How does rccl determine upgrades?

connes1

From the RCI website, FAQ section regarding upgrades:

Royal Caribbean most often sails at full capacity, and therefore opportunities for upgrades are limited. Upgrades, when available, are at the discretion of Royal Caribbean and can be applied any time before the sail date.

From the RCI website, Crown & Anchor Society member area:

From time to time Royal Caribbean has a very small number of staterooms that become available for upgrades during the week prior to sailing. Should these staterooms become available, Diamond Plus and Pinnacle Club members will be the first to be offered a complimentary upgrade. We have worked to make the process simpler and more efficient. Effective November 11th, 2013, for those that wish to be considered for an upgrade, please take a moment to select your upgrade preferences online. If an upgrade becomes available to you, we will contact you within a week of your sailing via the email address provided in your My Cruises account.

Hope this helps.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Then how is it that I hear about first time cruisers getting upgraded? I don't think that's the only criteria.

Revenue upgrades versus C&A upgrades. Revenue upgrades are made for different reasons and different criteria that has not necessarily been disclosed.

Funny story: A friend and his partner went on first cruise (not sure line). Booked a window cabin. Then...free upgrade to the swankiest suite!

Why ? Not sure....but he was a doctor, and I think MD (medical doctor), plus trying to build loyalty of new cruiser, and the (misconception) that all gays have money !

I love to think of it being some random employee at a computer, having a list of all the eligible cruisers, closing their eyes and waving their hands and pointing at one saying "You!", then getting to call them.

I highly doubt that's how it happens though ;)

I love to think of it being some random employee at a computer, having a list of all the eligible cruisers, closing their eyes and waving their hands and pointing at one saying "You!", then getting to call them.

I highly doubt that's how it happens though ;)

I was envisioning a huge wheel of fortune type thing that someone gets to spin when an upgrade is available. Good as any other theory.

Highest Point Total.

Only if Revenue turns it over to C&A. (Which doesn't appear to be happening much these days. For the last few years even when it should have gone to highest point total from C&A it didn't always go that way! ) Once again (lol), I ask....can Revenue not work with C&A when dishing out their upgrades? You would think with today's technology revenue would have access to the information and be able to also use the C&A criteria!

Theories abound...don't they! The distinction between revenue upgrades versus C&A upgrades is just plain annoying. All upgrades should be loyalty driven! If Revenue needs to make strategic moves then it is easy enough to look for C&A points. There are people in every category that would love that bump up to the next level. With the millions of people in the C&A program there is surely someone that they could find to reward rather than randomly getting a first time cruiser.

I have been involved where, in my case, Celebrity upgraded a passenger because to solve the screw up that happened with my cabins. They proposed moving us and our traveling friends and had one open cabin and thus upgraded another passenger(s) to make two aft cabins together for us.

Kinda hard to pick C&A member in this example. Guess at the end of the day, there were our 2 old cabins that could have been C&A upgrades.

I was very pleased that Celebrity stepped up and fixed our problem! :)

My parents were upgraded from a D8 balcony to a JS on the Allure. They are Diamond and I know a bunch of Diamond Plus on that cruise in balconies that did not receive an upgrade. Makes no rhyme or reason to me, just sayin! :D I book the cabin I want knowing what my chances are even being Diamond Plus which are slim to none!

BonVoyage

Dawna

I think it may also be availability of room type. If they need more balcony rooms to sell they will upgrade a passenger with the most points in the stateroom category as well as who paid the most for the room. There seems to be 2 places people get upgrades #1 is revenue when revenue is done they pass it along to #2 loyalty. It still is a mystery to me

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Another way they do it is if they see my name..........

they give it to someone else.......

So if you are sailing with me, your chances are better:eek:

Just kidding.

The only way we were offered an upgrade is to pay a reduce fee for the next category.

(and we did on our allure sailing).

Never got one free.

Sea Ya

It was always assumed that it was based on cruise points, yet anecdotal stories indicated otherwise. In all our Royal cruises, we (D+) were upgraded ONCE, from a window to a JS on Monarch a couple of years ago. Found out upon check in at the port.

A few weeks ago they we got an email clarifying that upgrades are based on points and to make sure our upgrade preference was indicated in our profile.

Coincidentally, on Enchantment last week (10/28 sailing) we were upgraded at the port from a JS to a GS.

So while they may still do some revenue-based upgrades that are not specified in their "upgrade policy" they DO apparently offer some UG when available to upper level C&A members. :)

Highest Point Total.
Only if Revenue turns it over to C&A. (Which doesn't appear to be happening much these days. For the last few years even when it should have gone to highest point total from C&A it didn't always go that way! ) Once again (lol), I ask....can Revenue not work with C&A when dishing out their upgrades? You would think with today's technology revenue would have access to the information and be able to also use the C&A criteria!

Correct and I should have clarified my answer.:o

I will say that since we made PC, the upgrade fairy has called our home more often than not with the offer of an upgrade. :D