"LIVE" - Legend of the Seas - Panama Canal 12 November 2013

PCWalton1

I took advantage of the free WiFi at the locks to send those pictures this morning. We are back on board after a great day in Colon and Portobello Panama, thanks to Roberto at Robtad’s Tours.

The locks at Gatun were amazing to see and I am glad we got to watch them in operation before we head through them tomorrow. It gave us a better perspective of how they work.

10893331924_eedd37ff73_c.jpg

See those containers up there? That is a ship.

10893203775_d27152a1d5_c.jpg

10893358384_475bc5c2f6_c.jpg

10893214386_a769d878b7_c.jpg

10893238906_9dc35b5982_z.jpg

10893355674_2010c2c616_z.jpg

10893355284_472380868a_c.jpg

We also go to view a section of the new locks under construction. Sorry for the grainy picture but I took it through a chain link fence.

10893238276_054584f429_c.jpg

We then headed to the town of Portobello and visited the customs house that was built in the 1600s. This building was used to house all the goods coming into the Panama from Spain and all the Inca gold and silver going out. We also explored one of the three Spanish forts that were built to protect the harbor from pirates.

10893493123_5290067993_c.jpg

10893496943_4517a9df2b_c.jpg

6u5ujuty.jpg

esebupu9.jpg

We then made a stop in the church of the Black Christ in Portobello before going to a restaurant named LA Torre where most of us ate empanadas and shrimp. Then it was the long drive back to the ship.

vudu4eje.jpg

ubamu3y8.jpg

Thanks to Roberto for making it s special day.

etuzutap.jpg

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

We did that tour on previous cruise, took train which is replica of one used during building of the canal, also feel that seeing the locks at that angle gives that added perspective to the canal experience....can't wait for trans of the actual canal. Hope fun is being had by all on the ship...Linda

No train for us. We traveled by van.

6u5ujuty.jpg

esebupu9.jpg

We then made a stop in the church of the Black Christ in Portobello before going to a restaurant named LA Torre where most of us ate empanadas and shrimp. Then it was the long drive back to the ship.

vudu4eje.jpg

ubamu3y8.jpg

etuzutap.jpg

I see you took another tour that is not from the ship. Are you comfortable taking non-ship sponsored tours. Are they cheaper or more expensive than the ship tours.

I see you took another tour that is not from the ship. Are you comfortable taking non-ship sponsored tours. Are they cheaper or more expensive than the ship tours.

I always take private tours. Not only are they less expensive than the ship sponored tours they are a much better experience overall, and you get to see so much more.

6u5ujuty.jpg

esebupu9.jpg

vudu4eje.jpg

ubamu3y8.jpg

etuzutap.jpg

This looks like the tour we are contemplating w/ a few couples on our cruise in APR. We were leaning toward Option 3. How many were in your group?

Thanks again for all this info,

Bobbie

Bill, please do us a favor and find a bar server named Sanja (pronounced sahn-ya) in the Schooner Bar. Tell her Bob & Lee say hello and wish we were still on board. Spend some time with her, she will crack you up.

Bob,

What hours does she keep?

Sailed Ft Lauderdale-San Diego via Panama Canal on Celebrity exactly a year ago and we're on Legend for the March 2014 10-night Southern Caribbean, so this thread is double the fun!

Bill and Marie--Are you dining in either of the specialty restaurants?

Continue to have a wonderful time and keep the photos coming. Thanks so much for this "Live" look at your experience.

We will be dining in Chops Grille sometime next week. Can't pass up a good steak.

Bob,

What hours does she keep?

Last week she was there from about 2:30pm to closing, but it could be different this week. Just stop by Schooner whenever convenient and ask the bartender, they will tell you her hours. Thanks a bunch.

Really enjoying your live report.

hi.. I love this review/ is there a web cam we can watch the ship go through the canal?

http://www.pancanal.com/eng/photo/webcams-works.html

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk 2- Please excuse any errors.

Sure would be nice if someone could capture a shot of the ship when its going through the canal and post it here. :D

What time will u be going thru the pc

Back on page 1 of this thread, there was a schedule posted that stated that they Legend will be going through the Panama Canal from 6:00am to 6:00pm.

Edited by edjny

Back on page 1 of this thread, there was a schedule posted that stated that they Legend will be going through the Panama Canal from 6:00am to 6:00pm.

There are cameras that capture photos/videos as ships go through the locks. Difficult to predict timing for a particular vessel since there are a number of variables. I can't find the webcam address, but some friends watched our passage in real time when we traversed the Canal's locks.