Thinking about Jumping Ship

This is our first time on the RCCL boards...we are thnking about "jumping ship" from (well you know, the other cruise line) We do love Carnival and have had many wonderful cruises, but with all the cutbacks over the last few years and now the demise of the tablecloths in the MDR, we are thinking it is time to check out other options.

Yes, I know, the tablecloth seems like such a trivial and mundane thing, but it is important to us, along with traditional dining and dressing for dinner.

We love the smaller ships and five day cruises as they are perfect for us.. We are thinking about the Brilliance of The Seas and would love to know as much information as possible. Photos of the ship and canins and any cabins that would be very quiet on the ship. Thank you for any help. I know CC folks are always so nice and helpful and hope that I can find out plenty of information that will encourage to book the cruise. Thank you again.

This is our first time on the RCCL boards...we are thnking about "jumping ship" from (well you know' date=' the other cruise line) We do love Carnival and have had many wonderful cruises, but with all the cutbacks over the last few years and now the demise of the tablecloths in the MDR, we are thinking it is time to check out other options.

Yes, I know, the tablecloth seems like such a trivial and mundane thing, but it is important to us, along with traditional dining and dressing for dinner.

We love the smaller ships and five day cruises as they are perfect for us.. We are thinking about the Brilliance of The Seas and would love to know as much information as possible. Photos of the ship and canins and any cabins that would be very quiet on the ship. Thank you for any help. I know CC folks are always so nice and helpful and hope that I can find out plenty of information that will encourage to book the cruise. Thank you again.[/quote']

Make the jump!!! Will be well worth it! I'm a prior Carnival Cruiser (14 cruises) and switched earlier this year to all Royal Caribbean mixed with a few prior to this year and have loved every minute of it! I'm now on Royal Caribbean cruise 8. I sailed on the Jewel of the Seas last April and vowed why I never sailed more RC ships before. I did a "Live" review with pictures which can be seen below. Jewel of the Sea's is the sister ship to Brilliance.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1826302

I'm leaving tomorrow for my first time on Brilliance of the seas and doing another Live from. Feel free to follow along. This class ship is simply amazing. Depending on my wifi experience I always post pictures.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1954964

Happy Cruising!

Thanks Bilyclub :-)

Edited by MrFunInTheSun

Thank you all so much! I knew I could rely on CC folks to come through with information. I have just talked with RCCL and we are now booked on our first cruise with them. A wonderful aft extended balcony! Although I must say that I am a little sad about not crusing with Carnival.

The tablecloths....Seriously?

While I cannot speak for the OP, the tablecloths are just the latest in a long line of cutbacks Carnival has made in the last few years (live music poolside replaced by dj's, live orchestras replaced by pre-recorded music, dumbed-down menus and on and on) that may have become the breaking point for some.

While I cannot speak for the OP, the tablecloths are just the latest in a long line of cutbacks Carnival has made in the last few years (live music poolside replaced by dj's, live orchestras replaced by pre-recorded music, dumbed-down menus and on and on) that may have become the breaking point for some.

Thank you! I could not have not phrased it any more clear that what you did....All of the above....and yes the tablecloths were the last straw.

We love to cruise with Carnival and if they find these new and "improved" ideas do not work....should they decide to leave the last bit of elegance and use a tablecloth....we would sail with them again...

Thank you.

Thank you all so much! I knew I could rely on CC folks to come through with information. I have just talked with RCCL and we are now booked on our first cruise with them. A wonderful aft extended balcony! Although I must say that I am a little sad about not crusing with Carnival.

See if you feel the same way AFTER you have been on Brilliance.;)

I would imagine that the dining room tables are nothign special to look at because they were meant to have table clothes on them. Or, are the MDR decent enough tables?

To me, the MDR atmosphere has to have table clothes - it's just awkward without.

The Brilliance is one of my favorite RCCL's ships. It's a good choice.

There's several You Tube videos showing the Brilliance. Suggest you do a Google Search using Videos of the Brilliance of the Seas

Thank you.....I did find a video of our exact cabin....NICE...and the balcony is really nice....I'm getting excited!

I would imagine that the dining room tables are nothign special to look at because they were meant to have table clothes on them. Or, are the MDR decent enough tables?

To me, the MDR atmosphere has to have table clothes - it's just awkward without.

Carnival is replacing their previous MDR tables with new ones - they look like glossy dark brown wood tables similar to what you find in many restaurants (Applebees, Red Lobster, etc). They will have tablecloths on Elegant nights but not on cruise casual nights.

I completely understand! Of my 35 cruises, 16 have been on Carnival (starting in 1991). I'm so disappointed in all the recent downgrades.

You'll love the Brilliance! It's very beautiful and a great size. Hopefully the shows and food are still impressive, but I expect you'll have a wonderful time!

Taking away the show band and production shows was HUGE for us. Then they downgraded the menus and took away most soups & salads. Then they removed the freakin' tablecloths and we were done. I do have one more Carnival booked, traveling with others under early saver, so we'll just have to make our own fun!

This is our first time on the RCCL boards...we are thnking about "jumping ship" from (well you know' date=' the other cruise line) We do love Carnival and have had many wonderful cruises, but with all the cutbacks over the last few years and now the demise of the tablecloths in the MDR, we are thinking it is time to check out other options.

We love the smaller ships and five day cruises as they are perfect for us.. We are thinking about the Brilliance of The Seas and would love to know as much information as possible. Photos of the ship and canins and any cabins that would be very quiet on the ship. Thank you for any help. I know CC folks are always so nice and helpful and hope that I can find out plenty of information that will encourage to book the cruise. Thank you again.[/quote']

No tablecloths? Seriously?