Captain's Club Website updated NOW

omeinv

I suspect those points will be per day. No evidence to support this, but it would seem the most likely explanation as a veranda will then equal 21 points for a week long cruise (and a Concierge Class will equal 35)

I think this might be correct too. We were given 660 credits for 22 credits. We have two 7 day cruises booked in Aqua in January which would have given us 26 credits which would convert to 780 making us elite plus. Now it looks like we will only get 35 per cruise leaving us really short 730. I hope there is some other way to get those lost points back.

Cynthia

When I click on "Sailing History" it flashes (and I mean JUST flashes) our history. It took 2 of us doing it about 10 times to focus enough to read it.

We had 8 credits and it now says 240 + 25. There were also some words but I couldn't focus enough in the 2 seconds the screen stays up to read them.

I didn't find the conversion chart quoted above but IF it's correct our status will be exactly where I expected after our next cruise.

Way to go Celebrity! :D

EDIT:

I've done it another 10 times and it also seems to say something like "You were so close to the next level We moved you up. 240 + 25 = 265, not 300.

I hate to get my hopes up. We have the drink package for the next cruise so the lounge won't matter but some internet and laundry would be wonderful.

How do I not get my hopes up all weekend? ;)

Edited by chamima

They've updated the site with points info (in the UK at least)

Sailing in an inside/ocean view: 2 points

Sailing in a veranda: 3 points

Concierge class/aqua class: 5 points

Sky, aqua class or century suite: 8

Celebrity, signature or royal suite: 12

reflection or penthouse suite: 18

You get this info by holding the mouse over the question mark next to the box that tells you how many points you have earned.

If those are points per day a Reflection or penthouse Suite will get you 252 points on a 14 day cruise. The same cruise in a Veranda would generate just 42 points. Zenith level, even at 3,000 points, is easily obtainable for passengers who consistently book the five highest cabin categories.

Looks like Celebrity has been very generous converting existing points 30X.

It looks like this change will significantly slow the growth of higher tiers.

Assuming the points are per night, I went back and recalculated our history. We had 10 credits, 63 nights, mostly inside cabins but one 7 night AQ and one 12 night 2C.

Using the new system on my cruise history, I would have 157 points now instead of the 300 points I have with the 10 credit conversion.

So for our sailing pattern, the new program is a 50% reduction in the speed of advancement...

Edited by trabeler

Assuming the points are per night, I went back and recalculated our history. We had 10 credits, 63 nights, mostly inside cabins but one 7 night AQ and one 12 night 2C.

Using the new system on my cruise history, I would have 157 points now instead of the 300 points I have with the 10 credit conversion.

So for our sailing pattern, the new program is a 50% reduction in the speed of advancement...

Works a little differently for us. Applying this new system to our past cruises adds up to 789 points. We're at 1200 today. Edited by mferranti
miscalculated

My points flashed (fro just a second) making my points X30

If those are points per day a Reflection or penthouse Suite will get you 252 points on a 14 day cruise. The same cruise in a Veranda would generate just 42 points. Zenith level, even at 3,000 points, is easily obtainable for passengers who consistently book the five highest cabin categories.

Looks as though X is lining this up on a dollar spent basis. They did this to a slight degree before with an extra credit for concierge and above, now they have taken it to a new level.

I am sure many will complain that suite guest get all the perks, but let's admit it , they pay for them.

I would also speculate that there will be additional points to be earned based on on board spending, similar to HAL. On our April cruise we had dinner one night with the shore excursions manager and it was hinted that using Celebrity excursions would have a positive effect on Captains club.

They've updated the site with points info (in the UK at least)

Sailing in an inside/ocean view: 2 points

Sailing in a veranda: 3 points

Concierge class/aqua class: 5 points

Sky, aqua class or century suite: 8

Celebrity, signature or royal suite: 12

reflection or penthouse suite: 18

Assuming this is per day, then for new customers in order to get to 300 points (elite) you would need 15 seven day cruises in veranda cabins.

On Royal Caribbean you would need 12 seven day cruises to hit 80 points, giving you Diamond.

I tend to switch around and try out different cruise lines, so I never collect enough points to get anywhere "good" in any of the programs. But I do find it interesting to see how many cruises I would need on a particular line in order to hit a level with some perks. With this change, Celebrity has switched from a program that was fairly easy to move to a high level, to one that is probably one of the more difficult ones (at least for those of us that sail in 'normal' cabins).

I took my first cruise on Celebrity this past August, and we had a great time. I'm sure we will sail on Celebrity again in the future, but I wonder if this change will cause me to be less likely to choose Celebrity over another cruise line, if I'm trying to pick between two cruises.

I also find it interesting that the passengers that are most likely to quickly hit the higher levels are those that sail in suites, and those passengers already get many of those 'perks' from sailing in those cabins.

Me too. All I saw was "Elite +" and then it disappears.

With some fast hands and my wife's help, I was able to do a "snap-shot" of my points box. (Would come up for a second at a time).

I will only be able to upload it to the attachment box: (double click it for an enlargement)

Enjoy!

Kel

1645216745_ScreenShot2013-11-23at7_05_46AM.jpg.cb09fb345e78893015b96b20fcd96932.jpg

With some fast hands and my wife's help, I was able to do a "snap-shot" of my points box. (Would come up for a second at a time).

I will only be able to upload it to the attachment box: (double click it for an enlargement)

Enjoy!

Kel

Thanks Kel. We have 29 credits also so that is very helpful.

Enjoy!

Kel

How did you do that?

My husband said to right click as I was left clicking but it disappeared anyways.

Mine says more than yours (I think it says we were close to Elite so they moved us up) but I hate to get my hopes up (I guess it's too late for that since I'm writing this) :o

While some seem to think the new system will make the progress through the levels slower, that is not necessarily the case.

looking at out history, we have a 17 night TA cruise in a sky suite. credits under the old system, 3. Under the new system, 136. But the conversion only gave 90.

We had 13 credits, which gave us 390 points. If I add all 4 TA cruises, I get 400 points. The first cruise we took was 10 nights in a gold card suite, for which we only got 1 credit , it was before the additional suite credit was adopted, and I did not consider it in the 400.

Assuming this is per day,

That's a big assumption, since there's nothing to indicate it is.

I certainly hope so though, and would expect it to be based on expectations built so far and for it to be more equitable.

It's a much lower earn rate than before, which was my worry.

How did you do that?

My husband said to right click as I was left clicking but it disappeared anyways.

I'd suggest the easiest way is to do it in two steps.

1) When the screen is visible, press the PrintScreen button. That is immediate.

2) Open another program such as Paint or Word and paste your screenshot there e.g. press <Ctrl> V.

\

They needed to do that to ensure that people weren't disadvantaged by falling back, since that's the equivalent rate in the new currency. If they didn't do that, then people would fall down levels so be severely unhappy.

That conversion rate was expected by many here. In the same way RCL also ensured that people did not lose what they already had reached.

I think the conversion date is reasonably important to some.

Had 9 points, now have 270 points, need 30 points could have made elite with one 5 day inside cabin cruise. With the new program, they need to cruise for 15 days in that cabin.

Of course there are many other combinations....but the group that seems to be most effected are those who are/were almost elite.

Had 8 points, now have 240 points, booked 7 day cruise in concierge which would have made them elite with 2 old points...but now that only gives them 35 points so they still wouldn't be elite with 275 points.

I can appreciate Celebrity's dilemma....it's almost impossible to make everyone whole. Perhaps there is some flexibility...or there will be some grandfathering of old credits vs new credits. I don't think we know all the nuances...any more than we know the actual perks that go with the new levels.

So I was finally able to get the screen shot of my "disappearing info" and we are Elite + with 870 credits. That's just 29 x 30, there are no bonus points.

If the post above about earning new credits is correct we will NEVER get to Zenith. We always book inside cabins.

By that logic it would take 215 one week cruises in an inside cabin to achieve Zenith, when in the past it would just be 100 one week cruises to achieve it. Doesn't seem fair at all and seems Celebrity is not rewarding loyalty but only MONEY.

I think the conversion date is reasonably important to some.

Had 9 points, now have 270 points, need 30 points could have made elite with one 5 day inside cabin cruise. With the new program, they need to cruise for 15 days in that cabin.

Of course there are many other combinations....but the group that seems to be most effected are those who are/were almost elite.

Had 8 points, now have 240 points, booked 7 day cruise in concierge which would have made them elite with 2 old points...but now that only gives them 35 points so they still wouldn't be elite with 275 points.

I can appreciate Celebrity's dilemma....it's almost impossible to make everyone whole. Perhaps there is some flexibility...or there will be some grandfathering of old credits vs new credits. I don't think we know all the nuances...any more than we know the actual perks that go with the new levels.

I think they are attempting to keep old customers happy.

We are in the group with 8 old points.

If I read my screen flash correctly it says something like "since we were so close they have given us bonus points and we are now Elite".

I didn't think we were THAT close. :o

Anyways, our next cruise is 14 days in Aqua (and we were expecting to make Elite with 11 old points) so if the conversion chart is correct we will get 5 x 14 = 70 new points. Add that to our 240 (8 x 30) and we are at 310 which is still Elite.

I think the people that are getting downgraded the most are those in inside cabins. But those are also the people bragging about sailing for $50/day when we are paying closer to $200-$250/day.

EDIT: I just had a thought that might make the people who are not moving up in the benefit department feel a little better.

The only thing we get from these loyalty programs are things we might otherwise have been paying for. So if I get free laundry for my $250 day and you are only paying $50/day - you still have an extra $200/day to pay for that laundry.

Edited by chamima

If you are talking about the Summit, that is way after what the others were writing about. There were no veranda's until the Century and very few at that time. They really started adding a lot of veranda's when Galaxy and Mercury came out.

The Summit was my first Celebrity cruise and I know that I paid to join the Founder's Club after that cruise. Did they actually have a Captain Club type program prior to the Century? Obviously they eliminated the charge sometime after the Summit was introduced.