"LIVE" - Legend of the Seas - Panama Canal 12 November 2013

PCWalton1

After 14 months of planning Marie and I are about to embark on our longest cruise yet. 15 days on Legend of the Seas transiting the Panama Canal as we travel from Ft. Lauderdale, Florida to San Diego, California.

Other than the Mexico ports this will all be new territory for us. It will also be a bit of a shock as we go from the largest in the fleet Allure to the second smallest (Legend is 3 feet longer than Splendour :p). Not just the difference in size, the focus of this cruise swings from the ship back to the ports which is what we like anyway.

10786394655_7b8ca0eab6_b.jpg

We were on the vision in April of this year. We live in the Fort Lauderdale area so we flew to San Francisco then boarded the vision in San Diego and took her back to Fort Lauderdale the same 15 night. The only thing I can say about that cruise it was awesome awesome you will love it. The pilot that boarded the vision in the beginning of the canal and stayed with us through the entire canal was absolutely unbelievable he narrated everything , We had a balcony cabin and you could understand everything he said as it was piped through the ship. We entered the canal at approximately 6 AM and exited at approximately 4 PM. As I am now retired we did Alaska,Panama and in a year and a half from now We will be doing Europe and that concludes my bucket list, For cruises We were away for three weeks doing Alaska, three weeks doing Panama and we will be away for about four weeks doing Barcelona to Barcelona then Barcelona back to Fort Lauderdale B2B. You will love the canal !!!!

Edited by dep

The speaker was entertaining and informative.

anu3yqy4.jpg

He spoke some about the new locks that are still under construction.

7anebyse.jpg

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Did he say when the new locks would be finished and what size ship would it be able to accommodate? If not can you post this at a later date if you can find out?

Really enjoying your review hope to do this same itinerary some day.

Did he say when the new locks would be finished and what size ship would it be able to accommodate? If not can you post this at a later date if you can find out?

Really enjoying your review hope to do this same itinerary some day.

He said mid 2015 for completion. He didn't say what cruise ships will fit but mentioned the restriction will switch to the height of the bridge on the Panama city side.

Very windy morning. Not many people out.

segu5ema.jpg

yzu2yryr.jpg

Ship is rocking a little.

u4ereba3.jpg

I'll say! Great shot! We sailed into Gunn Lake on the Jewel, for our Panama Cruise, not the full transit. Some day I'd like to do this, but in the meantime I can enjoy you trip.

Thank you so much for sharing!