Upgrades

Carol RN

Has anyone ever been offered an upgrade on more than one occasion? We were offered one on the Oasis last Fall and I'm wondering if we'd be lucky enough to be offered another for our January cruise.

Yes, we've been upgraded twice.

Wow--as many cruises as the two of you have taken and not many upgrades. :p

I am still looking for my first one.

My understanding is that there are very few upgrades available via the Crown & Anchor route anymore. The revenue department does the bulk of the upgrading, and I suspect their goal is to have zero staterooms available for C&A upgrades.

Yes luckily several times, but the upgrades are fewer these days as most ships sail full, which is good for Royal. Also they seem to have started selling non full ships at really cheap rates, to ensure capacity. However I was lucky enough to get an upgrade on next weeks Enchantment sailing.:D

The recently introduced policy of only dealing with upgrades via the preferences set on C&A website profiles, is probably intended to reduce the number of calls they have to field re this subject, it is also easier for an agent to say "please refer to website, as that is how it is done now" rather than being negative to a client and simply saying "No" :mad:

Whilst I know everyone would love to be upgraded, it is always best to book a cabin you are happy with at the price paid, these days it appears as if everyone is posting new threads about this subject.

The Policy is the same as it has been for a while now, C&A upgrades are to be offered firstly to those with the highest number of cruise points. However Revenue upgrades still work in a mysterious way, when sprinkled with fairy dust.:eek:

Has anyone ever been offered an upgrade on more than one occasion? We were offered one on the Oasis last Fall and I'm wondering if we'd be lucky enough to be offered another for our January cruise.

Yes and consider ourselves very fortunate. Twice in the early 90's, when we were newbies, nothing in between and then most recently Sept-2012, Dec 2012, and April 2013.

That's probably it, but we were still extremely thankful and were quite shocked each time.

3 weeks today until our next sailing so fingers crossed :-)

Its not happening on this one....

D+ here and also have never been upgraded. Sigh....

But I have pounced several times on higher cat cabins after final payment

when they drop the pricing to sell out the ship! :D

Upgrade fairy has lost my address, so I have to sprinkle out my own fairy dust! :p :p

Edited by island lady

My understanding is that there are very few upgrades available via the Crown & Anchor route anymore. The revenue department does the bulk of the upgrading, and I suspect their goal is to have zero staterooms available for C&A upgrades.

We were upgraded a few times in the good old days when you could call two weeks out and they would likely give you one if there were at least 5 in the category you were looking at. We've had one upgrade since the new regime. We often see a single GS or OS all the way up until 24 hours out, and then it's a Bingo prize onboard. I understand the revenue reasons for that, but I don't have to like it.:p

We do as ChipLondon suggests, and book the cabin we want. We did take a gamble (and win) on a price drop for JS cabins - we booked a D and then upgraded for not too much more pp when the JS went on sale for our next couple of cruises. I'd rather pay a modest amount and upgrade myself than hope for C&A to have anything left for us.

We have been UG'd twice. A few years ago on Monarch, from a window to a JS, and a few weeks ago on Enchantment, from a JS to a GS.

We currently have booked a humble inside cabin located mid ship. While talking to our RCCL rep, DH did ask about upgrades. He was told she could upgrade us - and for 15 seconds we were really excited. Turns out the upgrade was to another inside cabin a few decks higher but not mid ship. We passed on that offer because I am sensitive to the motion and I think it helps being mid ship (could be in my head but hey whatever works!). But it got me thinking about the whole upgrade thing. When I think "upgrade" I assumed that meant from an inside to ocean view or balcony, etc etc. But technically, moving up a deck or so is still considered a upgrade based on their category tiers. Just thought that was interesting.

What is the upgrade thing you talk about?

They are talking about getting a complimentary move to a better (more expensive) stateroom.

I don't think they were serious.

It's a long the lines of those that have the privilege of working from home all the time. They say "What's this thing called an Office":D

I don't think they were serious.

It's a long the lines of those that have the privilege of working from home all the time. They say "What's this thing called an Office":D

I'm a little slow today.:o

Been upgraded on my last 2 cruises

Congrats! :)

Well maybe I will get lucky too on my upcoming Enchantment cruise. All of

the balconies (I am in a D1) have been sold out for months, but not sure

why all of them so soon. Lots of JS cabins left, however. What cat

do go to from where?

So far, the upgrade fairy has ignored me to this point. But one can always

hope!

Congrats! :)

Well maybe I will get lucky too on my upcoming Enchantment cruise. All of

the balconies (I am in a D1) have been sold out for months, but not sure

why all of them so soon. Lots of JS cabins left, however. What cat

do go to from where?

So far, the upgrade fairy has ignored me to this point. But one can always

hope!

The Enchantment seems to have a problem getting the suites booked lately. I've gone from a JS to a GS and from a GS to an OS. I didn't find out on the last one until 3 days from sailing when I checked my reservation and saw the cabin change.

The Enchantment seems to have a problem getting the suites booked lately. I've gone from a JS to a GS and from a GS to an OS. I didn't find out on the last one until 3 days from sailing when I checked my reservation and saw the cabin change.

Nice!! :D I am guessing not a lot of people want to spend for a suite on a short

cruise. Perhaps that is why they are not filling the suites?

I have that nice corner aft #7666 JS for our Enchantment New Year's Eve. cruise December

2014. :) Though, it may be hard to give that one up for a GS...but OS? Yeah, I think

I could be convinced. ;)

Edited by island lady

I'm wondering if we'd be lucky enough to be offered another for our January cruise.

Since your cruise has not happened yet we can all safely say yes, you will be upgraded:rolleyes:

Or not

Edited by setsail