My husband lost his ID today and we fly out next Friday!

cruisecritiquer

Just a quick thank you for sharing your troubles and especially the above post. It actually sounds like your household works as a partnership...with two cooperating heads of household! Wonderful!

I was so happy to read about your upgrade and so sorry to read about this terribly stressful situation you (and your husband!) are working so hard to fix. At the end of it all, I hope you and yours have the best and suitest cruise ever!!

All the best to all of you!

Thank you. It has been stressful. Whew! But, as you said we have a way of working things out together. I'm thankful for that. Now, I'm looking forward to our upgrade. :)

Girl, you don't need to apologize to anyone that's posting negative comments! You are doing what needs to be done for your family...whether it's you, him, or both of you working to solve the problem...it isn't anyone else's place to post a negative comment on here. So glad things are working out!!!

I would have felt EXACTLY the same way if my husband came home with all of that stuff but without his id! Have a great cruise!!

Hahaha. Thank you! I don't mind answering so long as I don't think I'm being baited by someone who is just trying to be rude/mean.

Not true. We just did the Sun 10/9-10/20 and had to do immigration in St. Thomas, our last port before returning to Miami.

According to NCL's website, no passport is needed for any Caribbean cruise that begins and ends at the same port. From their site:

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For round-trip sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with either a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document.

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

State certified U.S. birth certificate

Original certificate of U.S. naturalization

Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

Hi, first of all, I truly hope your husband will be able to board the ship with you this weekend now that you upgraded to a suite. I hope you will still board if your husband cannot.

We have been on the Epic 3 times and loved her. I hope you will, too.

Secondly, I cannot leave this thread without warning you that you may definitely need passports for your next cruise - the Pearl one visiting Aruba and Curacao - because it's not a closed loop (and a long cruise) and you'll be visiting those 2 distant ports and you will be subject to go thru the US Immigration in St. Thomas before heading to Miami.

So please get yourselves passports ......

Fingers crossed, anyway for the outcome this weekend.

We (Me and DS) have passports. He's the one who didn't take off work to go to the post office to apply. :rolleyes: I'm sure he's kicking himself about that now. We'll definitely take care of that when we return.

However, our cruise is still closed loop and all of the places we are visiting are covered under the WHTI so a passport is not required. Still, your advice is sound. :)

Edited by cruisecritiquer

I hope it all works out for you and I hope hubby treats you to a spa day for stressing you out so close to your trip.

Safe travels to you and your family.

That's a great idea. I think I'll milk this situation a bit. ;)

I appreciate EVERYONE'S supportive comments! I really do. Actually venting here and reading the ideas here helped it to be a little easier to get through the day. I learned some important information that will hopefully make getting through TSA and CBP a little easier. Thanks everyone!

This also was very helpful and thanks to whomever pointed me to this blog. :)

http://blog.tsa.gov/2013/04/tsa-travel-tips-tuesday-can-you-fly.html

I hope our issues help someone else know what to do and I'll let you guys know exactly how much interrogation he had to go through while there. I told him earlier that I read online if you have no ID they do a body cavity search. I know...I know....bad DW. LOL

Not true. We just did the Sun 10/9-10/20 and had to do immigration in St. Thomas, our last port before returning to Miami.

According to NCL's website, no passport is needed for any Caribbean cruise that begins and ends at the same port. From their site:

Caribbean, Bahamas, Bermuda, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, Or Canada & New England Cruises

For round-trip sailings (cruises that depart from and return to the same U.S. port), you may sail with either a valid passport, proof of citizenship and a valid government-issued photo I.D. (driver’s license with a photo), or any other WHTI compliant document.

Proof of Citizenship examples include:

State certified U.S. birth certificate

Original certificate of U.S. naturalization

Original certificate of U.S. citizenship

If you'll refer to the original post I was quoting, NJHorseman said that no immigration check is required in St. Thomas... I told him we just had one on our 10/9 Sun sailing. We weren't talking about documents required at the immigration check. ;)

WHEW, that had me stressed just reading it LOL. I hope it all ends well for ya, sure it will.

I am such a worrier on losing ID's that I ordered an extra for my

husband and myself. I kept it with the BC's. Now that we have

passports, I keep the extra ID with the passports.

I have to say GO PANTHERS! Husband and I were at the BOA

Stadium for yesterdays game!

I wasn't there. I stayed home to do homework so he took a friend of ours. I should have paid you to babysit. :D

Extra ID's are a good idea!

We (Me and DS) have passports. He's the one who didn't take off work to go to the post office to apply. :rolleyes: I'm sure he's kicking himself about that now. We'll definitely take care of that when we return.

However, our cruise is still closed loop and all of the places we are visiting are covered under the WHTI so a passport is not required. Still, your advice is sound. :)

By all means encourage DH to get that passport.

We both always travel with our passports, even shorter trips or strictly domestic trips.

Hey, one never knows. We might be heading to Aspen or San Francisco, and suddenly get an urge to go to Paris :D.

Well, we OFTEN get an urge to go to Paris.

Thus far, we've never - YET! - done it on a spur of the moment basis, however. But you know the old Girl Scout motto: "Be Prepared". It could happen...

And with all of this discussion of "surprises", I guess the question is do I surprise DH or does he surprise me? Either would be just great! :)

GeezerCouple

Oh my I hope it goes well for you. This happened to us in Hawaii a few years ago. My husband!s wallet was stolen. He had to show the police report to get home. We since do have more than one ID( passports) and keep things separate. We also put a safe in the floor and keep passports there when not traveling.

Good luck! Enjoy your cruise.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

OMG, I just read all this and I way through and was dying a thousand deaths with you!

So hope you have no problems with your trip after this! You deserve that upgrade now, so hope you enjoy.

Just a bit of information: if time is not of the essence, you can go to the government site, fill out the passport application and print it out and mail it in. That's what DH and I have done twice now, for the original and the renewal. You have to send in your original documentation, but they send it back. Our renewals only took about 3 weeks this last time. So your DH doesn't have to take off work to take care of it, there is another option.

You can believe I'll be checking this thread every day to see the latest; here's hoping that his wallet is found, even if any cash is missing, the most important thing is that darn driver's license! But so glad he remembered he still has that old one; I'm betting there will not be any problem using it to get through TSA.

GOOD LUCK!

Edited by planma'am

This stuff happens at the worst time. I'm glad things seem to be working out.

I had my purse stolen and getting replacement items was such a pain but having my passport meant I could take care of it same day. It's been said before but passports make things easier.

The plane ride is easier to get on, it is the cruise and leaving the country that would have been your problem. A valid ID with an old address will be just what you need. Happy sailing!

So glas you were able to get a plan in place!!

I will 2nd,3rd,4th,5th the ones that said you do not need an ID to get on a plane domestically. I worked for an airline for 6 yrs and now work as a travel agent.

You'd be amazed at the number of people that lose their IDs right before they travel. I've never had any one denied. The license will not be scanned at the checkpoint.

Have a fantastic cruise!!!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Forums mobile app

I'm curious about your exact itinerary. Did the cruise call on any port other than the typical Caribbean islands?

That's probably because they did not call any ports outside US (territories) before disembarking, and why the immigration was done at that time - at the first US port. After that there is no separate immigration clearance needed in Miami, just customs as usual when exiting the terminal (we have done this too when we called Key West day before returning to Miami).

Cruisecritiquer,

I have been lurking around a number of threads, garnering info for our upcoming cruise, and had noticed how often you popped up with kind and helpful advice to fellow-CCers on a range of topics. So, I was very sorry to hear about your dramas with DH's ID.

As an Aussie, I can't offer any useful advice for solving your issue, although I think you seem to have the problem well in hand. I just wanted to acknowledge your evident grace under pressure, wish you all the best at the airport and port, and trust that you will have a fantastic cruise.

Cheers!

Feel your pain as you don't need the extra stress before a cruise. Sounds like everything is going to work out for you.

We had a incident with one of my friends on my Oct 22nd cruise. My friend, who was traveling with another group, decided to pack his passport in his checked luggage. The cruise line would not allow him on the ship until the passport was found.

He was with 2 other friends who met me on the boat and told me that he was in the terminal being denied boarding. He is 84 years old and has memory issues. The ship was leaving at 4pm, his bag finally showed up in the room at 3pm. After checking the bag we managed to find his passport. At that point, I called customer service and told them that we needed to find him. They told us we had to wait until after the muster drill which took us to about 3.40pm. I managed to get a supervisor to take it seriously and with about 10 minutes to spare they managed to locate him after we showed them we had his passport. He was less stressed than we were as he came on the boat laughing.

I am pretty sure you need non-expired ID to board the ship. Did you happen to see the TV show where they actually denied some passengers access to the ship? I would call NCL and ask them exactly what you could bring to get on. I thought you always needed a passport for cruising. I hope you found the license.

I am pretty sure you need non-expired ID to board the ship. Did you happen to see the TV show where they actually denied some passengers access to the ship? I would call NCL and ask them exactly what you could bring to get on. I thought you always needed a passport for cruising. I hope you found the license.

The ID he has expires in 2017, it just doesn't have the right address on it. Passports aren't needed for US citizens traveling on a closed loop cruise (a cruise that leaves from and returns to the same US city and travels within the Western Hemisphere) and there are other documentation choices available (such as a government issued photo ID and a government issued birth certificate).

For those reading this thread that either need a new passport or need to renew, my wife and I renewed ours last month and got them back in 12 days with no expedite on them. That may just be because we have a passport office in Dallas, which is 30 minutes away, but I've heard that all applications have to go to Philadelphia first to process the payment before they are sent to the local offices for final processing.

Edited by RZ3