The "Britishness" of P&O?

travelaroundworld

During my last sail with Oriana, my husband asked me "why are you such a loyal customer of P&O?" What a difficult question! I spent the rest of the day thinking about it, and decided that it is the British feel of things, from ships to food to service...

...but my husband (who is not British) was puzzled, and asked me specifically what parts of the experience were uniquely British, and guess what... I could not answer him!

So here I am calling for help! What do you think the "Britishness" of P&O stands for, and what elements of the experience make P&O British?

Perhaps I am making a big assumption here that everyone thinks P&O is "British" ;) But please do tell me if you don't think "Britishness" is an important feature of P&O, or if you don't like her being "British" :)

I believe it's going to be an interesting discussion! Can't wait to hear your thoughts :):):)

Having sailed with several other lines and by comparison,I think the Britishness of P&O lies mainly in two areas; food and beverages and entertainment.

Food in the restaurants is typically British, with roasts, fish and chips, etc widely featured. Bacon at breakfast is UK style back bacon lightly cooked, not streaky done to a crisp as on US orientated lines. British beers dominate the bars. And yes, Horlicks is available at bedtime!

Entertainment is similarly UK orientated. Unfortunately this has in recent times led to a rash of that British phenomenon the tribute act, something I personally find totally lacking in inspiration. There are however still comedians who tell jokes that the Brits can understand and assume a knowledge of UK rather than US culture.

And of course, most of the senior officers are British.

Reserved, the staff are trained this way, not to be - in your face- this leads some to think they are unfriendly. Especially if they are used to US lines.

More understated, not so flash.

As it happens I quite like the opposite of both of the above and I suspect that I would enjoy any cruise line which would let me on with my scooter. Some smaller ones are difficult because of the size and age of the ships.

Mmm! P&O has a british ambience. So does Thomson and I presume Fred Olsen.

The britishness has good and bad aspects. What are they? This will take some serious thinking.

Does this britishness put off foreign customers. Do P&O want foreign customers? Do P&O passengers want foreigners aboard. Anecdotal evidence suggests a significant percentage don't.

Reserved, the staff are trained this way, not to be - in your face- this leads some to think they are unfriendly. Especially if they are used to US lines.

More understated, not so flash.

As it happens I quite like the opposite of both of the above and I suspect that I would enjoy any cruise line which would let me on with my scooter. Some smaller ones are difficult because of the size and age of the ships.

I agree with you Dai, honest ;)

The great British Sail-away party!

The 12 noon nautical fact of the day.

Afternoon teas.

Hot/spicy food available nearly always.

And most importantly, Tea making facilities in the cabin with biscuits.

Fat tattooed passengers

Boasting about how little they paid

Whingers and moaners (especially if someone paid less than them)

Rudeness to the staff (unforgivable)

Fortunately the vast majority are decent solid people who are excellent company and there to have a jolly good time. I seem to spend so much time chatting away to others who I had never met before - and we are laughing and joking within minutes. I love that.

The great British Sail-away party!

The 12 noon nautical fact of the day.

Afternoon teas.

Hot/spicy food available nearly always.

And most importantly, Tea making facilities in the cabin with biscuits.

Yes yes yes, in particular the last one. :)

During my last sail with Oriana, my husband asked me "why are you such a loyal customer of P&O?" What a difficult question! I spent the rest of the day thinking about it, and decided that it is the British feel of things, from ships to food to service...

...but my husband (who is not British) was puzzled, and asked me specifically what parts of the experience were uniquely British, and guess what... I could not answer him!

So here I am calling for help! What do you think the "Britishness" of P&O stands for, and what elements of the experience make P&O British?

Perhaps I am making a big assumption here that everyone thinks P&O is "British" ;) But please do tell me if you don't think "Britishness" is an important feature of P&O, or if you don't like her being "British" :)

I believe it's going to be an interesting discussion! Can't wait to hear your thoughts :):):)

Given the similarities in both your threads I think you are doing some research for P&O lol

I always used to love P&O, but one thing I did absolutely hate was the 'great british sailaway' parties. I am sure I am very, very, much in the minority here, but please don't come near me with a plastic union jack flag to wave around whilst singing Vera Lyn songs - I really will hurt you :D

Lou

I always used to love P&O, but one thing I did absolutely hate was the 'great british sailaway' parties. I am sure I am very, very, much in the minority here, but please don't come near me with a plastic union jack flag to wave around whilst singing Vera Lyn songs - I really will hurt you :D

Lou

Check out my signature

VL is cringeworthy :D

She sang 'that song' in 1942. OK, lets say you start to notice music at age 12. That means that anyone that remembers that one when it came out is now 83. Hardly an age to party away the night. Early to bed for them which is why some P&O sailaways have more entertainment staff than passengers.

Now contrast this to Thomson. We left Funchal after 11pm to the accompanyment of crying babies and barking dogs. Not surprising as we were putting out a few gigawatts of Queen and Michael Jackson, brilliant :D

Lou

I am totally in agreement with you there - can't stand them!

Lou

They have songs as modern as those from Vera Lynn? Wow, on my Aurora cruise they expected us to sing WWI songs. Now I can't remember WWII, let alone the first one!

They have songs as modern as those from Vera Lynn? Wow, on my Aurora cruise they expected us to sing WWI songs. Now I can't remember WWII, let alone the first one!

Come on Mr B I am sure you are a lot older than that. :)

It's called nostalgia. Anyway I have not heard V Lynn at any sailaway. Now ..... Rod Stewart.

BTW you do not have to go, all you jive bunnies. It is not compulsory. It's just a bit of fun.

If no one is keen then why are the GBS's the best attended of all.

Come on Mr B I am sure you are a lot older than that. :)

It's called nostalgia. Anyway I have not heard V Lynn at any sailaway. Now ..... Rod Stewart.

BTW you do not have to go, all you jive bunnies. It is not compulsory. It's just a bit of fun.

If no one is keen then why are the GBS's the best attended of all.

Because they are not well attended. Arcadia in the Baltic was like gods waiting room and the sailawys, well, best not mention them.

On Ventura a couple of us were leaning on the rail watching the sailaway party. The team were trying hard but the passengers were either Les Dawson ladies in a bad mood or miserable old g.ts. There was no audience participation at all, just mouths full of wasps. I commented that a few free drinks would make a BIG difference.

Perhaps P&O's britishness is actually a problem and not a virtue ;)

I don't often agree with Dai but I do rather enjoy watching, and listening, to a good GBS, and certainly have not heard Vera Lynn recently, we had some great sailaways on our Azura cruise in October and Rod and the Bay city rollers were amongst the oldest they played.

I can't quite bring myself to join in the flag waving but I'm sure the residents of Valletta, who lined the harbour in good numbers as we sailed out on a very sunny afternoon, rather enjoyed it all.

I don't often agree with Dai but I do rather enjoy watching, and listening, to a good GBS, and certainly have not heard Vera Lynn recently, we had some great sailaways on our Azura cruise in October and Rod and the Bay city rollers were amongst the oldest they played.

I can't quite bring myself to join in the flag waving but I'm sure the residents of Valletta, who lined the harbour in good numbers as we sailed out on a very sunny afternoon, rather enjoyed it all.

This is not on. 2 in the same day....indeed a lie down

Lou

You're not alone - I can't stand them either. tacky, cheesy and horrible.

We don't go near them either.

Jean

I agree with some of the comments, whilst on holiday they seem to forget that many passengers (on notably P&O) are not all retired. The Sailaways are so tacky and I really don't understand the need. Oh yes revenue for bar sales.. Although blatantly all entertainment is aimed at the higher age bracket to be polite about it..I mean indoor bowls on a mat and whist?? Really? Its a flash back to my Grandmothers afternoon Sunday club. I personally wont be going on them for a long time (or until Im old enough). Still when I was last on Oriana she was a third empty so clearly not just me feels this way..but as they say each to their own.

Well, sorry folks but we enjoyed the 'tacky' Sailaways. Enjoyed our singing and dancing and flag waving and cocktails on the deck...

And it's not compulsory. You don't have to go. You can stay well away from it if it's not your thing. We probably won't go to them all this next cruise, but will probably pop along for a cocktail then go off....

Lou

Toe-curlingly embarrassing IMHO.

Stuart

I cannot agree that P&O sailaways are tacky, toe curlingly embarrassing, full of Vera Lynn and even WW1 songs or only intended for old Grannies and also poorly attended. In general I have found them to be attended by all age ranges and very popular especially in reasonable weather and very entertaining, sometimes hilariously funny and also requiring expert timing.

I have recounted this story before but IMO its worth repeating. Whilst on the Arcadia in the Caribbean we were berthed alongside one of the German Aida lines ships, both ships nose in to the shore. We were departing first and expertly using our azipods and bow thrusters Arcadia went astern and proceeded to do a half circle around the long berth until Arcadia's stern was just alongside the Aida ship. By this time our sailaway party was in full flag waving swing and we were well into the Music Man routine and had just reached the Dambusters segment as the Captain brought us to a stop and put us into forward motion.

OK so it was exceedingly jingoistic but it went down well with all of us gathered around the stern pool singing our heads off, and lets face it we Brits of whatever race or colour are the world champs at jingoism.

Edited by terrierjohn

I agree with some of the comments, whilst on holiday they seem to forget that many passengers (on notably P&O) are not all retired. The Sailaways are so tacky and I really don't understand the need. Oh yes revenue for bar sales.. Although blatantly all entertainment is aimed at the higher age bracket to be polite about it..I mean indoor bowls on a mat and whist?? Really? Its a flash back to my Grandmothers afternoon Sunday club. I personally wont be going on them for a long time (or until Im old enough). Still when I was last on Oriana she was a third empty so clearly not just me feels this way..but as they say each to their own.

Interesting comments. I too feel that much of P&Os entertainment is still aimed at a generation older than me. To put this in context, I am 66.

As regards sailaways, when I started sailing with P&O in the early 1990s these were limited to Southampton departures, with a band on the quayside and paper streamers, and at the occasional picturesque port, when complementary canapés would be served on deck. The present type of sailaway seems to have mainly arisen in the last 5 years or so, and with one clear purpose; to get you to spend more money in the deck bars. Like everything else nowadays, it is all about maximising onboard revenue.