An open letter to Celebrity management about the loyalty program changes

sloopsailor

Dear Celebrity Management:

Thanks for the Captain's Club program. I appreciate the perks.

I suggest you ignore the complainers. First of all, they aren't very many, the few just keep posting again and again and again about how Celebrity done them wrong and they should get their points before they even take their cruises.

My guess is that the vast majority of Captain's Club members appreciate the program.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I love Linda!

Agreed, Celebrity is not obliged to provide any "perks" for anyone.

We love the product and have sailed Celebrity only since 1992 because of that product.

However, we are now Elite Plus and will never reach Zenith as we are retired and can't afford more than, perhaps, 1 cruise a year.

Having said that, I agree, Celebrity does not have to provide anything. I personally feel that elite plus is a joke but it won't keep me from sailing. I will accept anything they feel they would like to provide and gladly sail in April as Elite Plus.

I feel that I can have that opinion since we did pay for the original CC in 1992. BTW, it was $35 for 2, not a big amount.

I also agree with those who have posted that it might "slow down" so many who reached the different levels with 3 day cruises.

We enjoyed each and every one of our cruises that got us, finally a few years ago, to the Elite, 10 credit level. Now we'll just have to keep counting and, maybe some day in the very far future, we'll reach Zenith.

Good job Celebrity.

Pat

Dear Celebrity Management:

Thanks for the Captain's Club program. I appreciate the perks.

I suggest you ignore the complainers. First of all, they aren't very many, the few just keep posting again and again and again about how Celebrity done them wrong and they should get their points before they even take their cruises.

My guess is that the vast majority of Captain's Club members appreciate the program.

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm with you all the way Linda. These postings have really brought a smile to my face on this very damp, cold, dark and cloudy day; Thank you.

As soon as I saw the announcement of the new Loyalty Programme I checked our status and we're now Elite Plus. I can now hold my head up even higher (and that's saying something as I'm only 4ft.10ins so every little bit helps!). Seriously though, our choice is made with what we like not what we can get extra. If it's offered, great, if not....

Rita

A loyalty program and elite level for an airline is far more useful than a cruise line program. Obviously when flying, your elite level determines if you get upgraded to first or not. I am not going to get worked up over a free bag of laundry. I stick with Celebrity because of the people who work in Reservations and on the ships.

Celebrity Customer service is second to none! The ships are elegant and clean, the food is good. I can eat and drink all I wish for $2,000.00 pp for 10 days, The Captains Club is a nice amenity, but doesn't really mean that much to me. The Celebrity team will treat me equally as well whether I am a Classic, Select or Elite. So, yes folks, remember what means most to you on your cruise. Be thankful that Celebrity knows how to build an elegant and safe cruise ship, hire and train a crew who works very hard for you, and maintains a top notch hotel and food & beverage operation.

Be thankful for the Celebrity team and the majestic experience they provide.

If Celebrity eliminated the Captains Club program as suggested by the OP, I would imagine that they would be hit by tens of thousands of lawsuits. Imagine that one booked many cruises with the promise that when you reached the number of required points, you would receive a number of benefits. Then you reach that level, spent tens of thousands of dollars, and Celebrity announces, "Hey, we were just kidding."

I realize that the proposal to eliminate the Captain's Club program was not the real point of the open letter, but rather to address those who complain. Nevertheless, if the program really was eliminated . . .

If Celebrity eliminated the Captains Club program as suggested by the OP, I would imagine that they would be hit by tens of thousands of lawsuits. Imagine that one booked many cruises with the promise that when you reached the number of required points, you would receive a number of benefits. Then you reach that level, spent tens of thousands of dollars, and Celebrity announces, "Hey, we were just kidding."

I realize that the proposal to eliminate the Captain's Club program was not the real point of the open letter, but rather to address those who complain. Nevertheless, if the program really was eliminated . . .

Trust me, Celebrity won't eliminate the program. They value their REASONABLE customers and will continue to reward them, even if a few ungrateful entitlement minded people refuse to be satisfied. Hopefully those unpleasant people will do as they claim and go somewhere else - and leave Celebrity for people who appreciate the product and the perks they give those of us who continue to happily return.

Edited by boogs

I'm inclined to agree with the OP.

Every time one of the cruise lines alters its loyalty programme, there is a rash of indignant posts, from people who criticise the changes in one way or another. Whatever the cruise line does, it will upset someone, because you can't please all the people, all of the time.

This time, it's been particularly bad and I, for one, am sick of reading all the whingeing, complaining posts. (Yes, I'm waiting for someone to tell me that I don't have to read them.)

We are Elite on Celebrity, Diamond on RCCL and 3-star Mariners on Holland America, but we cruise for the itineraries and the on-board experience, not for the perks. For us, they are just a little icing on the cake.

Next spring will be our first cruise on Celebrity and I'm beginning to be worried. DH & I really enjoy HAL& Princess for ourselves and RCI when it's a family cruise. For TA swe like Cunard .

Our TA thought we might be in a rut and suggested we try Celebrity because we enjoy good food , good service & comfortable stateroom . We are a senior couple who enjoy making friends , visit new venues , have a cocktail or so, listen to music & just sit and watch sun set over the ocean or the sea.. He thought Celebrity would be a good fit and a change. So we booked a cruise.

However, after reading so many posts about perks, Captain's Club, etc. I'm beginning to wonder if we made the right choice. It seems to me that there a lot of snobbishness about which tier of passengers one belongs to. If one is not at least Elite, one doesn't count. At least that's the gist of what I'm getting.

In Cunard, there is a class system. It is well-explained. I did not think that Celebrity had a class system but I'm beginning to think there definitely is.

Could I be right and that's the way it is, or is Celebrity open and welcoming? Mind you, I'm talking about passengers and not crew or staff.

We haven't yet made final payment. I don't want to cancel because I like new adventures but if we're going to be frowned upon and left to ourselves, well, that wouldn't make for a fun time. BTW, we have late seating.

Thanks for your insights.

A loyalty program and elite level for an airline is far more useful than a cruise line program. Obviously when flying, your elite level determines if you get upgraded to first or not. I am not going to get worked up over a free bag of laundry. I stick with Celebrity because of the people who work in Reservations and on the ships.

Celebrity Customer service is second to none! The ships are elegant and clean, the food is good. I can eat and drink all I wish for $2,000.00 pp for 10 days, The Captains Club is a nice amenity, but doesn't really mean that much to me. The Celebrity team will treat me equally as well whether I am a Classic, Select or Elite. So, yes folks, remember what means most to you on your cruise. Be thankful that Celebrity knows how to build an elegant and safe cruise ship, hire and train a crew who works very hard for you, and maintains a top notch hotel and food & beverage operation.

Be thankful for the Celebrity team and the majestic experience they provide.

Very nicely put!! Celebrity certainly does have excellent people working for them. They are what makes the experience what it is and why we keep coming back!

Next spring will be our first cruise on Celebrity and I'm beginning to be worried. DH & I really enjoy HAL& Princess for ourselves and RCI when it's a family cruise. For TA swe like Cunard .

Our TA thought we might be in a rut and suggested we try Celebrity because we enjoy good food , good service & comfortable stateroom . We are a senior couple who enjoy making friends , visit new venues , have a cocktail or so, listen to music & just sit and watch sun set over the ocean or the sea.. He thought Celebrity would be a good fit and a change. So we booked a cruise.

However, after reading so many posts about perks, Captain's Club, etc. I'm beginning to wonder if we made the right choice. It seems to me that there a lot of snobbishness about which tier of passengers one belongs to. If one is not at least Elite, one doesn't count. At least that's the gist of what I'm getting.

In Cunard, there is a class system. It is well-explained. I did not think that Celebrity had a class system but I'm beginning to think there definitely is.

Could I be right and that's the way it is, or is Celebrity open and welcoming? Mind you, I'm talking about passengers and not crew or staff.

We haven't yet made final payment. I don't want to cancel because I like new adventures but if we're going to be frowned upon and left to ourselves, well, that wouldn't make for a fun time. BTW, we have late seating.

You won't notice any of this once you board. Enjoy your cruise Celebrity is a very good cruise line.

Please do not let the negative posting stop you. I think that Celebrity is what you are looking for. We have always had a GREAT time and look forward to our future cruises aboard her ships.

JoceleySue, I wouldn't worry about traveling on Celebrity. You will love the product.The complaints are coming from people who wanted to become Elite to get some freebies other than that being Elite is no big deal. . For the most part no one will know what category you are on the ship.

[quote name='jocelysue']Next spring will be our first cruise on Celebrity and I'm beginning to be worried. DH & I really enjoy HAL& Princess for ourselves and RCI when it's a family cruise. For TA swe like Cunard .

Thanks for your insights.[/QUOTE]

You will be fine taking the Celebrity cruise. LOL, I was so worried when we took our first cruise in 2010 due to the endless dress code threads and a few other things that I read in this group that I thought we had made a mistake as well! Thank goodness for a few awesome people on my roll call that assured me that I would not find it snobbish. We are about to take our third Celebrity cruise next weekend and look forward to more in the future. There are so many things we both love about the line. Every cruise line I have been on has difficult people....I just ignore it now. Life is way too short. Don't even consider canceling....you will love it! :)

[quote name='jocelysue']

[/QUOTE]

Celebrity on board is nothing like Cunard. No class system on board whatsoever. One of the restaurants, Blu, is only available to guests in Aqua Class staterooms, however, I this isn't like choosing between Britania, Princess Grill, or Queens Grill on Cunard. Aqua class appeals to many who like the spa lifestyle and eating a little more health consciously, so cuisine in Blu goes along with that. However, it does not have a massive price differences like the classes on Cunard does.

I was a first timer on Celebrity last year and was treated very well.

The complaints on the forums you are reading comes from keyboard warriors and people who have a need to be recognized for their loyalty. While I think loyalty programs are great, when it comes to cruising, they do not really motivate me when it comes to my choice. My cruise on Celebrity this year was so great, I immediately booked for next year. I love the modern style of the ships, the elegant yet relaxed atmosphere, the great food, and the super comfy beds. It was just a great fit for me.

Good luck with trying a new cruise line - I know when you are used to one thing, it can be really hard to switch things up. I hope this is going to be a pleasant surprise for you! Edited by purrlinda

OP: Very interesting letter.

I have to admit, we are "new" to Celebrity - only completing one sailing. We are leveraging "benefits" within the program based upon our level in the Royal program. The benefits we primarily use are the services, e.g., pressing, designated line at boarding, etc. We occasionally use a drink coupon here and there, but that is about it.

We have started sailing Celebrity because of the ships and the itineraries. Not because of the loyalty program. (If I mentioned anything about that, it would be I wish Royal would take the program up to the corporate RCL level instead of leaving it at the particular line level. I will probably get slammed for this comment, but I'm thinking about it the way airlines allow inter-line accruals of miles. Example, if you fly Lufthansa, you can accrue your miles to your United account. That's just my opinion.)

I see more of the "status talk" on the Royal Caribbean cruises. Not a day goes by that we do not hear two-to-three times a day "We are Diamond +". I'm happy for them, yes we are trying to get there, but I don't need to know you just returned from the Concierge Lounge since you are Diamond + everyday or that you are Diamond +, etc. (I often wonder, when they board a plane, do they announce "we are Chariman's Preferred, etc.?)

Our last cruise on Navigator we sailed in a Grand Suite, but we could not use the benefit because it was always full of people touting "Diamond +" (doubt they were actually in a suite) that we decided let's give Celebrity a try to get a break and try something new. I see it on the boards here the occasional mention of "Elite" - excluding the threads about the new program where there has been a lot of mention of level. (I do not recall hearing it once on our Solstice cruise - so refreshing).

We loved our first cruise, and look forward to our upcoming cruise on Equinox in April. The shipmates on our Rollcall are absolutely wonderful and we can hardly wait to meet everyone.

So, does the program make a difference to us. Not really. As mentioned, I like the pressing and designated line for check-in / boarding, etc.. I cannot imagine using the internet package - live in front of a computer 5 to 6 day's a week, don't plan on being in front of one on vacation. So we are indifferent as to a lot of the benefits. If they could add anything benefit wise, reserved seating at shows would be nice (level determines how many shows you get reserved seating for), perhaps a cooking class or mixology class, etc. None of these items cost much or would actually be free to the line - short of the time of the staff.

Please note: The above is our opinion, which may differ from others opinions, thoughts, and / or experiences. Thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts. Edited by gw2fll

[quote name='jocelysue']Next spring will be our first cruise on Celebrity and I'm beginning to be worried. DH & I really enjoy HAL& Princess for ourselves and RCI when it's a family cruise. For TA swe like Cunard .

Thanks for your insights.[/quote]
You will enjoy the ship, crew and your shipmates. Everyone is wonderful.

While you may see a lot of "level" talk on the boards, I do not recall once hearing a persons level on our Solstice cruise in May. It was a refreshing change from a few previous Royal cruises, where I heard it multiple times per day, each day.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy a Royal cruise, meeting new shipmates, and making new friends. But, as on land, there are always a few that live by their Crown and Anchor Society level.

I agree with a prior poster, the airline loyalty program matters more, in that they actually generate benefits that you directly experience more frequently. Granted, most of us may fly more than we cruise, so there is greater engagement with the airlines and the opportunity to derive a benefit from the program.

As mentioned, I really think once onboard, you will not hear much about the loyalty program. Go, enjoy the beautiful ship, wonderful food, great crew and your fellow passengers who are some of the most courteous and gracious that I have seen.

Happy cruising...

I've been sailing celebrity for 15 years, and I have never experienced a snob factor on board. On THIS board maybe, but not on the ship :)

I am an Elite member, but that is somewhat of a misnomer when you're on a ship with 400 other 'Elites'. For me, it means some appreciated free internet time to keep up with what's going on at home, and a bag of free wash and fold in addition to the good amount of laundry I pay for. Nice perks, but I would never travel on a line I wasn't very happy to spend my hard-earned dollars on just for that! Do I wish I would receive the full 2 points = 60 for my upcoming cruise that I booked prior to the implementation of the new program? Yes, I do. But it's not going to affect my life or my enjoyment of my cruising.

As for the 'priority' embarkation lines - I've used the regular non-Elite line just as often, as it's often shorter!

I agree with what others have said....while informative and often fun, this forum is a small skewed sample of the thousands of passengers you will encounter on board.

The best 'perk' I receive sailing Celebrity is the wonderful crew and staff working to make sure I have a lovely time!

[quote name='biomedbob']We live in a trailer park in middle Tennessee.

We'll we be put in some "class" on our upcoming Century cruise? :confused:[/QUOTE]

Just tell people you're from Monterey as opposed to Monterey, Tennessee and you'll not only be fine, but will be the envy of many! :D:):D

[quote name='gw2fll']OP: Very interesting letter.

I have to admit, we are "new" to Celebrity - only completing one sailing. We are leveraging "benefits" within the program based upon our level in the Royal program. The benefits we primarily use are the services, e.g., pressing, designated line at boarding, etc. We occasionally use a drink coupon here and there, but that is about it.

We have started sailing Celebrity because of the ships and the itineraries. Not because of the loyalty program. (If I mentioned anything about that, it would be I wish Royal would take the program up to the corporate RCL level instead of leaving it at the particular line level. I will probably get slammed for this comment, but I'm thinking about it the way airlines allow inter-line accruals of miles. Example, if you fly Lufthansa, you can accrue your miles to your United account. That's just my opinion.)

I see more of the "status talk" on the Royal Caribbean cruises. Not a day goes by that we do not hear two-to-three times a day "We are Diamond +". I'm happy for them, yes we are trying to get there, but I don't need to know you just returned from the Concierge Lounge since you are Diamond + everyday or that you are Diamond +, etc. (I often wonder, when they board a plane, do they announce "we are Chariman's Preferred, etc.?)

Our last cruise on Navigator we sailed in a Grand Suite, but we could not use the benefit because it was always full of people touting "Diamond +" (doubt they were actually in a suite) that we decided let's give Celebrity a try to get a break and try something new. I see it on the boards here the occasional mention of "Elite" - excluding the threads about the new program where there has been a lot of mention of level. (I do not recall hearing it once on our Solstice cruise - so refreshing).

We loved our first cruise, and look forward to our upcoming cruise on Equinox in April. The shipmates on our Rollcall are absolutely wonderful and we can hardly wait to meet everyone.

So, does the program make a difference to us. Not really. As mentioned, I like the pressing and designated line for check-in / boarding, etc.. I cannot imagine using the internet package - live in front of a computer 5 to 6 day's a week, don't plan on being in front of one on vacation. So we are indifferent as to a lot of the benefits. If they could add anything benefit wise, reserved seating at shows would be nice (level determines how many shows you get reserved seating for), perhaps a cooking class or mixology class, etc. None of these items cost much or would actually be free to the line - short of the time of the staff.

Please note: The above is our opinion, which may differ from others opinions, thoughts, and / or experiences. Thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts.[/QUOTE]

Trust me on this. After 26 cruises on Celebrity the only status conscious snobs you will find are on this board.