Reciprocity under the new Captain's Club system

publicpersona

There are a few posts in the lengthy threads about the new Captain's Club system, but I thought it might be useful for a thread specifically discussing what people are being told about reciprocity with other Royal Caribbean brands.

I called this morning and talked with a Captain's Club representative. According to this one representative, reciprocity stops at Diamond/Elite. Being Diamond Plus or even Pinnacle on Royal Caribbean still gets you only Elite on Celebrity even though there are now levels above that in Captain's Club.

Although it would be nice if that were not the case, I'm not unhappy about it as long as Elite benefits don't change. I've always felt like Celebrity treats their Elite better than Royal treats their Diamond Plus anyway.

I also suspect that what one CC representative says may or may not be gospel, and may or may not change in the future.

There are a few posts in the lengthy threads about the new Captain's Club system, but I thought it might be useful for a thread specifically discussing what people are being told about reciprocity with other Royal Caribbean brands.

I called this morning and talked with a Captain's Club representative. According to this one representative, reciprocity stops at Diamond/Elite. Being Diamond Plus or even Pinnacle on Royal Caribbean still gets you only Elite on Celebrity even though there are now levels above that in Captain's Club.

Although it would be nice if that were not the case, I'm not unhappy about it as long as Elite benefits don't change. I've always felt like Celebrity treats their Elite better than Royal treats their Diamond Plus anyway.

I also suspect that what one CC representative says may or may not be gospel, and may or may not change in the future.

I would guess they are being told to tell people what the current rules are now. This is one of those things that everyone has to have patience for a few days.

Care to expand on this thought ??

I think stopping reciprocity at the Diamond / Elite levels is perfectly fair and is what the lines should do. They recognize high level crossover cruisers from their sister brand with some nice benefits, but reserve the tippy top levels of each individual program for that specific brand's best customers. (Obviously I'm writing this with the assumption that X will go ahead and add the two levels above Elite as has been rumored).

I think this system recognizes the unique relationship between the two brands (think about how there's no such system across the Carnival Corp brands...) but still maintains a uniqueness at the top levels of each program specific to that brand's most loyal cruisers.

Glad to hear this! ;) Also glad that we do not lose benefits on Celebrity for being Elite through RCCL Diamond. We will actually make it to Elite Plus on Celebrity before (if ever) making it to Diamond Plus because we have not sailed with RCCL since becoming Diamond members. We had one cruise as Diamond members.

Outside of the dedicated Diamond lounge and getting C&A $$ off for booking a balcony cabin, the usable perks end there. Although it would be nice to have a balcony discount on Celebrity, we really enjoy the free internet minutes. ;)

That has always been the case with the current program. What else can they tell you seeing as how the "NEW" program hasn't even been officially announced?

You might have me at "announced" but it certainly is official. If you login to the CC area of the Celebrity web site, it will tell you all about it, and how many points under the new system you will have.

Re my observation that Celebrity treats their Elite better than Royal treats their Diamond Plus, I simply mean that the benefits that I actually use are better in Celebrity Elite than Diamond Plus. I think the drinks/food at the Elite reception are better and the venue is less crowded. You get lots of Internet time for free, and better laundry perqs.

Not that Diamond Plus people suffer, though. It's all good.

You might have me at "announced" but it certainly is official. If you login to the CC area of the Celebrity web site, it will tell you all about it, and how many points under the new system you will have.

Re my observation that Celebrity treats their Elite better than Royal treats their Diamond Plus, I simply mean that the benefits that I actually use are better in Celebrity Elite than Diamond Plus. I think the drinks/food at the Elite reception are better and the venue is less crowded. You get lots of Internet time for free, and better laundry perqs.

Diamond Plus on RCI get a balcony discount up to $350 per cabin.

We get a nightly event from 5 to 8:30 PM. Mixed drinks and snacks not anywhere else on the ship such as unlimited chocolate covered strawberries and bacon wrapped shrimp. Much more useful the the 5-7 period for Elites.

We each get 90 minute internet time

We each have a free laundry coupon

We have the services of the Concierge in making reservations for shows, especially useful on the big girls.

And the CL overlooks the Boardwalk, great place to watch the Belaggio type fountain show at the Aquashow pool.

Please let me know where it describes the new benefits for Zenith.

When I login it shows I am Zenith with my new number of points, but this is what it says I get being Zenith:

Zenith Member Benefits

lorem impsum, doleor aknijuwoi[ slajfodiu0pi0iefr bhdahundsa;fdal'

sjfjahfisfisjfkjahtueihuibvajf;foiasjfiojsaiofjoisajfioejfoiaejfioewjfoijioejoiaoijiofjoiweasjfjahfisfisjfkjahtueihuibvajf;foiasjfiojsaiofjoisaj

sjfjahfisfisjfkjahtueihuibvajf;foiasjfiojsaiofjoisajfioejfoiaejfioewjfoijioejoiaoijiofjoiwea

sjfjahfisfisjfkjahtueihuibvajf;foiasjfiojsaiofjoisajfioejfoiaejfioewjfoijioejoiaoijiofjoiwea

fioejfoiaejfioewjfoijioejoiaoijiofjoiwea

I am just off the Century and was told be the CC hostess that there is NO reciprocity above Diamond/Elite. Does not bother me since I was told the Zenith benefits are MUCH better than Pinnacle on RCL.

The balcony discount on RCCL is a bigger benefit than anything that X offers and the nightly event is almost twice as long.

I was able to log in to My Celebrity and realized that we made Elite in our own right with Celebrity and not because we were Diamond with RCCL. I knew we had 7 Celebrity cruises under our belts. What I didn't realize was that we received some extra points for staying in CC, AQ and a SS. Plus, having a cruise 12 nights long. :) We now have 12 credits or 360 points. YaY!

Please let me know where it describes the new benefits for Zenith.

When I login it shows I am Zenith with my new number of points, but this is what it says I get being Zenith:

Zenith Member Benefits

lorem impsum, doleor aknijuwoi[ slajfodiu0pi0iefr bhdahundsa;fdal'

sjfjahfisfisjfkjahtueihuibvajf;foiasjfiojsaiofjoisajfioejfoiaejfioewjfoijioejoiaoijiofjoiweasjfjahfisfisjfkjahtueihuibvajf;foiasjfiojsaiofjoisaj

fioejfoiaejfioewjfoijioejoiaoijiofjoiwea

I am just off the Century and was told be the CC hostess that there is NO reciprocity above Diamond/Elite. Does not bother me since I was told the Zenith benefits are MUCH better than Pinnacle on RCL.

Hahaha!! :D Did you try Google Translate? :eek:

I'm with Dave85.

It's just like how there was not recipricosity at the lower levels under the old program either. i.e. you couldn't get Gold status because you were classic for your first cruise on RCL (and vice versa).

They gave it for certain levels, but doesn't mean all do - or have.

The balcony discount on RCCL is a bigger benefit than anything that X offers and the nightly event is almost twice as long.

That is my feeling as well. Diamond balcony benefit of $225 for a 7-night cruise is the best benefit out there. IMHO

mac_tlc

The Elite reciprocal is to Diamond, and Diamond to Elite. We actually find Elite to be in line with Diamond Plus, so in my opinion, an RCCL passenger sailing Celebrity actually makes out better than a Celebrity passenger sailing RCCL.

It would get boring if the lines had exactly the same benefits. I won’t compare each benefit but as an example, RCCL has a complementary photo, Celebrity has some complimentary dry cleaning. Celebrity offers more free internet, ( that is important to me as we cruise about 30-45 days a year and don’t always consider the cruise a vacation, but rather where we happen to be that week or two)

The RCCL balcony discount helps, but not everyone books a balcony every time. Several times we’ve had a Celebrity cruise start out cheaper than the equivalent RCCL cruise so even with the balcony discount, Celebrity is cheaper. Then we use the stock benefit and (if we are not using an open passage or other promotion) come out ahead. Because of the marketing to families, we find RCCL cruise are often higher than Celebrity during holidays when families want to sail.

Yes the cocktail hours may be less on Celebrity, but we never intend to sit and drink for 2 hours and we NEVER sit for the RCCL 3 hours. I guess the RCCL timing is more convenient but it is no huge deal and we adjust our routine or OMG:eek: …miss a free drink one night! We rarely eat the appetizers in either lounge so I can’t comment if one is better than the other. I am in the minority and don’t consider the D/D+ to be all about the evening lounge.

Also –RCCL has a concierge but we rarely use the services. Honestly, how hard it is to call a restaurant to ask for dinner reservations?

Celebrity offers a better continental breakfast and includes a limited variety of alcohol.

OK - I think what I miss most on Celebrity, is the RCCL 24/7 lounge to get complimentary specially coffees.

It is generous that the lines offer reciprocal benefits. The reciprocity is what got us to try Celebrity a few years ago after nearly 60 RCCL cruises. Our sailing friends think we are nuts to sail Celebrity “give up” RCCL points but we are in that black hole ( closer to Pinnacle than any other category but still far enough away not to be consumed with it.

M

I question the posts from RCCL reciprocity folks who are now 'Elite on Celebrity' because they received extra points to maintain their "RCCL reciprocity Celebrity Elite'" status.

If we earn points separately on each cruise line - beginning at zero - then no additional points should have been needed to keep someone 'elite on Celebrity due to RCCL level'. Thus, could reciprocity be cut off effective tomorrow?

What is really interesting, once I 'earned' top level (on three different cruise lines), more top levels were added and am now back in the middle of the pack - a good place to be especially when none of the top tiers are now within my goals.

I question the posts from RCCL reciprocity folks who are now 'Elite on Celebrity' because they received extra points to maintain their "RCCL reciprocity Celebrity Elite'" status.

If we earn points separately on each cruise line - beginning at zero - then no additional points should have been needed to keep someone 'elite on Celebrity due to RCCL level'. Thus, could reciprocity be cut off effective tomorrow?

What is really interesting, once I 'earned' top level (on three different cruise lines), more top levels were added and am now back in the middle of the pack - a good place to be especially when none of the top tiers are now within my goals.

What are you questioning? No one received points due to their status on another line. We were given Elite status due to our Diamond or D+ status on RCI. This happened well before the upcoming changes. Celebrity is not taking that status away but in order to move up to Elite Plus one has to earn the cruise points.

Edited by cruisingator2

What are you questioning? No one received points due to their status on another line. We were given Elite status due to our Diamond or D+ status on RCI. This happened well before the upcoming changes. Celebrity is not taking that status away but in order to move up to Elite Plus one has to earn the cruise points.

Exactly!

My original status was Elite, because I an D+ on RCCL . in fact, early on i was elite with no credits, then 2, then 5 and so on.

I only have Celebrity credits/points from our actual Celebrity cruises. NO Celebrity points from any RCCL sailing.

I earn RCCL points and Celebrity points separately.

M