accommodate more and more tables of 2 and 4, or pushed together for groups of 5 or 6, and the larger tables (8-12 people) are usually only used by people who are cruising as a group of 8-12 people.

While I was dissapointed to not have tablemates, I feel that Royal should move towards having only MTD, given all the specialty restaurants that are also available. I know now for my next cruise to book MTD and not hope for tablemates. Or that I should try to find tablemates in my roll call and reserve to be seated with them.

Hope not, but can see a trend that way just naturally when you book all over the ship for dinner. We have enjoyed table mates for our cruises, but can attest that when we are booking an individual meal, we do not look to sit with others for one meal. Thus, as this trend moves forward, it like fixed dining in general will fade away.

I have never gone to a nice land based restaurant and asked to be seated with the next group coming in the restaurant as an example.

on our enchantment cruise last month and requested being sat with others during my time timing every evening, only were sat with one couple one evening the other three evenings were seated by ourselves.

last year same time frame we were seated at large tables with others every evening. this year was a disappointment for us.

the other thing is they try their hardest to get you to make reservations for my time. we dont like reservations - we never know what we may feel like doing.

i have suggested set dinging for our next cruise, we'll see. Or maybe if we give in and reserve every night we'll be seated with others?