Diamond Drinks Trial?

Think this is a very cool thing! :)

Hopefully, it'll go smoothly on the IOTS during its trial (without too many complaints, because you just know that there'll be some complaints) and would then be rolled out fleet wide.

This is a great way to alleviate some of the overcrowding, and also it'll be nice to have the option of using the DL/CL or, if the notion hits, going to another bar/lounge.

We will be D after our cruise next week. We can not wait. There are several perks we like. Free drinks is one of them. I just hope this is not the beginning of limiting D perks. I think 3 drinks in an evening is more than enough for me. :p

We are also looking forward to meeting people in the lounge.

What I like is the ability to take my drink or glass of wine to dinner with me now, since I would be getting one outside of the DL or CL. That's a great improvement.

I also like the idea of being able to go to other bars and lounges, too. I have a girlfriend cruise booked next year (she's Platinum), and it will be nice to go with her to other bars and have the vouchers on my card.

I hope this goes fleetwide.

Well we will be in IOS in DEC so maybe they will keep it going since we'll be on there with DW's parents and they are first time cruisers... so we can have a drink with them...

I think from reading all the post that the three drinks are only good during the Happy Hour and they are in addition too use of the Diamond Lounge....

so like me (when it's in effect) you cans stop by the Lounge, have a drink and then stop at a bar (and get one to go) to take to the MDR.... that will work...

while you may sit in the DL for the whole with, and some people drink more than three while they are in there.... they are just a way to help with the over crowding that occurs sometimes. have been there when it's almost empty and completely full, and had to go to a different location, because the lounge would not accommodate all the people eligible on board...

Hope it goes well and yes people will complain they always do...

Very interesting. I wonder if they are using this to see if they can reduce demand in the DL. Upsides; you can now travel with your drink, and of course you can try different venues and areas.

Downsides; if they see this as revenue positive I bet D's get kicked out the DL and it becomes for D+. I wonder if being Diamond now means you get 3 drinks per night instead of unlimited + food in the lounge. I would not be surprised if this happens.

But for NOW it is an ehnancement, sounds good!

THE FOLLOWING WAS NOT INCLUDED IN THE OP'S POST and may help clarify.

*3 drink vouchers per day will be applied to each eligible Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members' corresponding SeaPass cards. Drinks cannot be redeemed in the dining room, specialty restaurants, Champagne Bar or Windjammer Café.

Edited by beachnative

*3 drink vouchers per day will be applied to each eligible Diamond, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members' corresponding SeaPass cards. Drinks cannot be redeemed in the dining room, specialty restaurants, Champagne Bar or Windjammer Café.

Thanks for the clarification.

Now I'm wondering if they will let the drink vouchers accumulate. If one uses only 2 drink vouchers one day, would they have 4 to use the next day.

Now I'm wondering if they will let the drink vouchers accumulate. If one uses only 2 drink vouchers one day, would they have 4 to use the next day.

Wow, 13 nights x 3 drinks per night.......I could have one heck of a night at the end of the cruise.....and a horrible hangover while disembarking.:D:eek::eek:

I think this will me mostly applied to Transatlantics where you have tons of Diamonds & Diamonds+

Yes, wondering if this will continue as a trial on Indy after TA? We cruise the 2nd 8 nighter once in FL (over Thanksgiving) and although I love the DL and meeting/chatting with folks (esp on Freedom Class with the windows) it would be really nice to grab a glass of wine at a bar and take it to dinner!

Can't wait to see if it's after the TA!! Thanks for posting!

It says it's a Pilot Test because there will be so many Ds and above on the TA. This makes sense because there will be so many. It will be interesting to see if they are going to do the Pilot Test on other TAs. I'm on the Navigator TA Nov. 10. I know there will be bunches of D and above. We haven't gotten anything about it, but we leave 8 days later. I wonder if there is a $$ limit on it. I would like to use it for some frozen drinks:)

As noted, this is done on many Celebrity cruises and wish it was done on our last Celebrity cruise. If the programs are similar, it is 3 drinks per person per night, they cannot be carried over if not used and can be used at most bars for the same type of drinks available on the Elite Cocktail hour. No fancy "mixology" drinks and no frozen drinks. Not sure how RCCL will handle the specifics.

To answer a few posts, it is "Just" three a night. Was that a real concern? In any case, what I like is that you really don't have to have the drink at the bar. You can order it and take it anywhere including back to the cabin or even the dining room. You cannot order it in the dining room, but you can take a drink in there that you ordered from the bar.

Sometimes we don't have time for a drink in the lounge so now we can get the drink and head to whatever venue we want.

I see it as a great perk and hope it makes it to other ships and itineraries. The lounge is a still there for those who want to meet and chat with other D and above cruisers. Those who prefer a different environment, or are traveling with others who do not have the lounge benefit can now have evening cocktails together.

Anxious to hear how it works and passenger reaction.

M

last years repo, Boston to Tampa on Jewel they tested this due to high volume of d+ and pins on board. Was open from 5-8 at most bars. No limit!:) D's still had their free wine in the viking crown lounge and discounted beer.

Edited by Rockfordcruiser

Thanks for pointing that out I missed the asterix bit in small writing at the bottom, my apologies.

We had this voucher system on the Eclipse earlier this year and loved it. It was particularly good for us as Celebrity insist that you 'dress up' to go to the lounge and their hours are very early for us late diners.

It was used on Celebrity when a certain number of Elite members were due to sail (I think it may have been 500), so TA's and Eclipse 14 night Caribbean sailings (which are very popular). It seems that this is what RC will be doing too.

There was a lot of complaining about the voucher system on the Celebrity boards, mainly because people argued that they wanted to sit with 'like-minded' people in a lounge environment. It seems that if that's what you want, you still have that choice with RC. And it's nice to see such a positive response on here from RC cruisers :)

From our point of view it was great to be able to get a cocktail to drink on our balcony or to grab a drink to take into the show. They are VERY strict in the Elite lounge about taking drinks out.

As was pointed out, if it's the same as the X system we had 3 drinks a day, only for that day and only during the normal happy hours.

Edited by Bobal

last years repo, Boston to Tampa on Jewel they tested this due to high volume of d+ and pins on board. Was open from 5-8 at most bars. No limit!:) D's still had their free wine in the viking crown lounge and discounted beer.

And the Jewel offered the same on the repo from Tampa to San Juan this year, too.

If it works same way as Celebrity did, it will be 3 Drinks per night, unused vouchers cannot be carried over according to friends.

LIKE!!! Royal I hope you are reading this thread!!! I think I will shoot an email to corporate and tell them it is a great idea!!! Maybe if more folks do that it might help( or it can't hurt) in an effort to roll it out fleetwide!!!:D

Interesting. Wonder if they mean three every night, or three in each bar or three total an all bars. Not sure I understand the restrictions if they plan to do this. Many ships now use overflow space when the numbers are large and currently the drinks in the lounge (or overflow) are unlimited during the cocktail hours.

IMO they should simplify this and if they want to accommodate a large number of D / D+ / Pinnacle on board a given ship, just have the same service as provided in the Diamond Club at any bar during those hours by showing you SeaPass, which of course has your C & A level printed on it.

Three drinks per night loaded onto your Seapass card, available at most venues, end of story. If you must have more than three cocktails you go to the DL or CL whatever your status may be.