My husband lost his ID today and we fly out next Friday!

cruisecritiquer

I think many of us are curious that you haven't express more concern about getting on the actual ship...or have I missed that you already have a plan for that? :confused: Either way, I wish you well.

He needs an ID and birth certificate to get on the ship which we have. I contacted CBP to ask them about this (see previous post that you quoted). What plan would we need if he has an ID and CBP said he would be fine with that ID and birth certificate?

Edited by cruisecritiquer

I haven't flown in years but what do they compare the address on the ID to?? Same as for getting on the ship? I thought they were just comparing name and birthdate to the name and birthdate on the birth certificate? Am I having forgetting something??? :confused:

I don't know that they compare them to anything. I was just trying to think of anything that might be a hiccup. I don't ever recall them doing address verification so the ID with our old address may be just fine. :)

There are some services that go to DMV or even a passport agency to get you a replacement document. They aren't cheap but worth it in the long run.

BTW why are you so mad. He is the one who lost them he should be the one who replaces them. OK I will mind by own biz.

I don't know that they compare them to anything. I was just trying to think of anything that might be a hiccup. I don't ever recall them doing address verification so the ID with our old address may be just fine. :)

Ahh gotcha! Good luck and it sounds like you've got your bases covered!

There are some services that go to DMV or even a passport agency to get you a replacement document. They aren't cheap but worth it in the long run.

BTW why are you so mad. He is the one who lost them he should be the one who replaces them. OK I will mind by own biz.

I'm the one that put this out there right? So far be it from me to tell you to mind your own business although I will set boundaries if I feel like someone is being purposely argumentative/coy. I don't think that's your MO though. :)

I was mad yesterday because of the situation. He came home with his credit cards, his panther booklet, and a t-shirt he caught and no ID. I was like how could you manage to bring all of that home and leave your ID. *DW throws hands up in the air* Obviously, no one wants to start off their vacation with stress. :o But, I don't stay mad long because who can live like that so instead I try to be proactive and do what I can. ;)

When there is a problem we both do everything we can to resolve it. :) I think because DH is not on this forum giving a play by play of what he's done, it is assumed that he's off taking a nap somewhere. ;) He's at work, just like I am and making calls (digging up info) when he can. He just isn't reporting back to this thread about it. I suppose I understand where some of you are coming from if you thought I was the only one doing all the leg work but in my home, we don't just say...oh you did such n such...that's your problem...you better fix it. We work together to take care of it. That's just the way we do things and that is what works for us. If it were something I lost I know he'd do everything to help me find it because well...I've lost things before as well and never did he say...not my problem. Anyway, what's a family vacation without the head of the household? :cool:

Just in case anyone missed it. He has an ID, it's not expired, but it is an ID with our old address on it (same city/state). Hopefully this and backup documentation is enough to get past TSA. I called the CBP in Miami as well and I think we're good. I'll post when we get through all the screening just to let those who are concerned know that we made it okay. Thanks for everything.

As long as the ID isn't expired, the ID with the wrong address should be all he would need to board a plane. I don't recall my ID ever being scanned so they wouldn't have any way of knowing he had a new one issued, so I think if he shows the ID he should be perfectly fine. One suggestion though, I only offer the ID (with the wrong address), if it then causes a hiccup I would have him then bring out the rest of the backup documentation.

Hopefully the new ID comes in the mail or the old one (with the correct address) is able to be located. Either way I wish you a wonderful and stress free trip!

As long as the ID isn't expired, the ID with the wrong address should be all he would need to board a plane. I don't recall my ID ever being scanned so they wouldn't have any way of knowing he had a new one issued, so I think if he shows the ID he should be perfectly fine. One suggestion though, I only offer the ID (with the wrong address), if it then causes a hiccup I would have him then bring out the rest of the backup documentation.

Hopefully the new ID comes in the mail or the old one (with the correct address) is able to be located. Either way I wish you a wonderful and stress free trip!

That is what I recall as well. I don't remember it being swiped. I just recall some type of light shined on the ID probably to verify that it's not a fake. If that's the case we should be fine. And you are absolutely right. Those additional documents will stay tucked away in our carry-ons unless it becomes an issue. :)

I live in NY and if your address changes, you can just write it in on the back of your driver's license. I did this. It eventually smeared off. I flew over a dozen times with this license with no issues. The chances of doing an address compare are pretty thin.

Like mentioned above, have the backup documents, but don't bring them out unless necessary. I'm pretty sure they won't be necessary. I just flew on Monday and the only thing they did to my ID (besides looking at my name) is to shine the light on it to make sure it wasn't fake.

The only hiccup I could possible foresee is if they do scan it in some way and find out it another one has been issued. That's when you can bring out your back-up documentation.

I think you will be fine. Enjoy the trip and I'm looking forward to hearing about it since we are doing the same itinerary in the same cabin category in January.

I'm the one that put this out there right? So far be it from me to tell you to mind your own business although I will set boundaries if I feel like someone is being purposely argumentative/coy. I don't think that's your MO though. :)

I was mad yesterday because of the situation. He came home with his credit cards, his panther booklet, and a t-shirt he caught and no ID. I was like how could you manage to bring all of that home and leave your ID. *DW throws hands up in the air* Obviously, no one wants to start off their vacation with stress. :o But, I don't stay mad long because who can live like that so instead I try to be proactive and do what I can. ;)

When there is a problem we both do everything we can to resolve it. :) I think because DH is not on this forum giving a play by play of what he's done, it is assumed that he's off taking a nap somewhere. ;) He's at work, just like I am and making calls (digging up info) when he can. He just isn't reporting back to this thread about it. I suppose I understand where some of you are coming from if you thought I was the only one doing all the leg work but in my home, we don't just say...oh you did such n such...that's your problem...you better fix it. We work together to take care of it. That's just the way we do things and that is what works for us. If it were something I lost I know he'd do everything to help me find it because well...I've lost things before as well and never did he say...not my problem. Anyway, what's a family vacation without the head of the household? :cool:

Just a quick thank you for sharing your troubles and especially the above post. It actually sounds like your household works as a partnership...with two cooperating heads of household! Wonderful!

I was so happy to read about your upgrade and so sorry to read about this terribly stressful situation you (and your husband!) are working so hard to fix. At the end of it all, I hope you and yours have the best and suitest cruise ever!!

All the best to all of you!

Just in case anyone missed it. He has an ID, it's not expired, but it is an ID with our old address on it (same city/state). Hopefully this and backup documentation is enough to get past TSA. I called the CBP in Miami as well and I think we're good. I'll post when we get through all the screening just to let those who are concerned know that we made it okay. Thanks for everything.

We are on this cruise with you... I hope to see you on the ship :o

Girl, you don't need to apologize to anyone that's posting negative comments! You are doing what needs to be done for your family...whether it's you, him, or both of you working to solve the problem...it isn't anyone else's place to post a negative comment on here. So glad things are working out!!!

I would have felt EXACTLY the same way if my husband came home with all of that stuff but without his id! Have a great cruise!!

Hi, first of all, I truly hope your husband will be able to board the ship with you this weekend now that you upgraded to a suite. I hope you will still board if your husband cannot.

We have been on the Epic 3 times and loved her. I hope you will, too.

Secondly, I cannot leave this thread without warning you that you may definitely need passports for your next cruise - the Pearl one visiting Aruba and Curacao - because it's not a closed loop (and a long cruise) and you'll be visiting those 2 distant ports and you will be subject to go thru the US Immigration in St. Thomas before heading to Miami.

So please get yourselves passports ......

Fingers crossed, anyway for the outcome this weekend.

Edited by bluesea777

Hi, first of all, I truly hope your husband will be able to board the ship with you this weekend now that you upgraded to a suite. I hope you will still board if your husband cannot.

We have been on the Epic 3 times and loved her. I hope you will, too.

Secondly, I cannot leave this thread without warning you that you may definitely need passports for your next cruise - the Pearl one visiting Aruba and Curacao - because it's not a closed loop (and a long cruise) and you'll be visiting those 2 distant ports and you will be subject to go thru the US Immigration in St. Thomas before heading to Miami.

So please get yourselves passports ......

Fingers crossed, anyway for the outcome this weekend.

Although I don't disagree with the general wisdom of obtaining passports, your advice is wrong relative to their cruise. It's still a closed loop (Miami to Miami) Western Hemisphere cruise and the ABC islands being designated as distant foreign ports under the PVSA doesn't mean a passport requirement is imposed. Those islands are still defined as part of the Caribbean Region under WHTI.

As I recall, the US discontinued putting its citizens through an immigration check at the first US port (in this case St. Thomas) some time ago. Only citizens of other countries will be required to go through immigration there. US citizens will be processed through immigration at the disembarkation port, Miami.

Edited by njhorseman

WHEW, that had me stressed just reading it LOL. I hope it all ends well for ya, sure it will.

I am such a worrier on losing ID's that I ordered an extra for my

husband and myself. I kept it with the BC's. Now that we have

passports, I keep the extra ID with the passports.

I have to say GO PANTHERS! Husband and I were at the BOA

Stadium for yesterdays game!

OP, I think you handled this stressful situation with grace and style.

I think you know on CC when someone asks for help there will always be KIAs and people with advice that does not help the current situation. Some people are just crabby and not happy.

I am glad you posted this; it also bubbled up very good advice on what to do in this situation. It will be helpful to us all.

Have a great time !! :p

Just read all four pages of this thread-- whew!!! I see someone beat me to letting you know you can get through tsa without the photo ID. I am so happy he realized that it was gone when he did!! And how amazing that he still had the old one that is valid!! I am keeping my fingers crossed for you but I think you will be fine :). Can't wait to meet all of you on board! Now I am headed to go check the safe to make sure our passports are still there..... I know I put them there a few months ago, but just want to have them in hand. Thanks for the reminder to all of us to check our documents now instead of last minute :D.

As I recall, the US discontinued putting its citizens through an immigration check at the first US port (in this case St. Thomas) some time ago. Only citizens of other countries will be required to go through immigration there. US citizens will be processed through immigration at the disembarkation port, Miami.

Not true. We just did the Sun 10/9-10/20 and had to do immigration in St. Thomas, our last port before returning to Miami.

You're pretty close to me if your husband was at Bank of America stadium!

I really hope this all works out for you and the ID is found... or the new one comes quickly. Looking forward to your post saying that all went on without a hitch!

Btw, I just wanted to say that people who are assuming your husband wasn't helping may have been going by your earlier post saying that he was sleeping like a baby while you were pulling your hair out. I don't think they were intentionally calling your husband a bum. haha

You're pretty close to me if your husband was at Bank of America stadium!

I really hope this all works out for you and the ID is found... or the new one comes quickly. Looking forward to your post saying that all went on without a hitch!

Btw, I just wanted to say that people who are assuming your husband wasn't helping may have been going by your earlier post saying that he was sleeping like a baby while you were pulling your hair out. I don't think they were intentionally calling your husband a bum. haha

Thank you!

I discerned that but apparently some still thought he was sleeping through today as well. :eek: LOL