Diamond Drinks Trial?

Be happy if they are:) but I very much doubt it seeing how much is consumed on the TA's:(, think this is a way for them to reduce overall consumption.

I think this is detrimental to the loyalty program and it could backfire.

RCCL has one of the best loyalty programs around and this could leave a nasty taste in peoples mouths.

Interesting the Ops email states

"A nightly happy hour from 5:00 - 8:00pm to be enjoyed at almost every venue throughout the ship!*"

With most of the MDR second seating starting at 8.30, this will restrict the number of people that will still have a drink to carry into the dining room, 30 minutes later. :eek:

I like the idea as it will enable us to drink with friends that might not have access to the DL or CL.

Just back from 11 nights on Celebrity Solstice, and the voucher system was used on that cruise. Each Elite (D or D+ equivalent) member received 3 vouchers everyday, and they were dated. They could be used in most bars--but not MDR or Windjammer or specialty restaurants--and they were redeemable only for simple mixed drinks (nothing foo-foo), beer or wine. Also anytime you ordered a drink in the Elite Lounge, you had to use a voucher. So it was definitely NOT 3 vouchers PLUS complimentary drinks in the Elite Lounge.

The system worked well, but I wondered why you could only use the vouchers between 5:00 and 7:00 pm. The time restriction did cause some bars to become quite crowded during those two hours. If the reason for issuing vouchers is to decrease congestion, why not make them good for the whole day? Some people might want a mimosa with brunch, or a beer & a burger at lunch.

Just back from 11 nights on Celebrity Solstice, and the voucher system was used on that cruise. Each Elite (D or D+ equivalent) member received 3 vouchers everyday, and they were dated. They could be used in most bars--but not MDR or Windjammer or specialty restaurants--and they were redeemable only for simple mixed drinks (nothing foo-foo), beer or wine. Also anytime you ordered a drink in the Elite Lounge, you had to use a voucher. So it was definitely NOT 3 vouchers PLUS complimentary drinks in the Elite Lounge.

The system worked well, but I wondered why you could only use the vouchers between 5:00 and 7:00 pm. The time restriction did cause some bars to become quite crowded during those two hours. If the reason for issuing vouchers is to decrease congestion, why not make them good for the whole day? Some people might want a mimosa with brunch, or a beer & a burger at lunch.

Thanks for the info. I guess it makes sense that you wold also have to use the vouchers in the lounge.

I don't know why they would limit the hours that you can use them either:rolleyes:

Just heard from someone who received this email from RCCL regarding the Diamond Lounge.

You asked – we listened! Often we hear great ideas from our Crown & Anchor Society members that we are able to bring into action.During your upcoming transatlantic voyage onboard the Independence of the Seas®, you will be part of a pilot test to enhance the Loyalty experience onboard.We understand at times the Diamond lounge can be crowded, so we are excited to introduce a new option for you aboard the Independence of the Seas: A nightly happy hour from 5:00 - 8:00pm to be enjoyed at almost every venue throughout the ship!*

How? Free drink vouchers will be pre-loaded onto your SeaPass® card to enable you to enjoy the flexibility of up to three complimentary beverages at almost every bar throughout the ship. You can still sit back and relax while enjoying all of the amenities in the Diamond Lounge, plus all of the other options available to you!We look forward to hearing your feedback about this new experience and wish you a wonderful cruise holiday.Happy sailing!

very nice. looking forward to see if this continues.

I'm wondering if the DL will even serve drinks? I'm reading this as, if you would like to get a drink and bring it to the DL you could and sit with like minded people as someone posted.:confused: I think it could be set up like on my Brilliance cruise where the CL was open but only for 'quiet time' and coffee. Never were any drinks or evening munchies served in there.

How did celebrity do it on the TA's?? Was that lounge still serving drinks and doing vouchers??

We were on the Brilliance Oct 6-13. The diamond lounge was set up just as the CL. They had hot snacks and mixed drinks. We had the option of either lounge. The lounges are in the Viking crown area.

I'm wondering if the DL will even serve drinks? I'm reading this as, if you would like to get a drink and bring it to the DL you could and sit with like minded people as someone posted.:confused: I think it could be set up like on my Brilliance cruise where the CL was open but only for 'quiet time' and coffee. Never were any drinks or evening munchies served in there.

How did celebrity do it on the TA's?? Was that lounge still serving drinks and doing vouchers??

Correct me if I am wrong. Are your saying your Brilliance cruise this year 2013 did not have cocktails in the evening in the CL?:eek:

I think these boards would have lit up like a Christmas tree if we knew this.

Correct me if I am wrong. Are your saying your Brilliance cruise this year 2013 did not have cocktails in the evening in the CL?:eek:

I think these boards would have lit up like a Christmas tree if we knew this.

The CL was called a quiet area and was available for coffee. Drinks were served in the Hollywood Odyssey lounge. The concierge was in the CL on deck 10 during his hours for any help you needed and only popped in to the H.O. if he had time.

That's why I asked how Celebrity did it and seems they did serve drinks in the lounge but still had to show your card.

When I was on Brilliance it did not have an official DL. It has gone through the Royal advantage enhancements since my sailing!! Yes, the diamond event, at that time was right across from the happy hour.

I think by now, the old CL is a family stateroom!! And if I remember correctly-with a very small balcony!!!:eek:

Edited to say-Oh yes, you got that right ShipRiders. A riot would of evolved on this board. lol I was just stating that even though there was an official CL-it did not serve drinks. that's why I was trying to find out if drinks would still be served with the voucher system in the DL and finding out how celebrity did it would give a hint to the answer.

Edited by Debde

I think this is detrimental to the loyalty program and it could backfire.

RCCL has one of the best loyalty programs around and this could leave a nasty taste in peoples mouths.

People said the same thing when the diamond members benefits were reduced by eliminating concierge access. Apparently that nasty taste had no after taste. All of the changes seem to be met with negativity - briefly. It seems a new change is being tested. And it will possibly be tweaked.

Gina

I'm not sure if everyone realises but this is not just about the 3 drinks in any bar around the ship. That is just a smoke screen :cool:, what we will be losing is the overflow lounges for the Diamond and Concierge lounges.:eek:

As I'm sure you all know,

normally when there is a large number of Diamond and above on board they open the Olive & Twist or the Pyramid lounges (on the Indy) to accommodate the large numbers.

Well we will be losing that and be restricted to the small Diamond lounge or Concierge lounge and 3 drinks per night in the normal ships bars.

Sorry guys this is just another cost cutting exercise by Royals finance department.:mad:

Dave

(Diamond plus)

I'm not sure if everyone realises but this is not just about the 3 drinks in any bar around the ship. That is just a smoke screen :cool:, what we will be losing is the overflow lounges for the Diamond and Concierge lounges.:eek:

As I'm sure you all know,

normally when there is a large number of Diamond and above on board they open the Olive & Twist or the Pyramid lounges (on the Indy) to accommodate the large numbers.

Well we will be losing that and be restricted to the small Diamond lounge or Concierge lounge and 3 drinks per night in the normal ships bars.

Sorry guys this is just another cost cutting exercise by Royals finance department.:mad:

Dave

(Diamond plus)

Hmm, interesting point. So chair hogging might start at 2p.m. in the D&C lounges for the 5p.m. social hour? With 700+ Diamond/D+/Pinnacles on TAs, bar stool hogging starts at - lets say- 3p.m. in the various bars onboard:D

Present "status" deck chair hoggers truly have an unfair advantage over late risers. They know all the book/towel/sunscreen and whatever tricks and apply them with slight variations to Dl/CL and bars.....:eek:

Edited by christi1805

Err I think the main reason the negativity was brief, was the quick turnaround and introduction of the Diamond event, and the introduction of Diamond Lounges, which many people said would be too small too quickly.

This has proved to be correct, and the new trial policy is the next move on, which if successful may well result in the DLounge becoming the D+ Lounge, and the CL being returned to the Suite Guests.

People said the same thing when the diamond members benefits were reduced by eliminating concierge access. Apparently that nasty taste had no after taste. All of the changes seem to be met with negativity - briefly. It seems a new change is being tested. And it will possibly be tweaked.

Gina

This has proved to be correct, and the new trial policy is the next move on, which if successful may well result in the DLounge becoming the D+ Lounge, and the CL being returned to the Suite Guests.

I guess I look at it differently. I then see the D's having a far better deal being able to get a drink almost anywhere on the ship and be able to drink it anywhere with anyone. ;) Personal preference will play a huge part in this possible change as to what we could read here and what could be bombarded to corporate via e-mail. I will say, what and if it changes, not to many D's will leave Royal, the hunt will be on to become D+ if it really bugs you, and that's exactly what corporate will want.

I've always thought, at some point they may have to make some distinction between a D and a D+ as to on board perks to keep the consumer in the hunt to move up a loyalty ladder.

Err I think the main reason the negativity was brief, was the quick turnaround and introduction of the Diamond event, and the introduction of Diamond Lounges, which many people said would be too small too quickly.

Exactly! People will flip out and then suddenly get over it when what was taken away is replaced with something to make them get over it. At first the 3 drink coupons will make people unhappy when they are booted out of the DL. Then RCI will say something like, OK, you can use the coupons any time of day. And here are a few specialty coffee coupons to make up for the loss of the self serve machine. And maybe they will even give back the priority guest services line on all the ships - like they have on Carnival. ;)

Just some thoughts - people do get over the changes and don't stop cruising when benefits are reduced.

Gina

I guess I look at it differently. I then see the D's having a far better deal being able to get a drink almost anywhere on the ship and be able to drink it anywhere with anyone. ;) Personal preference will play a huge part in this possible change as to what we could read here and what could be bombarded to corporate via e-mail. I will say, what and if it changes, not to many D's will leave Royal, the hunt will be on to become D+ if it really bugs you, and that's exactly what corporate will want.

I've always thought, at some point they may have to make some distinction between a D and a D+ as to on board perks to keep the consumer in the hunt to move up a loyalty ladder.

I agree with this. :D And especially the part in red.

Gina

I don't see this as a cost cutting move by RCI at all. In fact I think that this would be considered an added benefit that will end up costing them more.

Currently the lounges get crowded and they use the overflow lounges however these can still get crowded and many will simply not attend just to get a free basic drink or if they do go they may only have one or two glasses of wine.

With every Diamond and above now getting 3 drinks per evening that they can get at any bar and enjoy anywhere I think that more Diamonds will take advantage of this and they will end up giving out a lot more free drinks in the long run.

I think you may be right.

Exactly! People will flip out and then suddenly get over it when what was taken away is replaced with something to make them get over it. At first the 3 drink coupons will make people unhappy when they are booted out of the DL. Then RCI will say something like, OK, you can use the coupons any time of day. And here are a few specialty coffee coupons to make up for the loss of the self serve machine. And maybe they will even give back the priority guest services line on all the ships - like they have on Carnival. ;)

Just some thoughts - people do get over the changes and don't stop cruising when benefits are reduced.

Gina

I know we will continue.

Did they say which drinks are allowed?

From the similar thread on the Celebrity board, it appears that, at least over there, it is something that varies from ship to ship.

On some cruises, it is strictly what is on the drink menu from the Elite event (similar to the RC choices). On other cruises it has been any drink up to $8, with some bars including frozen drinks.

Of course this all goes back to the endless argument of which is more important, the drinks or the social aspect of the lounge. While I prefer having a dedicated or overflow lounge, there are lots of pros and cons, and I think RC will feel their way, trying to please the greatest number of Loyal to Royals.

Seems to me the drink coupons should eliminate a lot of the "I'm D/D+ but my cabinmate isn't, can they join me" issues...now if you are traveling with a non D/D+ member you can still take advantage of the free drinks without leaving your friend sitting outside....

Gina

EXACTLY, Gina! I got blasted on another thread because I advocate for adapting to changes rather than complaining about them. This is a trial right now, so it will be interesting to see the "final product".

Personally, I am happy to be able to go anywhere on the ship, have the pre-dinner drink with my non-Diamond friend, have the option to go in for snacks in the DL or CL, all of the above. I see this as adding a great deal of flexibility to the evening's activities.

Not to mention if I want to be somewhere not close to the overflow, DL, or CL lounges, I can get a drink close to wherever I am.

Maybe I just a chronic half full glass person!

EXACTLY, Gina! I got blasted on another thread because I advocate for adapting to changes rather than complaining about them. This is a trial right now, so it will be interesting to see the "final product".

Personally, I am happy to be able to go anywhere on the ship, have the pre-dinner drink with my non-Diamond friend, have the option to go in for snacks in the DL or CL, all of the above. I see this as adding a great deal of flexibility to the evening's activities.

Not to mention if I want to be somewhere not close to the overflow, DL, or CL lounges, I can get a drink close to wherever I am.

Maybe I just a chronic half full glass person!

I'd love to be given the option of accepting 3 coupons a night for use in most bars. DH and I would jump on that one. We tend to go out to one of the bars during CL evening time anyway. And like you said, especially when there are non CL friends on board it would be a great option. I can see this having a very positive impact if it were implemented fleet-wide.

You got blasted? Imagine that. ;)

Gina

Edited by mommabean

Seems to me the drink coupons should eliminate a lot of the "I'm D/D+ but my cabinmate isn't, can they join me" issues...now if you are traveling with a non D/D+ member you can still take advantage of the free drinks without leaving your friend sitting outside....

Excellent point.