Time management

KansasEMT

Complete newbie question here, but we are going on our very first cruise in March 2014 and want to maximize the fun.

Our ship leaves at 4:00 p.m. What time should we arrive at the port? Can we (two able-bodied adults) carry our own bags on board or will we be required to check them? I've checked our roll call board and everybody is too busy to meet for breakfast, although everybody is going to be in town. DH doesn't want to miss the boat - I don't want to waste time waiting in line for boarding to even start. I read somewhere that if we show up at 3:00, it's too late to board. :confused: In my world, that's an hour early!

When the boat docks at 8 a.m., when can we count on being "on time" for excursions? I realize that over 2,000 people off the boats takes some time, but how much? Also, if the boat leaves again at 5:00, what time do we really need to be back? (will we have time for multiple excursions? how much time do we "really have at port?)

And . . . because i want to be fully prepared for ANYTHING . . . if something horrible happens while ashore (zipline accident, death, dismemberment, stuff like that) and we don't make it back to the ship at all - will they ship our stuff that we left onboard back to the states to our kids?

Thanks for helping out a nervous newbie!

Edited by KansasEMT

Complete newbie question here, but we are going on our very first cruise in March 2014 and want to maximize the fun.

Our ship leaves at 4:00 p.m. What time should we arrive at the port? most ships begin boarding anywhere from 11 to about noon. Can we (two able-bodied adults) carry our own bags on board or will we be required to check them? the ports use the same TSA xray machines as the airports. furthermore, many ships do NOT open the cabins until 130 pm so you have to keep everything with you until then. I've checked our roll call board and everybody is too busy to meet for breakfast, although everybody is going to be in town. DH doesn't want to miss the boat - I don't want to waste time waiting in line for boarding to even start. I read somewhere that if we show up at 3:00, it's too late to board. :confused: In my world, that's an hour early! you must be ON BOARD 90 minutes BEFORE scheduled departure. the ship has to submit the manifest by then. if you are not on board by then you will not be allowed to board at all.

When the boat docks at 8 a.m., when can we count on being "on time" for excursions? I realize that over 2,000 people off the boats takes some time, but how much? Also, if the boat leaves again at 5:00, what time do we really need to be back? (will we have time for multiple excursions? how much time do we "really have at port?) generally speaking they will announce the ship is cleared to depart within 30 minutes of tying up. you must be back on board one hour prior to scheduled departure and its really NOT a good idea to push that.. the line to get back on can get very long.

And . . . because i want to be fully prepared for ANYTHING . . . if something horrible happens while ashore (zipline accident, death, dismemberment, stuff like that) and we don't make it back to the ship at all - will they ship our stuff that we left onboard back to the states to our kids? not necessarily.. they may transport everything off the ship so that you have access to it while you are stuck.

DO NOT try to do it all. nothing ruins a vacation faster than getting overwhelmed/exhausted and frustrated. pick one, maybe two thinsg to do in each port. allow yourself to be flexible to account for weather or other obtsacles. Tender ports can be canceled, so make sure any excursion you orgainze niot through the ship is okay with canceling without penalty.

Our ship leaves at 4:00 p.m. What time should we arrive at the port? Can we (two able-bodied adults) carry our own bags on board or will we be required to check them? I've checked our roll call board and everybody is too busy to meet for breakfast, although everybody is going to be in town. DH doesn't want to miss the boat - I don't want to waste time waiting in line for boarding to even start. I read somewhere that if we show up at 3:00, it's too late to board. :confused: In my world, that's an hour early!

When the boat docks at 8 a.m., when can we count on being "on time" for excursions? I realize that over 2,000 people off the boats takes some time, but how much? Also, if the boat leaves again at 5:00, what time do we really need to be back? (will we have time for multiple excursions? how much time do we "really have at port?)

And . . . because i want to be fully prepared for ANYTHING . . . if something horrible happens while ashore (zipline accident, death, dismemberment, stuff like that) and we don't make it back to the ship at all - will they ship our stuff that we left onboard back to the states to our kids?

The ship leaves at 4:00, but boarding begins much earlier--depending on the line and ship, as early as 11 am. Get there so you can get on board, have lunch, and start to enjoy your vacation. No reason to wait until the lat minute. If you get to the port around 1:00 you won't have any lines.

Not sure why you'd want to carry your luggage on. It can be a long way for check in to your cabin. The cabin might not be ready when you board, and then you'd have to lug it around with you.

Typically they disembark those with ships excursions first. Usually they have you meet someplace on the ship at a set time and all go together as a group. You will be given specific instructions with your excursion tickets after you board. If you are in a ship's excursion they will have you back in time. If you are venturing on your own, be sure to ask when all aboard is, and be sure your watch is set to ships time.

Yes, the ship would return your belongings to your family.

Autocorrect responsible for most typos...

First of all welcome to cruising and relax - just enjoy your cruise. You will have to check in and the porters will handle your luggage. Unless it will fit in the airport type screeners you will have a difficult time carrying it on - besides there is no need to. The rooms won't be ready until 1:00 so you would have to carry it around the ship with you until then.

BTW there is a mandatory muster drill that takes place typically 30 - 45 minutes before departure and you must be on board 90 minutes prior to departure - so if you leave at 4:00 you will need to be on board by 2:30 anyway.

You should carry a small carry on with you with all your documents and valuables with you, and anything you may need until you can get into your room. Luggage will be delivered there anytime between 1:00 and early evening. Do not worry about a change of clothes for the first night dinner in case your luggage arrives late - what you wear on will be fine.

Most ships start boarding by about 11:00 - so we usefully arrive between 10:30 and 11:00 as we like to board early. Lunch is served on board so you can get lunch and explore the ship while you are waiting for your room to be ready.

No issues with getting on or off the ship for excursions, etc., as you will be told when and where to meet. It will not take long to disembark - they have that process well managed. We are usually off the ship in 10 - 15 minutes once in port.

And don't worry about the rest - the ship staff and operation is extremely well organized and prepared for anything. Should there be any problem they will assist as needed. One thing though, do not be late reboarding in port as (unless it is as a result of a delay with a ship sponsored tour) they will not wait for you.

But all that being said, just enjoy your cruise - I guarantee it will not be your last.

You'll learn quickly that folks here are of two minds about what time to board. I'm on the side of waiting until the afternoon when there are no lines; we typically drop our luggage off with the porters at the dock in the morning, then go and enjoy a relaxing lunch at a restaurant in town before returning to the port to board (this obviously depends on the port and how easy it is to come and go ... it works well in Florida and some European ports). I'm going to be eating the same food on the ship all week, I don't feel the need to stand in a herd to board so I can stand in a herd at a buffet, but that's me. You'll get plenty of different responses, I'm sure.

One hour before departure is too late, we typically board around 2 PM for a 5 PM departure. One other benefit of waiting is that the rooms are ready when we board, I really dislike wandering about the ship with my belongings like a homeless person. I don't find that a comfortable way to start my vacation.

Edited by euro cruiser

I would arrive to port by 11:00 AM and boarding should take start anywhere from 11:30 AM to 12:00 Noon.

I would check in large piece of luggage with a porter and just give them a tip for their help.

Take on board your carry on luggage. Be sure that all valuables and medicines stay with you.

If you arrive to a port at around 8:00 AM and you are docked assume that the ship will be cleared at around 8:30 AM.

Enjoy the cruise and don't try to plan each and every minute of it. Just enjoy it.

Keith

Lisa -

What ship are you sailing on? Your count down clock says "Jewel of the Seas", but the date listed doesn't match....

I like to get on board as soon as possible; ususally around 11am. They will be serving lunch,and the pools(and the bars) will be open... It's also a great time to explore the ship and find out where everything is.

If you sign up for the ship's excursions, they will tell you when and where to meet. It might be as early as 15 min. after the posted arrival time...

On all my cruises, the "All Aboard" time for passengers has been 30 minutes prior to the listed departure. There time will be listed on your daily planner, as well as on a board at the gangway.

NOTE: Make sure you set your watch to the time on board the ship! Depending on a number of factors, the local time at the port may not be the same as on the ship.

Have a great trip!

Aloha,

John

Getting off the ship at ports of call isn't the big deal you seem to think it is! Not everyone is scrambling to be 1st off! Unless you have some early excursion, you don't have to rush....docking is much faster than tendering...but neither usually takes long!

Your luggage will have to fit through those small airport scanners, so if your luggage is larger than a regular carry on, you will have to check it. Plus, it's a big hassle to lug all your stuff around the ship, as your cabins might not be ready until 1 or 2. Just bring a carry on with your essentials like medications, camera, jewelry, cruise tickets, money, credit cards and your passports. Your luggage will be scanned for contraband before it's delivered to your cabin.

Boarding will begin at 11, so get there by then. If you sail at four, you have to be ON the ship by 2:30, otherwise they could deny boarding.

As for emergencies, if there is one, you'll need a passport because it's nearly impossible to fly back without a passport. My mom fell and broke her hip on a cruise and had to be evacuated off and a medical jet flew her to Ft Lauderdale for surgery. We landed at the Executive Airport (not the big FLL airport) and a Customs/Immigration agent boarded the plane and checked our passports. The ship did pack our bags and shipped them home, as we were in FLL for three weeks for mom's surgery.

This might not be a direct answer to your questions, but I'd like to encourage you to read your ship's daily program carefully, and mark anything you might want to do. It will list meal times, bar times, pool times, as well as things that change each day such as shows, games, etc. There are a lot of fun things to do onboard, as well as the land excursions.

Relax, do any or no excursions and activities, and just enjoy.

Getting off the ship at ports of call isn't the big deal you seem to think it is! Not everyone is scrambling to be 1st off! Unless you have some early excursion, you don't have to rush....docking is much faster than tendering...but neither usually takes long!

Agree!

We usually have breakfast later and let the crowds thin out before we go into port.

Our ship leaves at 4:00 p.m. What time should we arrive at the port?

You're going to get a lot of variation here. Some will say be there by 11, others will say wait until 2:30. Both answers are correct

Can we (two able-bodied adults) carry our own bags on board or will we be required to check them?

Usually you can bring on your own stuff, but there are porters to get your larger bags. It's much easier this way as you may have quite a walk(and elevator ride) which is more difficult with a ton of baggage. Some lines have rules that alcohol must be in carry ons.

I've checked our roll call board and everybody is too busy to meet for breakfast, although everybody is going to be in town.

That does sound fun, but it's typical people don't really want to "hang out" on embarkation day. With planes, cabs, hotels and whatnot, people don't want the potential added stress of meeting at a certain time/place. Save the M&G for when you are settled on the ship.

I read somewhere that if we show up at 3:00, it's too late to board. :confused: In my world, that's an hour early!

That's debatable, but if you know you are going to be very late, call the ship to let them know you are on the way. Arrive before 2:30 and this is a non-issue.

When the boat docks at 8 a.m., when can we count on being "on time" for excursions?

If you buy ship excursions, you will always be "on time" they make sure of that. Take the wait into account if you decide to do excursions on your own. Depending on the port it can sometimes be 2 hours before you are off.

Also, if the boat leaves again at 5:00, what time do we really need to be back? (will we have time for multiple excursions? how much time do we "really have at port?)

The daily schedule will tell you what time to return, and they will remind you as you get off. Usually it's about 30 minutes beforehand. Depending on the length of stay and length of excursions will determine if you have time for more than 1. Remember you may also want time to explore the town/beach on your own.

Oh my, never thought about it. You are a nervous Nellie. Relax, you have over a year to get organized. Maybe buy trip insurance and possibly write a Will if you are so concerned.

You're going to have a great time. Continue to read/lurk/post here at cc to learn more. :)

Our ship leaves at 4:00 p.m. What time should we arrive at the port? Can we (two able-bodied adults) carry our own bags on board or will we be required to check them? You can carry on anything that you could carryon an airplane. They will make you check anything larger than that. I've checked our roll call board and everybody is too busy to meet for breakfast, although everybody is going to be in town. DH doesn't want to miss the boat - I don't want to waste time waiting in line for boarding to even start. I read somewhere that if we show up at 3:00, it's too late to board. :confused: In my world, that's an hour early!This part is like an airplane too, but even more complicated. You have to be checked in 90 minutes beforehand. Unlike air travel, there is no "later cruise" to be put on if you miss yours. Plan on arriving at the port any time between 10:30 a.m. and 2 pm.

When the boat docks at 8 a.m., when can we count on being "on time" for excursions? I realize that over 2,000 people off the boats takes some time, but how much? Not everyone gets off the ship. They also don't get off at the same time. You can come and go as you wish. It's like a floating hotel. Also, if the boat leaves again at 5:00, what time do we really need to be back? 4:30 pm(will we have time for multiple excursions? Only short ones how much time do we "really have at port?) No way of knowing until you get there. Ships get delayed. Weather comes in and they leave early. They leave late. Pay attention to the daily newsletter. Pay attention to overhead announcements. There will be a sign that says what the latest time to be on board when you disembark. Don't be late! They will leave without you.

There are fun things to do on the ship. Don't worry about spending all your time off the ship.

You're going to get a lot of variation here. Some will say be there by 11, others will say wait until 2:30. Both answers are correct
Actually, for legal reasons 2:30 is really too late to arrive for a 4:00 departure. Passengers are required to be onboard at least 90 minutes before sailing on embarkation day.

Lisa -

What ship are you sailing on? Your count down clock says "Jewel of the Seas", but the date listed doesn't match....

John

John,

Chalk that one up to not knowing the difference between "Jewel of the Seas" and "Norwegian Jewel". Told you I was a newbie. :P

Thanks everybody for setting me straight on times. I certainly would have missed the boat - who would have thought getting to the ship at 2:30 would be late for a 4:00 departure? Certainly not this girl!

Your advice really helps with my vacation planning! Thanks!

I'm in the early to port camp. Just because the ship leaves at 4 doesn't mean that there's not stuff going on. I get up early, eat a light breakfast, get to the port early and then have lunch onboard. I'm paying for the first day and I take advantage of that.

Remember embarkation day is considered one day of your cruise. The morning you pull into your final city they will be practically pushing you off the ship. You will be required to be out of your stateroom by 8am and the ship will be in port being turned over for the next set of embarking passengers. There is no need to be the first one on the ship, but you are paying for that day so take advantage of it.

Actually, for legal reasons 2:30 is really too late to arrive for a 4:00 departure. Passengers are required to be onboard at least 90 minutes before sailing on embarkation day.

So it's not too late, but exactly on time. ;) Certainly not recommended however.

Most ships will begin boarding around 11am. They really steer people from carrying their own full size luggage onboard. We’re abled body too, but you’ll come to find that the checking in lines and security is hard enough with all the people, carry-ons, etc, having full size suitcases would only complicate the process. I know in the past we’ve attempted to carry on a full size suitcase (for our wedding), and they point blank told us we weren’t allowed. I would recommend giving your suitcases to the porters and they’ll be delivered to your rooms before the ship sets sail. Just make sure you have whatever you need for the day in your carryon, and take that onboard with you. Personally, I would never chance arriving at work even close to 3pm! The earlier you board, the better in my opinion! It’s nice to get onboard as early as possible and start your cruise!

Generally speaking, when the boat is scheduled to arrive in port, it typically arrives on time or slightly before. Once the ship is cleared by the port authorities, they start debarking. We’re typically among the first wave off the ship, and generally there is a line. However, it moves quickly and you’re typically off the ship within 10-15 minutes if there is a line. Other times, you walk off without any issue or delays. Normally, you can only book ONE excursion per port. Most cruise, we’ll take the earliest offering of whatever excursion we want, so we have some free time after the excursion, then I find a beach or something within walking distance of the pier to do after the excursion but before we re-board the ship. I’m with you, that I like to squeeze as much into each port as possible before boarding the ship. When you get off the ship in port, there will be a sign that states what time you MUST be back onboard the ship. Typically this is one hour before the ship sets sail again. You don’t want to be one of those people who get left behind in port! So, you always want to be mindful of the time, and make sure your watch is set to ship’s time (and not the local time).

I don’t have any advice about what they do with your stuff if you don’t make it back on the ship. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen! Most of all, enjoy your first cruise!

I remember my first 2 cruises, I though the trip was all about the ports and soon learned that it is also about sea days (relaxation)

There is lots of good advice in here

We tend to get there about 10.30 (with the crowds) and get on for lunch - check your bags, don't drag them around, you will upset people too as they will be in everyones way

Take the time before the cabin is open to explore the ship, have a drink but don't feel you have to sit around as you will see lots of people doing - or put your swimwear under your clothes and jump in a hot tub before everyone else does - grab a drink and relax

Don't try to do too much in ports re multiple excursions as you miss the chance to wander around and see the places for yourself

As others have said, you probably will be told you have to check in your luggage anyway. Even on Princess (which allows you to go to your cabin upon boarding), we just have our carry ons (making sure our documents, passports, cameras, medications,toiletries are in there). We get there as early as possible. Last cruise, we were at the port around 11ish and had absolutely no line, aside from one couple in front of us. It's a matter of luck (my hubby hates waiting in line -- well, who does:rolleyes:) but we do want to be on board as soon as possible so we can check out our cabin, scan the daily newsletter quickly, get lunch, check out the ship, etc., long before it's time for the muster drill (which is required).

If we're not leaving from our home port of Los Angeles, we always get in at least a day ahead. That gives us a little time for sightseeing, shopping (for wine, etc.), and relaxing from our travels there. But definitely we're not going to wait around before heading to the port -- what if there's a traffic jam on the way to the port (we had that in Seattle as the terminal at that time was close to Mariner Stadium, which had a game -- but going early took care of that).

The ship will usually dock at the scheduled time, but we try to let the eager beavers off first (again, hubby doesn't like waiting in lines), and usually we can walk off a short time later.

If it's a tender port (where the ship anchors off from the pier and passengers take boats to get to shore), those with early excursions booked through the ship have first priority, often with those in the highest category cabins and those who are high up in the loyalty program after several cruises with the same line. So if you prebook with an independent company, be careful with what time excursion you book. If your ship gets delayed into port, you might be late to meeting with your excursions. Check the cancellation policy for any prebooked excursion (what if there's mechanical problems with the ship or weather conditions preclude the ship making it into the port -- some vet cruisers have never had this happen, but you never know) and have the contact number/email address just in case.

As for how many excursions to book in each port, some cruiselines don't limit you, but most people who are knowledgeable will advise you to stick with only one (or even just wing it, which is what we do most of the time -- we book a cruise to relax us, not to run ourselves ragged) or have at least a couple of hours between the scheduled end of one and the beginning of the other. Some people even stay on the ship in some ports -- you'll be surprised to find out how many are taking the same cruise more than once. Our last three cruises were the same itinerary as we love the Hawaiian cruises on Princess.

Definitely take the ship's newsletter with you when you go into port. The time to be back on board will be on the front page -- make sure you're back on board by then. Also check a reliable watch against the ship's time.

In all honesty, you need to breathe. I didn't know if I would take to cruising (my hubby was bf at the time and already had been hooked on this type of vacations before meeting me). Years before that, I had even worked for a company that had a major cruiseline as a client and had the chance to take a free cruise, and didn't take them up on it. But got hooked like every one else the first time, and since then, any vacation longer than a couple of days has involved a cruise, except for our honeymoon. And our 16-year-old has been on eight cruises.